short term fasting and reducing chemotherapy side effects - any experience of this?

Hi all,

I know there are some small studies done on fasting and reducing chemotherapy side effects but was wondering if anyone had any experience of this or oncologists ever mention this? The research is still early on this issue but there was a study published in 2018 specifically on breast cancer chemo with fasting which had promising results.

Hi there,

Ive watched some of Valter Longo’s interviews and presentations  on fasting.Interesting stuff.

I haven’t tried a full fast because I know from bitter experience how temperamental my blood glucose can be so a full fast for 48-72 hrs prior to treatment is out of the question for me .

That said I’ve tried to take the principal and use it in a way that works for me.I’ve had 2 sessions of chemo and for the two days before each session I reduced my calorie  intake significantly , around 500 calories per day. Also tried to make sure that I didn’t eat after 7pm the latest. If I was thirsty, it was water , black or herbal tea.

The morning of chemo , just a cup of tea with a little milk and that would be it .

Given the way cancer feeds itself, fasting and following the ketogenic diet are among a number of methods that make sense. As with all things, what works is a very individual thing and obviously there are pre-existing medical conditions to also consider.

I was following a ketogenic diet rigorously before my first chemo session. However, since  the first session, I haven’t simply because the nausea I experience means that the last thing I feel like eating are loads of fats. My appetite for about 10 days after chemo is much reduced. Again , an individual thing. Some of the women in my group( February) are the total opposite and feel ravenous since starting chemo. 

I guess the bottom line is, you need to do your homework, get expert support if you can and go from there. However, be warned the majority experience seems to be that most oncologists aren’t great / open to considering the existing knowledge about diet and how it affects cancer in treatment protocols. Frankly, that may be a function of the fact that nutrition hasn’t been and isn’t  a part of their training and the fact that the genetic basis for cancer has had such a hold on treatments and finding cures for years despite Warburg’s research results decades ago.

Take care.

Good of luck with everything.

I mentioned fasting both to my BC nurse and Onco . Both were very clear that in their opinion a varied healthy diet was best. I think not upsetting the body even more was their take on the situation.  I know that the medical world does differentiate between a ‘study’ and ‘research’. However, having read Walter Longo’s study I did a 48 hours liquid diet before and after chemo. I certainly had minimum nausea, and felt very good. I knew I wouldn’t be able to fast, but fresh soups, fruit and veg smoothies and loads of water and green tea did it for me. X