A few words of encouragement

Dear Ladies,

I just wanted to come on to this thread to give you some encouragement and advice. I had six rounds of chemo last year from June to October. I found it became easier each time. The first time I felt very unwell and lethargic,and ended up in hospital for a few days,  but I told the nurses all my symptoms and they gave me medicines to counteract this. By the third cycle they had my meds right, and it wasn’t too bad. I found it really helpful to write the dates of the chemo in my diary followed by eg ’ halfway there’ , ’ only one more to go’ ’ last one’!

On my first chemo I met two other ladies in the chemo department who were also having chemo. I know they meant well but they started saying that I would never feel the same again, I would always feel tired, my brain wouldn’t function properly again. As someone who was energetic, loved my career as a dentist, and went to the gym every week, I was really upset and stressed. But, I can tell you, Ladies, they were wrong! I had my last chemo on 10th October and I went back to work in January, I am doing a short run on the running machine once a week, and my old energy and zest for life has returned! I really feel like I have my life back, and I feel positive and optimistic!!! If anything, I appreciate life even more than I did before. 

So, hang on in there. In a few weeks/ months you will be over this and moving forward. I will be thinking of you all and remembering how grateful I was for the lovely ladies on this forum helping me through my treatment and low days. Best wishes to you all.

Jane xxx

I just wanted to say how deeply I appreciated your words of encouragement. 

I really wish you continue to thrive and congratulations on returning to work!

Thank you so much for this!

I am recovering from a mastectomy and was shocked to hear that I may need to have chemo (they found invasive cancer as opposed to just dcis). I find out in 5 days time whether I’ll need chemo. I am scared stiff of it and can’t bear the thought of being forever changed by all the side effects.

I have been scouring the internet looking for any kind of chink of light to help me stay positive as my anxiety grows. It was lovely to read such a reassuring post.

Thank you xx

Oh Janie, I wish I’d read this before I wrote my recent post. Unlike you, I’ve experienced pretty bad side effects from the start and they’ve either stabilised or got worse, but your positive outlook is just what I needed. I’ve opted for ignorance is bliss and generally done very well so far (probably because of lifelong MH issues which have left no room to fear anything like breast cancer) but I’m at my lowest ebb ever. Thanks for your encouraging post.