1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Chemo in December.2012

hamley

Re: Starting Chemo in December.

Well the rads weren't too bad at all. Nothing in fact. I got to the hospital 15 mins early and was told they were running about an hour late. The receptionist suggested going to get a coffee which we did, then came back and waited until 1 hour 10 mins after my appointment. I went back to reception and asked how long they thought it'd be and she said 'oh I'll phone through and let them know you've arrived'. I was then put at the bottom of the list to have treatment because the first receptionist hadn't booked me in. I wasn't in a great frame of mind as I went in so the rads went pretty much unnoticed compared to the appointment being nearly 2.5 hours late!

Lisalou, I think it's the Tam causing the hot flushes, they seem to be getting worse. My lump feels hard but isn't near the scar, it's a couple of ribs above that. My chest is very boney on the mx side, I guess that's par for the course.

Lolly, congrats on finishing rads, well done.

Shellebelle, try to focus about the good things, having finished rads with not too much damage etc.. I know it's easy for me to say that, somewhat harder to deal with. You have every right to feel paranoid etc. at the moment.

Cybele, your nurse wasn't very helpful or sympathetic. She sounds quite rude actually. Good luck with your last rads appt tomorrow and don't leave it too long until starting Tam. It's not so bad so far apart from the hot flushes for me, I've been taking it for a month now.

Mandy, I'll bet going back to work is daunting for you, I'm rather dreading it now although I won't go back until after my 2nd mx. I'll have been off for 11 months by then and can't remember how to do my job! Good luck with the onc on Thursday.

QD, congrats on clear margins and drained 3rd boob. Will Tam get rid of the stray cancer cells?
QueenDrama

Hi all

well done to everyone finishing rads!
Lisalouw and Maire - hope the lumps and bumps are less and you cold gets better L
Border Collies - fingers crossed for your daughter
Hamley - how did your first rads go?
Shellebelle - thinking of you with your next scans
MandyP - good luck with race for life.

I got my results today. My margins are clear and there will be no more surgery or chemotherapy. Thank you God. However when my tissues were analysed there were live cancer cells amognst the dead so I get the joys of tamoxifen starting from tomorrow!!!!!! and then rads in about a month afterI have healed. The nurse drained my third boob (80mls!!!) and I'm on antibiotics becasue she thinks there's a cellulitis type infection starting! Oh the joys!!!

QD
mandyp

Hi all.
Been a bit quiet of late. Felt rubbish after rads and only just starting to feel a little bit like the old me. Sadly I really look nothing like the old meGain not up to speed with everyone but send lots of love and hugs and needless to say we've nearly done it. Being triple negative I have no more treatment. Just my recon. I'm seeing onc on Thursday and finally have all my questions written down and believe me there are loads. Then I'm due to see surgeon in August to book recon hopefully before Christmas. I'm also still waiting for apt at Leeds re gene testing. I think that will be in July sometime. And then I suppose I ought to start thinking about going back ok work....
Im on a mindfulness course too but actually finding it ok. although I am finding it quite upsetting at times and can't seem to gethird if this feeling of impending doom. I continually ask myself why I can't be more positive!
Anyway I hope everyone is beating up and slicking cancer into touch! Oh and am doing race for life on the 7th July. we have a team of about 20 so far!
love to all xxxx
Cybele

Had penultimate dose of rads today - finish tomorrow. Pretty sore underneath my breast, and very, very tired.

Saw the oncologist as well this morning and came home with my first packet of Tamoxifen 😞

I so don't want to take it, and I so have to... The oncologist said the soreness under my breast may get worse after the rads is finished, but will start healing after 2 or 3 weeks. He didn't recommend any cream or anything - he said it wouldn't make any difference, and just to keep using the aloe vera and be patient. I also saw a nurse on Friday as it was very sore, and she more or less told me to b*gger off - 'There is no magic cream' - I think the burning has to be a lot worse than I have it before they take any interest -at my hospital, anyway.

Lolly , congrats on end of rads, I will be joining you tomorrow! I have to see oncologist in 3 months time, to review healing after the rads, and progress with the Tamoxifen. Then I will see the surgeon in November, before which I will apparently be given a mammogram...

Hamley, good luck with your rads. Hugs to all.

Am going to leave the Tamoxifen for a few days after the end of rads - give my body a little rest before bombarding it with more chemicals...
shellebelle

Ladies, I'm starting to think I've turned into a paranoid, neurotic hypercondriac.
Have appointments through next Mon (17th) for head CT scan and Wed 26th to see Cardiovascular Surgeon about the splenic artery aneurism that was discovered during chest CT scan. Am trying not to worry about that either appt. and wish I could just chill out and relax, but seems my brain works in overdrive whether I like it or not (and it's definitely a NOT).
I'm hoping all my symptoms are side effects of anxiety which have plagued me since the allergic reaction I had to Docetaxel and have got worse post chemo and will, in time, subside. Having said that, I've just restarted my Tamoxifen and not sure that will help me feel much better in the short term Seeing my GP on Wednesday so will ask for her advice, although the thought of more pills, if that's what's on offer, is just.....urgh!
On a different note, hair is thickening up and growing, eyebrows are fast returning, eyelashes sprouting too. Leg, underarm and lady garden all making rapid reappearance.
4 days post radiotherapy and skin is pretty good, just slightly pink but feels a bit sore/tight internally so carrying on with exercises same as after MX.
Hugs to everyone undergoing rads, post chemo surgery, those troubled by lumps/bumps that appear in the night, hot flushes, dizziness, nausea (have those too), third boobs or any other problems.
For everyone else who is cracking on with life - a massive thumbs up from me xx
lolly123

hi
I have just got back from having my LAST rad no more to do, no more hosptials or appointments to go to untill i get called back to see ONC, which i dont know when that will be!!.
Lisalouw, i found a lump when i was in hospital one time, and was sent for a scan straight away, it turned out to be a cyst, they told me it would be very unlikly to be a cancer lump due to the fact i was having Chemo, but i was in such a state they got it checked out for me, so i know how you are feeling, i wont say dont worry, because untill they tell you what it is we will allways think the worst, i hope they sort it out for you quick.
Lisalouw

Now got cold meant to say , duh !
Lisalouw

Thanks hamley , and thank you all for your reassurance , it really helps me as Marie says you are the only ones who really know what it feels like , just can't believe I felt it day after I saw my surgeon whom said the cavity shave results come back clear , Sod's law !
Hamley , is your lump on your rib near your mx op , could it be scar tissue ? My hot flushes have calmed down now , just having a couple in day and same in bed , my support stockings don't help though which I don't wear when I'm going out and being mobile , my op was only a quick half hr one though , I'm also not on tamoxifen , are you , does that cause hot flushes ? Good luck tom on rads x
marie , how's the ribs and back ? Have you seen the doc?
Border collies, I think your right about your daughter , 6 wk appt is good , they must think it's a cyst , otherwise they would have her back in 1 wk , thanks for hair advice , it's nearly 8 wk post chemo and my hair has just stopped falling out , are you still using the same shampoo and cond you used while cold capping I'm reluctant to change , I used simple through out , have a brilliant holiday and hope the sun keeps shining for you x
QD, good luck on results today x
ive not got cold ! Unless it's hayfever , at least I've not got to worry about phoning chemo unit up and checking temp all the time
hamley

Lisalou, I found a couple of lumps mid chemo and went into mega panic mode. I had them checked out and the 2 lumps I'd found turned out to be 5 cysts. I had an mx on the side where I had 2 cysts and my other side with 3 cysts will be taken care of in my mx on 24th July. They didn't bother to aspirate them because of the mx ops. I know how worrying it is, but it's most usually nothing. I also know that doesn't mean you necessarily get a good night's sleep.

Maire, I'm having back and rib pain, the pain in my back is on the same rib and it makes sleeping on my side very difficult. I've also got a lump on one of my ribs that I can feel since my mx. My GP is asking for an appointment with my breast clinic to get an xray.
BC, I have my fingers crossed for your daughter, I hope it doesn't spoil her holiday.

My rads are due to start tomorrow. I'm looking forward to getting started so I can get finished.

For those having night sweats/hot flushes, how many do you get each night or does it vary? I'm getting 5 or 6 in the day which is easy to cope with but then up to about 10 at night (these are far hotter and sweatier!) and it's a real pain waking up all the time.
Border_Collies

Lisalouw - Maire has given good advice and I'm sure all will be well. I think everyone of us is going to go into panic mode at the least sign of a lump wherever it is and every ache and pain is going to make us worry about secondaries. Once you've diced with this disease the worry will always be there. I would be worrying just like you are and that is why this forum is such a comfort. Only people like us understand how your mind is working.
I too cold capped and kept thinning hair but by six weeks post chemo all my new hair was coming through fast. I used Naturtint at 8 weeks post chemo and I chose that time because my hair had finally stopped shedding and had basically stabilised. Good luck with your hair colouring.
Thanks to all who aasked after my daughter. She came through the op well and is at present enjoying herself with us all in Wales on holiday. Weather has been glorious so far. She has a post op check up in six weeks and will give her the results then so they must be fairly certain that it was just a cyst.
B
QueenDrama

Lisalouw - hope all will be well. I think Mairie's advice is sound. Live for today and for the moment. My 3rd boob is still there! Will talk to bcn tomorrow when I go for results.

Lovely to meet up with Cress today. Nice to put a face to the posts (if you see what i mean!)

QD x
Lisalouw

Thanks marie , I've been into town with my mum and son shopping and I've a lunch planned tomorrow so trying to keep my mind off it , I'll phone breast unit in morning , i just can't sleep at moment and I'm trying to pretend I'm fine to everyone as I've only told my mum x
Mindy63

I mean lumps...not chimneys!

Mindy63

Lisalou-try not to panic. I too have had new lums which turned out to be nothing. Now I'm worrying about rib and back pain! I think this worry is going to hang around for quite a while. Best to get things checked out but in the meantime try to focus on the positives. If there's one thing I've learned through all of this it's that life is short, better to enjoy it and go with the flow than waste time frwetting about things out of our control.....now if only I could live by this creed myself!

Lisalouw

Well just as I sort of began to relax I've found something abit lumpy in my bad breast , it's near the scar from my 1st op where I had my breast reduction , so I'm in abit of a state of panic , I remember one of us getting lumps throughout chemo but I can't remember which one , I've tried to scroll back but too many posts to look through , I think I may need some sort of counceling as feel like my head can't take anymore , or am I just being paranoid , ill phone my bc up mon and ask
QD , good luck on results , how did you getting on with 3rd boob and how's the head, you having a rough time at moment , hope things start picking up x
cressida, found your mindfulness /meditation description very relaxing to read , maybe you need to keep posting things like that to chill us all out , how's the cold turkey , I'm still on co codamol as still sore from my op x
border collies , thanks for info I've found the mousse on amazon , I'll order some and give it a try , how long did you wait until you put a dye on your hair , I'm 7 wks post chemo , I used cold cap but hair very very thin with bald patches on crown and temple areas , I'm desperate to get rid of the grey though , I'm wondering if colour fresh or herbatint might be better first , how's your daughter and when does she get her results x
Shellebelle, how's the dizzy spells , you having a rough time too hope you feeling abit better x
hamley , re lady garden and leg hair , brown!!! head hair, grey and wirey !!!! Typical x
QueenDrama

Bordere Collies - thanks for info. when does your daughters results come through?

Yes I have a lovly lump - just on the temple! such a twit!!

QD x
Border_Collies

Lisalouw - Greaat news re: the cavity shave. Pleased for you. The colour mousse I used was Indola and another one called Goldwell. My hairdresser gave me the Indola one but I sent for the Goldwell because they did a Light Ash Blonde and Indola didn't. Have to be careful with pale hair but if you are brown to dark they should work really well. Good luck.
Daughter came through her op ok now just have to wait to make sure it was just a cyst!
How's the head QD - not another "lump" I hope!!!!!!!
B
Border_Collies

Lisalouw - Greaat news re: the cavity shave. Pleased for you. The colour mousse I used was Indola and another one called Goldwell. My hairdresser gave me the Indola one but I sent for the Goldwell because they did a Light Ash Blonde and Indola didn't. Have to be careful with pale hair but if you are brown to dark they should work really well. Good luck.
Daughter came through her op ok now just have to wait to make sure it was just a cyst!
How's the head QD - not another "lump" I hope!!!!!!!
B
QueenDrama

Lisalouw - yay!!!
Shellbelle - yay!!!
Hamleys tooth - yay!
Mairie's purple head - yay!

i was so fed up yesterday. i sobbed for a while so OH took me to the pub. we walked into the car park -im texting and walk straight into a huge pole!!!!! the next thing i know is that im sitting at a table with a tea towel full of ice cubes on my head! !!!

QDx
hamley

Lisalou, I think you can still blame chemo brain for spelling mistakes, bad grammer and missing words at this point! Great news on the cavity shave.

SP, good luck with the WLE on the 18th.

Lolly and Cybele, you're nearly there, keep it up.

QD, my rads were postponed due to the machine breaking down. They phoned this morning to change my appointment on Monday to 1pm instead of 1.10pm, so I think they're doing some juggling. You're washing sounds like my washing, though no nappies.

BC, congrats on NED and have a great, well deserved holiday.

I went to the dentist yesterday to get the tooth fixed that crumbled under chemo. What a relief and it wasn't too bad even for me as the world's biggest wuss.
Lisalouw

Good idea !!! Duh, brain and fingertips not working , still not read all posts yet , I'm trying xxx
Lisalouw

Border collies , what brand is the colour mousse ? That sounds like a really idea xxx
Cressida

Lovely to hear some good news Lisalouw. And, thanks for reminding me of your purple head Maire.
Mindy63

Jenny-I had no side effects from radiotherapy so can't really give you any advice other than to speak to the nurses when you get your next blast to make sure all is ok.
Good luck.

Oh and to those that asked..yes...still purple!

Lisalouw

Hello ladies , just a little note to say I got my results today of my cavity shave and it showed no cancer cells , I had an unclear margin on my WLE , so really good news , I'm abit shell shocked at mo , feel like I'm not used to good news or that something else will happen , ahhhh ! Cancer doesn't half mess with your head doesn't it , I need to read back on posts to catch up , I've just got back in from hosp , rads next, waiting on an appointment , I'll have 3 wks then a boost wk , didnt want the trial where they do the boost at same time as onc said could have more skin side affects and scarring , will catch up as soon as my son is with his nanan and grandad , love to everyone xxx
shellebelle

Well that's another hurdle over with. Final RT session done and dusted. Hope anxiety levels now drop and I start to feel more energetic soon. Still waiting for appt. to see cardiovascular consultant and have head CT, so the hospital trips/tests haven't ended yet, but hopefully going in right direction.
SP0

A week into feeling better and now I've commited to the WLE - booked for 18 Jun. Keep going, those of you on rads, glad I'm not doing that too.
Thanks Cress for mindfulness tip, hope you're getting over withdrawal. Good luck QD with next scan.
Sarah
Cressida

Going cold turkey on highly addictive pain meds was probably stupid rather than brave, but that's a fine line. Most of the symptoms have calmed down now, except I have a continuous dull achy pain in my stomach. At 4am this morning it occured to me that this might not be withdrawal, it might be something sinister that has been there all along but the pain killers hid it. That thought really helped me sleep. I love cancer paranoia.

QD - It's the Younger Women's breast cancer face book group. We will be in Birmingham this weekend. I wasn't sure I was going to go due to my extreme tiredness, but I intend to try. I will send you a message.
lolly123

hi
well just a quick one to let you know i am still here , only 3 more Rads to go i finish on Mondday, then not sure what happens after that as no appointments made for any follow ups yet, but really looking forward to no more hospital appoinments every day, SE from Rads i have none except triedness,
I am taking Tamixofen since the 14th may, and the SE effercts i have so far are dizzness, hot flushes and both my hands go numb from the wrist down this morning it was quite painfull so going to make doctors appointment today see if there is anything else they can put me on as i dont want numb hands for the 2 years i will be on it.
sorry not had a time to read all the posts as there was 27 to catch up on, must try harder and keep up.
hope you are all feeling better
Lolly
x
QueenDrama

Hi all
Maire - what colour are you now? I used real nappies when my kids were babies and one day i left a red sock in the machine and ended up with a whole load of pink nappies.A bit later i did the same with a blue one! The way i looked at it was that picasso had "pink and blue periods" - and so did my nappies!!! So your pillowcases are "having a puple period"!!!
Cressida - the third boob under the armpit is solid! It certainly isnt sloshy. My doc says Ive got to give it 6 weeks! To be honest because thats the side with no lymph nodes I dont want any needles or aspitrating done. I will ask my bcn for advice on Monday - when I get my histology report. Eek! I am soo nervous. My second DVT scan is on Tuesday. Oh what joy! How you feeling now re cold turkey meds? I think you're very brave to do it and I applaud you! What is the YWBCN thing in Birmingham? Where and when? Cos I live in Brum and we could meet up?
Hanley - boo to cancelled rads! Any reason given?
Jenny - hope you feel better soon
Border Collies- thanks for the tip re hair mousse. Well done for being NED!!!
Cybele - my kitchen is at your disposal!!!

Lots of love QD
Border_Collies

Good evening ladies
QD - sorry to hear of the possible dvt, hope it gets sorted quickly. Glad to hear abut the eyelashes, hair etc. When I went to my hairdresser on Monday for my first trim (yes I said trim whoopeedoo!) she gave me some coloured mousse to touch up my roots when the grey breaks through the blonde. You just put it on wet hair and it completely covers grey. Washes out but hairdresser said the colour does eventually build up. You can even buy a light and dark colour and mix them to obtain what you are looking for. When I looked on Amazon they are sold on there. Really good for our sort of hair problems where we can't be harsh and if you lost your hair and have some regrowth I would think they'd be brilliant. Just thought I'd share.

Cybele - glad you are feeling stronger. I'm now 12 weeks post chemo and the more I do the stronger I feel now but it took a while. Your dinner sounds yummy.

Maire - are you still purple?

Hamley - boo to the cancelled rads but yay to having black eyelashes though not so sure about black leg hairs. Perhaps you could use the mousse on your hair for temporary colour.

Got officially signed off as NED by my lovely lady surgeon today. Annual Mamograms to be had at the same time as an appointment with her. The good thing is she said if I'm worried about anything at all to just ring her secretary and she'll see me. She said not to go back to my GP for any new lumps (God forbid!) or any worries. Even if I have just a small thing like arm ache she says I can ring her. This is very comforting to know. She told me I've shouldn't worry about a thing and get out and enjoy a normal life. That bit might be easier said than done but I'll certainly try. Off on holiday on Saturday with our son and daughter their OH's and six Border Collies. Have a cottage in Pembrokeshire right on a private beach. It's so peaceful and beautiful and just what I need at the moment and the dogs love it. Just hope this lovely weather holds and that my poor daughter who is having her breast lump removed tomorrow feels well enough to enough it. Sure she will, we're a tough lot. Won't really rest until I know that her lump is just a cyst though.

When I started this journey on 30th October 2012 this day seemed a lifetime away. But I've got through it with the help of all you wonderful ladies on this and the October thread. I have found it so supportive, interesting and informative. Some posts have brought tears to my eyes but mostly they make me smile and laugh. We are all nearly there any only someone going through all this c""p can possibly know how another sufferer feels.

B
jenny5931

Hi
can anyone help am on day 2 of rads and i have swelling on the treated side already it feels numbish and i didnt expect side effects yet.
jenny x
Cybele

Am reviving a bit.

I think the problem was that i came back from Turkey feeling strong and energetic again, and assumed that I was now better and it was going to last.... then I crashed, and became very down again.

When will I learn that the up and down-ness post cancer and treatment is unlikely to stop for a while?

Anyway, been getting a grip today and did quite a lot. Am cooking sea bass on a bed of roast vegetables and Puy lentils for dinner - how healthy is that?

Had rads dose 11 today - only 4 more to go. a little bit sore now under my boob in the crease between boob and chest, but am whacking the aloe vera on like nobody's business and it doesn't seem to be getting any worse. Also spending a lot of time at home topless to let the air get to it, which definitely helps. Last dose will be next Tuesday and then I will be free of the hospital at last. Am not even thinking about the Tamoxifen yet, but I gather my oncologist will be around on Monday when I go in, so I expect she will be thrusting the prescription into my very un-eager hands..

love to you all xxx
hamley

Cress, that's very brave going cold turkey. I like your alternative to mindfulness/meditation.

Maire, you made me laugh with the purple head (sorry). It would have matched my sunburnt head nicely.

QD, Good luck with your results on Monday. You seem to really be getting the rough end of the stick at the moment. Hang on in there.

SP, the mindfulness course doesn't sound great, but I'm glad to read the counselling is helping you feel better.

MZ, Tam for 10 years? I hope not. How did they come to that conclusion? I turn off like a light at about 9.30pm on the sofa since starting Tam but also sleep like a baby when I go to bed apart from the cold flushes and hot sweats waking me up.

Shellebelle, are you finished with rads yet? Let us know how your skin holds up.

BC, it's great to read that you're getting back to normal.

Coyotegi, whereabouts are you in Herts? If you're near to Watford, perhaps we could meet up when I visit my Mum there.

Cybele, it was great to see you back on the thread, but when you're tired don't worry about making the effort. Sometimes it's good just to see what other people are writing and know we're still out here.

I have face fluff too. It was quite a shock when I noticed it and not a pleasant one. I usually have medium/light brown hair (my Sister says 'horse dropping brown!) but now what's not grey is near to black. Great for my eyelashes, they are begining to look good, but my legs!?! Urgh!

My first rads appointment was for today, but they cancelled it yesterday and I will start next Monday. Poo, double poo. I just want to get it all finished.

Hugs to all.
Cressida

QD - seroma is usually soft to touch and moves about with gravity (eg when you bend over, lie down etc). Sometimes, if it is very full of liquid, it will actually slosh about. It can be painful because of the wieght and pressure. Firmer swelling can be inflammed tissue or lymphodeama. Either way you are going to need to get it looked at. Where is your suspect dvt? One bl**dy thing after another.

Sarah - I use an adapted from of mindfulness/meditation. It's very simple. Go to anywhere you find beautiful and quiet. Sit down and really notice everything. Describe it your head in detail as if doing a descriptive piece of writing. What do you see/hear? Start with the obvious and move onto the detail and peripheral stuff. So, for example I sat amongst the bluebells and set about describing a bluebell - how tall? how many stems/petals? colours? how does it bend/move in the breeze? Then, what else is growing with them? What is on the forest floor? Insects? Birds? Sunlight? Sounds, nearby and far away? I find it calming and it brings me into the present completly. Give it a go and adapt it to suit you. It won't cure cancer, but it helps me.

Maire - glad the sun is shining in Scotland. Colour will wash out of pillows/towels no problem. Mine have been all shades.

I am suffering today because I decided to go cold turkey on my pain meds. Am so sick and tired of doctors and meds and of being sick and tired. Feel a bit flu-ee. Shakey and agitated. Probably not the way to do it, but any other way would involve seeing a doc and doing it their way, which still might not be the best way. They would all have a different plan. Lets hope it only takes a few days to recover. Intending to go to the YWBCN meet up in Birmingham this weekend. Anyone in Birmingham want Sunday lunch?

xxx
Mindy63

Cressida-It's fine to laugh, that's what I've been doing. My head is purple and now my pillow is too. Think I've sweated some of it off.
It's not put me off though. Once I've de-purpled I'll be having another go at a more subtle shade.
Mz- I saw that new info on Tamoxifen but if I can do my 5 years that will be enough for me.
QD-hope things go ok at hospital-no more scans surely???
Hope everyone else is well, if I start to scroll back I'll have to start again.
Lovely sunshine up here today!

QueenDrama

Hi all
hope you are all ok.

Wendy - thanks for the tip. I'm going to hospital on Monday for the results of my op so if its still huge ill ask bcn then.

well today - just when youve booked the accountant to do the tax return you end up .........at hospital with a suspected dvt!!!! one scan later which proved inconclusive so its got to be repeated next week! oh great.what next God?
QD X
Wendy56

Qd sounds like a seroma not had one myself but would get I checked out by Bcn.

Wendy x x
QueenDrama

good on yer SP!

QD x
SP0

Hi Cress, facial hair is short black hairs rather than fluff. I assumed down to hormone changes but be nice if it discontinues growth once my body's got used to the new normal.
I'm ditching the Mindfulness course, maybe either the wrong time or the wrong group for me, but it makes me feel worse. I'm progressing with counselling instead and recently feeling quite a bit better.
SP.x
QueenDrama

morning all

hope you are all surviving.

question to anyone who has had an axillary node clearance. I have a swelling in my armpit that looks like a 3rd boob!!!! is this normal?
Oh and to whoever asked about eyelashes - having had just one eyelash on my left eye for months i actually wore mascara yesterday!!! I have a full set of very short eyelashes but they are growing. My hair is er black, grey, white and I used to be blonde!!!! My lady garden is light brown and im soon going to have to shave my legs!
QD x
Cressida

Morning ladies,

Maire - purple head, oh dear, how is it now? I presume it was not a permanent colour and you can wash it out/off if you keep rinsing? Is it wrong to laugh?

Jenny - good luck with rads tommorow. Main side effects are tiredness and burnt skin. Use the cream you are told to use and really slap it on. After you finish you will still cook for weeks. If you get an itchy rash then anti-histamines will help. If the skin burns really badly or splits you will need a different cream. Make sure you get the rads helpline number and ring it to find out what you need. GP's often have no clue, so find out what you need and just ask for it to be prescribed. Keep out of the sun. Eye lashes and brows will surprise you one day by just popping up.

Shellebelle - when's that CT?

BC and Sarah - the psychotherapist is from MacMillan and I was supposed to have 6 - 8 sessions. That was in June last year. She just keeps giving me more appointments. So I must be very mad. I do find it helpful; I can only get through my day by denying how awful everything is and I can only do that if I have a space reserved where I don't have to pretend I am OK. My BCN referred me. Sarah - how is the mindfulness going?

Sarah - the face hair thing - is it fluff? After chemo lots of girls report growing facial fuzz/fluff. I did. It surprises you one day when you see yourself in the mirror with some sunshine. It does gradually go away.

Cybele - hope you OK. Well, obvs not "OK", but you know what I mean. Feel free to skulk about and lurk, we are all thinking of you. I think it is really important to allow ourselves a "rest". You haven't even finished, so your rest entitlement is still in the bank. xxx

xxxx
SP0

ps, Also very impressed to hear of existance of cancer psychotherapist from Cresida. There's no NHS psych support in Hampshire. After a long search I've finally found counselling support from BACP qualified volunteers via a local cancer charity. Even Macmillan struggle in my area. Amazing how much money gets thrown at drugs and surgery without any help for wellbeing.... S
Guest user
Not applicable

New research, tamoxifen for 10 years now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SP0

Hello all,

Just reporting a breakthrough in hot flushes / cold sweats - they've been much less severe since my 3rd accupunture treatment last Weds. No idea if this if coincidence, but will keep you posted.

Thanks for all encouragement re WLE. Hugs to all going through radiotherapy. Glad I'm not at the moment and it doesn't sound a picnic from what I've heard.

Sympathies re all lady garden issues - I'm a bit pre-occupied by strange new facial hair growth at the moment!

Marie - I'm on herceptin "for ever or until you stop responding" in the words of the pros, given my secondaries.

Sarah.x
shellebelle

Hi everyone.
I'm still having problems with dizzy spells and extreme fatigue - they come and go and I get no warning beforehand. They are accompanied by a rapid draining sensation through my body, as if I may faint or something, which is horrible. All blood tests have come back fine and I'm off Tamoxifen at the moment for another week so perhaps not that causing the problems. My Oncologist has prescribed antibiotics as my temp. was slightly up on Friday so could be an ear/chest infection as I had pain in my throat when I breathed in, also in neck and collar bone area. She is arranging a head CT scan just to be on the safe side, although she did plenty of balance/strength tests and didn't think there was anything to be concerned about, just covering all bases I suppose.
It's been a beautiful sunny weekend here in Wakefield, W. Yorks but I've not been out to enjoy it because of these stupid dizzy episodes - the heat and brightness from the sun doesn't help
Anyway - 4 more rads to go and I'm done. Skin has held up well, just a slight pinkness but not sore or anything. Will keep on with the Aloe Vera Gel for a couple more weeks after too.
Keeping fingers crossed that I suddenly pick up and feel good as I'm due to go back to work 1st July
Best Wishes to All
Michelle xxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Is it just being worn out with this whole process or is anyone finding the tamoxifen or may be the herceptin is making them tired? Take it at night, have normally a good nights sleep, but by 9.30 pm I am asleep on the sofa.
Border_Collies

Morweena - sorry to hear you'ver been feeling under the weather. I too went through the upset tummy stage and in retrospect I think it was all down to emotional stress. By the time I got to my last chemo and right through rads I totally lost confidence in myself and in doing things that I've been doing all my life. I was only really comfortable with myself when I was at home. Emotional melt downs happened over the silliest things and I began to think that I was losing it completely. I didn't even have the confidence to drive when in life before BC I would drive happily from one end of the country to the other.

Had 15 rads which were very easy and it was only when I was about 8 weeks post chemo that my confidence gradually started to return. Each thing I accomplished on my own was a major step forward for me and now about 12 weeks post chemo I feel as if I'm nearly back to normal.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that treatment for this awful disease takes away our identity, we don't even look like ourselves while we're having it and our confidence goes too leaving stress and anxiety. However I'm proof that it does get better but for me it only happened once I started to look like the person I used to be, i.e. hair thin patches filling in, eyelashes and brows growing, red eyes diminishing and energy returning. Now I'm good and I know you will be too. Take care, you're almost there.
B
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone, so much for the sunny day we were ment to have. hertfordshire has been cold and grey all day. Marie - made me laugh...i have been depsperate to dye my 1cm of white hair, but my sister did point out that i was likely to dye my head insted. almost surprised she mentioned it before i did it! sisters eh! Mind some of the hair is black. i have never been black!
to anyone still feeling down, it does get better and you do get fitter. I am just back from a few days visiting my son near Chester, and surprised myself by how much i was able to do, walking horseriding , staying up late! Even 2 weeks earlier i dont think i would have done so much, but it just creeps up on you.
Morwenna

Good morning from me, and good afternoon to you probably!

Yes I have 3 more weeks of Paclitaxel then I'm finished, but this is the tough part. I think I am physically and emotionally drained. I seem to have a permanent upset tummy, the last couple of weeks, although the plus side is I actually managed to lose some weight! 🙂

I'm full of anxiety and lost confidence in my stupid body, and don't feel like I am nearly out of the woods yet. I still had rads to go, starting in July.

Seeing the post about beetroot scalp, maybe I will delay colouring my sparce white locks!!!

Jenny, sorry you didn't get a response in January Jems re rads. I expect that's because you are ahead of us there!!