327553posts
cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

October 2018 Chemo starters

Community Champion

Re: October 2018 Chemo starters

Oh no, pinklily, I’m sorry to hear you had such a rough night! I’m glad they got some IV antihistamines into you and I hope you start to feel better soon. πŸ€žπŸ’

I hope those of you who had chemo recently are feeling alright. Fingers crossed you’ve all managed to get some sleep. My angel of a mother in law took our little girl last night so I got a proper sleep in this morning! πŸ‘ΌπŸ‘

Lou45, I shaved my hair off early on. It has started coming out now and I’m so pleased it’s already very short as it’s not been too distressing for me. Hopefully it starts to feel better for you soon.

Love to all! πŸ˜˜πŸ’•xox

morning ladies,

pinklilly hope you are okay and feeling better today,

hope all the lovely ladies are doing okay and feeling fine,

i have a bit of a dilema my hair is coming out quite alot now i was wandering if anyone else losing hair is experiencing the same sensation as i am its like a prickly feeling and tender to touch it is also tender when i lie down, i am thinking about braving the shave just to get it over with ,

any suggestions or advice ?

thanks in advance ,

lou xx

Community Champion

Oh no pinklily... What a nightmare for you! And your OH! πŸ’™
How are you feeling today? A lot better hopefully!

Thinking about you x πŸ’—πŸ’ͺ🏼

Had a nightmare night on Friday, hubby phoned the emergency number for chemo and they told him to phone 999 for an ambulance, I had terrible trouble swallowing, Friday night in hospital with drunks, druggies and people who had been in fights.
I felt so ill, the staff were lovely and tried to put me on a bed away from other people. The doctor came to a conclusion that I had some reaction to the sickness medication I'd taken, gave me a strong intrevenous of antihistamines and that seemed to help. Got home and into bed at 4.30 totally exhausted. Not a good start and so stressful for my OH.

Ladies hang on in there as Shi says the silk pillowcases are lovely for the head i found my head would get really hot at night with the flushes so the silk pillow case wasn't as sticky and stuffy my little tip is a couple of lavender drops on a hanky under pillow helps you relax and sleep better i found the wobbles i remember them Mai how right you are we are like weebles we are all standing upright and were where you lasses are last year and Mai's blog is fab πŸ’ͺ stay strong and sending you some positive vibes xxx
Community Champion

Lou45, wobbles are normal but we are weebles and weebles wobble but they don't fall down!  I took my afternoon steroids no later than 3pm otherwise there was no chance of sleeping.   xx

Good afternoon lovely ladies,
Hope you all keeping warm on this cold day we have a bit of snow falling at the moment,
Hope you are all feeling okay,
I think ive got over my wobble from the other day,

aneeebel think it was the wig thing that did it for me too, but onwards and upwards, i too had steroids for 3 days but i still not sleeping well.

Fiona hope you feeling okay too,
I havent slept proply since i had my first round they said it was probly all the meds i am taking,

Have a good weekend ladies stay πŸ’ͺ, and warm ,
Lou πŸ’• x
Highlighted
Community Champion

Aneeebel, I don't have any steroids to take, it was just nerves keeping me awake.
Best of luck and have a nice weekend.
πŸ’œ Fiona xxx
Community Champion

Hi πŸ’œFiona... I feel relatively OK in my self... Just tired...flipping steroids kept me awake all night again! Luckily I only have to take them for 3 days! I'm also a bit unsteady on my feet but that happened last time too! Fingers crossed I carry on feeling this well!
I feel very fragile today for some reason! πŸ˜₯πŸ’—πŸ’ͺ🏼

So pleased you're feeling well! Onwards and Upwards! πŸ’— xx

πŸ’—πŸ’ͺπŸΌπŸ’—πŸ’ͺπŸΌπŸ’—πŸ’ͺπŸΌπŸ’—
Community Champion

Hi Aneeebel

I'm surprised at how well I feel to be honest. No sickness, just very slight nausea but I'm wearing my sea sickness bands and it seems to be helping, not had to resort to the anti-sickness pills yet.  I do have a headache which started on the C input yesterday. But it's better than it was yesterday and I've not resorted to painkillers, just drinking loads. The only thing is I have a flushed face, but temperature is fine. 

I didnt sleep very well because I was expecting to be ill! So I'm still tired but managing to do housework etc.

How are you after No 2? I do hope you're ok πŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺ

Take care all of you and keep fighting, you lovely ladies.

πŸ’œ Fiona xxx

Community Champion

Hi πŸ’œFiona... Glad yr treatment went okay for you! Hope you're feeling well... One down!! πŸ’—πŸ’ͺ🏼 xx

Hi Lou45... I suddenly feel very fragile too for some reason! I think it's the wig that's tipped me over the edge! πŸ™„ (As well as everything else!) Keep your chin up... We're all on our way up!!! xx πŸ’—πŸ’ͺ🏼

@ktk @shi @kip @Mai7... Thankyou for your advice... I'm holding onto the bungi chord with both hands!!!

Have a good w/end everyone xx

πŸ’—πŸ’ͺπŸΌπŸ’—πŸ’ͺπŸΌπŸ’—πŸ’ͺπŸΌπŸ’— xx
Community Champion

Shi, you're bonkers! Heart  I'm just DJ'ing in for any late joiners who may have missed my blog earlier in the month http://lifeafterlola.blogspot.com  it's full of tips we collected along our chemo journey which you may find useful.  I'll leave you with a little late night luuuurve "Caravan of Love" by the Housemartins - that was our chemo song in the May 2017 starters. xxxx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

πŸ‘­πŸ‘­πŸ‘­πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜hi girls, sending ❀️❀️❀️and see how πŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺyou are all hangling onto that bungi chord while you bounce through this πŸ€ͺπŸ€ͺπŸ€ͺπŸ€ͺride. Few more tip, silk pillowcase is gentle on head and will be kinder to hair when it starts returning. Also get your look good feel better sessions booked in with your local Macmillan centres ❀️❀️❀️ if you can’t get on for a while, go to a boots or Debenhams the beauticians on the counters are usually the ladies who do the Lgfb sessions and they will show you at their counter and help you, they will be kind and lovely ❀️❀️❀️ time on the chemo jukebox for tonight for you, we are family by sister sledge πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ•ΊπŸ•ΊπŸ•ΊπŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨βœ¨βœ¨Shi xx
Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Wow ladies you are doing well, the hair/wig issue is a biggie at first but once its gone you do get used to it, go with whatever you feel is right, wigs arent for everyone, mine looked lovely but i still hated having to wear it.  Now its getting colder out there will be lovely snuggly hats to wear.  Somebody mentioned what to do about eyebrows and lashes?  I didnt lose mine until chemo 5 out of 6 but if you can book yourselves on to the Looking Good Feeling better course, its free and you get shown how to draw in eyebrows etc and you get lots of lovely freebies.. its a really good pamper for you and a few hours away from this nightmare!

Keep ticking off the days,, 

Kip

Xx

Pinklily ,
I would just like to thank you for your kind words they made me bit teary but i know what you mean i have said to people i am still the same person inside even when i have no hair,
must admit your words have picked me up and i will keep holding on to those hands πŸ€—,
Lou πŸ’•x

The scarfs are very fashionable, I've seen a lot of people wearing them, I'm going to wear mine even when my hair grows back.
Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Ladies if you struggle with continued sickness please speak to chemo or help line there are other sickness pills to try, dont suffer in silence, also have you tried anti sickness travel bands?  

Kip

ktk

Lovely ladies, only go for a wig if you really want one. I decided not to bother and didn’t even go and look. In the summer I just went bald but now it is colder I have a plethora of colourful scarves to choose from. Love to all and good luck with your chemo. Kxx

Hold on in there Lou45, we are here for you and I know you don't feel like yourself anymore, but inside you are still the beautiful person you always have been. I know it's easy to say, but our looks are on the outside, people see us for what we are in our behavior and I know your confidence has been knocked back, but you're not alone and we all know what you are going through. You have to look in that mirror and say, I'm me and I can do this, because we all have our arms around you to give you support and you are you. When this is all over, you will look back and say 'I got through and out the other side and I'm still me. We are all holding hands, don't let go now.

Afternoon ladies,
Hope you all doing okay on this cold afternoon,
I havent been on here for a bit but if i honest i have been struggling this week i think its just hit me with what i am dealing with,
I too saw the wig lady yesterday and wasnt impressed i have short hair and everything she showed me was nothing like me, when i got home i was quite upset,

Fiona sorry forgot to wish you luck for today hope all went well and you feeling okay,
The same goes for any other ladies that have had treatment today,
I have my second one on tuesday feeling bit anxious if i honest although my first one went okay and i wasnt to bad i got a feeling i wont be so lucky this time, my hair has started to come out now too i just dont feel like myself anymore i started off real positive but i not so much now 😫,
Take care and stay πŸ’ͺ
Lou πŸ’•
Community Champion

Well done Fiona, one down! πŸ‘πŸ’ͺπŸ’•πŸ˜˜
Community Champion

Afternoon ladies, so first session of chemo done. No immediate side effects yet other than slight headache 😁
I hope you're all safe and taking care of yourselves πŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺ
Only another 125.5 days to go for me now on this stage, as long as it goes to plan 😜. I've even done post it notes for each week and cycle so that I can tick each day off and see progress.
Big hugs to you all πŸ€—πŸ€—
πŸ’œ Fiona xxx

@Sar_ah My eyebrows and eyelashes have thinned, but as I had pretty thick eyebrows, the change has only been noticeable to me and my OH -- and I am through 5 cycles (3 FEC and 2 TPH, with TPH no. 3 of 4 today). I did lose body hair (armpit, back of legs, pubic) in cycle 1, faster actually than my head hair, which was thin at cycle 2, with a few locks holding on til cycle 5! (I didn't cold cap.) Hair is growing back now -- a few millimetres, approaching a centimetre, despite being on Herceptin in addition to the taxane. I have heard I might lose eyebrows and eyelases in cycle 6 or 7, despite promising hair regrowth.

Best of luck today ladies having chemo! Thinking of you all ❀️
Had my port fitted yesterday which went well although I’ve rather suddenly started losing a lot of hair, I had the cold cap so wasn’t quite expecting it and have totally been in denial! I’ve also started to lose a lot of body hair ... I didn’t think that have til later, it hasn’t started to to go from my eyelashes or eyebrows but has anyone had any tips for when it does?
Hope you all have a lovely weekend and get lots of rest when you can Smiley Happy
Community Champion

All the best Aneeebel for today πŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺ
πŸ’œ Fiona xxx
Community Champion

Good luck for today ladies πŸ’ͺ
I couldn't agree more with Sarah, if it wasn't for you all going through the same stuff, I'd be even more scared. It helps to know we can talk and know that we truly understand each other.
I had a meeting with the wig lady yesterday at hospital and I too got upset by it. I guess it just makes this nightmare become reality 😒
Oh well, time to get up and get ready for round 1 πŸ₯Š
Good luck girls πŸ’œ Fiona xxx
Community Champion

Hi Shi... Thankyou so much for your lovely message...oooooouzing with positivity and kindness, made me smile 😘 You're right of course, we're all allowed the odd blip.. But I'll get my karate kid outfit on again...and give it all I've got!! πŸ’ͺπŸΌπŸ’—πŸ’ͺπŸΌπŸ’—

ElliesMum...Yes, lots of challenges, but we'll get there in the end... (The limbo cover is fab, Tvm x πŸ’—)

Sar_ah... Thanks for thinking of us πŸ’— I'm glad it's not only me with the wig too...I thought I was being dramatic! πŸ’—πŸ’ͺ🏼

πŸ’œFiona... Best of luck for today πŸ’—πŸ’ͺ🏼

Best wishes to all us October ladies... Take care and Thanks for being here...xx

πŸ’—πŸ’ͺπŸΌπŸ’—πŸ’ͺπŸΌπŸ’—πŸ’ͺπŸΌπŸ’—πŸ’ͺπŸΌπŸ’—

Morning everyone, just wanted to say that I too have found the whole wig thing really traumatic. The wig provider at my hospital had the most awful selection  with nothing in a mid length. I completely freak out at my first appointment. 

Friends then recommend a local business and I went to see them, what a difference, massive of choice and in fact the first one I tried on I ended up buying. They even had a hairdresser on site who then cut it properly to my style. Back to the hospital to have another go. I realised just how terrible the NHS ones were compared to private. I ended up getting a completely different style to my own on the basis it didn’t make me look like a witch, instead it is more bagpuss! I really feel for those who have no option but to take the free one.

The only positive to come from the day was meeting everyone at the Maggie’s centre. They grabbed me as I came out of the fitting, sat me down with a cup of tea and were really really lovely to me. I just felt so much better after my chat with them.  Goodness, this journey is hard isn’t it! 

Good luck to to everyone who is having chemo today, 

Hugs

Community Champion

Good luck for today ladies πŸ’ͺ
I couldn't agree more with Sarah, if it wasn't for you all going through the same stuff, I'd be even more scared. It helps to know we can talk and know that we truly understand each other.
I had a meeting with the wig lady yesterday at hospital and I too got upset by it. I guess it just makes this nightmare become reality 😒
Oh well, time to get up and get ready for round 1 πŸ₯Š
Good luck girls πŸ’œ Fiona xxx

Good luck for all you lovely ladies having chemo tomorrow, you’ve got this πŸ’ͺ🏻πŸ’ͺ🏻πŸ’ͺ🏻
I know what you mean about the wigs, I went in a shop, came home and cried! I’m kind of glad to hear it’s a β€œnormal” reaction. It’s so lovely to have all you ladies here in my phone, it can be such a lovely journey while being surrounded my people at the same time but this forum as really helped that πŸ’•
Community Champion

Oh Aneeebel, I’m so sorry to hear that getting a wig upset you. This process has so many challenges for us to deal with! Like you, pinklily, I decided to brave the shave in the week after my first chemo. I went to the barber shop a short walk from where I live and had them shave off my shoulder-length hair. They were fabulous - wouldn’t even let me pay afterwards! It honestly felt really liberating.

I’ve been back at work since shaving my head, wearing a wig. (I tend to wear beanies or hats otherwise.) I personally hated the wig initially and had to be convinced by my husband to go for it (wanted to run out of the shop empty handed and put my head in the sand!). Most people at my workplace don’t realise that I’m going through chemo and I have received several genuine compliments on my fabulous new hairstyle! πŸ˜‚πŸ™ˆπŸ€·β€β™€οΈ I’m slowly getting used to the wig and, as Shi suggests, I’m thinking of finding some β€œfun” wigs too to mix things up a bit! Also buying lots of gorgeous beanies! πŸ€—πŸ‘

XoxπŸ˜˜πŸ’•

Should have said, I had I shaved last Saturday, I want to be in control as much as possible, I'm not going to let the cancer control me

Good luck to everyone having chemo tomorrow hope it is not too bad for you. I had my hair cut really short four weeks ago, a grade 2, then a lovely man who overheard my conversation on the phone to Sarah at the barbers, wanted to pay for the cost of having my hair shaved, as his sister had cancer last year. He didn't leave his name, just wished me well and paid for me. So I don't have any hair, but I have purchased loads of beautiful scarf chemo hats from Hong Kong and China.
I'm ready for all events, even got the difflam you were all talking about and the child toothbrush.
Hopefully I won't need the difflam.
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Aneeebel πŸ‘­πŸ‘­πŸ‘­it’s good to have a cry our hair is so important, but more important is the beautiful person you are, that shines bright with fight and strength (if you don’t see it yet, it’s there and it will just shine brighter and brighter) as you jump through this a jump at a time πŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺtry a few luvyababes wigs for around Β£20 too if you can, it’s good to have a selection, through a few tinsel wigs in too for good measure, I did. On days when you might not see you looking back in the mirror you are there with your karate kid outfit on fighting for all you are worth and all of us behind you too πŸ‘­πŸ‘­πŸ‘­πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨βœ¨Shi xx
Community Champion

Hi πŸ’œFiona... Good luck for tomorrow, will be thinking of you x πŸ’—πŸ’ͺ🏼

Hi ElliesMum... Thank you for thinking of me x πŸ’—πŸ’ͺ🏼

Hi MurphyC... Yes, I ended up in hospital too! My hair is starting to fall out, it's been okay until the last couple of days but my scalp has gone tender and I seem to be losing more when I wash it! I haven't been brave enough to shave it off as yet! I went for a wig today and when I got home I was so upset it I actually cried! Can't actually get my head around me getting a wig!!
Any way...sorry, I'm waffling... Good luck for tomorrow! πŸ’—πŸ’ͺ🏼

πŸ’—πŸ’—πŸ’—πŸ’—πŸ’—πŸ’—

Community Champion

Best of luck for tomorrow, FiMillan, Aneeebel and MurphyC! I will be thinking of you all. πŸ’ͺπŸ˜˜πŸ’•πŸ€ž

Pinklily, I believe that side effects usually follow a pattern each cycle, but there are sometimes different drugs (especially anti-sickness medications) that can be prescribed that might work better for you. I’m having FEC at the moment and I felt pretty nauseous and horrible for the first week (especially th first few days), but feel great now 2 weeks later. Hopefully you will start to feel better soon! 🀞😘

Hello Ladies

It’s been an interesting first cycle - felt great, then in hospital with high temperature, hair has all fallen out and started to feel OK again...like a number of you, cycle 2 tomorrow!!!

Good luck everyone with your treatment, hope it goes well. xxx

Community Champion

Hi Aneeebel
Hope you're well and no 2 goes well tomorrow.
I've just got back from pre-assessment with my anti-sickness pill and steroids ready for tomorrow morning.
Good luck tomorrow to you and all of us πŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺ
πŸ’œ Fiona xxx
Community Champion

Hi Pinklily, I've felt sick every day since I had chemo... Not constantly but it comes in waves!
Today is the best I've felt with regards to nausea and I'm going back tomorrow for chemo No.2!!! Typical!
Anyway...it's not getting me again! Haha! At least I know what to expect...I will be more prepared!!
Hope you feel better soon! πŸ’—

Best wishes to all us October ladies...and every other lady of course! πŸ’—
πŸ’—πŸ’ͺπŸΌπŸ’—πŸ’ͺπŸΌπŸ’— xx

Ladies, do you feel sick after every chemo cycle, or does your body get used to it. I'm drinking loads and have taken the anti sickness drugs, but still feel sick and just nibbling on cream crackers.
Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Oh thats strange pinklilly it was a chemo nurse who told me.. best to listen to yours then.

Hi kip
I had my first chemo yesterday and was told not to take any vitamins at all unless prescribed, the nurse said they can counteract some of the chemo drugs. When I asked about my vit c, they said certainly not.
Community Champion

Thanks Kip, something else to add to the shopping list 🀣
Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello ladies, sorry to just pop in,  im from the June chemo thread and was just having a thought about the nasty tongues and lack of taste buds due to chemo and remembered this tip.  Get the vitamin c tables (the ones jn a tube which you disolve jn water) and let half a tablet dissolve on your tongue, it helpa cut through the sliminess, yoh ccan do a whole one but they are quite sharp.  Juat a tip to pass on.

Kip

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Sarah 😘😘ring your team darling and speak to someone, they have seen everything and will be able to advise you and give you peace of mind. Keep πŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺyou can alll πŸ₯ŠπŸ₯ŠπŸ₯ŠπŸ₯Šthis β€οΈβ€οΈβ€οΈπŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨βœ¨Shi xx

Hi FiMillan,
Read your post and just wanted to say πŸ‘‹ I have a lump in my right breast 2.6mm and one in my armpit..My armpit one is painful and swollen and the boob one sort of well β€˜moves’ a bit..i’ve Had 2 FEC so far and I think they say it’s shrinking a bit! I’m having my chemo up front too which frustrates me a little as although they say from biopsy & ultrasound it’s in 1 node sometimes it sounds like it’s spread more at the time of surgery. Just feels a bit weird having it in me too as I’d wished it could be removed ASAP!! Anyway we just have to trust the medical experts I guess! Have a great day all x
Community Champion

Hi Sarah

I can't really comment as I've not had surgery yet, doing chemo first but I would recommend you speak to your team about it asap. My lump Humphrey in my boob has a mate Patricia in the armpit. Both are hard, and the armpit one can hurt. I thought I could feel it growing recently but the BC consultant said that was due to the biopsy and poking and prodding.  The armpit tumour is more sensitive apparently.

Get it checked out as soon as you can so it can be dealt with if necessary or, fingers crossed, it's absolutely nothing to worry about and you can just focus on getting through chemo.

Thinking of you πŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺ

πŸ’œ Fiona xxx

Don’t know if anyone can help on this one. I have developed a lump under my armpit, (the side my cancer was) I noticed it at the end of last week and just assumed it was hormonal and would go away but it’s not, it hurts when I poke it’s too and feels quite hard. I’m 12 days into my cycle and feel ok other than the mystery lump.
I feel a bit silly asking but are lumps and bumps appearing just part of chemo!? I wasn’t really worried but I’m having a port fitted Thursday and my minds starting to run away with itself πŸ€¦β€β™€οΈ

Thank you aneeebel, it sounds like it's going to be easy, my veins are a bit small but I'm drinking loads. I will ask if the district nurse can come in, but sometimes they can't come on the same day every week. We don't live to far from the hospital, only 12 miles, so if I have to go there, it's not a great problem. Feeling a bit nervous about tomorrow now, but I've got a busy evening, I hope that helps.
Community Champion

@pinklily I've had a picc line fitted... Was quite straight forward -had an ultra sound scan to check where my veins where and if they were suitable, I then had a local anaesthetic and the line was inserted, I then went for an X-ray to check it was in the right place and then you go back to the unit to have the picc line area cleaned and a dressing put on it... I couldn't really feel too pain afterwards, it's more like having a small cut...cleared up quickly and so much easier than having needles/canullas for treatment or blood tests! The district nurse comes out once a week to flush it and change the dressing! I would recommend it if you have the option! πŸ’—πŸ’ͺ🏼 x