Oncotype DX test available on NHS?

Hello - my mum had surgery recently for breast cancer. 

They removed some lymph nodes as I understand it. I thought she was going to have radiation but now the doctor recommends chemotherapy. He says that there is a test (Oncotype DX test) to find out if she needs it but says it will cost 3,000 pounds. 

Has anyone had this test and if so, is it not covered by the NHS? That’s quite a large expense.

Thanks so much for your help - greatly appreciated!

Hi Canadiain

Sorry to hear about your mum. I hope she is recovering from her surgery. The test is available on the NHS as well as through private health care. Perhaps this is what the doctor is referring to. I had my test through the NHS and the results were that I did not require chemotherapy but my nodes were clear. The link will provide further information.

breastcancercare.org.uk/oncotype-dx

Best wishes to your mum x

Hi,

First of all, Google it now! An important research project has just confirmed its importance and that NHS will accept it. It will save a lot of money for the NHS in chemo , they said thousands of women will not need it now.

I had the Oncotype DX done 3 years ago. Here in France nobody had heard of it but I pushed on and had it done, managed to get under the wire for paying for it too. (pr I imagine. )

Though I was diagnosed as having a grade 3 tumor, be it very early and small and no nodes involved they said I should have chemo. The oncologist here had not heard of it (!) and was difficult about it, but my surgeon went along with it. The test came out very favourably and not at all to benefit from chemo. So I was off the hook.

3 years later and clear.