1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

October 2021 Chemo Starters

Jani62

Re: October 2021 Chemo Starters

@joeyhazza @louby_lou69  Your hair is looking great. I loved seeing the hair photos too. @Asharia  yours looks so thick and healthy. Well worth using the cold cap.

Mine feels like velvet but is so white it looks like there’s nothing there still. But it is less patchy and is coming back. I am not sure if I will grown it long again but we will see.

I managed to hang on to sparse eyebrows but they are so long and grey and stick up!

I had my surgery 4 weeks ago but have developed cellulitis and am back on oral antibiotics. (4th course since starting my treatment). 4 weeks to get it sorted!

I am still hoping I can talk to the radiation oncologist before I fly to England just so I can hit the ground running when I get back. 

I’m not sure which hormone blocker I will be on but believe it will be an AI not tamoxifen. I will be having this alongside the Kadcyla so hope any side effects are manageable.

I am going back to work next week for my contracted three days/week until I go on leave. My role is mostly working from home so I am lucky there is no commuting and little mingling. Still have sick leave banked and won’t hesitate to use it. New me!

3DC8A56D-C4F0-4EA6-B0A0-BEC8BEE4A9C9.jpeg

nicola2610

Hi All,

My surgery went ahead on Thursday 31 March. Only home today as my glucose levels went high then very low following surgery so they kept me in until it levelled out.  That’s the good news!  

The not so great news is that I tested covid positive today.  Got a hacking cough but so far that’s not hurting surgery wounds when I cough.

the metastic spread tumour on my back the surgeon said he could not actually see it.  He removed the area and took very wide margins in the hope that what is left and seen on the ultrasound was in there but won’t know until results back from the lab.

wounds nice and clear and a neat job.  Not much swelling at the moment and no pain whatsoever.  Back on 13 April for lab results.  

I love the hair pictures.  My hair is not growing as quickly but has had a little spurt this last week.  The right side is still further along than the left side.  I’ll try and organise a picture.

Nicola x

joeyhazza

Thanks @louby_lou69 

Its gone from white to gun metal grey 😂

Completely different to before but I’m just happy it’s on its way back. I’ve had to darken my eyebrow pencils three times to try and match but I’m still miss matched now! No idea what colour I need to sort of coordinate!

louby_lou69

@joeyhazza Your hair is looking fabulous- it really does all start happening doesn't it. Currently by lower eyelashes just stick straight out, it's quite funny. I hope they start to bend and curl soon.

Good luck for your op! 

Lou x

joeyhazza

@Asharia @Your hair looks amazing!!

Ive noticed some hair on my pillow again last couple of nights so I’m not sure what’s going on there four weeks post chemo?!

joeyhazza

61EA4AF8-6502-48C3-880C-7D931ACEAB17.jpeg

Hi everyone

loving the hair progress pictures! See mine attached.

I had pre op last week and surgery is planned for Wednesday afternoon this week for my lymph node clearance and nipple removal. I’m very nervous both about the surgery itself and possible lymphoedema afterwards. I’ll be four weeks post chemo on the same day.

I still only have my two cling on eyebrows that survived chemo from the start but it looks like something us happening with lashes.

@louby_lou69 Ill be going onto that at some point so I hope it’s kind to you!

x

louby_lou69

@Asharia  Glad your op went well. Your hair looks great - YAY to the cold cap!
No haircut yet, it's still quite thin on top at the front and I'll  be happier once I've got a bit of a fringe as I think that helps frame your face.

Started taking Anastrozole yesterday so I'm waiting for side effects to hit 

Asharia

Hi @louby_lou69 

That hair looks fab 💕!  Really coming through full now and looks like a proper style. have you had a cut yet or is that just how it’s grown? I’m really looking forward to booking a haircut now I don’t need to be quite so paranoid about covid, here’s mine at the moment, it’s difficult to see in photo but it’s  two tier with a short and long layer 🤣.  Definitely a cold cap success though unless I get a very late shedding. I’m glad your eyelashes are coming back, means I can look forward to some in another month or so.

My op went well so far, just waiting for discharge and then follow up next week.  I hope @nicola2610 s also went well.  Good luck with the return to work, just take it one day at a time and don’t do too much too quickly.  I’m thinking I’m not returning more than three days permanently, my feelings about work-life balance have changed a lot.  Trying to see if my income insurance will cover the difference, ironically I could be better off quitting entirely if they don’t!

Take care,

Ash xx

BD6A1D70-FE4A-421B-917A-A06F9CAFD829.jpeg

louby_lou69

Hi everyone, I hope your surgeries have gone well and you're soon home and recovering. Can't believe that's it's April already.

We had an amazing holiday in Egypt. We did very little and I've come home feeling so relaxed and more like myself. During the day I wore nothing on my head (apart from a straw hat in direct sunlight) so I felt very brave going for breakfast rocking my Annie Lennox look. I did wear my wig at night.

Yesterday I realised that my eyelashes have grown, they're still a bit stumpy and lacking curl yet but they took mascara and this makes me so happy. 

My sick note runs out on Sunday and im back to work on Monday just for three mornings then it's the Easter holidays for 2 weeks. After Easter I have 5 weeks of a phased return and im teaching lots of groups and different classes. Im trying to not to think too far ahead or I know I'll feel overwhelmed. Im looking forward to going back to work though.EC34D80A-BC2E-4BC3-87BE-54A67EA0133F.jpeg

Asharia

Hi all,

just popping in to see how everyone is, and also @nicola2610 to say good luck for your surgery today and I hope everything goes much more smoothly than last time.  I’m also having surgery today, been admitted but not going down until this afternoon so currently sitting in my room watching the snow. Last week I was sitting in the garden in a T-shirt!  

I’m four weeks post chemo today, and feeling so very much better. My taste has come back fully, and the breathlessness and tiredness has improved so much.  It’s amazing how quickly things start to improve, isn’t it?  I’ve currently got one eyebrow though, the left one has grown back much quicker than the right!  Hoping it’ll catch up soon, I can see the start of darker hair coming through. Still no eyelashes, I think I can see tiny buds but not really sure yet.  

Hope everyone else is well and enjoying your holidays and plans.  It’s nice to think things can start getting back to normal son, just the radio to go after this.

Ashxxx

nicola2610

@Jani62  Great news.  Enjoy your trip to see your mum.  

Jani62

@louby_lou69  The Red Sea sounds awesome. I hope you are having a wonderful time!

My surgery went ahead and the results were good: the tumour had shrunk considerably leaving 10mm of invasive tumour with good clear margins. They found micro-metastases in only one of three nodes removed and my oncologist says they consider that node negative. Very happy to believe that!

My cancer burden risk is class two so I will need more treatment to reduce the risk of recurrence. But my team have agreed that I can take a two month break and visit my mother before launching onto Part 2. (Kadcyla 3/52 for 14 cycles, radiotherapy and then aromatase inhibitors for 5-10 years). 

I have to continue with Herceptin three weekly so I am just coming for two weeks. So looking forward to seeing Mum. Spring in England… sounds good to me.

I hope you are all going well.

Jane 

nicola2610

@louby_lou69  Enjoy your holiday, some sunshine and the sun lounger, you sure deserve it.  X

louby_lou69

@nicola2610 Oh that's just rubbish! Such a disappointment when you build yourself up to something. I hope your surgery goes ahead on the 31st.

nicola2610

What a day!  

was on the surgery ward by 7am.  Blood pressure high.  Yes it’s been high since November/ December.  Surgeon happy to go ahead but anaesthetist said keep doing some blood pressure reading and I got moved from first on list to second on list.  Blood glucose finger prick test came back high.  Was given an insulin injection to bring it down quickly and ready for surgery.  Blood pressure still not coming down.

By 10am surgeon appeared and said they could not do surgery that day because of blood pressure.  Re-scheduled for 31 March. Now on blood pressure medication and on two weeks of insulin to keep it all in check!  

Home now and ready for bed quite honestly but keeping myself awake for a few more hours so can do insulin at 9pm!  

louby_lou69

@nicola2610  hope your surgery goes well today and that you are home recovering soon. The weather is set to improve over the next few days - Spring is definitely around the corner.

@Fifo great news about clear margins and lymph nodes - it's such a relief isn't it. I had my surgery last August - a lumpectomy and I have a slight change to the shape of my boob but it's really nothing. I hope your husband continues to cope well with his treatment.

We are off to Sharm el Sheikh on Sunday for 10 days. I don't think I'll actually believe it until I'm lying on a sunbed - we've had so many holidays cancelled or amended.

nicola2610

@Fifo  Amazing news for you and I’m pleased to read your husband is coping well with his chemo.  What a time of it you have had, all my best wishes for you both going forward.  I’m all set for surgery.  Bag is packed.  My nerves have steadied.  Had a good telephone call with my brother today and we had a good laugh, it was just what I needed, plus the reminder that once surgery is done we can finally meet up (he has worked throughout and as such not visited me during chemo because of risk of passing covid, cold etc to me). 

Looking back to October 2021 when we all came together on here as a bunch of strangers with one thing in common, I cannot say how grateful I have been at times just to pop on here and read others comments and leave my own.  I wish none of had found ourselves having to find this place but I’m glad it exits.  

Fifo

Finally some good news for me and my family.  I’m now cancer free!

I had a wide local incision and 4 lymph nodes removed last Wednesday, and my surgeon called this morning to say all margins and nodes are clear. In an odd way I feel dazed - a bit like how I felt during my diagnosis but so, sooo relieved.

@Asharia and @louby_lou69, thank you so much for your kind words about my husband. He had his fourth chemo last Monday and is holding up well. His regime consists of weekly injections rather than infusions and so far he hasn’t really had any side effects. In fact, his bone pain has eased tremendously which means the chemo is helping and we can all go out and celebrate with a nice meal.  

Tonight, I have a consolation with my oncologist to discuss the next steps in treatment – probably radiotherapy and PHESGO. Then on Friday, I’m off to see my surgeon and hopefully get my dressings removed. I have two over the incisions but from what I can see, the shape and volume of my boob has hardly changed. I’m completely surprised about this and delighted as my surgeon had initially said she’d take 30% away.

@joeyhazza, I must say your before hair pic is stunning and it looks like you’ve already got a good covering. With regards to brows, mine didn’t stand up to the docetaxel either, but 7 weeks on from my last chemo little fuzzy hairs are now sprouting. I know you’ve just finished chemo, but maybe this will give you some idea on when to expect regrowth.

@Shi thanks for sharing the tip on mini mascara wands. Such a fab idea and I’ll defo get myself down to Boots when my lashes are a bit longer. I’ve been using a magnified mirror to check their progress and its so good to see tiny blonde buds growing.

@nicola2610, wishing you all the best with surgery tomorrow and a swift recovery. I’ll be thinking of you and keeping everything crossed for a good result.

Sending love n hugs,

Fi

joeyhazza

@nicola2610 

I can’t really offer anything useful to say about the pre op findings. I hope that whatever is going on is entirely manageable for you.

Wishing you the best of luck and a speedy recovery from your surgery. Mine is on 6th so I have a couple of weeks until pre op.

I too have been pottering in the garden (mainly trying to keep my spaniel off my new plants) and am very much enjoying the spring air and sunshine when it’s here.

x

joeyhazza

That’s lucky having a PT to get advice from! 

I’ve ordered the book now too to have a read through and start making a plan. Exercising was always bottom of my priority list previously and I was naturally slim which in turn made people assume I was fit…I wasn’t.

My children are now a little older at 12 and 15, so hopefully I can give some time to it around their football, gymnastics etc. 

Im eating better in the last few years than I ever have and more so now so I just need to pull in exercise around work and home. Wouldn’t it be amazing if we could prioritise the other things around work with flexibility. I know some roles you can but most are static hours.

Have a good day everyone

nicola2610

I hope everyone is doing ok.  

I am due surgery on Thursday this week.  As part of my pre op assessment they did a diabetes blood test.  Got a call from the diabetic nurse today to say it’s high and they appreciate over last few months I’ve been on steroids etc that might have affected these results, and have I been drinking more fluids, been peeing more often, have I put on weight!  Er yep was drinking lots when on chemo, it dehydrates you and you are told to drink 3 litres daily in any event.  Drinking lots leads to peeing lots as does the dehydrating effect of the chemo drugs.  As for have I put on weight, I struggled to put on weight!  I weigh less now than I did when I started chemo and my BMI is not overweight!  

I do however have PCOS which can affect how your body deals with insulin!  The presumptions really annoy me!  

Anyway rant over.  They are going to put an insulin drip up during surgery which means I’ll be staying overnight at casa NHS.  I rang my GP surgery as requested.  Diabetic nurse only works on a Tuesday!  Booked a telephone appointment for next Tuesday to get a review and discuss medication.  

Today, it just felt like the world was against me.  I know it’s not but I’ve held it together during cancer treatment and nervous about surgery on Thursday and now this!  Anyway rant over and I’ll get back to some pottering around in the garden. 

louby_lou69

@joeyhazza  I bought a book called Get Your Oomph Back by Carolyn Garritt whose had breast cancer and is also a PT and that gave me the confidence to realise getting back into exercising isn't to be feared.

My partner is also a trained PT, although no longer working in that role, so he was able to guide me. Initially I did a brisk 15 minute walk on the treadmill with a slight incline, 15 minutes on the cross  trainer and he suggested 10 minutes on the rower - well what a laugh that was. I managed 3 minutes on the rower and was a wreck when I walked out of the gym - but it felt so good to work different muscles. I can now mange 20 minutes on the cross trainer and 10 minutes on the rower and I also do 15 minutes on the bike. We've got some light weights at home and Carolyn Garritt has some YouTube videos that I now follow.

Once I feel slightly fitter I shall join some classes, spin and maybe a HIIT class but I don't feel I could keep up with a class yet.

Hoping you feel better with your chemo side effects! It's such a great feeling knowing chemo is done.

joeyhazza

@louby_lou69 @I’m too far behind you I’m afraid to know about this but I am impressed by your physical activity levels.
Can I ask whether you took advice from your gym for what is good for recovery? I’m thinking about what to do once I am fit for exercise but really don’t know where to start. I’ve read that a mixture of aerobic and resistance is the most beneficial for us but I don’t want to damage my surgery areas or cause lymphoedema. So much to consider.

I have no eyebrows at all. They didn’t make it through docytaxel and my eyelashes are not really doing much. I’ve started using serum to perhaps give them a bit of a wake up.

Im still feeling the effects of the last chemo from Wednesday. I am looking forward to coming out of that. No doubt I will be in touch in a few weeks asking how you’re doing as I’ll be following your journey just a few months behind.

I get the feeling that getting over treatment will take longer than we think 🤔 

louby_lou69

So, I finished chemo nearly 5 weeks ago and radiotherapy was completed 6 days ago. Every time I get up off the sofa, get out of bed, walk up and down the stairs my joints are so stiff. I'm going to the gym 3 times a week and walking on the other days and trying to keep active. It seems worse over the past few days though.

Is anyone else feeling the same? Is it still the after effects of the chemo & RT? Im due to start taking Anastrozole now RT is done and that makes your joints stiff too. 

I've also lost all my eyelashes now and my eyebrows are even thinner than ever. 

nicola2610

@joeyhazza  I hope your chemo today went smoothly and well done.  
 Your hair is growing really quickly.  I’ve got some hair growth which is better on the right side than the left but I’m embracing the growth spurts.  

joeyhazza

706B4391-87A7-47E4-A790-C17DB3F58474.jpeg

After

618F21C8-4AD3-46B7-BF68-773A675A3D67.jpeg

Before.

very different colours!!!! 

joeyhazza

Hi everyone

i haven’t been on for a while

@Asharia  We have travel insurance through our bank account and they have outright refused to cover me (even though I’ve been with them years). They’ve asked me to call back once I’ve had my next surgery then they will give me a quote. I’m not hopeful.

My last chemo was supposed to be yesterday but someone had inputted my weight wrong so I couldn’t have it. I actually cried as I was so hyped up for it.

Anyway, I’m back in today for it. My surgery date is set for 6th April, 6 week recovery then three weeks radiotherapy. I think I’m going onto anastrazole rather than herceptin as I’m having four weekly zoladex injections. I’ll keep having the zoladronic acid infusions 6 monthly post treatment (I think 6 or maybe 3 🤔) so I’ll still be receiving some form of treatment and I like that I’ll still be going into the unit in case I have any worries over the time.

My hair is growing quite quickly. It has been since I started docytaxel. It’s not long but quite thick except for the very front. No eyebrows whatsoever and all the eyebrow pencils I got are now too brown in comparison to the gunmetal grey coming out my head. It’s so weird!!

34CD443F-6A6F-4356-B3B1-5081EA40893B.jpeg

Ill be so glad to get todays milestone out the way and ride the side effect wave one last time (I hope) read to focus on the next stage to recover. I wish I didn’t have more surgery but there you go…just another block of recovery time. The joys of potential lymphoedema and reconstruction failure to keep an eye on then!

Let me know how you get on with insurance. It feels such a shame it’s either difficult or very expensive. We want to pop to Spain to my other halves dads place so it’s not like the Caribbean in the middle of nowhere.

Also want to know when I can start looking at critical illness and life insurance cover. I have the latter but moved house before diagnosis and didn’t uplift the cover amount for the mortgage so I’m panicking if the worst happens because coverage isn’t there enough and they won’t let me increase it because of the cancer.x

Asharia

That’s a decent price for the insurance, it’s good to know there are options.  I think I’ll wait until after surgery and radiotherapy is done, then call my current insurance and see what they say.  That’s if I can get through, it’s a work benefit so good value but slightly opaque! If they say no, I look at staysure. 

louby_lou69

@Fifo So sorry to hear about your husband, I'm sure you will be a great comfort and support to each other. 

@Asharia I've managed to get annual travel insurance for me and my partner for £220, my partner had kidney cancer in 2020 too. When I applied it asked me whether the cancer had spread to the lymph nodes (no) had I refused chemo (no) and did I have additional treatment, Herceptin (yes) I was surprised it was only £220 as I also have high blood pressure and asthma. It was £120 pre Covid for worldwide insurance. I've taken it out with Staysure. 

Asharia

Oh Fi, I’m so sorry to hear about your husband.  I can’t imagine how hard it must be for you and your family to be dealing with both of you having a cancer diagnosis at the same time. Really good luck for the surgery tomorrow, it sounds like your chemo response was great so I hope this part of your treatment goes well.

I think a number of us are planning a small holiday after surgery or chemo.  I’m planning a week in the mountains in May, hopefully after I’m recovered from my surgery at the end of this month.  I’ll still have radio to do afterwards, but I just need a break first.  Hope you have a fab time in Palma.  I’m interested in what you’re doing for insurance?  I’m hoping for a bigger holiday in September, and a bit worried about whether my annual policy will cover me or not.  I think the clause on pre-existing conditions is no reason to expect a problem, which seems awfully vague and I’m planning on North America so medical costs would be catastrophic if something happened and not covered. 

@confused22 , I’m with you on the menopause symptoms.  I was pre-menopausal, but the paclitaxel has definitely put me into menopause for now, very regular hot flushes etc etc. Mood is a bit up and down, but no idea if that’s hormonal or just the impact of trying to cope with treatment, work, and other stresses.   I’ll have to wait and see if things change over the next few weeks, and then speak to my oncologist about appropriate hormone treatment.  To be honest, I’m tempted to ask for treatment to keep my ovaries suppressed as that does seem to be more effective, but I do need to do something about the night time hot flushes to sleep better.

confused22

Hi everyone 

Hope all is going well for everyone.

just wanted to add my own thoughts on the situation with hair regrowth

mine is also very salt and pepper ish and a lot darker than I presumed it would be.

In all fairness my hair has been coloured for decades so it will be interesting to see what this new hair looks like.

im also very patchy, like a baby and quite thin on top which is a worry.

the sides seem to be coming in in all directions so I think maybe I will have chemo curls 

unexpected side effects of hair re growth is facial hair, one min I was lovely and totally bare faced and the next there are random long hairs sprouting all over and poking out sideways 😂

had to get my old face defuzzer out 

how is everyone’s mood?

I’m feeling a bit lost, quite hormonal etc

i started off as peri menopausal but since chemo my status is looking more like post menopause so it would seem that I’ve also gone through that as well -

I am under no illusions I’m not fully through just because a blood test suggests it - the hot flushes have been super crazy where I’ve felt faint and dizzy.

this could be temporary 

so yeah just another thing to add to the list of the unknown side effects of chemo .

I’m due to start tamoxifen in a couple of weeks but I am totally confused - need to research and ask my BCN 

it’s like we’re at a crossroads now isn’t it ?

the end is near but still seems out of my grasp until radiotherapy is finished xx 

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

FIfo ❤️ Get some little mascara wands from one of the beauty counters in boots that they use for testing mascara on people, they will help train your lashes to curl again ❤️ This was too the amazing beautiful ladies on Ysl and Estée Lauder counters helped me with after chemo so wanted to pass tip onto you ❤️💕💕Shi xx

Fifo

Hi everyone,

It’s been quite a while since I’ve been on here, but so lovely to read that many of you have now finished chemo and moved on to the next steps of treatment. I’m often told that chemo is the hardest part, so BIG hugs for getting through it. You’re all wonderful!

I also finished chemo last month (27 Feb) but was hospitalised a week later with a high infection marker. My husband had just been diagnosed with multiple myeloma and I think the shock wiped me out.

Never in our wildest nightmares could we ever have imagined that cancer would happen to us both and at the same time - it seems so unfair. He’s coping well with treatment though and I guess couldn’t ask for a better support buddy than me.

On a more positive note, my last MRI showed that I’ve had a complete radiological response and my lumpectomy takes place this Wednesday. I had 3 mag seeds inserted last week (2 in the breast and 1 in the lymph nodes) and will have radioactive dye injected tomorrow. I'm feeling pretty anxious about the whole procedure and cant wait for it to be over. 

Once healed from surgery, hubby, daughter and I plan to go to Palma for a few days and stay in wee hotel in the mountains that we’ve been to before. My daughter is also turning 21 next month and having a fabulous birthday party…so lots to look forward to.

It’s encouraging to read that many of you are currently experiencing hair re-growth. I’ve got a little salt and pepper fluff sprouting on top, but nothing as yet on the eyebrow front. I can however feel the tiniest of tiny eyelashes starting to poke through. So tiny in fact that I can't actually see them, but have nonetheless been tempted to reach for the mascara wand just to check they’re actually there 😅

Fi

xx

Asharia

Yes, all done 🏁.  It does feel good to have got to the finish line of this part, one step nearer! Just one more pegfilgrasim tomorrow to give a final pre-surgery boost to the bloods and then I should be done with all the chemo meds.

Good luck with the radio next week @Pjsrlife , I still have that to come after surgery so I’ll be interested to hear how you get on.  Heard mixed reports, but I guess that’s the same with the chemo, we all respond differently.

@louby_lou69, I’ve been finding a wide fabric hairband very helpful as my hair has thinned on top, pushed back so the the front of the hair shows but it covers the top and obscures the sides a lot. Its also useful to keep it under control as the pixie has grown out.  Not something I’ve worn since high school before now but it works 😆. I think it would work really well for patchy regrowth if you have a cm or so in most places.  It’s quite a feminine look, which it sounds like fits your gender expression, and as the weather (hopefully) starts to get warmer or on your sunshine holiday it is way less obvious than a hat and cooler than a wig.  

I’m with you on missing the mascara @nicola2610 .  I’ve worn eyeliner and mascara almost every day since my teens, so I still don’t feel like myself without it.  Hoping that by my holiday and birthday in May I’ll be able to sensibly wear it.

Right, off to indulge the steroid munchies one last time.

Ash xx

nicola2610

@Pjsrlife  Good luck with the radiotherapy.  Last time I found it so much easier than chemo.

Hair regrow the - I am patchy my patchy.  Down the right side of my head and round the back it is have a real growth spurt but the top and the left side are being a bit lazy and not quite up to the same speed although there is some hair there.  If I look in the mirror in daylight I can see the hair on the more sparse areas.

My eyebrows held on to a hair or two, literally 😆 but they have started to grow a few more hairs.  My eyelashes went completely and in the last few days I’ve got a few starting to grow through on the lower lashes, nothing as of yet on the top lashes.  I cannot wait to put a bit of mascara on which sounds really shallow but I’ve missed it. 

louby_lou69

@Asharia  Yay! You did it!

My hair is coming back slowly. Eyelashes are still a bit stumpy and eyebrows are very patchy so need a help with the eyebrow pencil. 

Im still not confident to go without a hat or wig yet, I think because my hair is coming back a mixture of grey and dark brown it doesn't look as thick. I'm still looking like a 'cancer patient'.

My worry is because I'm quite tall, I'm going to look like a butch lesbian, (Apologies to any lesbians on here) or a bloke 😂 that's where the make up will come into its own. 

Lou x

Asharia

Well, I’m sitting here on the unit with the premeds done and my cold cap on, waiting for the last paclitaxel. So I seem to be doing it 😏.  Just looking forward to this time next week when I can get up on Friday and not come in here but look forward to starting to feel well again.  Might even crack open a bottle of prosecco and see if it tastes good yet!  (I’m testing on the cheap stuff before moving to the proper champers 🤣).

@nicola2610 I’m really sorry you’re having such a tough time still with the neuropathy.  You’re being so strong focusing on the positives.  Is there nothing they can give you to help the pain at night, it’s horrible lying in bed awake and hurting.

@Pjsrlife , my body hair has actually started to grow back slightly in places on the paclitaxel and head still hanging on I there.  No improvement in eyebrows or eyelashes yet though, so guess they are still taking a battering.  Will be really nice when those start coming back so it’s  good to hear yours are starting to show signs.

Ash xx

Pjsrlife

Its great to hear everyone is getting on with the next stage of their treatment. I start radiotherapy on Wednesday;15 fractions. Im keen to just get going now!

Hair regrowth - hows everyone's coming along? My back and sides are coming in well, but the top of my head is still quite bald. I never anticipated it to be so patchy 🙈 I think Im starting to see some regrowth with my eyelashes too 🙌

PJ 💕

nicola2610

@Asharia  My neuropathy in hands and feet has not improved at all.  I’m being optimistic and still going through all the reading material for my course, but have until end of July to see whether or not I can hold implements properly.  Holding a pen and writing still isn’t working well.  

@Jani62  I know what you mean about the night time.  My big toes get so painful in bed of a nighttime.  Last night I ended up crying a little partly because I was so fed up with it but partly because it just is so painful!  I also having aching in both wrists and down the side of each hand.  

on the positives I am really enjoying getting out of the house and my breathlessness has completely gone, so going to focus on the good stuff.  We’ve decided at home that if the hand and finger neuropathy is permanent and it means I cannot continue with my studies, I do have options with what work I do.  I am alive.  Whilst I would be disappointed, there are worse things to happen.  

nicola2610

@confused22  well done for completing chemo.  You certainly had a tough time of it.

live had radiotherapy before and found it tired me out more than I thought it would so your June return to work seems a good plan.  Can you go back on a staggered return if hours?  

good luck with the radiotherapy.  I found it so much easier than chemo.

nicola x

confused22

Hi everyone

Sorry I’ve not been on the forum for a while - glad to read everyone is cracking on and having progress.

I’m a week past my final chemo and I feel ok- it’s a bit strange, the final chemo was done and now it’s like okay now what.

by body is much more tired than I expected actually - went into town for the first time since Xmas yesterday and it nearly wiped me out, I’m going to potter around today and enjoy the peace 

im behind schedule because of catching sepsis which delayed me fir three weeks 😞 

I have a break of 4 weeks now before I start radiotherapy 

I have 20 rounds of it to do- three weeks plus an extra booster, really not sure quite how I feel about it as it just seems a lot, plus in between that there’s 2 bank holidays.

I’m looking at returning to work in June probably because I’ll want to rest up after, does this sound about right? 

xx 

Jani62

It has been a bit quiet on here… another translation time for many of us. 

@Asharia I felt apprehensive for my last three doses of paclitaxel but now it feels really strange not going  for blood tests and to the unit every week! 

I have a date for my surgery… next Wednesday the 9th March. My last paclitaxel was on 17/2 and I have felt better almost daily since then. I am still having the subcut Herceptin every three weeks but really don’t seem to get any side effects. My nails are clearing at last. I really didn’t want them to jeopardise my surgery.

I still have numbness in my big toes and more recently my thumbs. (I was probably blaming the reduced sensation on my nails before.)

At night it can feel like I have a pair of ankle socks on… most peculiar. While it is bilateral it is strange that it’s not my other toes and fingers and I am really hoping it is transient!

I have been doing a bit of remote work where I can. We have been hammered by crazy weather all the way down the East Coast but especially Brisbane/Sunshine coast where the rest of my team live. It feels good to reconnect. I can’t believe I have been away for 4 months already.

The  humidity was so high today that the real feel temp was above 38! I cannot get motivated to walk in that… even hanging out laundry feels like you are cooking in an oven. But it does dry very quickly! 
stay well everyone 

Jane 

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Ash 👭👭 we’ve all got you, little steps you’ve got this 💪💪 remember choices are always yours but throwing the kitchen sink at it is also your choice 💪💪 look how amazing you’ve done 💪💪 sending 💕💕Shi xx

Asharia

Thank you for understanding @nicola2610 and @louby_lou69 .  It’s good to know you’re both feeling better so quickly, and I do know I’ll feel better about things long term if I grit my teeth and finish the course.  

I’ve been pretty lucky with the neuropathy to be honest.  Just last week I started to have mild tinging in my feet, but no pain or loss of function. The oncologist was happy that it’s mild enough to do the final two doses and it hasn’t really got worse this week. Like you though I’m worried about it getting worse or becoming permanent. Is yours still bad enough that it’s impacting on the podiatry?

That’s fantastic news about the tumour reaction though, it shows that the chemo was really targeting well.  I hope the surgery all goes well on the 16th.

Ash xx

nicola2610

I had some great news on Monday.  I went in to clinic to have this seed implant put in to tumour on my back ahead of surgery.  They could find the tumour.  Got another consultant in to the room to have a look. She eventually found it and the clip marker.  She said the tumour has significantly reduced and that’s why they were having problems locating it.  I was so pleased chemo had done this to it.  Made all the feel rubbish with chemo worth it.  

I have a cardiology appointment on Monday partly so I’m ready to start herceptin again after surgery but also to just check heart function out after chemo because of all the problems I’ve had.  Quite reassuring I’m having the appointment before surgery.

I still have neuropathy in all my fingers and most of my toes.  Is anyone else suffering with this?  I’m really worried it’s going to be permanent particularly in my fingers.

nicola2610

@Asharia  Oh I remember feeling like that.  I’m four weeks out of chemo and honestly I feel so much better.  Breathlessness has gone completely and I’m managing 2 walks a day so far this week.  You will get there.  You’ve done so well.  You will have a good few weeks before your surgery.  Mine is on 17th March and I feel ready for it and honestly a week ago I didn’t think I’d ever feel like it.  We are all behind you.  X

louby_lou69

@Asharia Come on you can do that last one. Then you can put it behind you. I'm 3 weeks post chemo and feeling better & better everyday. Time goes by so quickly, you'll soon be on the other side. X

Asharia

Hi @louby_lou69 ,

Good to get the first radiotherapy out of the way, and glad it went ok.  Holiday sounds fab and just what you need, I’m really jealous!  

I’m still plodding along, I have my final chemo session this Friday.  To be honest I really really don’t want to go in.  I know that sounds stupid now I’ve got this far, but I’m just so very tired of it all now and I’ve had enough.  I just don’t want to feel ill and in pain yet again, I want to be able to taste food again and to be able to go out without worrying and to start to build up fitness again.  Still, I suspect I will turn up, my husband will probably push me to.  Just hope I can get a couple of decent weeks in before surgery.

Hows everyone else doing with the surgery plans?

Ash xx

louby_lou69

Very quiet on here. 

I've been for my first radiotherapy today.I'm having 5 in total.  My appointment was at 12.40 and by 1pm I was walking back to my car. It was something like a sci-fi movie and after chemo, was really nothing to worry about.

I have come home and have a bit of back ache but I did do some weight work this morning so not sure if it's that, or maybe I held myself quite rigid on the radiotherapy bed 🤷‍♀️ Who knows?

We have also booked a sunshine holiday, my oncologist okayed it and although I feel very guilty that I'm still off sick I desperately need a total change of scene and to lie on a sunbed and relax with no distractions and no hospital appointments, tests & scans. I've loaded some books on my kindle and my phone will be switched off.

Ive also begun negotiating my return to work. Occupational health are ringing me next week and will help me sort some sort of phased return to school for the week beginning 4th April. I'm thinking maybe 2 mornings for the first week and will build up slowly so that I'm full time by week 4/5.

Hope everyone is doing ok and moving on with their treatment 

Lou x

louby_lou69

@Jani62 

Congratulations what wonderful news, a first grandchild will bring you so much joy!