1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Chemo in December.2012

hamley

Re: Starting Chemo in December.

Hi. Thanks for the support. I'm back from the hospital now and it all went OK in the end.
Cress, I did have my bloods done on Friday and you were right about the quick recovery once they start to recover and mine had just come up enough for me to have the cycle thankfully. I've also taken your point concerning the lady who changed her day to Tuesday and done the same myself, the chemo nurse said she thought that was a good idea.
After all that's been said on this thread, I asked the nurse to use my left arm (my good arm) for the cannula which she was happy to do, although she did let me know that they would use my right arm if it was necessary at some stage, I hope it won't be. Previously they have just used my right (bad) arm, so I'm glad to be wiser.
I'm off to get comfy on the sofa and watch a film now, I shall also be eating Turkish Delight.
Mindy63

Hi Crackers,
I'm looking forward to the LGFG session. I don't wear much make up either and have sore eyes but think it'll give me a boost. Going to my daughte'rs parent's evening afterwards so I wil lbe some sight sporting Cher the wig, Tammy the hat and full blown tranny make up!!!
Cybele-I'm as worried as you about Tamoxifen and feel like having a full blown tantrum about it. I do not want to have all the oestregen sooked out of me. Will give it a go but will def give it up if it makes me miserable.
Hamley-Fingers crossed for your bloods.Iif they're not up to scratch try to view it as a wee chemo holiday. You'd feel awful if they fec'ed you and you weren't well enough.
Cress- you sound a bit low. I'd def stock up on goodies and treat yourself. You are having a pretty rough ride.
A word to the wise-I became a bit complacent about taking my omeprazole. I woke up at 4a.m with the most awful heartburn. I swallowed 2 pills and later some gaviscon but almost 8 hours later, though bearable, I'm still getting spasms. It was so bad I could feel the pain in my back as well as my gullet. So be warned. Take your prescribed sweeties even if you feel fine!!!

Cressida

Hamley - if you having Monday chemo does that mean your bloods were done on Friday? They will have come up over the weekend. They come up quick. I will cross my fingers (I can't feel them anyway) but you should be fine. I know a lady who changed her chemo day to Tuesday cos she got sick of this situation. x
hamley

Hi All. I've just had a call from the hospital about my blood; it's not up to scratch and they want me to come in early to have another test before FEC 3. Oh hell, please don't let it be put off, I don't think I can bear it. At least they looked at the results before I arrived.
I'll take Turkish Delight with me in case I need to sob and console myself at the same time.
Cressida

Mornng all,

Maire - I enjoyed the LGFB workshop, even though I don't really wear much make up at the best of times, never mind when I feel like sh*t and my skin is all dried up. I missed half of it cos my Onc appt ran over by 2 hours. And she had just told me that I needed more chemo so I had been crying. Despite all that I enjoyed it, had a laugh with the other ladies and was by the far the best looking girl on the bus afterwards. Anyone who has not been - the goody bag you get to take away is legendary. Book now! I am sure this will make you feel better Maire - I really hope so.

Cybele - It truly is beyond rubbish. I wouldn't get Tamoxifen so I can't identify with that bit, but a stack of chemo has pushed me into premature menopause anyway and who needs/wants granny fanny???? It may be wise not to read too many threads as they are the people having the worst experience - that's why they are on here. I do know some ladies who are on it and are not having such extreme sfx. Anyway - just remember they can't make you - you can try it and then you can run away to India (or Turkey).

I actually feel a bit better today so I want to do something productive, I just can't think of anything as I have been so unproductive for so long. What is the piont in me? I have made an apptmnt to see the false boob woman tomorrow as Silicone Cilla was meant for a pre-rads me and now I am a different shape, what with the "thickening". Oh Gawd, it is all very horrible. The best thing for me to do will probably be go to the shops for Turkish Delight.

xxx
Cybele

Today was day 5 of FEC 3 and complete HELL.
I tried to escape by writing the blog post :
Practicing the Ars Amatoria via Sun Tzu’s ‘Art of War’: today's post on http://chemonights.blogspot.co.uk/
And now I've come on here to post it and I stupidly just read the thread about what Tamoxifen does to your nether regions, and to your sex life. The Horror, the Horror. And I'm going to be taking Tamoxifen for 5 years, after the chemo and the rads are over.
I DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS.
Reading what those women are going through just freaked me out completely - if that's what Tamoxifen does to you, then I won't be taking it for very long.
How come ALL the treatments are torture?
Mindy63

Hi Crackers,
I've been lurking for days but computer's broken and can't seem to post using my phone.
Borrowing daughter's laptop.
This round of treatment continues to be more manageable than the last though the s.e's seem to be lasting longer. Still very tired. Latest ailment is a very red eye-well not my eye exactly but the skin inside my lower lid. Weird.
On my way to visit doctor out of hours service last night i had a freak collision with another car while trying to move out of way of flashing police car. Gave me a fright, then got lost on way to hospital, ended up burbling to doctor and only just managed to avoid a full weepy break down.
Slowly but surely I feel myself disappearing on this bloody treatment. No hair, eyebrows fading and self esteem starting to plummet. I was due to go to a party last night but, aside from red eye and tiredness, I just could not face turning up in a wig and hat ensemble whilst trying to be jocular and upbeat.
Ah well tomorrow I'm booked on a 'looking good' session and I hear there're great freebies.
Cressida, I sympathise with your recent bowel news. I too am tending towards the 'loose'. Nuff said?

Cressida

Ah, it's Turkish Delight, of course....

Had a bit of a sh*t Saturday, quite literally unfortunately. I found out 2 things - 1. I don't need movicol or lactulose at the moment and 2. Just when you think the indignity can't get worse, it does.

Hamley - Good luck tomorrow, I am impressed by the falling asleep. Maybe you can perfect this and sleep through chemo? I have seen it done, but never been anywhere near myself.

QD - Rubbish to District Nurses - do not give them any Turkish Delight, or say you are going to, eat a piece yourself, then say "oh, I've run out".

Maire - how are you?

Have finally managed to eat - hubbies patent breakfast special of sosys, tinned toms and eggs. If I can keep it in will try and go for a walk now there is no snow (woohoo).

Keep on keeping on Crackers, xxxx
QueenDrama

Hi All QD TD (Queen Drama Turkish Delight)! here . Hope you are all ok and bearing up.
I'll bring loads of the stuff to our summer party!!
Cress - you can have a hug and a turkish delight!
Hamley - i live in brum - well if i lived 6 houses to the left i'd be in worcestershire. Keep thinking about turkish delight. "full of Eastern Promise". A pretty gorgeous sheik in the advert if i remember. Any distraction helps!

x
hamley

QD, I live in North Shropshire, are you anywhere near? Thoughts of Turkish Delight are distracting me from FEC 3 on Monday and that can only be good!
Cybele

'Breaking the news' : today's post on http://chemonights.blogspot.co.uk/
Cressida

QD - would prefer the chocolaty thing you now have as your pic, x
QueenDrama

oh Cress - thanks for explaining tn. sounds awful. sending an industrialised sized hug! x
QueenDrama

cors u can Hamley!!! where do you live? QD x
Cybele

'A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall':

today's post on chemonights.blogspot.co.uk
hamley

Hi QD, may I come to your house for a turkish delight tea? It's my favorite kind of naughtiness.
QueenDrama

QD here! no i dont mind it being shortened. Quite like it actually. Who mentioned sore head? chemo brain here . Aveeno cream is wonderful but wash your head with simple soap first.
Well i am going to have a RANT!!!!!I went to the docs - she has clearly never seen chemo rash Tried to tell me it was something else. I asked for eye drops and more aveeno cream - granted. She tried to give me antibiotics - I took the scrip to appease her but wont be cashing in on the pills! I've changed my soap to simple and its really helping. RANT 2!!!!! the district nurse came to flush and dress my picc line. well I dont give up blood easily. I have to be flushed a a few times before I produce any ( I also have to cough a lot and jiggle my arm up in the air) . We were half way through when she realised she had no more saline so couldnt complete the flush! Why didnt she check she had everything in the first blumin place? So I had to call my long suffering oh out of work and he took me to the hospital where I have had the line flushed and dressed. Not happy especially as its snowing here and I have a pile of stuff to do!!!!!! Last night we had pizza ,garlic bread and chicken strippers so its back on the wholesome stuff tonight (except i may have to force a turkish delight in ) I'm a teacher and when I told my form that I wouldn't be withn them in Jan they gave me 15 boxes of the stuff! love to all QD x
hamley

Hi All. I've just realised that you get used to so many things that rattle you at first. I went for my bloods today (I go to the nurse at my GP). The first time I went (for FEC 1) I fainted! The second time I was OK, but the nurse had laid me down to start with. This third time the nurse laid me down, turned around for the needle, turned back and I'd fallen asleep! I've been very tired lately but that's just embarrassing. At least it was embarrassing until I read Cybeles' account of the 'dignity gown'. Now I feel positively OK about the incident (sorry Cybele).

Now it's time to lose sleep and get into mega panic mode for Mondays poison onslaught.

I shall being eating toffee popcorn and turkish delight for tea, nothing green or healthy will be passing my lips.

XX
Anna_BCC

Dear All

I have notified the tech team about the 'chemo brain' that the thread is currently displaying!!

Best wishes

Anna

lolly123

you go cybele,
sounds scrummy x
lolly123

Hi Wendy,
That would be great if you can meet us, will you be up for it next week i will be in week 2 of my FEC so maybe a bit low on White Cells but still want to meet.

lolly
x
Wendy56

Lolly have replied but it has gone out of order x
Wendy56

Thanks Lolly I live near Peterborough if it was one of good weeks will probably come let me know your plans

Wendy x
Cybele

Now eating cherry frangipane tart (M&S bakery - highly recommedned) and eating banana (token healthy item) and drinking HUGE mug of tea. Yum
I DON'T CARE
lolly123

Hi Wendy
we are thinking about the Flying Horse Clophill A6 is that too far for you where about do you live maybe we can find somewhere in the middle of us all x
Cressida

Thanks for the link Anna - now can you sort out the website's chemo brain and stop it putting our posts in random order?
Wendy56

Lolly where are you thinking of meeting up just a rough idea so I know how far away

Wendy
Anna_BCC

Dear Cressida and all

Here is the link that you mentioned to information on triple negative breast cancer on BCC's website:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/about-breast-cancer/primary-breast-canc...

Hope you find it helpful, for more information you can always phone our freephone Helpline 0808 800 6000, Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm or 10am - 2pm on Saturdays.

Anna

Cybele

Murray breaks Fed in third set!!!! YAY!!!!

Am also watching the tennis instead of working, and i don't care about that either..
Cybele

It's doing it to you, too, Cress...
lolly123

Hi me again,
My hair what is left of it is soooooo sore has any one got any tips to combat this or does it get better once it is all gone?
lolly
x
Cybele

Lolly, thanks and BIG HUG xxx
Hope you'll be feeling better soon.

Yeah, my first 3 FECS have included two Great Nausea Crises, followed by Major PICC Line Crisis. Am hoping the final three will be somewhat less eventful.. Looking on the bright side, this time I have supplies of every anti-emetic drug available, so should not have to do the whole begging for help routine again, which was getting very old.

This is all just SO VILE, but as QD says, roll on April - I keep thinking of the flowers coming out, and the trees going green, and a bit of sunshine, and how we're all going to be feeling so much better then.

AND WE WILL
Cybele

WTF?

My posts are all coming out in reverse chronological order.

Pfffft...
lolly123

hi,
I am feeling much better today, thank goodness still feeling shaky though, and a little weepy but apart from that ok.
Cressida
Would love to meet and have coffee, but we will have to pick a good date due to more snow tonight, but hopefuly it will be cleared but next week, what day are you thinking, plus anyone else thats want to join us.ps yuk to coco pops, toooo sweet for me but my grandson loves them, im a porridge girl x
Read your blogg Cybele, you seem to be having a horrible time, hope nothing more can go wrong for you over the next few FEC x
Sharon,
Hope your FEC 3 is better for you than fec2 maybe you can let me konw in avance what to expect, mine is on the 12th Feb so quite away to go , i am still feeling horried but as many says on here "Do Able " just wish it was all over, good luck for you next one hope its better.
take care to all
lolly
ps sorry if ive repeted myself, and for any spelling mistakes x
x
Cressida

QD (your name is getting shorter - do you mind?) TN is Triple Negative cancer. Not positive for any hormones etc. It basically tells you what you have not got, as they don't know what feeds it, so you can't have any drugs to block anything (like herceptin etc). BCC give a much better definition on this website somewhere.
Cressida

The website has chemo brain.
Cybele

That is good to hear Wendy. xx
I am going to get so fat the pink helmet will soon look as if it is on top of a giant beach ball, and I don't give a flying f*** about that either.
And I am NOT going to eat disgusting algae pills, or do juicing. I eat plenty of cabbage (M&S sweetheart cabbage is the best cabbage inb the world) and carrots, and I don't want to drink unpleasant green goo. Vegetable juice is best consumed inside vegetables, in my opinion.
I bought an expensive juicer, and it languishes in the kitchen, as yet unused. The juices I had at the juicing session I went to were a bit of a disincentive...
Cybele

That sounds horrible, QD - hope you get it sorted soon xx
Cybele

I have 6 months' supply of disgusting algae pills. Expensive disgusting algae pills.

In my current mood I'm thinking of flogging them on eBay, and investing the proceeds in pizza..
QueenDrama

hi all

lolly - hope you are feeling better
Lisalou - who is terry nutkins?
Cress - what does tn mean?

i have an appointment to see doc this afternoon. Now my eyes are awollen and sore. could be an allergic reaction to tax (Great - got another dollop a week today) or could be allergic reaction to omeprazole. Oh roll on April !!!! x
Wendy56

Milkshake and quavers for me x x
Cybele

I'm drinking Diet Coke and eating paprika flavoured crisps. I don't care.
Cressida

Well, I am having coco pops. Life on the edge.
Wendy56

Cress have had an appointment with genetics the day after Tax 2. He is thinking more than likely will carry one of the BRCA genes as my cousin was BRCA 1 just hoping it came down from the otherside of her family. Her daughter also carried it so has had MX at 28 (very brave). Also I have had 2 X TN BC so unfortunately high risk.

They will take blood for test in 2 weeks just before next chemo so no doubt that will take ages although he is trying to rush through before my surgery ready for decision time.
Never mind we will all surface the other side of this nightmare at some point and every day is a step nearer. Hope you are having a good day today would be nice to feel human for a while I am sure you would agree !

Love and hugs Wendy x x
Cressida

Thanks Wendy, xx
Cressida

Morning all,

QueenD - what are you having that is making you swell up and itch? Is there no end to the indignity?

Lolly - sorry you feeling so crap - hope it is getting better. Shall we try again to drink coffee next week?

Hamley - How are you? Hope you feeling a bit better.

Wendy - thinking about the genetics stuff - my understanding is that it is very unlikely to be BRCA 1 & 2, and about 10% - 20% likely to be "just" one or the other. Quite a high chance of being niether. I do know what you mean tho, about the genes they have not identified. So hard to know what to do. Have you had an appointment where they talk you through it all? I keep putting it off on the basis of chemo, but I think really I can't quite handle finding out yet. I can see that it is more urgent for you to deal with it as you have surgery coming anyway. Anything more I do will (hopefully) be in my own time. How are you getting on?

Cybele - I laughed at your performing rhythmic gymnastics in the chemo ward. Many was the time that I entertained the entire chemo ward by standing wearing a frozen pink hat and waving my arms around whilst taking giant breaths in and out until my Hickman line decided to play. Never saw anyone else do it. Having your head frozen twice in one day must surely move you right up the ranks of hardness in the chemo ward. Kudos.

Today I am mostly hoping for snow melt. Being an instant old lady now I am afriad of falling over on ice outside, breaking my hip, resulting in hospitalisation, hip transplant, hospital infection and then, obviously, death. This scenario may seem like catastrophising but then I never thought I would get cancer....

xxxx
Cybele

It was a very bad day at the hospital yesterday:

'One of our PICC lines is missing… ' :

today's post on http://chemonights.blogspot.co.uk/
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi LOLLY 123 when i had my FEC 2 it was horrible i just had no energy what so ever for at least a week. Like you i couldn't be bothered to do any thing i just kept sleeping. This lasted for me around a week. I do hope your be feeling a bit normal soon. Xx I have got my FEC 3 next week i hope it's going to be better. Take care Sharon Xx
lolly123

hi everyone.
FEC 2 day2 feel really rubbish today, even had a little cry on the phone to my OH he is on his way home now i and i cant even be bothered to get him his tea, first time since i started this cr*p but he is great and is going to sort himself out, and get me something too not that if feel like eating.
As for all of us that is finding it cold on the head i have found just the thing for night wear it is called a DU RAG look them up on google,mine is a black one and is made of nylon but very light and does the job, if you have any shops in your area they seem to sell them in Carabian shops or hair dresseres that deal with affro hair.
anyway take care hope you all coping, ok if you can.
hugs lolly
x
Lisalouw

Good afternoon everyone, hope your all ok, just back home from 2nd TC , got a bag full of drugs including injections which I give myself from day 5 to boost white cells , I've now got a good tyre round my tummy so shouldn't be a problem to stick it in, the cadburys cream egg I've just polished off will help too , I've seen wig lady who showed me how to put my wig on , it looked like Lego hair when I did it , wasnt pushing it back enough , did everyone get a free one on Nhs? Wendy your choc martini sounds so nice , thought I'd write this before chemo brian and moth mouth kicks in which was very quick last time , I had cold cap again but I've shed alot of hair and it's still coming out so not sure how long I'll keep it for, it's very thin on top , I'll end up looking like terry nutkins, if you can remember who he was , and I'm wearing a hat all the time now , I need to get it cut shorter in a few wks if I've any left , love to you all xxxx