373810posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

September 2017 Chemo Starters

Cathysid

Re: September 2017 Chemo Starters

Jow, hope you are feeling ok. Waiting for tests and results has to be one of the hardest parts of this! Glad the lung nodules have been dismissed but to have new concerns with your bones must be frustrating and worrying. Hopefully you will get the all clear on the bones from your next scan and you can concentrate on moving forward again.
Here is a link to some studies on melatonin and breast cancer - it is looking to be beneficial for breast cancer patients.
http://www.greenmedinfo.com/substance/melatonin?ed=1080#abstracts

Glad you got to enjoy some muddy sledging. I did a bit of that myself and had more fun than I expected to!

Well, I had a lovely weekend away. We stayed in a lovely gastro pub near Ambleside. The food was amazing, and I drank my monthly quota of Pinot noir in one night - oops! Went for some lovely long walks and even saw an otter - so beautiful. Now heading back to the kids and dogs. It was so peaceful without them but yes, we did miss them.

Fairydust- hoping your hip is better. I had a sore hip at the start of treatment and luckily it turned out to be arthritis rather than anything worse. Worth having the tests for peace of mind.

Mrs M - hope you are warm and cosy. The snow is melting down here. Are you still getting more snow up there?

Cx
jow

Hello and sorry for silence, I’ve not had a chance to go on my iPad as have had kids off school and a friend staying (she braved 5.5 hours public transport through the snow to get here- dedication indeed).

My results were delayed which has been hard. We have done a lot of floor pacing,  I won’t bore you all with the details and frustrations but got them on Friday whilst sledging, so couldn’t hear too well.  I think my surgeon said that the multiple lung nodules look unchanged which suggests unlikely to be secondaries which is good news.  But for some reason I now need a spinal MRI to check out the abnormalities in my spine and hips.  I had a PET scan last summer when diagnosed to check out those bone issues and the PET seemed to suggests the anomalies were not cancer so I wasn’t worried. My surgeon said this next scan was for reassurance. She asked if I had back pain which I didn’t but I do now- the power of the mind !  I hope! 

Everyone here is delighted re the lungs.  I don’t think they understand that there is still uncertainty over my bones, but guess no need for others to be worried. All of us here are going to have to get used to living  with uncertainty but I suppose at times some of us have a bit more of it.

Im hoping this latest scan though will at least enable me to get the iv Zometa that others in the UK are getting rather than an oral bisphosphonate called ibandronate with less evidence of effectiveness.  I’m seeing oncologist on Tuesday so hoping it isn’t too much of a negotiation!

Our snow is turning to slush now and sledging is muddy. Glad your car is ok Fairydust and that you can get to the radiotherapy. Sorry to hear your hip painful, and yes agree needs checking out if not getting better. The radiation from XRs and scans appears not to be an issue once you already have cancer,  it is all relative!

and Cathy I hope you are having a wonderful weekend.  It must be hard celebrating a  major and emotive  birthday in the midst of all of this.  And Mrs Meow it is good that your energy levels are returning.  I’ve also been a lot better in the past 3 days although sleep is a bit erratic.  I have got some melatonin Cathy- I had it for jet lag after India last year but not tried it this time.

i get my next zoladex tomorrow and start the letrazole too. My ovaries and tubes are being surgically removed on 14 April. I’m slightly anxious about the Pulmonary Embolus issue.  I’m due to finish my daily injected anticoagulants in 2 weeks but looks like I’ll go back on them after the op. I have got used to self injecting although can’t say it is fun.

I’m v  pleased we still have an NHS even if it is a bit decimated! Im certainly getting my money’s worth!

Dog is on my clean white duvet. She’s is a lovely companion but a bit grubby!  I wonder how Merlot and CK are?

love

jo x

Fairydust 14

Good luck with the job hunt MrsMeow, you're a strong supportive, kind lady..and any employer would be lucky to have you..
Fairydust 14

Wow Cathysid, have a great journey and weekend...relax and enjoy the cold crisp fresh  air in your lungs..bliss!

MrsMeow, I was thinking of you when I was getting to hospital the other day, I wondered how difficult it would have been for you if you rads appointments hadn't already completed, good timing for you..Good job! Glad you're ok, and don't worry about having given in to fatigue, it's the only thing you could have done..Well done in your recovery, hope it continues for you...:-)

Jow, also thinking of you. Really hope you're ok.

And yes, last week was a tough one for me. My first week of rads, but my amazing friends and family got me there on all days bar one day when we had the worst snow ever, and I took a taxi. Fortunately, somehow taxis were still operational, and only had to wait 25 minutes for it to arrive for the return journey..I did give a tip on both journeys..

However, my car is now out of the garage, and cost less than I expected, so all good. Turns out did not need a new alternator as the AA thought, just a new fan belt and new earth wire.  So I'm mobile again and may be able to drive myself to rads next week. I do feel a throb in my affected area on the left, but nothing major yet..they recommend paracetamol or ibuprofen if it gets bad. But they say to use any lotion to cream myself and to bathe and shower as normal..which I know hasn't been the case for other ladies, but my routine for bathing hasn't had to change which is a blessing as I love a bubble bath..

I do have a sore hip which might be a chemo after effect..really hurts when I get up and do anything strenuous. My rads consultant says to see how it goes and an xray will be organized if it's still sore at end of rads, so I'm limping now which makes me look worse than I actually feel. I feel fatigued but ok so far .. Hope not to feel any worse than this but we'll see... Just really really glad chemo is over..!!!

Have a Lovely day today all!

Fairydust x

MrsMeow

Have a great neverending birthday Cathy - well deserved - is this the child free trip? Hope it is amazing and you can switch off completely. No ill effects from shoveling snow for me - so chuffed to be making pizzas, cleaning bathrooms again - have been a sloth for long enough - it's true when they say the fatigue just cant be got past and to give in to it - I had no choice and am glad I rested when I did. Have a lovely weekend everyone and stay safe in this horrible weather xx
Cathysid

Yey - on the road to Cumbria! Snow has melted so hopefully we will get there!

Mrs M - glad you are feeling more energetic. Wow, digging cars out of the snow, super woman! Good luck on the job search.

Jow - have you had your results? Hope they are ok. Thinking of you.

Fairydust- hope you got to rads ok and car is mended,

Cx
MrsMeow

Hope radiotherapy is going well Fairydust and that everyone is safe and warm. Been cut off here for a few days but all is good - so grateful that rads is finished for me as I would have been away from home all week with the weather. I seem to have turned a corner with energy which is much welcomed and long overdue - if you had told me a week ago I would be digging cars out of the snow today etc it would have been hard to believe. How are you doing Cathy? Did you get away? Hope there are lie-ins aplenty if you did. Jow did you get results? Mishy hope you not snowed under... Back to jobhunting - been signed off till mid April but need to start to have a plan - started letrozole yesterday which is a really weird thought that this is now my routine for the next ten years - good job is for a good reason! x
Fairydust 14

Hi Jow, best of luck with your ct results, when are they due?

Perhaps have a drink of pinot grigio as cathysid suggests..Great to hear that Cathy!!great research..I will avoid the jackfruit though Jow!!

Hope you're all coping with the snow..I've had 3  treatments so far..number 4 today..hoping I can get to the hospital..Will be booking a taxi to take me..don't want friends or family struggling to take me, and my car is in the garage! I feel a bit of throbbing already from radiotherapy, so must apply some cream or something I guess more regularly.

Still, nice and cozy at home for the time being..at least I don't have to try to get to work or anything..Hope you aren't so tearful now Cathy, but I do understand your feelings. A weekend away would be fantastic but do be careful if you do travel..

Talking of exercise Jow, there is a centre where I live where cancer rehabilitation exercises are held for free..I may join this. Will be good to meet other cancer patients face to face.

Fairydust x

Mishy18

Cathy its bad up north im in Newcastle and everywhere is closed schools uni etc Carlisle i noticed is pretty bad and Cumbria can be hit quite hard i would def give them a ring and see also for the roads x
Cathysid

Jow - good luck with CT results. Is it today? Let us know how you go. Fingers crossed for you. Hoping your energy levels keep coming up. Let me know if you find a nice alcohol free wine. I’ve not even bothered trying them for fear of disappointment! I had some champagne on my 40th - really enjoyed it, but feel guilty when I have a drink now. One of my cancer books says a glass of organic Pinot noir twice a week is ok as it contains the highest levels of resversatrol which is beneficial for health 🙂 I like that idea 🙂 Better than giving up completely.
The snow just keeps coming here - hoping I can get up to grasmere tomorrow for my birthday weekend away (hotel booked and kids staying at home with grandparents!). Is there anyone in Cumbria on here? How are the roads?!?
Ali - I didn’t get the rash till my 8th herceptin. The nurse says it’s maybe because it’s now injected in my thigh rather than iv. I put Waleda calendula nappy cream on it last night and it’s a bit better today.
Hope the weather treats you ok,
Cx

Ali49

Cathy sprry to hear you jave the rash. M8ne was on my forearms but i was blaming pertuzemab! Maybe its the Herceptin! I will know mext week when i have my next jab. Hope yours is better soon xx

Good luck with CT results Jow. I dont think we will.ever get used to waiting for results!
jow

Sorry you’re not  so great Cathy.  Not surprising really- it’s been a long time of not feeling well. One day we will hopefully all feel a lot better and this phase will be a distant memory.....

Not much snow here yet but gather it is coming.  We have friends due from Brighton and Nottingham this weekend so hope they can still make it.  Husband is dusting off the toboggan bought 4 years ago and not used due to lack of snow.

Hoping Fairy that you and the other radiotherapy girls are doing ok? My skin was fine throughout although it was sore when I tried wearing a bra and prosthesis for the first time yesterday. I sslept most of the afternoon and evening yesterday- the fatigue is considerable at times, but I am def a lot brighter today, 2 weeks post radiotherapy. 

Glad to hear your exercise programme is free Cathy.  We have to pay, not loads (£10 induction plus £3 per session)  for our gym based Post cancer programme, but enough that some people would need to think twice about it.  I’ve joined and luckily there was one person I’d met from the younger women’s weekend I went on, as otherwise it would have been a bit isolating being so much younger.  I spent today at Penny Brohn doing jewellery making and yoga.  

The jackfruit didn’t quite fool me into believing it was pulled pork.  I’m now just sampling some alcohol free wine (again not convincing) whilst baking our sweet potatoes.

Need to distract myself tonight as CT results day is looming.  Think it is easier this time. Perhaps these things do make you stronger or more able to deal with uncertainty. 

Jo x

Cathysid

Well, we have 15cm if snow and the kids school was closed so they had a snow day at home with me. Great apart from feeling exhausted and and achey again 😞
I have also developed worse herceptin rash on both my fore arms. It red bumpy scabby and itchy now. Not nice. Feeling a bit tired, low and tearful today, too.
I had my nhs complimentary gym membership sorted this week. I will be doing Pilates with the “quiet class” ie. oldies(!) on a Tuesday and supervised gym on Fridays. Hoping some improvement in my fitness will increase my energy. Here’s hoping!
Hope you are all well, and those new to rads are doing ok.
Mrs M - how do you feel and how is your skin post rads?
Fairydust - hope your car is up and moving.
Fairydust 14

Brrrr!! Freezing!!!!! Thanks MrsMeow, my car is out of battery still. My brother will sort it today..but a lovely friend is battling the weather today to drive me to rads...blessed am I. 

My appt is at 10.20 so getting ready to go soon. We get given a blue thick cotton top to take home and wear each time. With zips for them to allow easy access when I'm on the table or whatever you call it. My tattoos are so small I struggle to find them, so I hope they can see them. 

I have aqueous cream and another cream I've forgotten the name of just now. 

Good luck to all this week's rads ladies!!

Fairydust xx

MrsMeow

Good luck tomorrow for everyone having rads tomorrow xx Keep cosy folks
Chaffinch17

Hope you get the car sorted Fairydust. I start rads on Monday too as do about four others from the October group, SueW, DizzyBrummie not sure who else. The February rads thread is pretty active, something to do with us chatty October ladies I think 🤣
Fairydust 14

Thanks Cathy, always a calm voice..full of sense.
Yea, I often wonder how good a friend I would be if my friend had cancer, I'd probably never see them for fear of being a nuisance to them..and they'd wonder where I am.. I can see it works both ways, I'm just not always so reasonable.
I've ordered a battery charger so I can get the car to Halfords. Should be delivered tomorrow then see how it goes!
I can't believe you gave up the chance of a lie in! Hope you're still having fun..best of wishes. Prepare for the arctic next week. Got thick socks and wellies at the ready.

Fairydust x
Cathysid

Hope you get the car sorted in time for rads, Fairydust. I don’t think you should feel guilty for declining visits or help. Just tell them you feel tired and need to rest. It’s hard being social when you are exhausted. I tend to just glaze over if people talk too much! If they really want to do something for you( it’s probably because they do genuinely care and worry about you even if you don’t want them to!) then ask them to make you a lasagne or a dish you’d enjoy, then you don’t have to spend time with them and they still get to help you!
Enjoy the nice weather this weekend - apparently Siberia is hitting us next week and it will be windy, snowy in the east, and really cold.
Ps I got my lie in, but by 7am I was bored and needed to get up! Could have stayed in bed till 9 as the kids were happy 🙂
Fairydust 14

OMG..Just realised my rads starts Monday not Wednesday..better get the AA out today after all.

Don't know what's the date....

Fairydust x

Fairydust 14

Good morning

Thanks MrsMeow, very comforting words. 🙂

In terms of rugby, I'm torn between which team to win. I like them both, but I'm born in England so should really cheer them on more than Scotland..which my friend supports...but he's not here..

Anyway, enjoy the sports, it's also GB women going for bronze in the curling sometime today..I've become a curling fan, as I do every winter Olympics. Learned the rules and everything..It's so tactical..

My car isn't working and I have rads next week starting Wednesday..I'll call the AA on Monday as can't be bothered today..So lethargic..  😞

Fairydust x

MrsMeow

Fairydust I'm pretty sure being true to yourself does not count as letting people down - it is important to give yourself permission to do whatever it takes for self-preservation - it wont be forever - our mental health is as fragile as our physical health and we are the main caretakers of both so we have to be very protective on our own behalf.. In the same vein Cathy I hope you get a lie in a bit tomorrow - am hoping for more gardening weather and also that the only uncomfortable part of the day will be the Scotland/England score at the rugby... xx
Fairydust 14

Oh MrsMeow, your OH sounds lovely, and I'm absolutely sure you would be just as great looking after him as he is of you. You sound like a lovely warm person. 🙂

But I'm sorry you have pain. Not what you need. Again Epsom salt baths really help me, but then I Have lots of codeine phosphate tablets from my gp which I am eternally grateful for if I have too much pain. I recommend them.

I'm glad you got out and about planting Apple trees. I actually bought some artificial trees for my front garden as too impatient to watch trees grow, but I do love real Apple blossom. Will they bloom this year?

Cathysid, glad you're having a lovely weekend in the sunny side of the UK! You must be relaxing well. I hope so anyway..The grass is always greener isn't it? Sometimes what you have appeals to me, a blissful house full of children's laughter and a lovely OH who adores me and is always there. What's not to like? Except the early mornings, the school runs and the constant attention seeking...but you clearly handle it so well...not so sure I could though..:-)

I am in awe of all parents .. they're amazing..should be paid to be a parent. It's such an important role in society..

I have let at least 3 people down this week by being a grump, if they would just leave me be it would have been so much easier, but all their fussing made me pull away and just want to hide..I do think they just want to feel better by helping me, but I don't always need or desire their help, so it goes unappreciated..It's so frustrating for me. I  tried telling them to leave me be for a while but fell on deaf ears...what to do.. except just say no. And thus cause upset..(sigh)

Thanks for the herbal and vitamin advice Cathy, they're new to me except for vit D. Will take a look as don't take much herbal stuff except Kalms for anxiety.

So, night night all.

Fairydust x

Cathysid

Hi everyone,
Mrs M, sorry to hear you are having more side effects with your zometa. Surely we deserve a break from side effects!!! This is one long road...Glad you are still managing some gardening though. The fresh air and nature will definitely do you good no matter what.
I’m far more grumpy these days than I was pre cancer. I can’t abide noise, crowds and chaos. I need peace and space. Preferably a bit of time to myself every day. Fairydust, I often envy you living on your own. I love being on my own but during school holidays and weekends I don’t even get to have a shower or even a wee without interruption! Saying that, we do have lots of fun together too. This mini break has been lovely. Today we went to powis castle then to an Indian restaurant for dinner. The sun shone and it was a lovely day.
Jow - sounds like another fab dinner party. How did the jack fruit go down? We had it once but I wasn’t convinced it really pulled off the pulled pork trick! I was very relieved when my friends came over last weekend that they brought the food as I had completely exhausted myself tidying the house! We need to let others look after us these days.
Fingers crossed for good results for you next Thursday Jow. Let us know when they come in.
Well, feels like bedtime soon! Still tired as hot sweats and children interrupt my sleep every night - then the kids get me up at 5.45 am! We’ve decided to let them watch tv in bed from 6am in the holiday cottage so we might get a sleep in tomorrow! They love the novelty of a tv in their bedroom 🙂

I can recommend taking the herbal supplements withania/ashwaghanda(for adaptation to stress, anticancer and improving energy levels) an omega 3 supplement, turmeric and boswellia(anti-inflammatory and anti cancer) and vitamin D.

Jow - have you looked into melatonin supplement before bed to help with sleep?

Hope you all have a lovely weekend, Cath x

MrsMeow

Fairydust there is such heart and compassion coming through from everyone who writes on here I think all of us ladies are trying to please everyone all the time and you are right we need to learn the art of putting ourselves first. My OH is being so patient at the moment - I find this stage of recovery so frustrating as when full on in chemo or rads I didn't really complain to him and got on with the job in hand whereas now the constant joint and muscle pain makes me feel like more of a whinger than before. I feel like he has had weeks of me grunting and creaking around and I grump about it because I am frustrated with myself - I dont know how he is being so nice - I often tell him I hope he never gets ill as I dont think I could do as good a job of looking after him as he has of me. Spoke too soon re being unscathed after zometa and had a rough night with backache and a temp of 37.9 - am sure paracetamol would have settled it but am so reluctant to take tablets I didnt bother - OH was in the spare room so at least he missed the tossing and turning! So last day of the big tv and olympics today - am going to get up and plant two apple trees then come back to bed - this is a bonkers time for us all isnt it?! Jo I found myself wondering what happens if you mistake the vag moisturiser for other creams and put it on your face etc Haha! am intrigued and seriously interested in how it works as well as starting letrozole next week so will be in the market for the very same. Have a good Friday folks x
Fairydust 14

Hi Jow, you can be as much of a martyr as you need, it does no harm. You need to put you first. I was told this and its good advice, although I sometimes forget and have to rein myself in. Once a people pleaser always a people pleaser I guess.

Hope the rehabilitation goes well. It sounds like they're going to do right by you. I know what you mean though, a quick sudden death as opposed to otherwise...makes you think, but best not to think I guess.

On matters of the heart, I watched Emmerdale tonight, beautiful love story of Robert and Aaron, at the end I was in tears, I love a good love story...waterproof eyeliner would have been needed  I was wearing make up..

Hope middle child stopped being scared, and you had a great dinner party. Night night.

Fairydust x

jow

Hello everyone

i was complaining to my radiotherapy oncologist today that I was still so tired.  She reckoned chemo side effects last up to a year. Great!  Apparently I should start to feel a bit better next week from the radio side of things. 

ive not been sleeping so well, so had to resort to sleeping tab at 2am.  Not sure if it’s due to my induced menopause or whether I’m worrying about my CT scan resultts. I need to wait til next Thurs for those.

On a more positive note, today I bought a waterproof eye liner and a Maybelline tattoo eyebrow kit thing.  You draw on the eyebrows then peel off and they apparently last 3 days.  I also have started Replens- a vaginal moisturiser which you apply every 3 days. Both ends covered then!   I think I look better than I did  thankfully despite only a bit of head fluff and no eyelashes. 

I also had my induction at the gym for a cancer rehab programme and was delighted to be told that although I’m still heavier than I was, my percentage of visceral (internal) fat was the lowest the instructor had ever seen! Looks like I’m less likely to die of a heart attack then,  although that may be preferable ......

We have friends around in a minute for supper but middle child says he is scared so I’m sitting outside their bedroom.  Having recovered from my vegan feast cooking last weekend, I have today bought a can of jackfruit. Apparently it is just like pulled pork.   We have our new book group supper here on Sat night so they will get the real meat, although I am tempted to try the pulled jackfruit on them.

Im still spending a fair bit of time resting too and  Mrs M I am still watching a bit of TV in bed.  I am definitely coming round to the idea that we need to look after ourselves.  No good to anyone if we don’t give ourselves the time and space to recuperate.  I think I do subconsciously like to be a bit of a martyr at times.  Not that easy to change a habit of a lifetime though.  

Jo xx

MrsMeow

Hi Fairydust sorry you are a bit lethargic and sore - I was much more so after chemo finished than in the middle of it- the muscle pains lifted a tiny bit after about 3 weeks though am still just generally feeling a bit meh Cathy hope you are excited for your weekend - my computer loaded this forum today at the page where your drain was accidentally pulled out and you put it back in - goodness you are such a machine and have been through so much! The zometa bone strengthener doesn't seem to have caused me any problems today - I actually felt quite energised and went for a 15 min speed walk with the OH - and the diet has started in earnest so cant tell if I have SE or am just hangry - I miss choc already! The adcal tablets have rules about what to eat or not around taking them so studying that is like a PhD in itself.... Hope sniffles are improving Chaffinch and Ali you are continuing to rock the postop stuff Am about to rearrange the bedroom back from all the medical stuff beside the bed and move the huge huge telly I had in here for chemo tv watching but am having separation anxiety about moving that so it is staying for now! I have turned so lazy! Have a good evening everyone x
Fairydust 14

Hi Cathy, Ohh, really jealous of your holiday cottage, where will you be? 

Sure it will be relaxing! 

I've got leg ache too, but didn't think it was the chemo after effects, but it must be. Maybe exercise will help, but lacking motivation or energy to do much. Am sure one day this will come back, but too cold to go out and walk or I'm just too tired all the time. But have a list of things I would like to do, one of which is to finally learn to ride a bike, but best buy one first! Perhaps in summer when it's warmer.

I've found I'm avoiding crowds of people still, don't want to go into the town or anywhere very busy, cinema, restaurants. Just staying home, but am happy enough. I do like my own company, and family and friends visit me at home but only when they let me know they're coming. Don't appreciate surprise visits as don't always want to talk, hold a conversation. That's hard sometimes, to talk.

Anyway, hope everyone is having a lovely day. 

Fairydust x

Fairydust 14

Hi MrsMeow, wow, well done on end of rads!! How you did those journeys is incredible!! I do hope your side effects are not too bad for you as some people say that they are worse a few weeks post rads treatments, so still take it easy.  I know there are years of tablets for you, and wow, 4 calcium tablets a day..that's a lot too. The things we have to do ey? 

It's clearly been quite a journey for you, and you've helped us through our journeys along the way, for which I for one am very appreciative. 

Good luck with your job search too. All the adversity you've had, such very bad timing. 😞

Fairydust x

Chaffinch17

Great news MrsMeow x
Thanks Cathy my main side effect seems to be a very runny nose along with a bit of fatigue so pretty good really. Glad you managed to get away for a few days and hope the seroma settles soon x
Cathysid

Hi everyone,
Kids are off school this week so been kept busy! I didnt know how I was going to manage as last weekend the leg aches and fatigue were so bad, but I have improved as the week has gone on and we’ve got a last minute holiday cottage for this weekend so it will be lovely to get away. I feel like I’ve been trapped at home for the last 5 weeks as I have not been driving - but back behind the wheel today! Still having the armpit seroma drained every 3 days but it is finally shrinking down, now satsuma sized.

Ali - how are you going?
MrsM - hope your legs are improving. Have you thought of trying acupuncture or herbal remedies. For a herbal remedy best to see a medical herbalist who is a member of NIMH or BAH accredited. A lot of damage has been done to our bodies with side effects of chemo! But at least the cancer will be gone!!!

Jow and fairydust - hope you are well, Chaffinch - did you get away with no side effects from the herceptin?

Lots of love,
Cx
Ali49

Well done Mrs Meow!! You have beennon a tough Journey but you have survived it all and helped us too along the way xxx

What is Zometa? Ive not hearx of that one!

Its been a long day of doing nothing today! But i am feeling ok and i am very gratefulfor that xx
MrsMeow

Glad you are taking it easy and recovering well Ali - had first Zometa today and managed a CT scan without any histrionics although scan machine phobia still is going strong. No SE really but feel a bit like I have a hangover (I wish!) - so this is now treatment finished for me completely - just the small matter of 10 years of tablets and seems that am going to be taking calcium tablets too which they sprung on me today - 4 tablets a day bah- but still am celebrating being cancer and cancer treatment free. Been a long time since having a lump last Christmas that took me 5 months to go to a doctor..... Sending hugs to everyone whatever hills you are currently climbing - you have all been an enormous support over the months xxx
Ali49

Hi Fairy, i am enjoying the winter olympics too!

I am good thanks. A bit tired so just taking it easy. I cant drive or do much for 3 weeksso ibwill just keep doing as i am told xx
Fairydust 14

Hi Ali. How are you now you're home? Hope you're being looked after? Rest up and sleep lots! 

I'm putting off doing the vacuuming, but will have to get onto it sooner or later. Am distracted by the bobsleigh on TV ...but if it wasn't that am sure it would be something else...:-)

Fairydust x

Ali49

Mrs meow poor you! The bone pain is the worst! Can your onc help at all? I had to keep taking painkillers when i had them but i know thats not ideal.

Hope you feel better soon xc
Fairydust 14

Hi MrsMeow, oh how terrible it is for you. Joint pain is deeply painful and hard to massage away. Epsom salt baths help me, or essential oils in a bath like lavender. I recommend the live better with cancer website for the purchase of products that can support you. I have a microwave able heat body wrap with lavender from here.  I do hope you find products that help you too.

https://livebetterwith.com/products/collections/cancer/in-pain/

All best. Hope your day is going well in the meanwhile.

Fairydust x

Ali49

All done and settled on a lovely ward with 2 lovely ladies. Thank you for all your good wishes and support xxx

Chaffinch17

Hope surgery went well Ali & Sam34 x
Chaffinch17

Hope your aches ease soon MrsMeow. I know what you mean about time without appointments. I’ve had an NHS letter in the post every day for about 5 days 🙄. I even had one inviting me for my smear test this morning. As if I don’t have enough appointments and prodding but I’ll be good and go along! The joys of being female 🙄
MrsMeow

Hope surgery went well Ali and you have a comfortable evening. Not been on for a while as despite finishing radiotherapy am still a bit battered and grumbly - rads was fine and skin and tiredness ok - but since finishing chemo, joints and muscles have been awful - am watching the Olympics at night and feeling like a crashed skier as even in bed am sore from shin splints and bruised heels etc - does anybody have any ideas what to do? We have delayed starting Letrozole and am due Zometa in 2 days and both of these things cause joint pain and the thought of it getting worse is not funny! Am still off some food and nails are coming off so am a bit of a wreck - I wasn't expecting it to be worse following chemo than actually on it. Am still gardening and bouncing around and trying to find a new job but is such a drag being so sore - especially at a time when everyone thinks I must be on cloud 9 for finishing treatment. Good news from the dentist today at least, as we need the all clear before the Zometa (it makes the jawbone go solid and so extractions are not allowed) - after my enormous extraction which delayed chemo last year the teeth are fine phew! Blood test today too prior to Zometa - soon there will be a week with no tests! Hope everyone else is getting on better and having a good day x Mrs M
jow

All the best for today Ali!

And Happy Birthday Cathy- not sure exactly what day it is but hope you had a lovely time celebrating at the weekend.

jo x

Fairydust 14

Hi Ali

Wishing you all the best for your surgery tomorrow. Surgeons are amazing. You'll be well looked after. Hope you are sleeping now, resting well beforehand.

Let us know when you're out of recovery and in your ward bed.

All best 

Fairydust x

Ali49

Thank you everyone. I am in at 7.30am and 3rd on the list! Just in for one night Cathy then dostrict nurse will come out xxc
ladybowler
Community Champion

Ali

All the very best for your op tomorrow, will be thinking about you.

Sending loads of huggles

Helena xxx

Chaffinch17

Best of luck with surgery tomorrow Ali you deserve something to go smoothly for you x
Is anyone in this group having Herceptin as part of their treatment? I’m trying to set up a group in the Targeted therapy section for help and support. It is called February Herceptin starters? I had my first injection on Friday and so far so good.
Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Ali another tip if you feel 🤮after op the nurse put an alcohol wipe under my nose for me to sniff and it took the query feeling off straight away 😘😘they will get the flight socks on you which you will have on for a few weeks after too😘😘💕💕shi xx
Cathysid

Ali,
Hope you aren’t waiting too long for your op tomorrow. You will be fine. The anaesthetics are amazing - you just close your eyes, then open them and it’s all done! If you tend to feel queasy then ask them to give you antisickness - I got ondansetron and cyclizine in my anaesthetic. I found there was far less pain than I expected, too. How long will you be staying in?
Thinking of you x
Chaffinch17

I’ve not really taken my temperature since before Christmas except when I felt unwell one night a couple of weeks back.
Thanks for the info on Herceptin, Cathy and Ali. I’ve been fine today after injection yesterday. Odd couple of little shooting pains in my thigh and a twinge in my knee but I’ve wslked 14,000 steps today so that could be it! Feel fine in myself long may it continue.
Ali49

Also meant to ask can we j7st stop tak8ng our temp now? I am c9mpletely forgetting to do it. Last chemo was 24th Jan so over 3 weeks ago now x