Started the first of x4 TC August 1st

I started chemo treatments yesterday. I’m cold capping with a DIY kit I put together with things from amazon and a local hardware store. It was a ton of work, but hopefully it will save my hair. I haven’t told anyone about my cancer outside of my partner and few friends who are survivors. My mother is 85 and suffers from severe anxiety, and I know that she would worry endlessly. I don’t want to put her through that if I don’t have to do so! I just started a new job, and I’m hoping to miss only the treatmrnt days, fingers crossed. I’ve already had a lumpectomy and node surgery (stage 1b, grade 1, 1.5 cm with 2 nodes positive for microscopic cancer cells).

My treatment plan includes the 4x TC, radiation, and tamoxifen. My DX score was 14, so I was a bit on the line of needing chemo, but I decided to go for it.

I was a nervous wreck over the last few days, but the treatment went smoothly and I’m hoping for the best re: SE. Getting started was rough, but I feel better knowing it’s 25% behind me! I would encourage all August starters to just jump in; even though it’s only been one day, I have felt better just knowing that it’s going now and will be behind me soon.

Hi
I had the same treatment as you, 2 years ago. It seems to be quite rare! Anyway, just to let you know that se 's for me were mainly coping with the fatigue. I didn’t have any sickness, or mouth ulcers. Did lose my hair though, round about day 20.
Try joining the August starters thread, as there will be others going through chemo the same time as you.
Please ask if you have any questions.
Sue xx

Thanks Sue! I will join now. I’m relatively new to the forum and still figuring things out a bit!

Hi Weezy. Can I ask why you needed to diy your cold cap? Doesn’t the hospital provide it? Good luck with your treatment. Just tell people you have flu if you need to. It is worth letting HR at work know in confidence as you are then entitled to reasonable adjustments if you need it. Kx

I live in the US, and cold cap services are not provided at hospitals or covered by insurance. I would have had to spend 2000 renting supplies for the time period of my chemo. I was able to buy everything for about 400, and I plan to donate it to someone else in need when I finish. That is, if I have success!