62197members
327452posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

September 2016 starters

Re: September 2016 starters

Thanks Aine for the tips - always good to read and find out about other products.

Is this the one you are talking about? This is for eye lashes, do you have a product that does eyebrows as well as lashes would one product do both?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LIPOCILS-LENGTHENS-THICKENS-EYELASH-CONDITIONING/dp/B01K4MY62G/ref=sr_1_8_a...

Also ssen this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NLEI9CS/ref=pd_day0_194_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XX4YHWY3GWDAPX...

Also I got AVEENO products on prescription - Did you just request this, I have just bought mine from Boots, if I can get it free even better, I am on free prescriptions as now 62 as of yesterday!

I had a Port Cath fitted last Mondayhttp://www.macmillan.org.uk/information-and-support/treating/chemotherapy/being-treated-with-chemotherapy/i..., not sure if everywhere offers it but as I have prviate health care that was the only option given to me and it is better than a picc line as you have nothing hanging outside of your arm, and can have bath & shower with no fear of getting it wet.  

Like you I am trying to remain - PMA - Positve Mental Attitude Woman Very Happy and counting them off, my last one is 28th December!! so won't be doing much around Christmas time.Woman Sad

Hope all goes well and keep posting Woman Very Happy

Community Champion

I am from the August thread and you do not often get bloods that are too low on your first round. I have had 3 and the last one was low but not too low. I am on iron tablets now because of it.

Are you getting the G-csf injections?

The Emend you will get for 3 days - the day before, the day of and the day after usually. It is extremely expensive and they only give it when they have tried everything else and it has not worked.

Hello ladies. This is my first message on this thread and indeed on any thread ever!

I had my first FEC on 19th Sept so am on a similar path to some of you.  I have been following your messages with enormous interest and they have given me lots of support and very useful info on lots of important issues I am facing now.

I was very sick for 14 days - very bad nausea, shaking, out of breath, etc. It was like being in love again!!!

I had to sit outside all day to keep the nausea under control.  It lifted and I can't believe I am back to 'normal'.  I took dexamethasone and ondansetron for the first 3 days.  Day after chemo i felt great and went shopping!  But it hit me that evening.  I then took Cyclizine which made me a complete moron for days.  So I stubbornly refused to take anything else and suffered on.

I am told Emend is the best so when I start cycle 2 on Monday Im going to cry until I get that!

My hair is falling out in wafts behind me when I move - a tip from a friend was excellent - order SILK pillowcases - they stop your hair catching on the pillow - it really does help.

I got the ones with silk on one side only so they don't slide off the bed.

A pharmacist pal who did FEC chemo recently also gave me a tip for eyelash and eyebrow loss. 

She used EYEBROW LIPOCILS EXPERT from TALIKA.COM and hers did not fall out. Costs £26 but well worth it.  Apply twice per day.  Im using it and so far so good on day 20.  I got it from a pharmacy.

Also I got AVEENO products on prescription.

I sent for Hats4Heads hairband with hairpiece for the back of your head - far far too little hair on it - I couldn't wear it.

I've sent for the Headcovers under hat wig and am expecting to get it in a week or two.  Thanks for the comments on other alternatives - I will send for them too.

I got CUTAN hand sanitisers and have them round the house.  I got fluoride toothpaste and a soft toothbrush and corsodyl mouthwash.

Does anyone else have a PICC line in?  I got it the first day - apparently most people end up getting it after messing up all their veins anyway.  Its a bit of a nuisance to look after but worth it.

I am really dreading being told on Monday that my bloods are not back to normal and I can't have cycle 2.  Any tips?  I am resting and trying to eat small regular meals.  I have lost a lot of weight and don't want to lose any more.  I am drinking lots of water.  I'm planning Xmas and if I am delayed a week I won't be able to enjoy my dinner!

I'm not letting this get me down and am keeping positive - it will all be over in 3 months.

I just bought a big bag of narcissus bulbs and a going out to plant them everywhere.  By the time I see them again the chemo will be over.....

Aine x

I ordered the Gisela Mayer "hot stuff" and the "Colada" hairpiece and ended up keeping the Colada one as for me it was more comfortable. The hair colours though were far better on the Mayer version.

Just bought the Paris Hilton "Bandit" from another website that was selling them for £29.00. Ebay has some colours for £19.00 at the moment. 

I'm yet to try the Bandit on.

Been wearing the Colada hairpiece a lot and it's been fine under hats.

Hi ladies, haircut scheduled for Weds  to take off what is left of it have a clean sweepSmiley LOL

Wore my wig out last night for the first time  really did not feel comfortable in it probaly because its not my own hair anymoreWoman Sad  Felt like a dead cat on my headWoman Very Happy

Might have to invest in another one just so I can have a change.

To be honest I much prefer weaing my caps and scraves, seem to have mastered the nack of doing them, and I know it points out the obvious to people - but i really don't careWoman Very Happy

Happy Days!!

Community Champion

They are much more comfortable than a wig. The caps only come in black or beige but the hair comes in different colours and a couple of lengths.

I love the caps with hair! I have received some little sleep caps from Bohemian Headwear, I think they must be the same as those that Dawn has because they are a bit Puritan looking! I got the ones with a pattern on the front and I do like them. I also ordered a couple of hats from Cosihats. I think that's the name of the website? They are coming from France so haven't arrived yet.

My hair has been coming out in dramatic clumps this week; my poor cat was rather alarmed by this apparent monster being thrown into the bin the other morning!! I'm getting it cut today, I'm not sure I'm brave enough for the shave but I'll see what my hairdressers says when she sees the state of my head.

I hope you are all feeling well today. Have a good Friday xxx

Hi Blueash
Liking the caps x
Vx
Community Champion

I have a black one and a beige one and got them from:

http://www.wigs4u.co.uk/

Community Champion

I really like baseball caps with hair:

Image result for baseball cap with hair

hair band with hair attached.jpg

soft hairband and sholder length wig attached.

sorry about the red face.

Hi OldDawn63
I have some fringes from Heathers Hair which are free to ladies going through chemotherapy. Just pay postage. And good for a bit more coverage under scarves or hat.
But this piece can be worn without a head covering as it is .
If you click on the one I ordered and then click on the tab above-' what's inside,' it shows you how the inside is constructed. It is different than the fringes. There is also a 360 view which is helpfull.
It is more expensive than the fringes but another alternative to scarves without being a full wig.

I will try and work out how to attach a pic of me wearing it in my profile library . Beware the glowing red face at the moment. As just had chemo on Monday. 👺
Vx

Thank Vintage, this looks like a good alternative to the full wig, although it is quite expensive compared to the Hair for Hats (hat fringes) from Bohemia Headwear which cost only £10.00 + £1.80 for headband. I was pleased with mine when I got it (having been tipped off by Auntinanna), although I have had to customise it a bit by removing the metal clips which are useless/ potentially harmful to my scalp, and sewing it onto the headband. Now I've done this it looks quite convincing worn under a hat, and I think these fringes are really good value for anyone on a tight budget. Are the Gisela Meyer headband hairpieces OK to wear under a hat?

Thanks Vintage, this looks like a good alternative to the full wig, although it is quite expensive compared to the Hair for Hats (hat fringes) from Bohemia Headwear which cost only £10.00 + £1.80 for headband. I was pleased with mine when I got it (having been tipped off by Auntinanna), although I have had to customise it a bit by removing the metal clips which are useless/ potentially harmful to my scalp, and sewing it onto the headband. Now I've done this it looks quite convincing worn under a hat, and I think these fringes are really good value for anyone on a tight budget. Are the Gisela Meyer headband hairpieces OK to wear under a hat?

Hi All
Just wanted to share with you my new comfie wear around the house and bed wig. The hair is attached to a fabric hair band, I got it through the post today and am happy to use as an alternative to my scarves.
I have a slightly more glam wig for out and about, which is not so comfortable. But I do like to have alternatives to suit my mood.

http://www.simplywigs.co.uk/catalogue/hair-pieces/filter/headband-hairpieces/index.html

I ordered the
Hot Stuff B Gisela Mayer -
You are entitled to the vat off option as well. Just like post surgery/masectomy bras are vat free.

Hope my link works. If not just copy paste it
into Google.
Vx

Ladies - La Roche-Posay are also on special offer at Superdrug at the moment. I've been waiting my chance to hit the shops to see what they've got in stock at my local store (it's Day 14 tomorrow!). I'm banned from ordering anything else online at the moment, since we missed the last delivery from Live Better With and had to pick it up from the Post Office parcel depot...

Re: September 2016 starters - Headwear

Hi Lisa, as nobody else has posted anything about how to create volume under a scarf, here is a suggestion. I don't wear scarves, but I do wear turbans and other hats, and I wear one or two sleeping caps underneath them, which gives volume as well as providing more comfort and warmth which I think we will need as the weather gets colder. I reckon this would probably work under a scarf as well. I wear two types of sleeping cap under other headwear: directly on top of my scalp I wear one of the Bohemia light jersey caps (has elastic at the back and a wide band at the front, looks a bit like I have escaped from some Civil War re-enactment group!), and on top of that I wear one of the Annabandana jersey sleep caps (looks like a beanie). Try it out and see if it works for you.

Re: September 2016 starters - Headwear on Ebay

Found these reversable hats on Ebay - two looks for the price of one Woman LOL

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Reverserable 2 in 1 Jersey Hat Headwear for Cancer Chemo Hair Loss Leukemia&_id=152233357042&rt=nc

Thanks for the info Sue - looking great by the way.Smiley Very Happy

I think our eyes will be so important to us especially with hair loss.

Boots do nor sell Urban DecayWoman Frustrated so I will have to buy it at HOF.

It;s my birthday on Friday so might just go and treat myself and buy the eyeshadow and eye liner 

xx

I am on EC chemo but it is the epirubicin that causes the hair follicles to shut down so I may be lucky, I may not. Fingers crossed I keep my lashes, or some of them at least. Reading the information on this site seems to suggest that EC causes loss of head hair whereas FEC causes hairloss all over the body. 

Sue, would you suggest that a more waxy eye liner is better for sparse/no lashes? I usually use a felt tip one but I'm always open to suggestions! I love Urban Decay make up but it is quite pricey. For those on a lower budget, or who don't wear make up outside of chemo and don't want to spend a lot, Makeup Revolution Iconic palettes are similar in colours and quality to UD but a fraction of the price. Having said that, I may treat myself to some posh eyeliner and eyebrow make up if I need to. After all, a girl needs to spoil herself a little at times like this, doesn't she?Woman LOL

P.S. I love the photo, you look very glam Smiley Very Happy

Community Champion

Hi ladies,

Eye lashes - if you are on FEC-T, you may be lucky - if on FEC throughout - you might not be, no matter what you do. If the hair follicles shut down then nothing will keep them going. I lost my lashes and with clevery applied eye liner pencil you can achieve a lot.

I used the Urban Decay 24/7 Glide On Eye Pencil, which is great for sensitive skin and waterproof. It stayed on all day, which was great. I also used their 'naked' palette of eye shadow to give a natural look to my eyes, as using two colours will help to give more definition to the eye, whilst looking natural. This is me at chemo 5 with no eyebrows or lashes.....

5th chemo 11_8_16.JPG

Hugs

Sue xxx

Lisa, I would imagine so. Any natural oil would have similar effect.

Anuntieanna:-

"I use almond oil to remove my eye make up so I'm hoping that will help to condition and keep them" -

I guess Coconut oil would do the same thing?

Hi Ladies

Found this site on Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/margarita1611-2008/m.html?item=282186305133&hash=item41b39d4e6d%3Ag%3A%7Eo...

They have a few I quite like.  Does anyone know what you can use to give some volume to the hearwear, I just look as I have a bathing cap on - not a great look Smiley Very Happy

Not sure if my hair will make it to the 12th when I am scheduled to have it shaved off - my hairdresser is away this coming week.  Hair is shreding like madWoman Sad

s-l1600.jpg

Hi Dawn, I have become a recent convert to mineral make up, I use Barefaced Beauty foundation and setting powder. Both very light and reasonably priced. If you don't like the feel of heavy make up it might be worth trying. They do travel sizes pots which are good to try it out.

I dread losing my eyelashes too. Eyebrows I can kind of cope with even though I hate the heavy drawn on look that seems to be in, but not my lovely long lashes!! I use almond oil to remove my eye make up so I'm hoping that will help to condition and keep them.

Thanks to everyone for all their tips on paraben free beauty products! Now I am starting to look a bit pasty faced and wondering at what point I will lose my eyebrows and (Heaven forbid) eyelashes, I will check out your suggestions. I haven't used make up in years, not because I am a thing of beauty but because I have sensitive skin and did not like the feel of make up on my face. So I will be needing a complete set of new products (more expense!) and looking for things that are easy to use, not too heavy and suitable for sensitive skin as the main priority.

Re: September 2016 starters - Hand, Foot and Nail Care

The Look Good Feel Better 'Confidence Kit' I ordered last week came in the post this afternoon. This contains a booklet and DVD with lots of tips on managing changes to your appearance. It is free to order for anyone unable to get to one of the workshops, though you can make a voluntary donation if you can afford it, which I've done.

SJ

Hi Lisad,

They sent me a few free samples which are gorgeous. I will be placing an order soon Smiley Happy

S x

Re: September 2016 starters - Balance Me skincare

Thanks for that SJ

They have some nice products - will check them out when time to re-stock.

One thing I use is  http://www.sanctuary.com/en-gb/overnight-miracle-oil/  I used it night and day under my normal moisturiser.

SJ

Hi all,

Another really good range is https://www.balanceme.co.uk/our-story

They are paraben, sulphate etc etc free.

SJ x

I second the recommendation for Aveeno products. I use them anyway so am just carrying on.

Also I know people look for paraben free face and hair products. I already use La Roche Posay face products which are paraben free and (I think) SLS free. They are on the expensive side when bought in Boots but I buy mine online from either Escentual or Feel Unique as both sides regularly have offers on them. Escentual have a third off La Roche Posay until 31st October at the moment.
Community Champion

Details about the hoof oil here:

http://www.kevinbacons.com/en/dressing.html

Thanks, I'll take a look!

Ladies - forgot to mention Aveeno range of skin care products are on special offer at Superdrug at the moment, hand creams are £3.45.

Sorry something went wrong with this post!

Community Champion

I am using Kevin Bacon horse hoof dressing which a horsey friend gave me. Supposed to do wonders for horses with a cracked/split hoof. My nails look OK so far.

Thanks Dawn Woman Happy

There is some useful information here especially regarding nail varnish remover.

http://www.lookgoodfeelbetter.co.uk/tutorials-and-advice

Afternoon Ladies - Some of you may have noticed that Lisad has started a Nail Care thread on the Top Tips and Practical Support part of the Forum so I thought it might be useful to start a new thread-ette on Hand, Nail and Foot Care here. As you all know, chemo drugs can do horrible things to our nails, and those of us who started treatment earlier in the month may already be feeling the effects (check out Chemotherapy Side Effects information on Macmillan website: http://www.macmillan.org.uk/information-and-support/breast-cancer/treating/chemotherapy/side-effects... details). However, there are things we can do to limit the damage by taking more care of our hands, feet, nails and cuticles now.

Lisad and I have both ordered in a nail care product called Onicolife drops for chemo nails from LiveBetterWith. But at £14.99, it isn't cheap, and nor are most of the other nail, hand and footcare products out there if we want to avoid anything containing parabens and phthalates, which we are advised to do, particularly those of us who are hormone receptive (see Sue-HS posts on Chemotherapy - Tips and Tricks). I've therefore done some trawling around to find the cheapest paraben and phthalate free products that you might want to try.

Nail Care

Almond oil - I was tipped off about this by a friend - is a cheap and effective nail conditioner, costing a mere £1.59 from Boots, similar prices from other online retailers. So if you do nothing else for your nails, get some of this. For details of how this can benefit your nails, see article in The Telegraph 20.11.11:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/8901166/The-cheap-secret-behind-the-5-millio...

Cuticle Care

Sadly there do not appear to be any really cheap cuticle creams available that are both paraben and phthalate free. The best I could find were:

Burt's Bees Lemon Butter - £5.84 from Zest Beauty, £5.99 from BigGreenSmile

Yes to Coconut - £6.39 from BigGreenSmile, £6.99 from Boots

Hand Creams

Palmer's Coconut Oil Hand Cream is only £2.50 from Boots, also available from major supermarkets at similar prices. Burt's Bees also do paraben and phthalate free hand creams but they are more expensive, typically @ £8.99 though you may find cheaper deals online. N.B. Not all Palmer's products are paraben and phthalate free, but the Coconut Oil Hand Cream is.

Foot Creams

I confess I have been plastering my feet in Boots intensive foot cream to try and improve their condition, and no the product I have been using is not paraben and phthalate free! My priority at the moment is to get rid of the hard skin on my heels, soften my feet and treat the fungal infection in my big toenails before the dreaded T cycles start! However, once my feet are in better condition, I will focus on keeping them that way, this time using products that do not include any nasties. Unfortunately, just like cuticle cream, affordable paraben and phthalate free foot creams are hard to find. Burt's Bees Coconut Foot Cream is the cheapest I've found so far, costing £8.26 from Amazon.

These are the cheapest products I could finday, but if anyone else has found something cheaper let us know!

Dawn

Thanks - I'll bear it in mind in the future, particularly as I have seen on this website the only wig that actually looks like my own naturally curly hair, and it isn't too expensive! I am not surprised you over-ordered, it is just too tempting. I have never done so much internet shopping before!

Hi Dawn

You should not have any problem in paying. If you pay via PayPal it will tell you before you pay how much it will cost you in sterling.

They are pretty quick.  I spent $200 plus and paid about $30 for postage and it will be with me on Monday, ordered yesterday so pretty quick.

I probably over orderedWoman Very Happy but thought I could perhaps advertise them on here or on Ebay the ones( hopefully there won't be)  any that do not suit.

Take Care xx

Community Champion

I have ordered from the American site a couple of times but once the UK customs held it up and I had to go to the Post Office sorting office and pay a fee. I think they stop a given percentage of parcels and I was just unlucky. A lot of what they sell including baseball caps with hair you can get from here:

http://www.wigs4u.co.uk/pages/headwear/index.asp?cat2=Baseball Hats With Hair

Thank you for these links, I shall definitely take a look.

I hope you are pleased when it arrives, Dawn. When my own fringe finally goes I shall feel much more confident with a fake one than without one at all.

I am taking the plunge today and going out in public in a scarf. My hair hasn't started coming out in chunks yet but it has been thinning rapidly since the weekend so I'm trying to get used to different headgear while I still have my own hair.

I do look rather like a wartime advert but I shall hold my head high and smile. Both my Granny and my Great Aunt said that they got through the war with tea and red lipstick and who am I to argue with that philosophy?!!

Anna - since you're happy with yours, I've taken the plunge and ordered a hat fringe and headband from Bohemia Headwear as well! At only £10.00 these are definitely the cheapest I have seen. The others I have seen on other websites typically cost around £40.00, though there are some very nice ;haloes' for hats on the American Headcovers site which cost the equivalent of around £30.00.

Dawn

Lisa - thanks for your post and I agree, the Headcovers website and the products on it (including the wigs) are the best things I have seen for ladies like us by a long way. The prices also seem quite reasonable for products of this style and quality taking into account the conversion rate (currently 1 US dollar = just under  £1.30). However, they're based in America, so I have not tried ordering anything from them, because it is likely to take quite a while for delivery, plus they only deal in dollars, and I have never ordered anything online in a different currency before, so I'm a bit nervous about it. The website says they do deliver to the UK, and you can pay through PayPal, but as well as having to pay in dollars (don't know how this works) they also refer to the possibility of import duties being levied by our own governent. I'd be interested to hear how you have got on with your order, such as how they have converted the currency, whether you have had to pay any import duties, how much they charged for delivery, and how efficient they were at getting it to you. I also hope that you are happy what you've ordered once you get it, but if the pictures on the website are anything to go by, it will have been worth the effort to get what you really want.

Dawn

Hi ladies,

I've finished chemo now but I've been reading your posts and thought you might find this link helpful. It also includes some discount codes.

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/information-support/facing-breast-cancer/going-through-treatment...

H.x

Yes, I bought my clip in fringe and a hairband from Bohemia Headwear and they delivered very quickly. They have a good range of headwear for all tastes and reasonable quality if my fringe and band are anything to go by.

Hi ladies, thank you for your feedback.

Having spent all day going through the interweb - I purchased a job lot from https://www.headcovers.com/ as to be the honest this was the best website out of them all and if I don't like them I am sure that I will be able to sell them out on Ebay.Woman Wink

Hi Lisa - I've now lost most of my hair and have managed to acquire a collection of headwear that suits me, to wear around the house and outside as an alternative to wearing my wig. To be honest, it doesn't really matter what sleeping caps look like because nobody except you and your nearest and dearest will ever see them - you wear them in bed and under your outer headgear. You're quite right to order a supply of these as your number one priority and I hope the company you have ordered from will deliver quickly, before your lose too much of your hair. I ordered some hats from Hats 4 Heads yesterday and they arrived just before lunchtime today - service just doesn't get any better than that. I have also found Annabandana and Bohemia Headwear are very efficient at turning round online orders, Trendco less so and they don't always have in stock what the website says. With regard to hats and other outer headwear, you're quite right, some of the specialist company websites are dreadful in terms of presentation of their wares, making shopping for suitable headwear something of a leap of faith. The one exception I have come across so far is Suburban Turban - but be warned, they're expensive. It is of course a matter of personal choice (as well as budget) what headwear you end up with, and it can be difficult to find the right thing which you will be happy to wear in terms of both comfort and visual appearance. There may be a bit of trial and error and agonising over it with your family and friends before you find the right things for you, so before ordering anything I suggest you check to make sure the company you are ordering from will accept returns, so that if you really hate what comes through the door, you can send it back and get a refund. As a stop gap, once you have your sleeping caps there's no reason why you can't wear your own existing hats on top. I went out in one of my existing hats this morning, it was a bit hot admittedly, but looked OK. The specialist companies such as those I mentioned supply hats specifically designed for people without much or any hair, but you do need to wear something underneath them to protect your head from any discomfort from the outer headgear, and possibly also to add extra warmth as we move forward into the winter, be it a wig cover, a sleeping cap, or a 'buff' or a combination thereof. You can also get fringes that tuck in under hats to frame your face and make it look as though you have hair, which you can get your hairdresser to trim to suit. Hats 4 Heads and Suburban Turban supply these and so do others. I haven't bothered to get a fringe, but check out Auntienanna's posts for further information, she's got one and seems pleased with it. Above all, don't despair, there's going to be something out there just right for you, it is just a question of finding it - so happy hunting.

Lisa,

I also hate the headware on the chemo sites.

Came across this one today whilst I was looking at wigs.

They do a ruffled variety. I need some sort of height and texture on my head to replace the hair. Most of the headware I saw on other sides was either flat or bonnet-y.

https://www.hairware.com/collections/vendors?page=1&q=Chemobeanies

Hope that helps. I've yet to find my perfect chemo hair cover.