342349posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

September 2017 Chemo Starters

Highlighted

Re: September 2017 Chemo Starters

MrsMeow, I'll certainly look into the wig tape, although still trying to remain optimistic about not needing to use it 🙂

Sounds like been through the mill a bit re: surgery and your wounds. Seems like it's probably the chemo affecting it then and perhaps that's what's also happening with me, I'll let you know as my bruised feeling had gone prior to round 2 so I'll see what happens over the next few days.

hope you enjoyed your pizza!

Highlighted

Hi Cathysid,

I've only just had chemo 2 and normally post on the October thread but like to read all you ladies experiences as it lets me know what to expect further on, so thank you for your amazing insights and support it really has helped me! Anyway, I'm 44 and also pre-menopausal and on my first chemo round I also experienced some hot flushes usually in the evening 9-10pm and then again during the night. It was after I'd long come off the steroids days 10-13 of the cycle, I also wondered if it was early menopause but mentioned it to the nurses at my chemo session this week and they said it was normal and that I'd probably still have my period which is due this week. Don't know if that helps?

Highlighted
CK

Morning ladies!
Had a good 7 hours sleep and woken up by my neighbours pushing out their bins! I do mine rhe night before! Brekkie and TV now b4 I get ready to visit Maggies Centre!

Cathysid
Good to see you with a good appetite, think about the weight later, although when I saw you ,you looked perfect! I'm going to Maggies Centre at Christies today for Yoga and Mindfulness. A lady on here is coming over too! Have you been since? My only time since was rhe Look Good Feel Good course and Im now at Beechwood in Adswood on an 8 week course!
I had aches and pains from injections but the hot sweats sound like the menopause coming on as our treatments are very hormone controlled. Maybe asked your BC team.x

Mrs Mepw
I hope you enjoyed that big fat pizza! I was on meat day yesterday! Lamb chops and onions and bacon and eggs. Strawberries and yoghurt in between. My taste buds have turned there nose up at cheese on toast and Cottage Pie this 3rd cycle! Favourite is
MANGO FLAVOURED SOLEROS!!! Yummy!

I've been able to get some tape for my wig but will need to see how to stick on as still have hair. I did have some longer strands but cut them off, my hair seems to have fallen out evenly. The lashes are still hanging in there. I hope I grow some longer thicker ones!!!xx

I did take some pics pre and after op but when I went on fb the pics showed up as a recommend and I got worried I might press the wrong button, so deleted them,lol! Omg, the thought of my blue smurf boob all over facebook🤣🤣🤣

For the ladies who have had surgery the Diprobase ointment I was given from GP for my dry skin is good for healing surgery scars too. My gp told me this and I can clarity it. My 2 scars have healed very well and I think the ointment has contributed to this. Im gutted as I will need another op to clear margins after chemo but hopefully they will heal as well too!

Just remembered I have an gours reflexolgy booked in later today too so its going to be a full day of therapies and relaxation.

Hope you have a dmgood day ladies.xxx

Highlighted

Glad you’ve turned the corner,Mrs.M., Ali and Ck - and enjoying food again! I find I’m ravenous from around day 8. My partner has been giving me extra large portions and I polish off all the kids left overs too! I really need to get a grip on it or I will be huge by Christmas!
Hair wise I seem to have grown some very fine blonde hair on my head so have a thin fuzz of very fine fluffy stubble. Strangely the very fine hair seems to be resistant to the chemo. As is the resilient leg hair! I still have eyelashes and eyebrows too though they were never the best specimens.

Is anyone else suffering with aching leg muscles at night and hot/cold sweats? I’ve been having the sweats since my last chemo 2 weeks ago - they start on an evening and wake me up on and off all night. I’m wondering if it’s a side effect of he chemo or chemo induced menopausal symptoms(!, I’m only 39!).
Hope you all have a good day,
C x
Highlighted

Hi Meesh - surgeries were late June then late July - my physio says i look like they were 3 weeks ago not 3 months - I actually even had a haematoma with the original biopsy and had 2 seromas drained post op so guess I am just a leaky individual. Gentle pilates has helped and range of movement good though chemo definitely makes it all more inflamed. Am emerging from the worst of round 3 - love getting to day 8 even with all the bits falling off.

I can recommend wig tape - I put tiny bits around the front top but is enough to really be reassured that there will be no sudden scalpings! Does anybody else still have hair that is hanging on in there? I didnt cut mine short, didnt cold cap and have almost lost it all but have these weird long combover bits and they seem to be staying - I dont really want to cut it as this is the natural way I have been left and am quite proud of the straggly bits but my husband certainly thinks they dont add to the picture - sort of a cross between Trump and Casper the friendly ghost! 

Just made and eaten an enormous pizza - so much for losing weight this time around oops. xx

Highlighted

Thanks CK I have coconut oil I just wondered if it was different to coconut wax, but doesn't sound like it. I use it for cooking and also for other homemade beauty products, like scrubs and curl cream. I'll look on you tube for chi gung thanks again!
Highlighted
CK

Ali
Yes you are just like me, not too bothered yet our friends are. But I wear a wig to work ascustomers dont know and it just avoids comments like 'Is it bad hair day?' Sometimes dont want to cause discomfort.x
Highlighted
CK

Hi Meesh
The coconut wax is solid in rhe jar and then when we get sme out and rub it in our hands it turns to oil! If you Google Coconoil it tells you more about it.If we rub onto our bare head it potects our folliicles and also prepares the follicles for when our hair comes through again.
Its nice and smooth on rhe body too! I tend not to cook with it as it makes you gain weigjt, so for those who want to add on a few pounds then its ideal to cook with it.

I will see if I can share my Chinese version of Chi Gung for you on here...but you can YouTube Chi Gung exercises to see if English Version.xxx
Highlighted

MrsMeow, when did you have your surgery? Mine was 7 August, my skin still has some discolouring I assume from the bruising. I had severe bruising (apparently) where they moved the breast tissue about. I called the bcn last week because I did feel some bruising below my armpit to the side of the boob (although the skin wasn't discoloured) just felt bruised to touch. I've started doing some gentle yoga again and thought it might be that. She said it could be or it could be the chemo affecting that tissue as everything's still healing in that area. Don't know if that's a help to you or not. Sucks not to be able to drive though especially as you're so reliant on it too! Hope you can get it resolved soon 😊

Highlighted

I actually took preop pics too which I'm glad I have but not looking at them at this stage! Anyone with the blue dye may feel the same need to see that going - have always called it baboon boob haha.
Seeing doc soon re healing - actual wounds are great but still rebruising every time I dare move far or drive - not great for rural living haven't driven for months and I usually do over 1000 miles a month! At least the chemo cycle is turning a corner and apart from sore mouth and dramatic flushing am almost in one piece...
So glad people are rallying round Meesh- it makes all the difference xx take care x
Highlighted

Ha ha MrsMeow, perhaps now I understand the purpose! It's probably not such a mad idea as my own healing seemed to take forever and I couldn't see any change. Although I did end up with a haematoma week 4 after surgery (think it'd been there from the start personally as the swelling didn't go down at all in that time) ended up bursting with a trip to A&E but all was well in the end and it cleared up really fast after that. So perhaps if I'd taken pictures I'd have known there was no progress! How's the healing going?

Highlighted

ChasandDave and Meesh - just to show we are all slightly mad in this new normal - I did mean my own photos as sending them by email to the team for review saved me from a long sore drive - maybe I should remember to delete them off my phone haha. After 2 ops and drain etc I did actually take a photo diary so I could see some progress to cheer me up - but understand that wouldn't be everyones cuppa -
Hope you all have a good day - managed a walk today in the autumn sunshine - is all progress xx
Highlighted

ChasnDave, I realised that but it reminded me of my friend asking I'd taken pictures of my own boob after surgery, i mean who wants to do that? Who would you show it to as I doubt anyone else would want to see it!

CK interested in your Chi Gung 18 steps, where can I find out about that? I've been meditating and doing yoga to combat the anxiety I felt after stopping all my meds on day 5 of my first cycle. Would be interested in trying that too. Also what is the coconut wax you refer to is that different to coconut oil?

I'm day 2 chemo 2 now and doing ok after feeling a bit rough after chemo yesterday.

hope everyone is having a good day!

Highlighted

IIs funny how quickly 'almost bald' has become normal CK. When people call to.mine i have no hair on and i am still.saying do you mind seeing me like this? I forget that i am used to it now but its a shock for them. I honestly prefer to be bare!! The people i definitely make an exception for are my children's friends and my little nieces.

Xxx

Highlighted

oooops! just to clarify in case some of you think I'm slightly mad...the hospital was taking the photos of my boobs!
Highlighted
CK

Hi ladies. Thanks for asking Ali.xx
Chemo 3 day 9 today and feeling pretty normal apart from tired legs. I braved it and attended a charity function last night and did a lot of walking and actually danced! Usually I'm over chemo daze by day 6/7 & yay, yesterday last GCSF injection til next cycle!

For 5 hours I actually put BC aside, practically forgot about it and I think my friends who know were more emotional than me!
I did get a lot of 'You look really well!' and when I told them I had a wig on they actually did look shocked! But the wig did start hurting a bit as the fastener is a little too tight! Next time Im going to use tape instead. I asked my friends if they would luke to see my bare head on the way home but they said no! Its strange really as it wouldnt have bothered me, but would them and they said 'Its not you then!' 🤔 erm , but it is me!!! It was a scream when we left the Hotel as it was really windy and I had to hold on to it for fear of it blowing off🤣Next time I go out I am going to take a hat to change into for the journey home!

We stopped off at McDonalds at 12 midnight and a Fillet of Fish and Vanilla Milkshake went down very well! Funny though as had a top 3 course meal at the Hilton Hotel earlier on!!Just chomping all of the time helps the funny feeling in rhe stomach!

Anyway, apart from a few aches and pains as usual cycle 3 has been simular to the first 2 cycles. My V pillow has been fab for my neck and back! You deffo need one!

I did invest in a hand and arm squeezer which helped a small ache which went up my arm and I assume its from the treastment as I have it through a cannula. I just sweeze this sqeezer when Im watching TV! It has helped!

Coconut wax on my bare head has helped as it was really dry at one stage!

No rash on cycles 2/3 and maybe because Ive been covering myself with Diprobase ointment in evening b4 bed and cocout wax during the day! I love the smell of it and Merlot the cat licks my legs and hands! He likes it too!!

Another thing which has helped me tremendously is Chinese Chi Gung 18 steps breathing exercise!
Whenever I've felt breathless, tight chested, can't sleep, headaches, anxious or panicky at home these exercises help. They are not just helping your lungs and heart through breathing but the moves also help as easy exercise and especially after I had a lumpectomy I needed to do arm exercises, this helps the whole body! In Hong Kong and China crowds go to the park in the morning to do Chi Gung and Tai Chi! These xan be done and help even if not ill. I will certaily carry on doing them!

Anyway, mentioning food has started my tummy rumbling.
Hope you ladies are feeling ok and getting plenty of rest. I'm most certsinly going to rest today and habe a soak with my Epsom friends.xx

Highlighted

Morning all, day 8 for me and feeling ok!! CK how are you?
Mrs meow i hope you are feeling better today and Fairy on the horrible days i think 'I am not doing this any more!!!'

We will get there ladies! Hope its a nice day where you are as its lovely here in Liverpool xx
Highlighted

Hi All, after being totally wiped out on day 6, today, day 7 has been a much better day for me. I had an upset tummy a couple of yimes but i think that is just a result of all the drugs!!

The main difference with this 2nd cycle is how using the mouthwash and oral gel from day 2 has headed off my sore mouth. By this time last cycle my mouth was so sore and bled when brusing my teeth. This time it isnt. My mouth is still dry and tongue a bit rough but although the soreness started it has not developed xx
Highlighted

CK, just scrolled down and read your post! Well done you! When I was diagnosed I wondered how I'd cope as I don't have a huge support network (my family all live 2 hours away apart from OH). I have been surprised how many people have rallied round though. 

Highlighted

Ha ha ChasnDave that made me laugh 😂 and reminded me that a friend of mine had a melonoma removed just before my op in August, after my op she showed me pictures she'd taken of her leg and scar and asked if I'd taken a picture of my boob after the op 😮 Not sure who she thought I'd be showing it to!

Highlighted
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Fairy dust the thank you was for what you put on Oct thread, really helps us chemo starters a lot knowing there is such lovely people on the forums who kindly share all their knowledge and experience on this journey, a journey that would be impossible without the amazing people on these forums. 💕💕✨✨shi xx
Highlighted

Deep breaths Mrs meow. It does pass but it is totally horrible when you're going through it. I think I read on one of the other chemo monthly threads someone describing themselves feeling like roadkill! I've robbed that fab description which I now use at home so my husband & boys know how **bleep**ty I feel!

on a similar note Mrs Meow, I had 'before' photos took of my boobs the other day in readiness for double mastectomy in January. Not my best moment! from every angle too! with my Bridget Jones knickers on which were hiked up that high under my boobs, the photographer gently asked if I could fold them down a bit for a 'clearer shot!'😁😨
Highlighted
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Fairy dust 😘💕💕💕✨✨✨✨thank you shi xx
Highlighted

Talking about being teary. I do feel for all of you with tears over this..however I appreciate being teary as to destresses me a fair bit. I don't talk about my cancer or treatments face to face with anyone by choice, so every now and then I give myself a hug and allow my emotions out to myself. I still question why I agreed to chemotherapy as it completely wipes me out for only a 7% increase on a low base, but you guys give me strength to carry on. Thanks for all your advice, help, support on this forum, and I hope to be of some support to you too.

You're all amazing.

Fairydust x

Highlighted

Hope you have a better day today Mrs Meow xx

Highlighted

Survived day 6 - thanks for all the sharing that some of you had teary days at this point too... it means a lot that you share the challenges and it all helps.
Weird day involved taking photos of wounds for the care team! The joys of rural living. Luckily the sickness is away so maybe this FECer is going to turn a corner after all....
Loving the ass kicking feedback too! Power to you all - have a great night! X
Highlighted
CK

Ali and Mishy
So true! I do have a large supportive network and thats only 3 out of the crowds,hahaha but b4 this I would have tolerated them...not now!!!
I'm enjoying Merlot the cat for company at the moment...although he's an attention seeker too😾😾
Highlighted

Oòoohhhhh CK we aint gonna mess with you today lady!!

But i do know exactly what you mean! No time to suffer fools at the moment! This does invite us to take stock and see what is important and what is not!

I have a great family and great friends who are getting me through and i am absolutely gtateful for all of the. I was only saying today how a little text, gesture or message can mean the world at times. It has certainly made me think that i need to be more thoughtful in future.

I dont even think about work! I love my job but its just not important right now because others can do it!!

Anyway CK you just keep doing what you want to do and planning that me time. Lots of love xc
Highlighted

CK Hahaha love it isn't it funny how things that didn't used to suddenly grate on you 😂😂😂😂
Highlighted
CK

Hello lovely ladies! Just had a catch up and a smile after being on one today:0
I took ages writing a thread so I'm posting it here tooSmiley Very Happy

I just want thank you ladies for your words of support for me and each other which really helps us get through tough times!

We all find ways of coping through life on the whole, never mind what we are going through now and the words of encouragement for each other on here really do help us.

Whether we cope by still working, raising for charity, donating time, exercising, eating habits, exercise or by simply offering words of comfort, we are all not just trying to get through this difficult time day by day but when I read the threads I cant help but realise what a bloody good bunch of ladies are on here sharing anything which may help someone else!

My diagnosis has really change my outlook on life! I worked hard for the past years non stop becaise I had to bring up my daughter, but now I have realised she is 20 and I need to concentrate on myself and my health and continue to fundraise in between, of course! This will never stop! It's my way of motivating myself and using what I have to be able to help others have a better qualitly of life, but I will take it much more easier, do the organising and let others do the running about😉

There is going ro me more me time in store and doing what I want to do for a change!

I used to worry about what people thought of me or how they judged me! Not anymore! Couldnt give a toss! I will do what I feel😂

I dress up to look good and feel good for myself now! If anyone doesnt like what I wear, tough! But my self esteem and confidence isnt as high now which is what treatment has done to me, but what I do know is that it will come back!!!👍👍

My tolerance with people has changed! I used to be very tolerant and give people and situations plenty of chances! Not anymore!

I had a 'friend' who we knew was a drama queen and couldnt control her drink but I would guide her and tell her if she was a laughing stock! She tried to turn my situation into her drama, tears, getting pissed, shouting and making a fool of herself but when I had it out with her she went very quiet and stayed away. I told her she didnt need to but just accept that she was wrong but no, she is so stubborn by the time she had realised how wrong she was and I'd given her 3 chances to see me it was too late! Im actually relieved her negativity isnt around anymore and hope she can sort her head out! But the last straw was when I was told by her sister that she made the family think for montbs thst she had 'C' for attention! How sad is this!!!

Then I sacked my date who decided to tell me he had depression when he found out about my diagnosis! Yet he was out til all hours getting sloshed and fit enough to do go to work, business meetings etc! I look back on things and realised he use to blame me for his abnormal behaviour after a drink!

And the last straw was when a gossiper(we all know for this) went to my hairdresser a couple of times to get information about me and actually said ' My friend told me CK was ill!' Has she been? Has she had her hair done? What did she have done? Reslly? Long? Short? Etc etc etc! My hairdresser was uncomfortable and told me...so I sent her a text to tell her to button it and if she wanted to know something why not ask me herself???She couldnt help herself, even if we didnt invite gossip she would just talk and put everyone down. Before this, I gave her excuses that she was unhappy but not anymore! Rid!!!

I dont know about you ladies but when I hear someone complaining about something trivial it really winds me up! Really, you are complaining about the floor being dirty and having to clean it again!!! Or you are really dying of a cold??? ITS A COLD!!! I know everyones problems are their own but.......

Anyway I've told the mates(the ones left😂) apart from my change with tolerance and patience I am still the determined, kind, generous lady who wants to be here for others too but beware...DO NOT PISS ME OFF( excuse my language🤣🤣🤣

Hope I'm not the only one feeling like this!!! I am nice really😉😉👍👍
Highlighted

Fairydust, you made me giggle. It’s mad the feeling of panic you get when someone nearly catches you unexpectedly with your hair off!
Highlighted

So. One of my near neighbours knocked on my front door today, and I just rushed to put a hat on to cover my baldy head before answering.

We had a conversation, had a joke and a smile and I shut the door. 

Go upstairs again, happen to glance in the mirror and see my hat still on but the label showing mid way down my forehead..

So silly..gotta laugh though. My neighbour never said a word. Must have wondered what was going on..

Fairydust x

Highlighted

I was weepy Saturday as well and that was day 6! xx

Highlighted

Ladies I know I a month behind you but day 6 for me all I did was sleep and weep x I thought it was a steroid come down too
You are all inspirational and by following your thread it helped prepare me for my first chemo and I will continue to follow you all and rejoice in your good days and sympathies when you are struggling x
Hugs to all xx
Highlighted

Mrs meow, sorry to hear you are feeling down but yes itvis completely normal. I am 9n day 6 and have just loked back to my last day 6 in my book and it says 'feel very down'! I think it is the crash after the steroids!

Anyway i have had quite a good night and apart from a bit of backache, feeling tired and a bit fragile i am not feeling too bad. I hope you feel better as the day goes on.

Hope everyone is doing ok xx
Highlighted

Morning ladies,
Mrs M, hope you are feeling better today. Lots of love, you will turn the corner soon. Have you had your scan yet? Maybe try homeopathic arnica 3 tines daily - post pregnancy it really helped my bruising. Also arnica ointment if the skin is not broken. Waleda do both. Worth a try!

Welcome back Geordie. Glad you have been doing ok. I’ve had 3 rounds of taxotere/docetaxel now. I have left my nails polish free and so far nothing too dramatic has happened! My nail beds get sore about 2 weeks after chemo and I have a white line on my nails for every round but they are healthy otherwise, so far! I felt it better if my nails were bare so they could breathe and absorb moisturiser(they can become brittle with tax). Hoping they hang on in there! I think completely losing nails is a rarer side effect, though it does happen to some people.
Jacqui and fairydust- thanks for the book recommendation. I’ve head a couple of radio interviews and am going to buy the book now!

Well, day 2 in the Scottish Borders. Yesterday we had a lovely walk in the morning. Unfortunately I had another attack of dramatic diarrhoea. This resulted on me having to dash off into the bushes every 10 minutes! How glamorous. I had a nice 2 hour nap in the afternoon to recover. Let’s hope today is less eventful. Venturing to Berwick upon tweed - let’s hope the public toilets are nice!
Cath x
Highlighted

Hi Geordie good to hear your progress - I am first D on 8th Nov after 3 FECs - and am most def day 5 post -FEC today as having an emotional day which I didn't realise was a thing last time! I was interested in your hearing symptoms as I freaked out with my first cycle when my hearing went almost away in one ear on day 3 - for some reason I linked it to the metoclopramide as I knew this can have cranial nerve impact so changed it to ondansetron and continued with azynkeo and ondansetron for the next 2 cycles and no more hearing symptoms came.
I am very nervous of the D side effect bingo too - I already have joint pain if I have viruses like food poisoning so I think I am headed for trouble but at least if less sicky that will be something. I hope everyone has a good night - I have probably had the lowest day since diagnosis today - my surgery is not healing and chemo has been a swine today but tomorrow is another day and fully intend to not let it get me - one day in 5 months is not a bad score to be beaten so am definitely winning really! Smiley Happy
Take care all x
Highlighted

doodle to see you back on Geordie! Your fec side side effects/cycle are almost identical! except the tinnitus which sounds bloody awful. I hope the new chemo sorts it. I too start my docotaxol (with herceptin and pertuzumab) on 1st November and apprehensive about learning to cope with a new cocktail! I too have steroids to start the day before and pain relief but am nervous about letting go of my super anti sickness Emend!
fingers crossed we sail through the next few cycles and look back and wander what all the worry was about!
Highlighted

I've just finished her book too fairy dust. I was amazed that she worked through the chemo. the first week after each cycle I literally stumble from bed to the bathroom and back! and munch pies...and watch Homes under the bloody hammer!
Highlighted

Hello ladies

Sorry it’s been a while since I posted. Like a few others, I’ve been doing so well that I’ve been working between treatments and therefore haven’t had much time to post. I’ve been keeping up with your posts though and it’s good to hear most of you are doing well.

I’m now cycle 3 day 11 and still have hair thanks to the cold cap. It’s much thinner now but still just about covers my whole head. I am largely wearing bandanas when I go out to stop it shedding in public and avoid bad hair days. I did wear my wig a few weeks ago when I went out for a Michelin started meal with my best friends, just because it didn’t look right wearing a nice dress and makeup with my hair as it was. The wig kept riding up in the restaurant though and I got to the point where I kept pulling it back down and drawing a few odd looks however I guess when you’re paying that much for food nobody cares what you look like! My friends were pretty sozzled by that point so it was an entertaining night, despite me having been alcohol free since the start of chemo.

Apart from doing way too much work and not spending enough time on myself, I’ve been trying to embrace the ‘anti-cancer way of life’. For me this means I’ve had to massively cut down on mainstream wheat and smoked/cured meats (I miss bacon and chorizo!), and eat way more nuts, seeds and oily fish as well as the masses of veg I already ate. I feel so much better for all of this and intend to stick with the changes permanently. As well as alcohol, I have given up caffeine too as several chemo booklets I read said both should be avoided throughout. I’ve found clipper organic decaf tea is just as nice as normal tea so haven’t really missed it. San Pelegríno sparkling water is my prosecco equivalent and I’ve discovered how much easier (and cheaper) nights out are when you can park at the door and drive home at the end 😉. I suspect once chemo is over I will occasionally have an alcoholic drink but it will be very occasional and only one, rather than the heavy nights out I used to have once every month or so.

I am now used to my own experience of the FEC cycles - constipation and tiredness days 1 &2, spaced out, bloated and weird glassy-eyed crazy look days 3&4, total emotional downturn days 5&6, back to feeling the new normal days 7 onwards. Hair loss peaks day 15-18 after each round (from chemo 2) and I’ve had one of the rarer side effects of cyclophosphamide since cycle 2 - tinnitus (constant fire station alarm in my ears). That’s one for the symptom bingo!

So now I’m used to it, it’s all about to change as I’m half way through -it’s time to start on Docetaxel/Taxotere on 2nd November. Joy!Hopefully the tinnitus will stop on the next set of drugs but I’m nervous about the new routine and side effects. It’s a brand new bingo card! My oncologist has prescribed me the steroids to start the day before instead of the day after. She’s prescribing codeine to add if I get joint pains (which are very common with this drug) and in case paracetamol isn’t enough. She’s also said that I am far more likely to get diarrhoea than constipation and is giving me some meds for this too. We are sticking with the Akynzeo on the day as it’s worked so well so far, although she’s said nausea is much rarer with the T cycle and I probably won’t need the metaclopromide next time. She’s also said the cold cap works better on T so hopefully less hair loss and it might even start growing back a bit. However she has said there’s evidence to show T is light sensitive in our nails so it’s time to embrace the dark nail polish. Several fellow chemo’ers who are further on have told me to have gel nails as it worked for them. I’m a bit nervous about this though as gels have wrecked my otherwise very good strong nails in the past when it’s been removed. However I can’t do my own nails and am so clumsy anyway that normal nail polish comes off my nails within a day of it going on! I normally wouldn’t care but I’ve seen other people’s chemo nails and how they’ve come out and really want to try and help myself on this as much as possible. Wondering what you other ladies are doing for this and which way to go?

Geordie x
Highlighted

Hi all.

Just read Victoria Derbyshire`s book on her breast cancer experience. Wow, what a read. It's raw, emotional, and has hints of all you guys experiences.

Read it in one weekend. Unputdownable, even though my cancer is different from hers it resonates.

Fairydust x

Highlighted

Ck, glad to hear you're doing so well after chemo 3! I love it that your cat follows you, obviously doing nurse duties and making sure you're ok! Pets are such a comfort when you're not feeling great. The week after my first session my cat loved having me at home all day especially as I spent most of it in a blanket on the sofa and she rarely moved from my lap. The second week she brought me a shrew (obviously thought I needed it to build me up or perhaps as her equivalent of giving me a box of chocolates)! 

Have a good day even if the weather is lousy!

Highlighted
CK

Good morning September ladies! Im quite pleased to have been resting through those stormy two days we had in Cheshire. It seemes to have calmed down a little today!
Cycle 3, day 6 today. Still funny taste in mouth, tired and achy body from GSCF in jections but otherwise,not bad!
I went into work last night for a few hours, cant believe its a week since my event for Prevent Breast Cancer and had another cycle in between! Once the funds are in, it should be near to £2,000 raised! Thank you to those who have donated❤

Anyway, halfway there with 3 cycles to go! I know it will get harder and my body and mind will get more tired but I have realised that rest, really is the way to do it! Please try not to overdo it at the beginning of treatment even if you dont feel tired! I think we want to tell ourselves that we can do this and do that and can be stubborn but I do advise plenty of rest whenever you can!

I did have a slight pain going up my arm which the cannula goes in and have found that the rubber hand and arm squeezer has helped! A good investment! Just squeeze as watching TV!

Taste buds different yet again! Potatoes, steak and Lamb chops this time round!

More long soaks for these poor aching bones and muscles too and walks around the block with Merlot the cat following me!

I hope you all have a nice relaxing Sunday!
Lots of love❤

Highlighted

MrsMeow, thanks for the curly wig tips! The wig consultant didn't think she'd be able to match a wig to my hair, so she let me order 3 (2 curly and 1 straight). I think she was a bit worried as she'd never had to provide a curly wig before. None of them looked like the pictures I ordered from, 1 was no good, she didn't even get it on me properly before I said no! Looked like an old lady with a dodgy perm! The other curly one was pretty good and was much curlier than the picture but a bit too bouffanty on top. She did suggest I could get a hairdresser to cut it for me, which I think I'm going to do. The straight one was a nice wig but just wasn't me and thought I'd then end up with way too many comments and questions from people. Will have to look into the wig tape if the cold cap doesn't work 😕

Good thing about bout curly hair is that you can fluff it up a bit to hide any thinning patches (well I'm hoping anyway) 😊

Highlighted

Hi cherry and meesh - I took mine for a haircut to the hairdresser who ordered it for me and then used my own products on it to make it look a great match, bought wig tape to make sure it stays on and have used a couple of small clips on the top to calm it down. I am a very curly girl! Have had lots of compliments on the match and even wore it to chemo as was fine all day. I find it helps to keep a hat on it while on the stand - all tips to stop it being too puffed up! Good luck x

Meesh, yeah - what is it with wigs?! They all seem to have far too much hair

(not that I'm one to comment!! 😜) I think they'd look so much more realistic if they weren't quite as bouffant.

Yep, I'm secretly hoping that my wig stays on the shelf. Although it would be nice to have decent looking hair for special occasions... 

Highlighted

Cherry, can understand not being able to get the wig on with all that hair, I'd have been the same prior to my chop. I also have a wig which I've called Shirley (as it looks a bit Shirley Bassey) and I really should get the top trimmed as it's a bit bouffanty there but I'm reluctant as I'm hoping I won't need it!

Have good weekend!
Highlighted

Hi Jow, I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the sauerkraut and kombucha. I was eating sauerkraut prior to chemo along with drinking kefir (fermented milk drink) but was advised against it during chemo as both were unpasteurised. I'm not sure though as there is other research to suggest it is ok as both are good gut health and are probiotic. Difficult to know what to do really 🙄
Highlighted

Hi Meesh!! No, Raquel is still on her shelf in the shop on Penny Lane. After my matted tangled scenario when I last washed my hair I've hardly lost a strand so still don't think the wig will fit on. Great news that the cold cap seems to be working for you too. Have a lovely weekend xx

Highlighted

Hi Cherry, was beginning to think you may have dived into the Mersey after your wig! As that's the last we heard of you! Cold cap seems to be still working it's magic as my hair is all still pretty much there and hasn't run 🏃 for the hills yet!

Hope those of you recovering from chemo are doing ok. Have a good day ladies!