Tumour changes during chemo

Hi all, I have had 1 FEC so far and FEC 2 is due next Thursday. Initially after the first treatment I definitely felt my lump shrink however the last few days it feels like it’s growing again which is gutting. Has anyone else experienced this at all? Xx

Hi Gooders Gold - don’t worry about lump changes.  I was exactly the same as you back in May when my treatment began.  I was even told during the ultrasound between change of chemo - that although initial lump had shrunk a little there was another suspicious area.  Than begun the onslaught of the second lot of chemo with targetted therapy - at this stage I really couldn’t feel the lump at all.  However, at the end of chemo and before surgery I went for an ultrasound which proved although the lump had shrunk significantly it was still evident.  Finally, yesterday after having my surgery last week (mx and anc) - I received the fantastic news from the surgeon follow up appointment that the pathology report showed clear - ie I am cancer free! - so don’t beat yourself up - just keep on with the chemo and smile!  Good luck for the rest of your “journey” x

Ah, bless you Goodersgold, like Jay said, try not to get too hung up on the size of the tumour. Just wait for your next appointment and discuss any concerns with your Oncologist and if they are concerned they will send you for a scan.  Usually your concerns are most likely anxiety. I’ve had 7/8 chemo treatments now and after 3 FECs I felt like it had shrunk very slightly and felt slightly softer, however, I don’t feel like it has changed that much now. I had a scan after chemo no.5 which showed no visible sign of cancer so the way you feel and what’s happening to the lump can be quite different.  Just have faith and make notes about your concerns to take with you to your next appointment. Best wishes to you. Stay strong, you can do this. Xx

Thanks both for your kind messages. I think I’m worrying more because I am triple negative so don’t have any other options after chemo, surgery and radio. Thats amazing news Jay68 that you have been given the all clear! I hope you’ve planned something wonderful to celebrate it! That’s brilliant that your cancer looks like it’s all clear too Mai7! You’ve definitely given me something positive to focus on, thanks again! Xx

I had my first chemo treatment earlier this week. My initial tumor size was a small. Three day after chemo it feels as thou it has doubled in size, it is extremely hard and throbbing unbelievably. I feel like it’s going to explode out of my chest.Is this normal after first came out?

I meant after first chemo treatment.

Hi there

I also noticed an immediate reaction to the first treatmenet however I felt it tailed off before the next cycle. I also felt my tumor reacted well to all the subsequent FEC treatments.

Towards the end of my chemo regime I felt pain/inflamtion around the tumor similar to prior to the chemo, I felt like my tumor was not responding so well to the latter half of the chemo regime but I beleive it is normal to find one kind of chemo more effective than the other varient.

How did you feel the rest of your cycles went?