62219members
327549posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

October 2017 Chemo Starters

Re: October 2017 Chemo Starters

Reassuring to know that the anxiety I felt yesterday was normal Mishy. Didn't realise bc ladies were seen first, I thought it was because I was upset x

Thank you too for the birthday wishes x

Thank you for the reassurance Jill x

Been meaning to say, I'm really sorry but I ended up with 2 pink pens in my goody bag from Sue, so I must have taken someone else's as well as mine! Smiley Embarassed x

Isn't it your first mammogram this week Shi? xx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Mishy Chemo mullet 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣I’m so glad you are happy with your new hair do and it’s give you 😁😁😁that’s great and lovely to hear, gives the rest of us chemo mullet sporting chics hope that in a few more mullet months we can hot foot it to salon for a new do 🧑👍👍Chemo mullet 😂🤣😂🤣😂I so needed your 🖕🖕🖕humour thanks 💕💕💕✨✨✨shi xx

Jencat the first mammo is a little 😩 i know when i had mine in June i was exactly the same as you pleased when the results came back i had to wait a little while for them but kind of knew after a week and a bit had passed it should be fine, Shi you too sweetie you will be fine they tend to let us bc ladies get in and out i think to help with the anxiety well my trust seem to do it i didn't have to wait with others in waiting area 👍 pleased to hear you had a lovely birthday jencat for you 🎂 have a good one well ladies had my first hair cut today i persevered with the wild curls as i didn't want to end up having the same style continuously used little scarf type hair band things which are really fashionable atm, i finally have a proper style which doesn't scream cancer back at me in the mirror got rid of the chemo mullet had it graduated at back into a short curly way bob/pixie type style it makes me feel much more confident and comfortable as i was starting to hate my hair as it was so uneven but i have to say i think I will miss the curls if they dont stay i have grown to really like them!! Meesh i took your advice about my hair and 👍
Lovely to see you all had a lovely time at your meet up 👭👭👭👭👭👭
Community Champion

Totally normal Jencat - it really takes you back to the trauma of diagnosis .My second mammogram post treatment was a lot easier.

Thank you Shi x I'd got tomorrow all planned out, fancied a day at the seaside with YD. (unfortunately ED can't get away from work, but will celebrate with her at a later date! Smiley Happy) A walk along the front and pier, a nice lunch and then a browse around the gift shops and then my Dad's going to take us out for a meal in the evening-feel very blessed that he is still able to do that+ drive down to me at the age of 90! However it looks like it's going to be sunny every day for the next few days apart from tomorrow! It never rains on my birthday! (Apart from last year when it poured and I made my YD take me out even though it was only a few days after my op, so wasn't walking very fast!) Might have to think of a Plan B for part of the day! xx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi jencat😘😘well done you darlings for getting through yesterday 💪💪💪💪if any of us aren’t a bit 😳😳😳with these first mammograms then that’ll be surprising as I didn’t see any of us had robot packs on our backs this weekend. Now enjoy your birthday lovely, celebrate and 💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻😘😘😘😘💕💕✨✨shi xx

Thank you all for your good wishes, I'm fine, although a little tender (might not be because of the mammogram, boob was already a bit sensitive before I went!)

Everything was fine, but I ended up having a bit of a cry at the breast clinic! I was ok until I sat in the waiting room and then being there last year came flooding back! The nurse was very nice and let YD come with me into the inner-waiting room as well and then I was first to be called-not sure if I was just fortunate or whether they wanted to see me quickly incase I upset anyone else!

The nurse had already told the radiographer I was upset, which was just as well as I ended up having a cry on her as well! I asked her if this was normal and she said that it was, but it gets easier by the time you get to about your third one-does it?! She was matter of fact, but very nice. It was a bit painful, but bearable. Had to do an extra image as one was blurry (not on bc breast fortunately) but she said it was better to do it now than me being recalled and panicking why! Results in 2wks when I see my consultant-guessed that would be the case as I received that appointment letter last September! xx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Jencat are you ok darling? Please let us know, ❤️❤️❤️💕💕✨✨✨shi xx

Hello ladies! Great to meet some of you at the weekend I really had a fab time. Thank you Sue for arranging it for us.

Jencat, hope you got on ok at the mammogram and your boob isn't too sore.

Have we settled on a date for the next meet up? 

How did you get on Jencat?
I think the first mammo is going to be hard for everyone. I don't think I'll get mine until April but quite fancy just getting it out of the way.
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi jencat 👭👭👭darling❤️❤️Yes understand totally, mines this Thursday and trying to look at is as another hurdle on the journey bit like putting your ticket in machine to get out of the station seeing as we pulled the train 🚂 in at the weekend 😘😘😘👍👍👍keep 💪💪💪it’ll be fine, that’s what I keep telling myself anyway 😘😘please let us know how you get on 💕💕✨✨shi xx

Feeling a bit anxious this morning, first mammogram since diagnosis and back to the same place. I know you'll all understand how I feel. Got to leave in about an hour, eek! (app is at 10.45)

I know Meesh said it's ok to take paracetamol beforehand, but does anyone know if ibuprofen is ok to take as I find that works better for me.

I'm still a bit confused as to why I can have the mammo, but not a scan until early Dec (to check radiotherapy worked on the tiny bit of cancer in my internal mammory chain) as that could give a false reading. Would have thought the mammogram would do the same? YD said to trust the professionals as they know better than me! (2 onc's have said it's ok to have it)

I saw my chemo onc last week and she said everything felt fine in both breasts and I had a PET scan in April, but I still feel a bit apprehensive as when I went for the mammogram last June it was just as a precaution as my doctor had said I'd got blocked milk ducts again (I had them 14 years ago in my right breast and even though I told her I'd got a lump this time) so I hadn't been too worried when I went and took YD with me just for company and was planning a day at the seaside afterwards, not to spend all morning there and to come out feeling like someone had been throwing darts at my breast!

I've remembered this time to wear plain black trousers as when I went last year I wore a green patterned skirt which didn't look good with the pink flowery top I was given to put on whilst waiting! xx

Morning Claire-bell! Thank you very much being my 'escalator buddy' on Saturday evening! Smiley Happy How annoying about your card not letting you through! You were right to suggest that we left when we did as I didn't get home until 10.45 having had to catch 3 trains instead of the usual 1! (Apparently the timetable has changed due to the journey now being under Thamelink and I thought I'd be clever and catch an earlier train which resulted in me having to catch an extra one!) I needed a nap Sunday pm!

Don't know what your hair colour was pre-chemo, but I thought your hair looked lovely on Saturday xx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Thank you for birthday wishes ladies 😁😁had a beautiful day and thank you for lovely birthday cards and pressies you gave me at meet up, I love love love them 💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻✨✨✨✨💄💄💄Ali, you will have to text me photo please, I’m umming and arrring about going back to blonde although seeing glamour puss Karana this weekend has nearly made me run for the box of blonde again, clairebell, I thought your hair looked beautiful, I’m thinking about a wash in one though like sue did so it gives us a wash out option if we don’t fancy it, just stay away from any green colours after what Ruthie babes told us about the ‘shrek’ Neck effect 😂🤣😂🤣😂buddyfan hope Cornwall’s being delightful for you darling ❤️❤️✨✨✨💕💕💕shi xx

Hi girlies! Lovely to see so many of you at the meet up.
Can't wait to meet the rest of you in October.
I've been getting an itchy scalp for the last week Buddy so I think it must be new hair coming through. My hair feels very thick now so it's time for a cut this week! Oooh Ali going for the hair colouring - post a picture - I'm trying to decide whether to stay grey or not! Ali - you and I were always around the same time with chemo - I've just passed my year since diagnosis Birthday on 38th July when is yours?
Jencat I ended up getting my husband to collect me from Epsom but the barriers wouldn't acknowledge my card as I was one stop outside zone 6 so I had to drive back to Ewell to end my journey or they would have charged me an extra £10 penalty fare!! Finally got home at 10pm! Still tired and it's now Monday!! Xx

Happy birthday Shi 🎂 have a good one 💖

Shi, Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! etc Heart Hope you're doing something nice and sparkly Smiley Happy and have a really lovely day! xx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

❤️❤️❤️🤣😂🤣😂🤣❤️❤️❤️😘😘😘😘🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻😎😎😎we did mishy 😁😁 the biggest ❤️❤️❤️and thank you to sue for arranging a perfect meet up for us, it’s been so beautiful to pull the 🚂 into the station, even if we didn’t do the arse flashing we threatened to do in the chemo haze way back when, luckily we’d got the steroids out of our system, but meesh nearly kept the side up with her legs it the window last night 😂🤣😂🤣😂she tried to encourage Karana to do it too, but she had to go check for the burglar 😂🤣🤣😂🤣😂amazing to meet you all you brilliant ladies, fizzy, jellytot, Ali, mishy, Helena and buddyfan, you’ll not escape we’ve got your gold hot pants on standby 😁😁😁💕💕💕✨✨✨✨shi xx

Ahh pleased you all had a good time sounds like you have xx

Hi all thanks again .....2 words
Bloody brilliant
Xxxx

Glad you made it home ok Jencat. Lovely to See you. We are all on our journeys back home after a wonderful weekend. Ali I hope you can make the next meet up.
X

Glad you all had a lovely meet up. I got a photo from Shi and you all look amazing! Jencat glad your lump was nothing - i have had to had a toith out so i can have zelondronic acid. Its at the side so no probs. I also took the step of having a patch test and strand test done st the hairdressers yesterday. So far my skin has not reacted and the strands they cut off went a lovely light blonde so i am taking the plunge on Tuesday!! Instead of a grey crop i will be back to blonde!!! Eeek!!! I can hardly believe its 6 months and two weeks since i finished chemo. We are off to Gran Canaria on thursday so may even get my nails and eyebrows done too. Its a bit scary acting normal! Love to all xx

Hope you all have/had good jouneys home. Considering I live the nearest, I ended up having to catch 3 trains home!

Taxi home from the station was interesting-think the taxi driver thought he'd make a bit of extra money and I ended up sharing mine with two men who were slightly worse for wear! Anyway, they insisting on paying for my share of the journey, so I'm not complaining! Smiley Happy x

It was so nice to meet some of you yesterday and to spend a lovely afternoon with you all Smiley Happy x

I hope those staying over had a great pyjama party! Smiley Happy x

Thank you again Sue for organising it all, it was lovely and you couldn't have found a nicer venue x

Glad someone else has a tender scalp, and yes, mine does itch a lot as well. I wonder if it's the new folicles working hard. My hair is really thick now.

Have fun this weekend

It's only me and shi going down today. Will probably do a bit of shopping then we're going to see thriller tonight 😊Have a lovely day Jencat!

Thank you Cassie x It's on a farm, so glad it's nice weather! Actually I know I shouldn't moan, but it's a bit too hot here! (Kent) xx

Buddyfan, I hope you have a lovely time in Cornwall and glad your music festival went so well xx

Thank you Meesh x Yes, you're right, they can do great things with teeth these days.

Didn't realise some of you were coming down today. What are you planning to do for the rest of the day/eve? xx

Yes I am the baby of the group I think. But we are as old as we feel! I can't wait to meet everyone its going to be amazing! Enjoy the wedding this afternoon Jencat. X

Yes, better to be gummy, but alive! Smiley Happy

I know, can't believe it's tomorrow! Smiley Happy It'll be lovely to meet you Cassie x Think you might be the youngest in the group and I think I'm the eldest! Smiley Happy

Off to a family wedding this pm, so a busy (but happy!) couple of days! x

Hello ladies! Currently on the 🚂 to London to meet Shi. So excited 🤗🤗

Buddyfan, enjoy your holiday. I'm not on fb but I am part of the what's app group and we chat quite a bit on there so you could join that if you wanted?

Jencat, what a relief that it was an abscess and as Cassie says that can be easily fixed. They do amazing things with replacement teeth these days. My friend had to have a front tooth removed and now you can't even tell.

Looking forward to tomorrow lovely ladies 😊

It's something that can be sorted Jencat that's the best way to look at it. Hopefully it can be treated without having to lose your tooth.
Yes I am coming tomorrow I'm really excited now can't wait x

Thank you Cassie x Yes, it was such a relief! I'm not thrilled that I might possibily have to lose a tooth, but as the consultant said yesterday, 'look at the bigger picture' and it's a much better option to what it could have been.

You're coming along tomorrow aren't you? I hope so Smiley Happy x

Great news Jencat! X

Ali, my oncologist told me last Monday that I could dye my hair in September-6mths after finishing chemo xx

Thank you all for your good wishes x After nearly 3 hours at the hospital, I'm back home! The consultant was quite dismissive at first and said it was just an abscess (phew!) and more or less said why has your dentist sent you here! Sent me for an x-ray (more waiting around!) and that showed that I've got an abscess caused by a dentist giving me poor root canal treatment years ago. I'm going to need more root canal treatment or possibly lose my tooth, but the main thing is it's not cancer and I can still have the Zoldronic Acid infusions-the consultant said to look at the whole picture and it's better in the long run to still be able to have that and maybe lose a tooth!

YD and I were very moved whilst we were in the waiting room-there was just us and an elderly man with his friend and he told us that after his wife and son died he started writing poetry and has had them published into books that he sells and gives the proceeds to Macmillan. He recited some of the poems to us-one was about life after his wife had died, but how the memories make him happy. Both of us nearly cried! Think we're going to buy one of his books next time we're at the hospital.

Anyway, so happy nothing serious is going on in my mouth and I can enjoy the family wedding tomorrow (need to go shoe shopping this afternoon!) and our get together on Saturday Smiley Happy xx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Buddyfan, that wonderful your music festival was big success and lovely people helped you instead of you doing everything yourself 😘😘have a beautiful time in Cornwall such a lovely part of the UK 😘😘 jencat hope you’ve got on ok this morning sweetheart 🤞🤞❤️❤️Ali, Karana’s already been a rebal and coloured hers, looks fab. I’m too chicken in case it breaks off like mishy says 😫😫any hair is better than turtle head that I was rocking 🤪🤪🤪💕💕✨✨✨shi xx

Thank you Jill x

Community Champion

Good luck Jencat 🤞🤞🤞

Off to the hospital this morning to get the lump on my gum checked and feeling quite nervous even though my dentist has told me he thinks it's nothing to worry about. Before bc I probably wouldn't have felt too anxious about it x

Buddy enjoy your holiday you lucky thing Cornwall should be lovely atm pleased your event went well enjoy the curly hair too xxx

Ali be careful with the hair colour a lady i know who had chemo had her hair dyed blonde at a salon and it all snapped shes never had this happen before the girl said colour must have been too strong my hairdresser said she wouldn't colour mine!!! However iys now officially long enough for a proper hairstyle 👍😃 just a little advice to make sure that the colour isn't too harsh x

Hi Buddyfan - ooh enjoy Cornwall!!

I have a tender scalp too and its very itchy! Is yours itchy too? My hair is thick and i want to colour it but i am scared of reacting due to the itchiness. My hairdresser says there is no redness.

Hope yours gets better and you have a fab holiday xx

PS, I can't join you on fb as my OH uses my fb profile. Pretty much all my posts are from him.

Hi Ladies, have a great time this weekend.

Our music fest was a couple of weekends ago and was a huge success. Everyone had a very chilled out time. Best of all, a few rallied round and cleaned the house. Windows done, shower screen Viakalled, floor scrubbed etc etc. My MIL, did the beds and kept coming round to check I wasn’t doing too much and told the others to make sure I rested! I’m getting very good at delegating.

Packing, very slowly for Cornwall now. It’s all the sundry bits and bobs that take the time to find. I’m not looking forward to the journey from Norfolk, it was substantially easier from Herts.

Do any of you have a tender scalp at times. Pretty sure it’s not sunburnt as I’m very careful and my hair is really thick chemo curls now. Everyone says I should keep it short as it suits me.
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi jencat 😘😘really pleased all going well with recovery 👍👍you’ve a busy week next week enjoy yourself 😁😁mishy, good to see your dr etc are following up with checks on you, that’s peace of mind for you instead of having to fight for things like you did with the brca test 😘😘buddyfan, hope you are ok lovely, has your music festival taken place? I hope you had a beautiful day and no awkwardness from anyone darling 🤞🤞😘😘💕💕✨✨shi xx