cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Chemo in December.2012

Mindy63

Re: Starting Chemo in December.

Cybele,
Thinking of you right now as you approach chemo 4. Going to think about swans and sunshine in solidarity.
By the way my aversion is to comfort fabric conditioner. I used a new fragrance when getting taxotere for the first time and I will forever more think it smells of chemo!

Cressida

Take enough lorazepam and you should have swans and a lake. You might even have a ballet.
Cybele

Hah - not sure the chemo experience is something we need to be mindful of. Swans definitely preferable.
In fact, they should provide them in the chemo ward. With a nice pond, obvs.
Cressida

And, yes, I am aware that by focusing on the swans you will not be mindful of the chemo experience. One thing at a time.
Cybele

Thanks Cress xxx

Hamley - sincerely hoping your lump will turn out to one of the 90% that are benign, and just sent to torment us. it must be so worrying BIG HUG
Maire - it's great, and very inspiring to hear you sounding so cheery! And cheering us on!

LisaLouw, Border Collies - wow, the hallucinations sound horrible, and excessive - I mean, we're already ni the middle of a nightmare...

QD sorry, haven't heard of the tea, will investigate

I've got my chemo at 2.30 - took one Lorazepam last night, and going to take another one about 1pm - hopefully, that will get me through it better than last time, when I wept all the way down the Fulham Palace Road on thew ay to the hospital. GOTTA GET A GRIP.
Cressida

Cybele - good luck with the FEC 4 today. I am trying practice a bit of mindfulness, and also spent the sunny afternoon on Tuesday seeking out images to hold onto. I have more countryside than you, and I found 6 deer in Ashridge forest who couldn't be bothered to run away from me. I think they could see that I was in no state to chase them. I am taking them with me next week into the chemo unit. Keep your mind on the swans. xxx
Wendy56

No appointment for me today. Another phone call this morning to say I couldn't see surgeon today as I had not been discussed at MDT meeting which was due to be held today. Re-booked for Friday. Very apologetic !

Not a happy bunny just want to get sorted now

x x
Guest user
Not applicable

Tomorrow afternoon is first herceptin with no chemo. Will let you know afterwards . I cant believe that it wont be easier than it was.
4 out of 18 seems like a long way to go.
QueenDrama

Hi ladies
i had a scan today and mr lumpy has put up a white flag and had shrunk by 1.5 cm! hooray! fec on friday eek!
fingers crossed Hamley when do you get the results?
Maire - your meal sounded awesome!
Lisa - ive got a dodgy tooth too. do you think chemo attacks fillings?
Cress-enjoy your weekend
does anyone know if rooibos tea is good or bad if you are oestrogen receptor positive?

QD
hamley

Cybele, good luck for tomorrow, I'm glad you had some normal time before heading bad to FEC 4.
Thanks for the support from all concerning the new lump. I spoke to my chemo nurse who has made notes for my surgeon on my appt on 6th Mar to look at the lump as well. She checked with the docs there to make sure it was OK to go ahead with FEC 4 yesterday, which we did. When I was diagnosed I had a mammo and scan (like the baby scans, I don't know what they're called) and they didn't spot anything then, but I do worry because my previous mammo and scan was only 10 months prior to that and showed clear. My tumour was 35mm and considered very agressive so I feel quite scared.
Lisa, I can't imagine the halucinations, that's awful. I've had hot flushes, but only after chemo so I don't know if it's menopause or not. I wake up in a hot sweat, pull off the covers and wake up later freezing. Like Maire, I'm 49 with no previous indications of menopause. I've had 2 periods since starting chemo and await next Saturday to see if there'll be a 3rd. I hope not, I could do without the inconvenience.
Wendy, stomp you feet for your mx, it's your body after all. Hissy fits are in order for everyone on this thread. Let us know how it went.
Maire, great about the meal, and the wine, keep it up on all for all of us!
Cybele

'A bloke in the corner called Kierkegaard, biting the heads off whippets...' :

today's post on http://chemonights.blogspot.co.uk/
Cressida

Hi ladies,

Hamley - boo to new lump - any advice about it yet? I agree that it is most likely to be a cyst or something similar whilst you are on chemo.

Wendy - did you see the surgeon?

Lisa - Chemo and steriods will both give you hot flushes. Being early 40's it is possible you will be sent into early menopause. I think this has happened to me. Its quite possible your periods will come back, but less likely when over 40. Theres no real way to be sure and no simple test. One more gift from the chemo fairy. As for Pollyanna - she is a character from a book who played the "glad game" of finding something to be glad about in every situation, regardless of the evidence. She cheered up an entire town and then lost the use of her legs and finally became miserable. Just as she was seeing sense, the local townsfolk rallied around and cheered her up again. So, for example, you can be glad that early menopause means you will not have to buy anymore ladies hygeine products.

Hi to all the new ladies, and thankyou to those of you who were outraged on my behalf that everyone has taken half term off so I am stuck with puffy painful armpit and Mx site. I am starting to think it is the return of cording. Because I lounged about in bed for 4 or 5 days and did very little excercise whilst trying to get over chemo 3, it all seems to have regressed to how it was after the op. Not sure what Pollyanna could come up with for that. Glad I didn't have both sides done at once?

I am glad that my weekend away is coming up, even though I will have to put on a brave face (and several scarves) about being uni-boobed.

x
Lisalouw

Hello, well my mood has improved slightly after eating mint chocolate and one of my sons fruit lollys , which I forgot about my bad tooth and chomped down on , ooops, hope I havnt triggered it off , I was in the worst mood ever at the dentist and my dentist was also in a vile mood so it didn't bode well, I could have easily have squeezed her hands in a vice for trying to tell me I don't need my blood count testing if I need my tooth re packing, which I know full well I do and then she moaned about me having another appointment to have a shield I'm having made to stop me grinding in 1 wk, saying no way will it be ready in time , do people not understand you do not mess with anyone on chemo as we are not responsible for our actions , anyway the reception said it would be back and rolled their eyes as to say that the dentist was on one
marie and border collie, arnt the hallucinations just awful, scared me so much and I have my son sleeping in the same room and most of time same bed , I was petrified , mine was a side effect of some antibiotics , you wouldn't think would you that an antibiotic could do such things , the one I'm on now makes me spaced out and dizzy and not able to concentrate , god knows what's in them because I've always been fine with the ones you get from the docs , marie , glad you had a good meal and that you got a few glasses of wine , I can't wait to be able to taste again and enjoy the odd glass also hot flushes not as bad last night but replaced with joint pain from the injections i give myself for my blood count
cybelle, thanks for the hug, I'm so glad you got your walk in the sunshine it was lovely wasn't it , I also sat and took in all my surroundings , it felt good to be normal again, good luck for your 4th chemo this wk , well done hair wise mine still has a covering with the cold cap but it's shedding again now so it maybe giving up the ghost now xxx
hamley, I'm so sorry about you finding another lump, I don't understand how that can be possible on chemo , when do you get to know anything , god I hope it is another cyst , it's just one blow after another for you , I bet you are drained , sending hugs and everything crossed for you , and I'll give my little lucky horseshoe a rub for you in my purse, yes I know strange ! Xxxxx
Mandy, hi , sorry you not been well, what infection have you had ive missed alot of posts and havnt caught up yet sorry, hope your feeling abit bettr x
wendy, hope you get your surgery , and yes a hissy fit is in order dont forget the flame thrower xxx
what is a Pollyanna moment , I'm lost
xxx
Border_Collies

Morning all. Lisalauw I can sympathise with your hallucinations. I had them the night of my first FEC. Couldn't sleep as usual but was lying very calm in bed, probably due to the sleeping tablets which hadn't properly worked, and started having these mad scenes going through my mind. I know I was awake cos I could hear my husband snoring (as well as one of the dogs!]. I'm cold capping and was obsessed with losing my hair and I remember seeing this document called "Technicalities of cold cap and hair loss". I remember struggling to read this document but each time it gave specific statistics the numbers were all blurry and frustratingly I couldn't read them. All sorts of other things happened like the bed swaying and the room when I when to the loo. I was totally disorintated and weird and yet I was definitely awake. F irst thing in the morning I got my laptop and tried to find this so called technical document to read it properly, but obviously didn't find it. I ran my oncologist and she said it was definitely hallucinations and told me to stop taking the stereoids. End of problem and I haven't had stereoids for the rest of the treatment.
Had FEC 5 yesterday and after being so sick for the first time on FEC 4 they've put my straight on cyclizine and no sickness whatsoever. I've also been put straight on 14 days Fluconazole for mouth thrush as I've had it each time and Nystatin helps but doesn't finish it off. All in all with these meds I feel pretty good today. Still worrying about the hair though - will it last through one more treatment. Those of you who go on to Tax seem to get hair growing back in thin places quickly. However to make matters worse I had to trim 3 Dennis Healeys from one eyebrow last night. Didn't dare pluck them cause I need all I've got. Also found a large granny hair growing lushly on my chin and still have to shave my legs. Doesn't make sense does it.
Cressida and Cybele - I hope you're both feeling better and that you Cybele are fighting fit and ready to make ware on FEC 4. Hope it goes well.

Mindy63

Hi Crackers,
Had lovely meal last night for son's 17th birthday (QD, food was lovely-lots of hummusy starters and main courses of lamb, chicken etc with nuts and sweet flavours-pomegranite, orange, nuts etc). Unfortunately it took ages to get home due to bus replacement service at train station. Still the 2 glasses of wine I'd consumed (large, of course) took the sting out of the journey and I was feeling nice and mellow until the on-bus radio urged us all to vote for this year's sexiest women-with some examples given just in case we weren't sure who was and wasn't sexy. What a wonderful advert for my 17 year old son and 14 and 10 year old daughters. I'm telling you Pollyanna wasn't looking so 'glad' at that point. Still I softened the blow with a 3rd glass of wine when I got home and then fell asleep on the couch.
Hamley-sorry to hear about your new lump. Did you have an MRI when your tumour was discovered? I really hope whatever it is turns out to be benign.
Lisalouw-The hallucinations sound horrible. Really scary. I had mild visual disturbances with Tax. Had to wear glasses for driving (I don't normally wear glasses at all but got a pair to help me with distance when driving in the dark.) Think that might've been fluid retention causing that problem. I also kept thinking i saw things moving in my peripheral vision-like wee insects. But that was very mild. As for the hut flushes-I've had some 'clammy' flushes where my skin feels kind of warm but not to the touch. It passes really quickly probably helped by the baldiness. I'm 49 and pre menopausal with no signs that the menopause was any where near before I started treatment. Not sure what to expect next. But so far the clammy flushes are ok.
Wendy-Fingers crossed for your surgery. I think you should really get the surgery you want. It should be your choice.
Marge-I've had 2 doses of Herceptin, but both with chemo, so not sure what it'll be like on its own. Mz, How has it been for you?
So far the only thing I can def link to Herceptin is the runny nose. Keep thinking I'm having a sudden nose bleed but it's just suddenly runny.
Cybele-So glad you've had a good day and will have some lovely mental images to focus on at your next chemo. I've got a postcard of Sanna Bay in Ardnamurchan to focus on at my desk. I just look at it adn dream of being there. So beautiful.
Good luck with all the chemos this week. I'm standing at the finishing line cheering you all on.

Cybele

Lisalouw - Very Big Hug xxxxx
mandyp

Hi Lisalouw
I know exactly how you feel and today is miserable in Yorkshire too. It's amazing what a little bit of sunshine can do.
Wendy - hope you are ok. What's news from your ONC?
and Cressida - how are you doing?
Welcome to all the newbies, we really are a big group now....goodness....what a club?
My infection is healing, but the steroids and antibiotics are making me feel totally sh*t! Puffy eyed and pretty wasted....need to get well before chemo number 5 next week.....
Lots of love to all and to those having chemo this week.
Mx
Lisalouw

Morning ladies , I actually felt normal yesterday but today since starting more antibiotics which make me feel so spaced out im back to feeling crappy, I've had an argue with my 3 yr old about getting clothes on and doing as he is told, fallen on deaf ears and now I'm sat in the dentist and feel like having a hissy fit in the waiting room for no reason, the goldfish are not calming me one bit , I need to get out of this mood, where does it come from , I hate all the meds today and want the sunshine back we had yest , it's soo cold again , hope everyone well xxx
Cybele

'The silence of the organs': today's post on
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Marge
I am on 3 weekly IV herceptin. I have number 4 this week. I was having it with Taxol but have just finished chemo.
Chemo and the cooling cap was taking hours so hope to be in and out in an hour this week.
I have a portacath as my veins were destroyed when I had Fec chemo last time.
A nuisance doing this till December but no alternative.
Just had the letter for my pre apt for radiation treatment. I managed that ok last time so hopefully that part will be ok this time.
good luck
Guest user
Not applicable

Cybele i had terrible toothache when i was in hosptal with the dreaded sepsis but they managed to take the tooth out once my levels were up. I got antibiotics and mouth wash and it was fine.
Natalie i have had a lot of the same side effects as you and would say day 11 is when you start to feel normal again although still tired. I'm day 13 after my first Tax and to be honest not looking forward to the next one! I thought FEC was bad but this is just as crap.
Is anyone starting Herceptin. I get my first round next week with the tax and i'm a bit nervous. I'm on the new injectable trial so thats a bonus but still dreading it. It's just one thing after another, it really amazes me how much a body can take!!!!!
QueenDrama

oh Wendy thats dire! but its your body so dont be pushed ! if you want MX hold out for MX

Lisa - sorry youre having such a bad time. I had an allergic reaction on tax 2 - but mine was to tax itself.
Maire - enjoy your Iranian meal. Ive never eaten Iranian. Is it good?

QD
Wendy56

Bloody hell . Just had a phone call from consultants secretary to say that I might not be able to see breast surgeon at 11am tomorrow as they have not yet discussed me at their MDT meeting. Had hoped I would get a date tomorrow and actually know what surgery was going to be done as really want MX. Their meeting is tomorrow but after my appointment time so lets hope they don't all think lumpectomy as I might be having a hissy fit. Grr

Wendy x
Lisalouw

Hello ladies , sorry I've not been on for ages, can't believe it's been nearly 4 wk since I last posted , there is alot of posts and new ladies so hi to all new and old and I need to catch up as I feel abit out of the loop now and don't know what's going on , TC 2 was bloody crap , I had a reaction to the antibiotics I have to take with my injections as went neutropenic on TC 1 which gave me depression and bloody hallucinations , I only saw big black bin liners in the middle of the night! So when realised it was the antibiotics I called the chemo ward up whom brought me in and told me to stop taking , and never ever will I take again , I have read up now that it can cause acute anxiety and such problems, I felt better the day after taking, horrible stuff levofloxacin , then after that I had the most painful toothache which I had to sort out a dentist appointment with getting bloods done with heavy duty pain meds , so all in all it's been a s...t month , I've now had TC 3 and feel very nervous of this time , I'm still armed with my injections from day 5 for my bloods and have more antibiotics from tomorrow to take , and im sure the menopause has kicked in, ive started with hot flushes at night , has anyone else , and as im 41 does that mean i may have to go through it all again ahhhh !!!!! Lv to everyone and sorry I can't post as often as I would like but I have a 3 yr old which leaves me little time , I am stopping with my mum and dad so they help out alot and could not have managed without them, also I only have my phone to do this on so I'm slow , in fact I feel like a big bloated sloth most the time , lv to you all, I'll try and read some posts later xxx
Wendy56

Hamley - Sure it can't be anything to worry about as you say with being on chemo and did you not have a mammogram that side at the beginning of your journey ?

These things are sent to try us !

hugs Wendy x x
QueenDrama

hi Welcome new ladies! Hello er not old - mmm....... existing ladies!
Best of luck Ham -I hope its what I had in the other side - a breast mouse. if it is more cancer then surely the chemo will deal with it.
Maire - I am soooo jealous and what to be here you are but .....NOW!
Bloods for me tomorrow and then hopefully chemo 4 on friday. fec x 1 . have had tax x 3 which was horrid (fingers and toes STILL painful) so im hoping fec will be better.
Cress - i agree with prev commenmt. A&E or a walk in centre or maybe just go to the chemo ward and plead.
I also had a polyanna moment today. My form (year 8 so ages 12-13) have all made me get well cards. They are so lovely. Also my son has got 2 university interviews! 1 on March 8th the other on March 20th. He wants to do primary teaching specialising in year 1 and 2.
QD x
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi.. I find using a pretty scarf strategically placed covers a multitude of sins and makes me feel much better
hamley

Hi,
Welcome to all the newbies, sorry you're in a position to come here, but you're very welcome.
Cress, it's terrible that no one's been there to help you. It doesn't seem right that all the people who can help should be absent at the same time. Where I work we're not allowed to be off at the same time and we're not looking after peoples health.
Maire, sorry the Pollyanna demeanor hasn't lasted, I'm sure it'll be back. Have a lovely time this evening.
I'm just off to my 4th treatment with dread that's greater than usual because I found another lump, but on the other boob. I'm hoping it's just a cyst but that's what I thought the last one was. Acutally the last one was a cyst which they aspirated, the cancer was on the other side and catching it was a coincidence. I hope BCN Sue is at the hospital today, I hope she's going to tell me that this can't be anything sinister because I'm on chemo. What do you think the chances are? I'm definately going to fight for a bilateral mx.
Didn't Pollyanna always say that when she felt down that she always tried to think of someone who was worse off? I suppose we could try it, but I think indulging in a little self pity doesn't harm too much. I might spend some time in that when I get back from the hospital.
Mindy63

Welcome Lilly-it's a long road, but that's another huge step closer to the finishing line. Can someone pamper you for a bit?
Cressida-What about A and E? Or one of these drop in hospitals? Surely someone can help you out. Is it something that needs drained? No way should you be left without support-medical and titular!
My Pollyanna demeanor has been modified by a sore throat and stinking cold but the sun is shining and it's my son's 17th birthday today so we're off out for an Iranian meal tonight so nothing's going to get me down. Have even been singing and dancing round the livingroom.
By the way Pollyanna was hit by a car and spent many hours depressed in bed and we all know how that feels!

Guest user
Not applicable

HI,
im new to all this came on last week , was geting down before my 4th chemo, i started 14th dec,
they rang to say my bloods were low friday morn n i needed another blood test, prob is they cant get any so they hooked me up to chemo to get blood, waited 2hrs for results and another 2hrs for them to make my chemo up, they lowered one of the drugs by 5mls, im on fec.
no what you mean about the sickness, it never really seems to go away, feel like iv been hit by a bus today, iim sure im one big bruise.
xx
Cressida

Morning ladies,

Mz - I see they stopped your chemo - can I ask if this was a change of plan? Just wasn't clear and wondered why they stopped it.

Mandy - Rads - I would be interested to hear about the rads trial - I think the TN thing makes them want to throw rads at it as well, just to be sure they have done everything 1st time to kill the beast, as you don't want TN back.

I am still having problems with my pufffy armpit and tightness in my Mx sight. Clearly no-one finds it a concern at the hospital as they are all on half term. Can't really wear a bra now so I have to go about amazon styleee wearing 2 scarves. Anyone got any ideas on looking like a normal human being at an engagement party when I have one boob? Or, for that matter, in the posh restaurant of the boutique hotel I booked for the following night? Where is the flame thrower? I would take it to the hospital, but there is nobody there.

x
Cybele

'Feeding Mr Collins':

Cybele

Maire, it's lovely to hear you sounding so cheerful xxx
Natm69

Thanks for the heads up so glad I will taste food again before the next dose, Cybele I was at the dentist on Thirsday for a check up as I have had bleeding gums and some swelling Dentist said she did not want to see me again till chemo over felt she could do more harm than good trying to do any work during this time.
Retail therapy sounds good although with thesize of my tummy think maternity wear may be required!! x
mandyp

HI there all and welcome newbies.....I too am shciked that you have taken the plunge to join us....(any excuse!)
I'm day 11 post Tax 1..... and yes it was truly awful. I didnt do too bad on FEC, and am told some people find one worse than the other..... (Cybele - there could be hope...that's unless you have capacity for worse than FEC!!!!!)
One SE for me in addition to your long list Natalie, was itchy sore hands - and finally. Got a little concerned when my right hand looked like a sea urchin yesterday so bobbed in (as you do) to my hodpital and was sectioned until they got my blood tested.
Fortunately my wbc was ok so came home with 7 days worth of 4000mg Flocloxocillian and instant weight gaining steroids.... so will need the next size of black leggings now!!! rats!!!
Am impressed Maire with the Pollyanna approach. I shall try in tomorrow maybe....
Lots of love all.
Mxxx
Cressida

Blimey, sfx city. I'm surprised you had the nerve to join in Natalie. Welcome to the middle of the chemo - the bit where we have all had enough, but it just goes on. In general, it seems that sfx are worse 5-7 days after chemo, then it slowly picks up. So, at day 10, you should be on your way to the light. Not sure you will turn into Pollyanna Maire though, but it's always worth trying shopping. x
Mindy63

Natalie-you're just down the road from me. I grew up in the Paisley area and my sister was treated for Breast Cancer at the RAH.
For me the Tax side effects were worst on days 4 and 5. Slow recovery thereafter with horrible mouth lasting till day 10 after which it resolved very quickly (used cosodyl sparingly-quite harsh, and salt wate rinses to keep mouth ulcers at bay). Also felt quite weepy but that I am sure is due to suppresion of happy hormones.
I put on 4lbs both times overnight. This was def fluid retention which seemd to be all round my face and neck-it was actually sore to touch! My 2nd Tax was much better than no.s 1 and 3. No 1 was the worse. I could literally not sit down. Had to pace about or lie down flat. Felt really rattled. For me it did get more managable. I noted down all my side effects each day and this helped me on my subsequent cycles because I could see when they started to resolve.
Good luck with it. I'ts nasty stuff. Make sure you let your chemo nurse know what you're experiencing because they have all sorts of solutions up their sleeves.

Mindy63

Hi Crackers,
I'm going to be sickeningly cheery today.
On my post Tax high. I am sure some happy hormone (oestregen/seratonin?) is released when blood counts start to rise after Tax. This is the third time I've experienced this euphoria. My taste buds are happy again and I have just enjoyed a lovely cup of tea-such simple joys.
The sun is shining too for the third day in a row and this has added to my mood, to such an extent that I had to head into Glasgow for a wee jaunt. Happy hormones coupled with lovely shops found me on a spending frenzy. I just wish I was rich and I would've gone absolutely mad. All sorts of odd things were calling to me. Even those ridiculously expensive room fragrancey stick things (can't work out what you do with them. Do you buy sticks and liquid? Why are they both scented? etc). There were some seriously lovely jammies in John Lewis-resisted though, jammy days are over! I left town with some lovely purchases FOR MYSELF! Unheard of since having kids really.
I'm not even going to think of what I've spent, or how one top was a bit snug and I have to start those blinkin' Tamoxifen tablets (still unopened) at some point.
Hope this isn't adding insult to injury for all of you struggling with horrible side effects. I'm just posting to let you know it is such a buzz to be leaving chemo behind (please God!) and that this day is on its way for all of you. It's amazing how one day can make such a difference when the bloods start to recover (Did have to leave town because throat was starting to hurt and at 12 days post Tax, I suppose I could still keel over from sepsis but hey ho)
Mz- Great news on your chemo-I highly recommend retail therapy to reward yourself.
Cybele-Good luck with your bloods today...and your teeth. I have experienced swollen gums on the last 2 cycles with some bleeding gums, but luckily gums have settled down after a few days. Been rinsing with salt water pretty obsessively (Corsodyl was a bit too brutal for me).
Apologies for nauseating Pollyanna gaiety!

Natm69

I was diagnosed in Nov treatment in Paisley, and have since had 2xFEC wasn't keen on with the sickness etc then due to low blood count and MRI showing little reduction in tumour I have started taxotere OMG got first treatment 10days ago have had tonsillitis for 8days diarrheoa, massive weight gain sore mouth skin rash bone pain headaches all food tastes awful and the last of my hair has fallen out, does anyone know when the bad side effects kick in? 🙂 please tell me this doesn't last the full 3wks each time?
Natalie x
Cybele

Border Collies - the idea of body fat as the third ovary is very striking - I've been thinking about it ever since I saw your post yesterday. It makes a great deal of sense, given all the stuff about how being overweight is one of the key factors in cancer recurring. My cancer is 7/8 for oestrogen sensitivity, and it seems to me that the one of best things I can do to stop it coming back will be to get my body fat percentage down as much as possible - I dread what to think it is at the moment, with the lack of exercise and the steroid fuelled appetite. i must have put on half a stone since I started chemo.

That image of body fat as the third ovary, churning out all that oestrogen, might just be enough to stop me eating..

Hamley - ouch! that sounded nasty, I'm off for my blood test this afternoon, with FEC 4 now scheduled for Thursday, if my neutrophils are back up to scratch.

In other news, I'm a bit worried I might be developing toothache - as far as I know, my teeth are fine, and they were looked at just before I started chemo, but there seems to be some twingeing going on, and I've been trying to ignore it, but I'm starting to think I'm going to have to go in and get it looked at.

Chemo and dentistry really don't mix, do they? Chemo and tooth infections even less so..Oh God.

I just can't believe anything else horrible is going to happen, but that is very silly of me, as all of us on here know that more and more horrible things just keep happening all the time, don't we?

Sorry, I logged on here just now meaning to be cheerful..
hamley

I've just been to get my bloods done for FEC 4 tomorrow. It took the nurse 4 stabs (!), a second nurse and 45 mins. My OH has chewed his lip sore waiting for me to come out. My arm is sore and bruised and I really didn't need that, but I'll be two thirds of the way there after tomorrow. I've never wished my life away so willfully. Boo hoo.

Love to all and hugs to all having treatment this week. I'm thinking of hibernating for the foreseeable future.
QueenDrama

Ditto!

QD
shellebelle

Seeing as oestrogen is stored in body fat, I'm seriously gonna need liposuction too!
Cybele

'Just champion':

H144

Hi
Cressida - many many thanks for how to deal with the itchy bum. It was good to know I'm not the only person to get this & I certainly will give your 3 steps a try - will send OH off to get the cream & I can't wait to try air drying!!
Actually managed to sleep quite well last night & I feel a totally different person today - almostr human! Most of the side effects are today manageable with the help of all the tablets & creams! Long may it continue!
QD- If oestrogen is produced from body fat I could have quite a problem there! I won't even put in print my weight! Only good thing about this really horrible taste in my mouth is it's stopping me eating quite so much - unfortunately not stopping me completely as I'm still hungry so often! Looks like I will be having tamoxifen for 5 years.
Hilary x
Guest user
Not applicable

Hello guys. Had an amazing week. The onc said enough with the chemo . Still on 3 weekly herceptin and radiation treatment to start, followed by the dreaded tomoxifen for 5 years.
Being at work has been amazing and made the weeks fly by. Exhausting but better than thinking about cancer all the time. I work for a blind and disabled charity so it also keeps me in a reality check and makes me appreciate that its tough doing this but worse for others,
Good luck to you all and thinking of you.
Border_Collies

Hi QD,
I mentioned this to my surgeon when I told her that I'd already had a total hysterectomy so no probs with ovaries and oestrogen. Her reply was that oestrogen isn't just produced in the ovaries and that a vast amount is produced from body fat. She said that in the profession body fat is known as the 3rd ovary! I was a bit p""""d at this as I only weigh 7st. 8lbs.
Border_Collies

Well Cressida - I'm on FEC, not TAX thankfully, and was feeling mentally a bit down due to the fact that I'm to be poisoned for the 5th time on Tuesday, just when I am beginning to feel a bit more human. However, your post has really cheered me up and given me cause to chuckle at the mental image of you prostrate on the bathroom floor trying your hardest to do a dead frog impersonation. The mind absolutely boggles.
I get piles occasionally and have been known to use my hairdryer ON COLD setting to achieve the same end. It's a bit difficult though as you have to use an extention lead and then force the hairdryer lead under the bathroom door. Next time I'll definitely try the dead frog method.
Seriously though you do sound as if you are really going through it at the moment with s/e's. Hope things ease off for you soon.
QueenDrama

Hi Ladies
my toughts re tamoxifen.
Q What does tamoxifen do? ?
A It removes oestrogen
Q Which bit of the body makes oestrogen?
A The ovaries?

So why not just remove them and obviate the need for tamoxifen?

Cybele's chemo sheet was very helpful. I emailed the address she gives on her blog. (Many thanks(

QD
Mindy63

Cressida-You are truly a star.
(Add me to the itchy bum list)