327668posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

October 2018 Chemo starters

Re: October 2018 Chemo starters

Ellie's Mum

Sorry to hear you are having such a rough night - if it's any consolation Im on my 4th round of chemo and I've never managed to sleep much on the day if treatment. Mine was Thursday and I rested but didn't really fall asleep. I've managed to get about 5 hours tonight though!

Hope you start to feel better soon

Sue xx

Hello readers I am new to this forum.  Yesterday I received my second round of FEC 32 days after my first infusion.  I was anxious and apprehensive as my first round had proved so traumatic.  In the last round I felt nauseous from day 1.  Side effects increased and I thought that day 6 was my worst with nausea, acid reflux, lethargy, low mood, feeling tearful, negative self thought, and an imagery where I was trying to find the end of a piece of string but couldn’t.  That night I kept waking in a cold sweat with the negative thought and trying, unsuccessfully, to find the end of string.  Day 9 I was admitted to hospital with Sepsis and neutropenia, my neutrophils were down to 0.1.  I had a barrage of tests, daily bloods, drips etc.  I lost my voice, struggled with breathing, and developed a rash.  On day 18 I was discharged only to be readmitted on day 21 until day 25.

Day 30 I say my oncology consultant who reduced the Epirubicin and Cyclophosphamide by 30% and the Fluorouracil by 40% as she felt this was responsible for the skin rash.  My oncologist has also added extra meds to deal with other side effects.

My nurse yesterday was very thorough.  She took a long history and made some sound recommendations.  I had nausea yesterday which seems to have settled.  The one new side effect seems to be rather embarrassing as I have a vaginal itch, I’ll have to try yoghurt!

ida xx

ktk

Ellie’s mum, I’m sorry you are having such a rough time. You should not be so I’ll and clearly they haven’t got your antiemetics meds right. Don’t wait, call the helpline and get it sorted.

Well done to hubby. I know it is difficult with your daughter but I am afraid you need to concentrate on you at the moment, that way she will get to enjoy having her mum for many years to come. Lots of love Kxx
Community Champion

Hello lovely ladies!

Thanks, Fiona, for asking after me. Unfortunately, I’m not doing so well. Had my first FEC this afternoon and have been violently ill since. Four episodes of vomiting, terrible nausea, can’t get to sleep. Temp is normal. Have totally abandoned my husband to deal with our little girl all evening -who is crying for Mamma as I write this. Chemo is sh!t!

Apologies for the rant. If I’m sick again I will have to call the chemo line. I only got home 5 hours ago! 😞 Anyone have any suggestions of things I could try to ease the nausea and/or to get some sleep? Was drinking loads of water (finding that difficult now) and have taken all the prescribed anti-sickness stuff I can. Xox
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

😘😘reddi time for a bit of we are family by sister sledge on the chemo jukebox for the 💪💪💪💪beautiful amazing Oct 18 girls 💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻❤️❤️❤️dance floor girls and let those steroids get you chemo 🤪🤪🤪🤪💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻💕💕💕✨✨✨✨Shi xx
Community Champion

Evening ElliesMum, how are you? I've been thinking about you today. I hope your first chemo went well 💪
💜 Fiona xxx

I want to echo my fellow Junebug @Kip on using the chemo hotline. Our lovely community champion Shi, from the October 2017 chemo starters, said early and often that we should call our chemo hotline whenever we had concerns -- and it was invaluable advice. I called for serious stuff (spiking a fever, swelling  and pain in my arm, severe diarrhea) and confusing stuff (can I take an antihistamine for hayfever? should I be worried about unusual-for-me acid reflux?), and the nurses on the other end have always been terrific -- supportive, helpful, informative, reassuring when that made sense; concerned and sending me to the A&E when that was called for. Do not hesitate to lean on them.

[That one of the nurses recognizes my voice is only *mildly* alarming, as I've got a very obvious American accent. Smiley Very Happy]

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello October ladies,

I'm from the June Chemo thread and have just finished my 3 x Fec and 3 x T chemo sessions so can fully relate to all your worries.   I have to say the thought of chemo was definately a lot worse than the actual chemo itself, although of course I didn't escape side effect free.  I found the FEC affects usually begain about day 4-5 and felt a bit like morning sickness when pregnant, I even got strange cravings... beetroot and salt n vinegar crisps!   Take the anti-sickness tablets you are given, even if you don't feel sick, after a cycle you will find that you know when and how often you require them.   I used the travel bands too for FEC, almost got too scared to take them off as wasn't sure if they were working or not.   After about day 7 I found I felt a lot better and pretty much normal for the next 2 weeks so make the most of the good days,  plan nice things to do.   I did, however, lose my hair by day 12 of first FEC, I braved the shave on day 15 and although that was distressting at the time, once it had gone you quickly adapt and its quite liberating.  There are lots of cheap scarves and hats on line, and remember to get your prescription for help with a wig if you want one, my hospital gave me one and I had to pay £70 for my wig, its very nice and nobody can tell, but its not for everyone and I must confess I like to be wig free a lot of the time.   Also by 2nd T my hair had started to grow back and now I have a full covering, albeit fluffy and white and very very short but it is definately coming back!  The T part of the chemo was different set of side effects, more mouth issues and the tiredness does build up so rest when you can and don't be afraid to just go to bed if you need to!

I found keeping a chemo diary helped, I wrote in when I took my medication as you can end up with quite a few to take, and also you get to recognise a pattern in th cycles and can plan for it.

Please don't be afraid to call the chemo hotline if you have any questions, or your nurses, thats what they are there for, the hotline is great for offering advise and they want to keep you safe.

Be strong, you will do it and keep on talking on here, it really does help.

Kip

xx

Community Champion

Sounds like you're having a wonderful day 😁 How do you actually feel?

I've just finished work for the day and am enjoying a half of cider before driving my husband and his 21 year old son home so that they can go out drinking for the afternoon 😅🍺

Enjoy your film 💜 Fiona xxx

Hi fiona,
Thanks for that i am snuggled on sofa with blankey round me and i very sad to say i waching a xmas film (sorry) 🎅😁,

26th will some come round, and i know what you mean about pin cushion my hands and arm are nicely bruised,

Its raining and windy here too in walsall,
Take care keep warm and dry,
Lou 💕
Community Champion

Morning Lou

I'm glad to hear that you're feeling okay - tired I can cope with too!  There's nothing better than being snuggled up on the sofa in the front of the fire with a good book or a good film!

I don't start until 26th - it feels ages away yet.  I've just booked my MRI scan for next Sunday 21st, blood test on Monday (does anyone else feel like a pin cushion?).  Life has become a series of hospital or Dr's surgery appointments.

Take care, keep warm (it's raining here in Derbyshire) and keep napping Smiley Very Happy

HeartFiona xx

Morning ladies hope you are all well ,👍

Sarah hope you feeling okay today after your first session, i feel bit tierd but i can cope with that,
Stay warm and look after yourself ,
💕

Elliesmum hope it all goes okay for you today good luck , take care of your self too stay 💪💕,

Fiona when do you actualy start treatment forgive me if i have asked once 😄 hope you okay too 💕

And of course to all the other lovely ladies on this journey stay 💪 and we will beat it together 🤗💕xx
Community Champion

Thanks so much, Fiona! Fingers crossed the side effects are gentle with me 🤞

I hope all of you ladies who’ve recently started/are about to begin are doing well. Love to all! 💕😘💐
Community Champion

Good luck for tomorrow, ElliesMum, wishing you all the very best 💪

💜 Fiona xx

Community Champion

Evening Sarah, I'm so pleased to hear you're ok.  That's one down, well done 💪

No, I'm not really taking time off before treatment but I'm in a bit of a privileged position. I work for my husband in his business and I'm part time anyway, I just float in about 9.30 most days, do anywhere between 2 and 7 hours, for 4 days a week 😜 Once a month, I do a Friday morning too.  And I should be able to work from home on those days I can't be bothered to go in, or if I'm not up to driving.

Hope you have a good rest tonight.

💜 Fiona xx

Hi sarah glad you got through your first round okay, how was the cold cap i decided against it i have short hair anyway but i have said when it starts to come out i will brave the shave 🙄,
Take it easy and just do what your body tells you to mine told me to have a kip this afternoon so i did 😂,
Lou 💕

Hi elliesmum sorry to hear you having a bit of a nightmare with things but at least you sorted now and ready for tomorrow good luck hope it goes okay,
Take care stay 💪,
Lou 💕
Community Champion

Good luck with the cold cap, Sarah! One chemo down. 💪

I went in to have my picc line inserted this morning... and ended up in theatre having a Hickman line put in instead. 🤦‍♀️ Nothing seems to be straightforward with me for the moment! Very lucky that they managed to squeeze me in and do it immediately, so I can still start chemo tomorrow (as has already been delayed twice). Very sore right now, though! Apparently my upper arm veins are rubbish; too small and too close to the arteries for them to safely insert a picc line. So Hickman line it is. Sigh. I was feeling good this morning! Hopefully the pain subsides a bit before first chemo tomorrow 🤞

Love to all! Xox

Thank you Lou Smiley Happy
I’ve just finished the first lot of chemo and have an hour left of the cold cap, feeling ok just a bit spaced out, will see how tonight goes. The cold cap wasn’t as bad as expected, I just look a bit silly 😜
Do you have some time off work before treatment Fiona?
I’m not sure why they suggested the port to be honest Ktk but it seems to be there preferred method, I still haven’t decided
Community Champion

Hi Lou

I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling reasonably well, fingers crossed I react in a similar way when the time comes.  

Take care, have a good day.  (I've not long come out of a 3 hour finance meeting, followed by typing up the minutes Smiley Frustrated, work as normal for me for a couple more weeks.)

Heart Fiona xx

ktk

Hi Sarah. Why do they want to fit a port? It is a more invasive procedure but is more for long term use. Kx

Hi sarah good luck for today hope it all goes well for you,
Stay 💪💕 lou x

Morning fiona thanks for the advice on sickness bands i will get some just incase day 3 for me on fec and touch wood i feel okay dont wont to jinx it though i have a bit of a sweat on in the night and my face feels a bit flushed but other than that i doing okay,
Hope you going okay ,
Lou 💕
ktk

Hi Sarah, I bought some semi shaped scarves from Amazon and some square scarves from the high street. Avoid the shiny ones as they don’t stay in place!! Kx
Community Champion

Yes, Sar_ah, scarves from Primark and the like are perfect. We can all look fabulous with beautiful headwear whilst going through treatment! 🤗🧣👍
Best of luck starting chemo today, too. I’ll be thinking of you too! Xox 🤞💪💐💕
Community Champion

Good luck for today Sarah, I'll be thinking of you 💪💪💜 Fiona xx

Morning ladies! Chemo starts for me today, been up for hours but feeling positive and just keep thinking one down after today, I think it’s the side effects I feel more daunted by but reading so many positive comments is helpful Smiley Happy
Ellie’s mum did you just get normal scarves like you’d normally get from primark etc? A friend suggested that to me, would be good if that’s an option Smiley Happy
Hope you all have a lovely day

Hello Fiona, I'm from the Oct '17 chemo thread. Just wanted to say that I used the sea sickness bands during chemo and they worked for me as I wasn't sick once, (just felt a bit queasy a couple of times, but fine once I'd had a ginger biscuit and taken the sea sickness pills I was given in my goody bag from hospital) so hoping they'll help you too. I put them on before I had the chemo drugs and then kept them on for a few days afterwards. (I was a bit apprehensive to take them off, so probably kept them on longer than I needed to!) 

Hope everything goes well for you and the other ladies on here as you start your chemo xx

Community Champion

Thanks Fiona! I’ll let you know how I get on with the first round of FEC. 🤞

The waiting is so frustrating, isn’t it! I was supposed to start two weeks ago but kept being delayed by post-surgery infection complications. I hope the wait passes quickly for you, and that you manage to get everything prepared ahead of time. If you do have 2 weeks to wait, have you thought of getting your eyebrows microbladed? I’d never even heard of it (my “beauty” routine is very minimalist, with a 1 year old at home and working full time 🙈) but was advised to look into it. I just had time to squeeze it in, as it is typically advised that you have it done 2 weeks or more before starting chemo due to the small infection risk. So pleased I had it done! You can’t even tell at the moment, but if/when eyebrows go I’ll have something there. Didn’t have time to get the follow-up treatment in, so it will be a bit patchy, but can use eyebrow pencil to fill in the gaps. Just an idea! Xox
Community Champion

Lou, have you got the sea sickness bands? I've heard that these help so I've got them ready in my "chemo" bag.  Anything's worth a try!

i think I prefer the name Humphrey as opposed to cancer.  It makes it more acceptable to me. I don't have a problem telling people I have BC but I struggle to say the word cancer itself or tumour or growth.  Weird, isn't it? 

Good night, and hope you have a good night's sleep.

Take care too 💜 Fiona xxx

Hi elliesmum i am doing fine so far i am on fec t aswell ,i was very anxious on the day but it wasnt as bad as i imagined everyone was real nice it took
about two hours,
Good luck for friday 😊
Lou 💕

Hi fiona i feel ok at the moment just taking all the drugs they gave me to combat sickness and stuff i am on fec t ,the clip is so small isnt it my mom was same she joked about setting alarms off in shops good job that wont happen, its funny you given it a name mines called carrie 😄
Nice to hear off you take care and stay 💪 too x
Community Champion

Hi ElliesMum

I'm pleased to hear you're progressing and I'd love to hear how you get on, as I'm on the same as you, FEC-T. I'm getting a bit jealous that I'm going to be 2 weeks behind you all 😜

Ive been spending loads on headwear too, although I've only done it online so far. I did get a nice combo cap scarf from Cancer Research online though.  I always used to get a scarf for Christmas pretty much every year and I always put them out for charity but I wish I'd kept some now 😉 At least there'll be a saving on electricity with no hairdryer or straighteners every day 😀

Good luck with braving the shave!  I'm not looking forward to that, but maybe it's a chance for my husband to get even with me.  I shave his hair each month and the first time I did it, I kept laughing so much the neckline wasn't very straight, to say the least. He might just return the favour 😕

Take care of yourself and good luck for the rest of the week.

💜 Fiona xx

Community Champion

Thanks Aneeebel! So pleased to hear that you’re doing so well after your first chemo. Woohoo! 👍💕

I hope you’re feeling ok, Lou, after starting chemo yesterday. I have my picc line insertion tomorrow and then chemo (FEC-T) on Friday. Felt great today having full recovered from my extra surgeries, even went in for a full day at work! Possibly in denial about the whole thing... I suppose it will all become more real in the next few days! 🙈🤞

For the ladies asking about wigs and headwear, I asked a similar question to the YBCN (young breast cancer network) ladies and received some super helpful replies. I’ve purchased a hat and a turban from Suburban Turban, for the days I don’t feel like going to any effort. After being encouraged by fabulous photos of beautiful scarves tied in interesting ways - and super helpful YouTube videos - I now own several new scarves from High Street stores (avoid silk and tassels) and am a bit excited to try them out. I also picked up a few beanies, as I figure the weather is getting cooler. Had issues booking an appointment to arrange a wig but this is now sorted for next week. Intend to brave the shave soon too. Don’t think I’ll be able to handle it all falling out! 😂

Love to all! Xox 💕😘💐🤞
Community Champion

Hi Lou, how are you? How was your first session and what are you on? I just want to get started on chemo so that I can get back to normal, even though I know it will be a different normal.  This waiting is so painful.  But Humphrey is now tagged and the nurse let me see it on the mammogram picture, the clip is so small compared to Humphrey.  My stepmum joked that I could now be tracked! 

Take care of yourself Lou, be 💪💪

💜 Fiona xx

Hi there fimillan I had my clip last week and mri Monday started chemo yesterday , like you I hate the post coming now it was bad enough when it was the bills now all it seems to be is hospital visits,
Lou 💕
Community Champion

I'm off to have my clip fitted to Humphrey this morning, and I've just received a letter from the hospital wanting me to book in for an MRI when I get my period, which should be today! Does anyone else dread getting their post now? 

Love to you all and have a good day 💜 Xxx

Community Champion

Hi Fiona

That's what I thought about the wig too, so we'll see if the next one is suitable!

I'm on TCH -which is Docetaxel, Carboplatin and Trastuzumab along with Pertuzumab -if I've read the info correctly!
I was in a bit of a tiz on Friday but it's perfectly understandable... We've no idea what to expect have we!

Thankyou Fiona... I hope all goes well for you too x 💗

💗💗💗💗💗💗

Community Champion

Hi Aneeebel

Yes, I've got a voucher too from the oncologist, I'm just having trouble getting hold of the wig lady, but as my treatment doesn't start until the end of the month I'm not too concerned at the moment.  I just feel I ought to have some sort of wig for those occasions I don't want to frighten anyone 😜 

What treatment are you on,  Aneeebel? I'll be on FEC-T.  I'm "interested" to hear how we're all going to get on, bizarre as that sounds. I'm pleased to hear you don't feel too bad after your first cycle, that gives me a little bit of encouragement.  It's the fear of the unknown, isn't it, that's the worst thing about our situation.

Good luck to you, Aneeebel, and I hope each cycle goes well.  💪 and keep us updated.

💜 Fiona xx

Community Champion

Hi ElliesMum, so glad you're doing well...

When I went for my pre-assessment the nurse said my treatment may be delayed from the Friday to the following Monday... I said No way was I waiting until the Monday...I needed to get going! As it happened they managed to 'fit me in' but it was probably due to the fact that had I not started they would be in breach of the guidelines for my start date!

Hope you don't feel too bad with yr treatment... I've been remarkably okay, bit nauseous and spaced out but on the whole, I've been surprisingly ok!

Take care xx

💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗
Community Champion

Hi Sar_ah and Fiona

I received a voucher for a wig from my Oncologist, each NHS Trust allows you to spend up to a certain amount which varies in different areas... I have had an appointment with the Wig lady but to be honest, I'm not sure a wig is going to be right for me... It nearly cut off the blood supply to my ears!!! 😂😂 I've got another on order but if it isn't right I think I might just stick to a couple of fancy bandanas!

The nurse told me that the cold cap usually works for about 70% of people but they may usually have hair loss or thinning or hair coming out in patches... So I decided not to bother with it...I suprised myself by deciding against it as I'd always said No way would I let my hair fall out!!
Like you said Fiona... I may not be so confident in a couple of weeks! Where's the tissues!!!

Good luck to all of us xx 💗💗💗💗💗
Community Champion

Hi Sarah, I've already started accumulating scarves and have some sleep caps on order too (Good old Amazon). I'm trying to get hold of the wig lady who comes to hospital once a week but she's proving difficult to pin down. I decided against the cold cap, I just thought it's a good opportunity for me to be more natural when my hair grows back. I've seen reports that the cold cap isn't always successful and hair can still thin even if it doesn't all disappear so I thought just accept that I'm going to lose it all, get some nice headwear and then wait for the new style to emerge 😉 Whether I'll feel the same when I see the first bit of hair to come out will be a completely different story but I have a box full of tissues at the ready 😂 When do you start your chemo? Good luck and take care 💜 Fiona xx

That’s good news about partners being able to have the flu jab I wasn’t aware of that Smiley Happy
Has anyone had a port fitted instead of of picc line? I had my pre-assessment yesterday and they were pushing for this instead of a picc line but I’m not going to lie it freaked me out a bit!!
Also I’ve been in complete denial about losing my hair! I’m trying the cold cap but I’m not sure how I’ll find it. Those that have wigs and scarves where did you start? I’m going to try some wig shops next week if I’m up to it but wanted to order some scarves or headwear soon really.
Community Champion

Blooming autocorrect, that should be BCN not CNN.
Community Champion

Thanks WhyteFawn. I asked the CNN but she didn't sound confident so I'll speak to the chemo helpline number and see what they day. Interesting thought about getting my husband to have it though, with the pressures of work he's currently experiencing and my stress on top, he's more liable to catch anything that's going round work and it knocks him for 6.
💜 Fiona xx

Hi ladies.
How are you all?
Fiona check with your oncologist. I was told not to get the flu jab if too close to starting chemo. Though remember your partner's can have it. If they tell their gp that they are living with someone going through chemo and therefore at risk they should get it for free. My husband did last year. You'll just have to put up with them moaning about how much their arm hurts for a few days after 🤣
WhyteFawn x

I was told not to get a flu jab during chemotherapy -- okay before or after. But as @ktk says, check with your BCN or chemo helpline to see if the time between flu jab and start of chemo is long enough.

ktk

They do advise you have a flu jab. Just check the dates. I think your timescale is ok but your BCN or chemo helpline will give you a definitive answer. Probably best to get it done now if you can. Kx
Community Champion

Morning Ladies

A quick question - my GP's surgery is offering a flu jab drop in clinic this Saturday - should I take this offer up?  My chemo doesn't start until 26th October.  It's not something I'd ever thought of before but the surgery have included me in their round robin announcement!

Any advice will be gladly received.

Fiona xx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Fi 😘😘pair of Oct 17 gold hot pants coming your way, Hoike em up, clip onto that bunting chord and keep hold of each other on this journey, you are all amazing and 💪💪💪and beautiful. We are all here 👭👭👭 and will help all we can. Remember on chemo to keep yourself safe and phone that rapid response number as many times as you want, your units want to keep you safe too. Look out for pee burning but no temp, that’ll be a uti and will need hospital visit. Painting nails with black polish has saved a lot of nails as has rubbing vitamin e oil into the base of the nail, get baby bum wipes they will sooth botties and also anosol cream, sudacream and laxatives for when fec bungs you up. Ice lollies to suck while they inject the red on on fec will preserve mouth. Get to dentists before you start too, they will fit you in when you tell them you are starting chemo, oral hygiene is essential. If you do end up with thrush mouth get fluconzole don’t let them fob you off with drops. Also go in with a list of meds you want each cycle after the first one. I. E. Fluconzole, difflam mouth wash to ensure you are armed and ready ❤️❤️A lot of us kept diary in a graph chart for each cycle I.e. week1, week2, week3 each cycle and found it helped as we could refer back. Right then 💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻Tune on the chemo jukebox symphony by Zara Larson keep 💪💪💪💪keep 😁😁😁😁and when the 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪Chemo gets you all 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪be 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪together 💕💕💕💕✨✨✨✨Shi xx
Community Champion

Thanks K, yes that does help and is definitely worth thinking about. I'll speak to the oncologist on 25th 😉

💜 Fiona xx