1st chemo tomorrow!

Hi!
Having my first FEC tomorrow (got 6 to do) and not entirely sure how to feel about it or prepare for it. Reading all your posts has been such an amazing help!! SO thanks!! I have stocked my cupboards with sherbert lemons, ginger biscuits, and milkshake!
Any advice on what to think about it and how to actually go through with it and sleep tonight would be most welcome!
Hope you are all ok.

Thanks xxx

P.S When are you ment to see the hospital wig lady? Just fretting about the hair stuff. You all look so good!

Hi Trumpet1.

I am having Epirubicin and have had 3 now. I was really anxious before it all started. The reality was nothing like the anticipation! The actual treatment was fine. The nurses were very kind, gentle and understanding.

I stocked up on the same sort of stuff as you have, I didn’t need them but ate the lot anyway! The best advice i got was to drink lots of water.

Follow all the directions the nurse gives about anti sickness and so on. Oh and be kind to yourself. Rest and relax. I have watched loads of DVds lent by friends and family. I have suffered mainly with fatigue and I do not feel guilty about relaxing and getting under that duvet on the couch!

I even went back to work this week, but am having a couple of days off this week while my immunity is low.

You will learn from this site that the SEs are different for everyone. But what is common is that we all get through it!!!

Good luck tomorrow.

Sheila xx

Oh, I asked the nurse at my first chemo about the wig and she gave me the form to go to a local shop. The wig is great! No-one notices…

hello Trumpet and Sheila
have just lost the response I did but what I had written was put much more succinctly by you, Sheila!
The staff are great and very supportive and guide you through it all. I am also having FEC and am on day 12 of my first cycle. I also got lots of stuff in, but added minimilk ice lollies. I was nauseous but wanted gentle food, baked potatoes, cereal etc. Eating little and often is also very helpful, but again, the nurses will guide you.
My wig is very different to my own hair - actually much, much nicer but the day I got it I had all my hair shorn off so that I look like a skinhead. I had a big issue with sitting waiting for it to happen so taking control worked for me. I like being around the house without it, and I’m used to virtually no hair before it all goes. I think thats a scenario we all need to manage in our own way isn’t it?
as for tonight, I think wine is appropriate myself, but again, thats not for everyone.
good luck for tomorrow, I’ll be thinking of you - will look out and see how you are getting on later on tonight
monica xxx

Hi Trumpet,

Yes my experience has also been that the anticipation is worse than the reality ( 3 FEC and 3 Taxo ) I took a photo of my daughter with me and that gave me strength. I told myself I was going through this treatment to ensure that I had a long life with her and the people I love. Yes chemo is scarey but it’s there to help you, keep imagining the chemo doing it’s work in destroying any stray cancer cells.

Also the chemo nurses are great, you can talk to them about anything. I was in tears leaving them when my Herceptin had finished, they are special people. They really will help you through it all.

I felt a wee bit sick after my first FEC, but I ate my tea really slowly and felt heaps better after. I didn’t feel nauseous at all on the remaining 2 cycles. As daisyleaf has said little and often is good, although the steroids they give you do make you feel very hungry. I got through piles of toast! Try not to take your steriods too late in the day (I think I took mine about 4pm but it might have been earlier) or you’ll be wide awake all night.

Take care, a big hug for you, you can do it,

Love

Veggie

just wanted to wish you all the best… i have recently finished 6 x fec so i can say its do-able. the first one was the hardest emotionally but it’s totally do able. thinking of you…xxxxxxxxxx

Thanks everyone for your lovely and very useful comments!
Am back home now. Like you all said the nurses are so nice and make it not as scary as it could be. You just csn’t belive it is happening to you, i wanted to say, but i’m really well don’t put that stuff in me to make me ill!!
Anyway, felt fine at the hospital but started feeling sick when i got home. Your tips came in useful, i was sipping lemon and ginger tea and pinapple juice, had a baked potatoe and ginger biscuits have helped too!
Just trying to sit quietly and take my mind off feeling dodgy. Just want to know that it will go better! We are all in this together !!
Going to find something good on the box now!
Have a nice night and thanks so much xxxxx

Hi Trumpet, great to hear from you. Hope the next few days are OK and you get through it without too much grief. Its a big hurdle to get over, but you’ve done that now.
love, monica xx

Hi Trumpet,

well done you brave lady. I shall be following your posts very closely as I shall probably be about a cycle behind you.

Hope you manage to avoid feeling too dodgy.

Al
xx

Hi Trumpet,

Well done! First hurdle over with. You are on the countdown now. The only way I could explain how I feel the few days after chemo is “wierd”! Bit spaced out and the obligatory tiredness.

I do hope it is kind to you. You seem to have a good attitude and that will help you through. You will work out what is best for you.

Best wishes

Sheila xx

Hi Trumpet,

I’ve finished 4 FEC and have just had my first (of 4) Taxotere. My advice would be to just clear your diary for a week, get in loads of funny DVD’s and just keep saying to yourself that it’s not forever. I found the side effects very full on, but you just need to get through your first one, then you know you can do the rest! Do seek help if your anti-sickness tablets don’t work. I put up with the wrong combination (for me) until my 4th FEC until I talked about it with a Dr, then I was perscribed some others and I was much better. Wish I’d done it sooner. Also, try and get a good friend to dosome crazy craving shopping for you. Be a diva - it’ll be over before you know it.

Good luck!

Hi Trumpet,

Hurray! the first one is always the most stressful, you should feel proud of yourself, you did it.

Take care

Veggie

Hey Trumpet

Your post rings so many bells!!

I’ve just had my first FEC (having 4 followed by 4 TAX then rads)
I had the same moment in the chair…No I’m fine really…I’m not sick…THAT’S what’s gonna make me sick! lol. The whole realisation that this is actually happening to you hits home when the chemo drugs come out. Even though I’ve had a mastectomy & full node clearance it hasn’t really convinced me that I’m ill…although I’ve sobbed plenty!

I had the most amazing chemo nurse who gave me a lovely ice lolly to suck & a lovely wee therapist lady who spent the whole time I was there giving me a fantastic reflexology massage…chemo was actually enjoyable! :o)

Had the whole nausea & headache combo in the afternoon & tried to sleep it off. A wee bit sick this morning & now I’m back to feeling like me, although smells are bringing back the sicky feeling at random moments…and no one else can smell anything!! It’s just like my middle pregnancy!

Can’t seem to drink anything either…all making me feel queezy. Anyone any suggestions? I usually love lemon & lime volvic, milk, water, tea, fruit juices…can’t cope with any of them! :o(

Oh…and picked up my 2 wigs today…so much better than my own hair has ever been! Tried one out tonight & no one seemed to notice! Has given me some confidence for when I have to wear them for real…although I’m nervous about my first venture into the playground with it on. Will be scarier with people who know me. Guaranteed to get some pitying glances!!

Sorry for the long story, but just so excited to speak to people who truly understand what this crap journey is like!

Good Luck to all!

Hxxx

Hello Hayz,

Just noticed your comments re wig. You are worried about people noticing and pitying glances. You mention the playground so maybe you work in a school?

The first time I wore my wig was for a hospital appointment and I had had it for about an hour. The waiting time in clinic was nearly 3 hours. It was the most uncomfortable time of my life. I was sure everyone was staring and wanted to stand up and shout “It’s a wig, OK!”

I am determined to go to work during chemo when I can but was so anxious about going to school in my wig… everyone knows me so well, I was sure they would be alarmed and feel sorry for me! And as for the children… they would be bound to notice. In fact no-one gave it a second glance. People told me that they truly thought it was my own hair. The children did not notice at all. I am now at the stage where I don’t care if anyone notices it is a wig! Let them try having breast cancer, surgery, chemo and carry on having a normal life!!! I wear my wig with pride!

Oh, I have even done playground duty with the wind blowing a gale and it stayed firm!

Good luck to you

Sheila

Hi Hayz and smelltheroses,

Are you both teachers/work in schools??

I’m a school teacher and due to have my first chemo a week Tues. Haven’t really thought about the hair thing yet, but guess it could be quite amusing for the children if I wore a wig and it blew off at breaktime!!!

Love to all
Al
xx

Hello everyone
good to hear from you all. I’m on day 18 of 1st FEC and the hair loss has begun - body hair first - oh my!
looking forward to FEC No.2 next weds.
Its great to be able to share all this with people who know what I’m talking about.
love to all (got to get the washing out!)
monica

Hi folks, thanks so much for posting your comments. I’m due for my first FEC on the 21st (3xFEC + 3xTaxotere), and your hints and tips are invaluable. I get the impression the worrying about it all is worse than the doing - so I’m getting stuck into some olympic style fussing now, so that during the war I’ve got it out of my system! Well, thats’ the plan anyhow :0

Good luck to you folks, keep strong, and I’ll keep reading…thanks
xxx

Hi to All!

I’m having a good old chuckle at the thought of my wig blowing off in the wind! I’d definitely be running after it that’s for sure…I could never afford to replace it…God Bless the NHS! :o)

Tried it out on a wee visit to my work colleagues today & they were all very impressed & complimentary, so it’s given me another wee boost. Think I’ll venture into the Playground (just the school run with my kids)& get it over with on Monday! Thinking about tying the ‘YES IT’S A WIG’ sign round my neck just in case tho! LOL

Oooh, Daisyleaf…the hair loss! I’m waiting for the right time to shave my head. Only day 3 after my first FEC but my scalp is already verging on the painful side! Does the pain subside or were you lucky enough to escape it? Have to say I’m looking forward to the underarm hair dissapearing…having had a full lymph node clearance I now have 1 European armpit! So not attractive!! but I daren’t venture near it with a razor in fear of severing an artery!
Can’t feel a damned thing so I wouldn’t notice until I’d bled to death! PMSL!..well you gotta laugh haven’t you?!

Loocie, Good Luck with the first FEC. The actual ‘doing’ was strangely enjoyable for me (lovely massage & no kids screaming ‘MUMMY’!)I did feel very nauseous towards late afternoon (had my FEC at 10am)& I found sleeping the best way to get past it. I’m quite tired now on day 3, but it’s not unbearable & it comes and goes. Obviously the SE’s are individual to each person, but like everyone says it is doable…hopefully I’ll still be saying that towards then end of my 8 cycle regime!!

Hxx

Hxx

Can I just say “thank god. you’re all me!”, what I mean is you’re all taking about what I’m feeling and doing. Wish you weren’t in the nicest way but glad not alone you know.

I CAN do this and Monday my tufty bonce is going to be made shorter and the wig is going to the play ground…

I’m 11 days in and all SE have been doable, been back at work since day 6 all be it for only a few hours each day. Hair started to come out in bits quite quickly but possibly because I keep checking!! You know that running of hand through hair, just can’t leave it alone. Don’t like the spots I’m getting, didn’t have these when I was a teenager.

have a great Sunday, love to all

Katie

Hi, everyone!

Well…About 30 minutes after i wrote my cheery post saying that after my first FEC everything was just fine and i wondered what all the fuss was about, i began to have a pretty horrendous 5 days solid!! Culminating in tonsellitus (sorry about the spelling!). I have had so much wrong with me i don’t know what to moan about first!
But not going into detail as i don’t want to put anyone off, the doctors and NHS have been fab and visited me 5 times this week! I felt like i had the beginnings of a cold coming on and should have been a bit more forthright about it.
Have been very well looked after by my parents (have reverted to being 15 again!!) and am starting to feel better now.
Am used to travelling alot and working and going out and can’t wait to do that again …when will that be??
The main thing is, i don’t know how i am ever going to go back into that building were i feel like they poisoned me! Any advice would be most welcome please. Couldn’t even look at this website for 5 days as just looking at the words ‘chemo’ ‘cancer’ e.t.c. would make me shiver!!

Thanks alot xxx