cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1st chemo tomorrow!

Highlighted

Re: 1st chemo tomorrow!

Hi All,

Well done Sarah - that's the biggest hurdle over and done with and a big good riddance to chemo! Oooh and sorry about your grotty day.
Recs - You're almost there too, hang in there.
Hope the s/e's go for you both very soon.

Have been putting off taking the tamoxifen, been a bit of a baby coz I have read up on the side effects. Even more cowardly waiting till Helen took hers - are you still ok Helen? I put it off last night again because went out to lunch today but after 8 days finally took one tonight! Ho hum just have to wait and see now.

Jane - strange that the cording has come back. I had cording at the beginning but luckily it went pretty quickly. The physio said if it didn't there were more exercises she would have given me. Anyway hope it goes soon.
May everyone's s/e's this week be minimal.
love to all
Lynn xx

Highlighted

Well Done Sarah!!

K x

Highlighted

Congratulations and well done slatch! You deserve a few duvet days to celebrate. What a shame you are feeling so poorly. Take care. Marli x

Highlighted

Hi Ladies,
Well done Sarah, another one to join the no more swampy club, isn't it a lovely feeling that you won't have to do it again in three weeks. I'm already thinking about next Thursday and laughing because I shan't be going to the hospital, what shall I do with myself. It also means 3 weeks and I suppose I shall start taking Tamoxifen. Haven't read any details about it yet but I suppose I shall have to. Watching closely to see how Helen and Lynn are doing so please don't tell us anything bad!!!
Unfortunately cording has come back to haunt me again, bit surprised as I am left handed and use that arm quite a bit.
Good luck tomorrow Hayz, hope your arm is better.
Hope your side effects aren't too bad ladies.
Love Jane xx

Highlighted

Sarah congratulations - I'm sorry it's been a horrid day but you are done ! Look forward to joining you in 6 weeks ! Feel pretty rough today (Monday was Tax II) but wanted to say Well Done You ! from here on in you only get better xxx

Highlighted

Hi all,

I've done it......finished chemo today...feel like crap but all done and dusted!! Had to have by bloods taken twice because the nurse didn't supply enough the first time...so i had to let them stab me again!!! Then my neuts were slightly low (1.4) so had to wait to see what ONC said..... I said I was chaining myself to the bed and going nowhere!!! Luckily?? he gave the go ahead...and precautionary anti biotics to take next week along with the dreaded neulasta. If that wasn't enough the cold cap decide to break half way through... Oh and I was being sick throughout!!! what a fab day I've had!!

Good luck Hayz for tomorrow, just the SE's for us to deal with over the next few days.

well done loocie for entering back into the big wide world!! Hope it's not as scary as it seems. Slow and steady is def the way to go for a while...pretty much the only way in my case!!!

Love to all and thinking of you all - If I can do it anyone can, I never thought I would!!

Sarah xx

Highlighted

Hi Loocie

I am so impressed by you going back to work already. I am not due back until the end of May so well done you. I agree about being guided by your limitations. I hope in the next couple of weeks that my strength will return and walking up the stairs will not be so exhausting then I can gradually build up my stamina again. Rads is the next hurdle but Im not dreading it like I did the chemo, hopefully all will go ok with that. Keep up the good work Loocie. Take care
Love Karen xx

Highlighted

Hi Karen, really good to see you back.

I was like you in so far as I couldn't believe the chemo was over, simply becuase the side effects were so draining. Four weeks post last tax and still coming out of the fug, but believe every day there is some improvement. I'm learning lots of lessons, have lowered my expectations and am guided by my limitations so that I don't get so disappointed as I was getting, and it is working. I know in my heart that in a few months time I'll be running up my hill, but am content to settle for walking up it now...last week I couldn't manage that very easily!

Went to work this afternoon and will be going in each afternoon for the rest of the week. I really enjoyed it once i was there! I also managed to land myself a nice little project to ease me back into the work force. No pressure on this one, so will be able to take it at my own pace. I've got rads planning next week so will get the start date of treatment then and from there will really be able to plan out when I can start my return to work proper.

In the meantime...off to my bloomin bed as I'm pooped!

Lotsalove hunnies, keep in there 🙂
xxx

Highlighted

Hi Jane

Hope you managed to have a good nights sleep, there is nothing worse than lying in bed watching the clock go round and listening to your oh snoring happily next to you! I have been sleeping a bit better just recently. I am still getting the awful hot flushes but not as many, thank goodness.
It still hasnt sunk in yet about no more chemo, I think its because I am still suffering the side effects of the last one. I cannot believe how quick the time has gone, I remember saying on a few occassions that I couldnt take any more and here I am finished! so pleased I stuck with it. So, a note to any ladies out there going through chemo YOU CAN DO IT!! I have been looking at the 'race for life' website today and am going to have a go at it. I wont be jogging just fast pace walking as I am very aware of my limits! My daughters and niece said they will do it with me, it takes place on the 27th June where I live so should be good.
Hope everyone is keeping ok.
Love to all
Karen xxx

Highlighted

Hi everyone,just coming out of my SE's I think it's the smell and taste of chemo that's worse, still things getting better. start new regime 15th what wonders will it hold LOL.
Hayz how's your arm? and last chemo Hurrah
Helen, finished Rads well done I had tamoxifen I took it before bed and honestly didn't have any adverse effects, I already had hot flushes so what ones I did have didn't bother me.
Lynn I'm waiting until I finish before worrying about getting fit I read today that going up and down stairs for 15mins was a good work out, I've yet to try it YEA!!
Mini I reacted to 2nd EIP but was closely monitored so no problem after.
Karen hope you're feeling better
Jane good luck with Rads and tamoxifen.
Well done to those who've finished chemo, good luck with Rads and for us starting or in the middle of chemo onwards and upwards.
Love Kath
Thanks for the laughs Hair nails catapillers etc

Highlighted

Helen - That's great news, no side-effects from Tamoxifen, must be such a relief for you. I was really pleased to hear it - right deffo will take tomorrow night now. I know I must take them but have been sitting on them. Just needed that extra bit of encouragement. I hope I will be the same... fingers crossed.
OMG I agree with you about the shopping - it's like a whole new world out there waiting for me to spend, spend, spend. Haven't been properly shopping ie for clothes for around 7 months. Near Xmas went to a NT garden and ended up buying a Robin (not a real feathered variety lol) just because I needed to buy something, not because I really needed another fake Christmas decoration cluttering up the house! Really peed off last Thursday when I had a nice trip out planned to get some boots and I pulled my calf muscle exercising - I think someone up there knew that I might be out of control with the cash!

Went for Radiotherapy planning today and got the 'tattoo' - 3 black inky dots under the skin. Starting Rads 18th Feb for 4 1/2 weeks.
Loocie when are you starting? MMMmmm your lunch sounded so good and healthy too.
OOOoooo - hair is growing back too. Look like I'm on a greenpeace march but hey it's a start!

Lots of hugs to all those going through the s/e's this week and a big Whoo Hoo to Hazel and Sarah (and anyone else) finishing this week.
Lynn xx

Highlighted

Yo ex and current swampers, isn't it great talking about hair dye and nail polish rather than bowels, puking and thrush 🙂 LOL, we knew the time would come, but it feel surreal.

You may have noticed, I had ten million different SE's (well it felt like it), but my nails aren't too bad at all. They were looking really dodgy a couple of weeks ago, but seem to have improved. I just keep them really short and well moisturised. And, miracle of miracles my taste buds are getting back to normal. I actually managed some melon, kiwi and pineapple today - first fruit for about three months!

Unlike some of you I didn't have a problem with steroids - Mini, I took them at 0800 in the morning and 1400 in the afternoon (dose was 8mg Dexamethasone). I guess I was lucky that they didn't make me buzz or keep me awake.

Pleased you got on OK with the Tamoxifen Helen - hope you do too Lynn. Yet to have the pleasure, but maybe after my planning on the 10th

Took wiggy for a walk in the park the other day, and it was better behaved than when I wore it for driving in. In fact it was lovely to see some hair floating about in front of my eyes - bought back memories!!!

Off to try out the old tastbuds on some hummus (with chopped sun dried tomatoes, alf alfa, basil and pine nuts) on toast. So in answer to your question Karen, yes personally I have changed my diet. All a bit vegan and earth mothery (dairy free too), but strangely seems to suit my 'new' body quite well!

Lotsalove my lovelies
xxx

Highlighted

Hayz you're a mere babe, I bet your nails look brilliant. Thanks for colour info.
Hope you're going somewhere really exciting on your Birthday.

Babs xx

Highlighted

Hi Lynn

took my first tamoxifen last night and ...... nothing. Forgotten I'd taken it all day! My OH says 'don't hold your breath, the side effects will probably kick in after a couple of days'. Lol, thanks for the encouragement! Although I do think one of the long term side effects I've got from something is to become a shopaholic - I don't seem to be able to stop. Not doing the bank balance much good, I must say. I'll just have to head down the gym a bit more to keep myself occupied until I get some work.

Anyway, so far so good! I should really have plucked up courage and taken them earlier.

Keep on kickin' those SE's, girls.

Helen.

Highlighted

Hey Babs

I've had my nails a few different really dark colours. So long as it protects your nails from UV light it doesn't matter what you choose.

mine are a lovely purpley black with sparkley bits just now....so attractive on a soon to be 36 year old! LOL

Hxx

Highlighted

Hi Ladies

Well its the start of another week and I am soooo pleased to hear so many of you are nearing end of gunk stage. You must be really looking forward to it. ROCK ON!
Interesting to read about painting nails dark for Tax, is this because they normally go that colour or to help stopping them drop off. Does it have to be black or can a plum colour do. Otherwise I shall have to go out and buy some.

Read on an earlier thread that there is a natural hair colourant available from Holland and Barratts which is supposed to be gentle.

Still waiting for my hair to start falling out yet but it has now gone very dry.

Love Babs xx

Highlighted

Hi All,

Hey Hayz and Sarah - good luck for Wednesday and Thursday, almost there, whoo hooo!! And Karen too - well done for joining the good riddance chemo club. Karen - I'm obviously not doing so well with my fitness campaign, managing to pull a calf muscle after doing some very light dance moves!!!

Mini - I would take hayz advice and paint your nails dark, just in case. Unfortunately I did mine too late and six have dropped off completely. Steroids also had quite an effect on me. Really buzzy the day before and night (didn't sleep at all) and felt really tired when they had stopped.
Don't think anyone has had an allergic reaction to Tax on this thread and it is fairly rare..the nurses will keep an eye on you so don't worry.

Helen - well done for finishing Rads...you're quite a bit ahead of us. I was told not to use hair dyes for 6 months following chemo but there may be variable advice on that one.

Now I am almost 4 weeks following last Tax dose I am filling up my days seeing friends etc - I have been holding onto the Tamoxifen since last Tuesday trying to work out when I should start as the side effects are putting me off....and I want to see my friends without feeling nauseous etc. Don't think I could do nausea again after FEC.
Off to get 'tattooed' tomorrow - thought I might ask for something a little more interesting than a few dots...really will have to stop myself saying 'come on surely you can be a little more artistic than that'.

Most of us are nearly there now, and a few getting there... and the few getting there remember it does go so quickly.
Lynn x

Highlighted

Hi Karen,
So glad you are back, was wondering how you were getting on.
You have certainly got on with your rads, I don't even see the consultant until the 15th and will then have to have planning etc after. I was hoping not to start until March, looks like that is the earliest it will be.
I know what you mean about fitness, dusting the exercise bike is enough for me at the moment. It will come, we are not as far ahead as some these fitness freaks!!!!! I will get there but at my own pace.
Well I am going to bed, wonder what time I shall get to sleep tonight, it was 6.00am the other day and I had to get up at 7.30. Never mind I shall make it up one day,
Love Jane xx

Highlighted

Hi All

Good to read all the posts on how everyone is feeling since finishing chemo. Its a good feeling but dont think it has registered with me that I have actually finished chemo. Have had a terrible time again, back in hospital with temp of 38.5 felt really rough. Had the normal tests done, doctor thought there was an underlying infection so on mega antibiotics now. Really dont think my poor little body could of coped with another tax anyway so its a good job that was my last one. Got my Rads planning on the 8th Feb then I start Radiotherapy on the 25th Feb I also have to have an echocardiogram on the 23rd as I am starting Herceptin after rads so it looks like Feb/March is going to be hospital, hospital, hospital. I am very jealous that you all seem to have started your keep fit regime. I still have to have a lie on the bed to recover from going up the stairs! Has anyone changed their diet? I was not one for lots of processed foods, ready meals or junk food but I am certainly going to look more closely at the food we now eat.
Anyway keep up the good work ladies. Keep well.
Lots of love to you all
Karen xxx

Highlighted

so great to hear loads of folk at their last chemo dose - I have tax II tomorrow then 2 after that -roll on 15 March and I will join you in the post chemo club after 8 sessions 🙂 then I move to rads and haven't even started looking at that yet - I will as Scarlet O'Hara says think about that tomorrow

must paint my nails tonight - I can see some damage already.

I have to say that Epi was a breeze compared to tax but I have weeks not months ahead of me and will speak to the Onc tomorrow re the thrush and the nose bleeds to see if there is anything he can do over what I am doing already.

Thanks for sharing the good news that this too passes girls - really helps

Highlighted

Hey Mini

I painted my nails very dark before my first Tax (1 undercoat & 2 coats of colour then a top coat just to be sure! lol)& have kept them dark throughout.

I've had 3 cycles of Tax so far & I can honestly say that my nails have never been stronger! My cuticles have all but gone & my fingertips do ache for a few days after treatment, but my nails are great. They usually break a lot, but they're getting so long that I'm going to have to cut them....and sort out the chipped polish 🐵

I didn't have any sleeping problems with FEC, but I do with Tax. I seem to be late in bed & up very early for around 4 days when I start the steroids....I catch up when the fatigue kicks in tho around day 4 post chemo!

I've come to find that, for me, if I give in to it & take it really easy & sleep for a couple of days then the side effects pass quicker & are less.

I wouldn't worry too much about any allergic reactions...the chemo nurses will monitor you closely for your first 2 cycles.

Good Luck Sarah for Wednesday....WOOP WOOP!!...last one too!!

...Congrats Helen for finishing rads! My Chemo nurse told me that the semi permanant hair dyes should be fine to use, as they aren't as harsh or use the same chemicals.

I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel!...roll on a week on Friday when I should be thru the se's and getting ready for my lovely rads tattoos!

Best of Luck to everyone else having treatment this week

Hxx

Highlighted

Hi Ladies,
Welcome Mini, I didn't bother to paint my nails because they are rubbish anyway and I am certainly paying for it now with bits peeling off everywhere. I think there are others here who did paint their nails so they may help you more on that one. As regards sleeping and steroids, my onc told me that I would not sleep and prescribed me mild sleeping pills. I don't find the actual steroid days a problem but several days after and I still don't sleep well even with the sleeping tablets. Don't think I am active enough so it is a bit of a vicious circle. Thirdly, the nurses are very concious of the possible allergic reaction at my hosp they started it very slowly and kept checking me and then speeded it up slightly. I can't remember if anyone on here has had a reaction, I think there might have been one a little way back. Good luck anyway.
Loocie, I have one very runny eye and I was a bit shocked when you said you still had it 4 weeks later. Hoped it would have gone by then.
Helen as regards hair colour, I think I read somewhere that you can only use a non chemical hair colour after chemo. My hairdresser told me a while ago that she was using one on a lady at the salon she works at. Her client there had gone through chemo. I shall def be having to use it eventually as my hair is coming back white!!!!! Suppose I should be grateful that it is coming back!! I don't know how long you have to wait after chemo but I have a feeling there was a thread on this sit a little while ago about hair colours.
Good luck to the girls having cocktails this week, it'll be another one done.
Love to you all,
Jane xx

Highlighted

Quick Question of all you Tax vetrans. I have my first Tax on Friday following FEC, which was not too bad for me. 1) should I paint my nails black to protect them 2) do the pre steroids keep you up all night and 3)I'm worried about possible allergic reaction first time has anyone experienced it? Any help appreciated. XX

Highlighted

Yes, I can't believe we are all nearly through it. Two months on from my last FEC and I'm feeling great, think all the chemo effects have gone. Just need to get rid of the third spare tyre around my middle now - two hours in the gym this morning will help, I hope, although exercise always makes me starving so I eat more.

Finished rads on Friday and now have a very sore and red boob, going bra-less at the moment - not ideal in the gym lol! Hopefully it should improve over the next couple of weeks.

Enjoying my last afternoon of freedom till I take my first tamoxifen tonight. The chemo hot flushes have just about gone so I will be really unimpressed if the tamoxifen brings them all back. Fingers crossed.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to when I could colour my hair again - it badly needs some highlights? I'd hate to highlight it and the hair all fall out after so much effort with the cold cap to keep it all. The bald patch on the top is growing back and all the little hairs stand straight up like I've stuck my finger in an electric socket. The other bits of me that were also bald have most definitely got a full something of hair going on now (much to the OH's disappointment lol), although my legs don't seem to be very hairy - long may it continue!

Did my tax return yesterday and I am owed all of 25p from HMRC - oooh, I'll have to go and treat myself to a lolly!

Keep going all of you still in the swamp - there is life out there still!

Helen.

Highlighted

Fan-bloomin-tastic, so many people coming to the end of swamping!!!

It's amazing, but true...we did it! I'm now four weeks post last tax, and it has taken me this long to start to feel a bit more like my old self. I think I was quite sensitive to the tax, so has probably taken me longer than it will some of you. Eyes are starting to improve now, thank goodness.

Hope you all had a good weekend? I've got a busy week this week...just hope I can manage it!

Really perky for you all, & will be soooooooooooo good when you're done with the goo - its wonderful
xxx

Highlighted

Hi,

good luck for Thursday Hayz, I can't wait til Weds...my last one too!! Although not looking forward to it one bit, can't wait to say I've done!!! Hopefully in a couple of weeks from now we'll be feeling much relief at not having to repeat the horrid 3 wk cycle!! You must be shattered after 8 lots, I'm really feeling it after 5 already, tiredness is setting in big time...sometimes you just have to give in to it!!! Waiting to hear from hospital regarding rads start date.... bring on the next challenge!

Good luck to everyone else...you'll soon be finished too!!

Sarah x

Highlighted

Hello Ladies

I'm sooooooo excited......Thursday is last chemo day!!

OMG!! I can't believe I'll have survived 8 cycles of chemo!!

WOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!! 🐵

Hope you're all well!

Hxx

Highlighted

mnc,

Heart failure on Herceptin?? That scares me as I have been offered it, but have not looked into as yet as dealing with each treatment as it comes along.

anne

Highlighted

Hi Ladies,
I am from Surrey and I got a prescription for a wig. However, the prescription was I think about £97.00 towards a wig but then you had to pay £60 or £65.00 for the prescription.......... so infact they only gave you about £37.00 towards your wig!!!!! I bought 2 because I can't do bald or scarves and wear a wig everywhere but in the house and then I have to wear a little towelling type turban. Don't even like to answer the door without hair. I did however get a nice free boob to match by remaining one. So there's another new topic, do we all get free boobs?
I think I'm more or less over the last chemo SE's except for oral thrush again. Not as bad as last time because I was already taking Nystan. I do think my SE's have been a little more intense and for slightly longer this time but still not too much to complain about. I def think Tax has been easier for me than Fec.
Where's Karen (Wills), bit worried as we haven't heard from her since her last treatment same day as mine. Hope she's ok, I know she had problems last time. Hope we hear from her soon.
Glad to hear you are all well at the moment.
Keep smiling, love to you all,
Jane xx

Highlighted

Babs,

I too am in Hampshire - had surgery and chemo at Winchester and rads at Southampton General. I was given a voucher from Winchester hospital and was sent to a wig shop in Portsmouth where the wig was free (the wig lady also visits the hospital once a month) - it was a limited choice of the cheaper ranges, but still worth about £110 or so and looked pretty good.

I'm not on income support and I think everyone at Winchester gets this fab service. It must be down to the NHS trust and the individual hospital policy - everything does seem to vary according to the consultants running the department - they have quite a lot of individual freedom within their budgetary constraints to set up the breast care services as they wish.

Helen.

Highlighted

Hi. I had my first chemo yesterday for fec. Two more of fec and then three of taxotere. After that herceptin which I think I will refuse as the side affects of potential heart failure are horrid. I then have rads and tamoxifen.

Feel okay apart from allergic rash yesterday as concotion of drugs were going in and nausea last night at the restaurant my husband took me and nausea this morning.

It is one of my son's birthday today - he is 22 and I will be going to my wig appointment today and have a letter from the hospital which means I only pay £60.00 on the NHS for my wig. It is only free if on income support. I live in Hertfordshire.

Regards

Highlighted

Hi

Interesting to read about prices of wigs in different areas, I guess I just struck unlucky but do live in Hampshire so probably is postcode lottery.

Helen. e-bay got to be worth a try unless you want to keep it for fancy dress evenings.

Have to get back to helping OH with heating system now as had a drop more snow yesterday and house is cold at moment.

Babs xx

Highlighted

Hi,

I had my first chemo on 21st Jan, having 3 FEC then 3 Tax then rads/hormones. I actually go to see Mr Hardman on Monday to discuss rads. I had a mastecomy just before christmas. First chemo was better than i thought, only one nights sickness . Bit of a sore mouth at moment but nothing I can't handle. Did you get a wig from Tony from Darlington??

Sorry note sure what WLE / AC mean.

anne

Highlighted

Morning Richo - I live near Darlington and am being treated there. Onc is Mr Hardman based at Middlesbrough so may be sharing his services! Had 4th of 6 EC last Wed. so am over half way - hooray. Will need 4 weeks radiotherapy (will be at M'br) and then hormone treatment. Initially diagnosed July'09, WLE Aug, AC Sept. and started chemo Nov. Chemo has treated me well, thank goodness although lots of little niggles no major sickness. How about you?Marli. x

Highlighted

Marli,

Hi, where in the North East are you from. I am from Middlesbrough. Also what treatment / what stage you at and what hospital (Nosey are'nt I)

Anne x

Highlighted

Babs

my wig was free too, thought this was standard procedure on the NHS. A second one would have cost £100+ so I thought this was a very good deal, particularly as I was made redundant and had (and still have) no money.

However, I never wore the wig as the cold cap saved my hair. Not sure what to do with it now - it's unworn, anyone want a brand new blond bob wig?

Do you think I could sell it on ebay?

Helen.

Highlighted

Babs - Like Richo my wig was free. It appears that it's that "post-code lottery" thing again, depends where you live (I live in the north east) Wig lady told me my wig would cost about £200 to get a 2nd one, only paid £12 for stand and shampoo.I agree you should be told before you go whether there is a charge. Marli

Highlighted

Babs, I picked my wig up on Wednesday and it was free!! Did'nt realise it would be different elsewhere, surely it should be the same all over and free??

Anne x

Highlighted

Lynn - thanks for details on Fec and Tax. The hospital are a bit vague on saying what might happen and when but I guess that's because we are all different.

Am still waiting for the hair to start dropping out and have an appointment in 2 weeks to try on some more wigs. Was a bit surprised when went to 1st wig appointment though as no-one at hospital told me there would be a charge of £60.00. I don't mind this but to some it could be quite a surprise unless on income support in which case it is free. Just thought I would throw this in incase other people haven't been advised of cost.

Have a great weekend ladies.

Babs xx

Highlighted

Hi Ladies,

Interesting posts ladies - I think the possible faultly DNA is a valid point. I have never been obese but have severely cut down on what I drink - say no more!!

Babs - the side effects on FEC don't usually change much - if anything they might improve a little. I certainly didn't have such a fuzzy head on the second and third. You probably shouldn't get any additional ones, except for the hair loss (unless you are using cold cap). The nails and eyebrows was more to do with TAX which does give different s/e's from FEC (but luckily little or no nausea).

OOoooh - mastectomy or any op without anaesthesia is just too gruesome to think about - OMG mustn't moan anymore!
Lynn x

Highlighted

leucite - my onc said the same thing - that mastectomies were first performed 8,ooo years ago. Can you imagine those poor women going through that without anaesthesia? Horrible.

Highlighted

Hi Babs

yes, I agree with you about all the causes of breast cancer. To give him his due, my onc did say that the only two 'scientifically proven' risk factors are alcohol and obesity. I think (and I think most of the scientific community also think) that there are many other causes, mostly due to living in an industrialised society, they just haven't managed to scientifically prove any of them yet. I'm taking part in a trial to look at the genetic make up and possible risk factors of my specific cancer, so there are people out there investigating such things.

Interestingly enough, my breast surgeon practices archaeology as a side interest and says that there is evidence of breast cancer in the remains of pre-historic humans too - who obviously weren't living in an industrialised society. I think (and this is only my opinion) that there is a built in error in our DNA and cell make up which makes us susceptible to cancers, so we always have an inbuilt risk, and it is certain factors in our environment, be it diet, lifestyle, things around us, pollution etc. which causes our body's inbuilt anti-cancer mechanism to break down and let the cells mutate.

Bring on the days when they can work out what the causes are!

Helen

Highlighted

Hi Ladies

Not in a position to give any advice for those of you suffering with nails, eyes etc as am only just starting week 2 after 1st chemo. Do more se's arrive as course goes on or do you normally get same symptoms each time?

Helen, I can't agree with what they said at US conference as I'm sure all of us suffering with this aren't overweight alcoholics lol. I just think they ask a few questions of the patients and then choose what is mentioned most. They don't really know what causes it only that we all supposedly have cells in our bodies and sometimes they act up.

Best of luck to all of your starting different treatment.

Love Babs xx

Highlighted

Ello trapped but cheerful - all of you 🙂 I seriously doubt you're on your own.

I did the Sainsbury thing this afternoon - the real thing, not the online stuff I have been doing. Think I shall stick to the online version in future!!! Am dogged now, although part of my brain thinks it will be good for me, for some strange reason.

I hate the idea that you've all got mangey bits, but I'm so pleased I'm not alone. My eyes are still driving me round the bend (called the opticians this morning and they said to speak with my onc...been there, done that). Nails just look a bit off colour - like a well seasoned smoker, although I suspect one or two may well depart at some point. Night sweats are and hot flushes are pretty hideous - isn't is just freezing when you wake up having kicked off the duvet? However, the old tastebuds are starting to get there.

Really starting to get the hang of live outside the three week cycle (you hang on in there those that are still 'cycling', cos it's well worth the excitement once you escape it). Got a lovely sociable couple of days lined up with my chums, which I'm really looking forward to.

Hope you're mangey bits don't make life too disturbing for you; and hope the SEs for the swampers are manageable.

Lotsalove to y'all
xxx

Highlighted

Hi All,

Shall I start of cheerful (which I have been recently) so as not to break the general flow of the posts or shall I have a mini rant first.

Just quickly so that I can get it off my chest - was feeling quite positive, must get fit etc. Also noticed Loocie on her spin bike and Helen in the gym and thought the good riddance chemo club have started to exercise so get off your arse and get moving. So started yoga at the local cancer trust and yesterday decided to do some exercise with my daughter in the lounge. Some yoga, dance moves, light aerobics and then 'PING' went my calf muscle!! Well that wasn't what I had planned and scuppered my plan for a nice day out today as I can't walk properly and hobbling...Looks like I am destined to be a prisoner in the house doing b****y chores all day long!! Well mini rant over - feel better now.

Cheerful Now
Helen - that was very interesting what your Onc told you about the chemo drugs affecting the temp control. I am neither one thing or another. I am mostly cold, but then the sweats in the evening and night make me boiling hot and then back to cold again.

Jane - I was given Tamoxifen on Tuesday to take straight away ie 3 weeks after chemo. I haven't actually taken any yet, have been hesitating. Also trying to hide my nails at the mo, as 6 have come right off, leaving 4 rather maingy looking ones! Just trying to imagine your class with caterpillars on the desk and nails flying everywhere...well your pupils can't say that it hasn't been entertaining LOL
Kath - well done half way there
Hayz - almost there now, hope the elephant arm is improving

Love trapped but still cheerful
xx

Highlighted

Hi Ladies,
Well done Kath, halfway through and not long now. Well done. You were right about a brown stain. I had two on my arm right next to where they do the blood tests. I think the first came up a few days after Fec 2 and then after Fec 3. They didn't hurt or itch and nobody seemed to know what they were. They have disappeared now. Just looked like tea stains. I also had red blotches over my hands with first Tax. Really red blotches. They then became a bit uncomfortable and I had to stop using hand cream and use aqueous cream because they peeled like crazy. I only got one blotch last time, no peeling and as yet nothing this time although it is a little early. My nails however are not good, peeling from both ends and a bit sore. Some look like I'm growing out false nails and others look like I've bitten them down halfway. Very attractive.
I am def joining the rads club but don't know when as they were 'too busy to talk to me about it' last week. Think I am only having 3 weeks but not sure.
I am also joining the Tamoxifen club but don't know anything about that either!! I am apparently still not through the menopause so will start with Tamoxifen but am not going to read anything about it so it will be a lovely surprise!!!! Doc said start two weeks after last chemo, pharmacy said 3 - a good start!! Perhaps 2 1/2 weeks will be ok?? Am sure someone here will tell me more!!
I'm not looking forward to no more sympathy, no excuses to do things etc. Chemo brain is def going to last for a long while yet!!!
I work as and when I want in the craft world tutoring and demoing so that is also a hobby which I get paid for. Lucky me!! Not looking forward to my next demo without nails as everyone looks at my hands!! Never mind I'll have to try the stick on nails and have them pinging off together with the black caterpillar creeping across my table which was really a false eyelash but refused to stay put!!
Love to you all, you all sound so cheerful at the moment,
Jane xx

Highlighted

LOL Helen, loving your post 🙂 x

Highlighted

Hi all

everyone's coming along nicely at the mo - soon we'll all be finished! Only two more rads for me then that's it. I'll miss going to the hospital every day - won't know what to do with myself lol. And no more excuse for getting away with murder/not doing the housework/being grumpy/lying in bed all day/getting fat etc. Uh oh. I think the OH has been saving up his wrath at my sloth (now there's a good phrase) until the moment when he can let loose and I have a nasty feeling that moment is fast approaching!

Met my onc today (sort of by accident) who said I was looking loads better than the last time he saw me and obviously I am on the mend from chemo. He said I really must start the tamoxifen on Monday - no more excuses lol! I'll let you know how it goes, here's hoping the side effects are minimal.

He also said that he went to a conference in the US in Dec about breast cancer and the two main risk factors which have been categorically established as a cause are..... alcohol and obesity. So girls, no more drinks and the treadmill for all of us I think!

Had a dreadful night sleep last night because ..... I was TOO COLD!!! This is ridiculous - I go from one extreme to the other. I had to get up and get a hot water bottle, add a duvet to the bed and put on socks and my dressing gown just to fall asleep. And four hours later I was throwing it off again because I was TOO HOT!! It was a bit of a novelty being cold though - not been cold since about November. My onc says the chemo affects the hyphothalamus (well, I think that's what he said anyway) and sends the body's temperature control haywire. Well it's certainly doing that to me. Fortunately, though, the hot flushes are diminishing and are more like warm flushes now, and not so many of them. Here's hoping the tamoxifen doesn't start it all off again.

Anyway, it's 5pm and I haven't made the bed, done the washing up or cleaned the house and the OH is due home soon - must make like I've done something constructive with my day lol. Did manage 1.5 hours at the gym this morning though, that's three times this week already now! I'm on a roll.

chin's up girls, the end is in sight!

Helen.

Highlighted

Hey Ladies

Everyone seems in good spirits these days...long may it continue!! Glad everyones bowels are behaving & performing! ;o)

Loocie....WOOP WOOP!! No more picc line....congrats!!

I had an apt with the onc today & signed my life away for rads...I only need 4 weeks & not 5! WOOHOO!! I know it's only a week, but it means I'll be finished before the end of March!! How exciting!! Having an mx has its benefits! LOL

I discussed Tamoxifen a little with her (only scored 2/8 for hormones), she said it probably won't work with being triple neg, but she's happy for me to give it a go if I feel the small % in benefit would be worth any se's. She said we'll discuss it in more detail towards the end of rads. She mentioned Zoladex (?) to supress my ovaries...to which I asked 'can you not just take them out?' She said that was probably the best option for me, she just wasn't sure if I'd be keen...but I am!...stuff injections every month!! If I'm going to have an early menapause within the next 5 years anyway then I'm as well getting it out the way now!!

I've also been referred to the Lymphodema specialist for my elephant arm & to the genetics team for testing. Fingers Xd that test comes back negative...really don't fancy another mx!!..and I'd be devastated by the implications a positive result could have for my daughter....and my sons too.

so, I now have to think long & hard whether or not Tamoxifen would be beneficial/worth it.....EEK! I think that'll be a hard one to decide. And I have an oompherectomy (sp), recon, maybe a new nipple & possible boob job on my real boob all to look forward to! Can't wait! ;o)

Lynn, good luck with your tats on Monday....I've always wanted to get a tattoo...d'ya think they'll do my kids names in lovely script writing on my wrist for me too?? PMSL...I think I'll have to do with wee black dots like everyone else..how artistic!

Good Luck to everyone with chemo & rads...anyone who's in between the two...ENJOY...I'll be joining you a week tomorrow!! YAY!!

Hazel xx

Highlighted

Hi Ladies YIPPEE half way through, had fourth EIP Monday next CMF 4. on next 3rd week having C then C the following week which counts as 1 cycle don't know anymore yet, weird but quite looking forward to the change as been told not as bad as EIP, which is very searching and I've had the last two cycles reduced, though SEs weren't any better.Did I read sometime back about a brownish mark on vein site also anyone had red palms, soles of feet, face and chest, last usually 24hrs, any answers please?
Well that's all about me, selfish madam,I am getting a real chemo brain (one of my nurses call it baby brain I feel quite insulted daft what? I think really it's because she's not long had one)
How you doing Marli?
Well done to everyone finishing tox and good luck on the Rads.
Helen, Jane, Looci, Lyn hope everythings well for you.
Welcome to the new recruits, I never would have got this far mentally with out this lovely group, so you're really in good hands.
Sorry about the length of this, hopefully my brain will return soon LOL. Cheers everyone Love Kath XX