cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add Aspirin trial anyone?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Add Aspirin trial anyone?

Thank you Kip and Riversidedawn for your replies,

Kip, no sympathies needed, I imagine we all have our own quirky reactions to chemo I've got a bag full of oddball side effects, none particularly serious and I'm sure they will pass as time goes on, as long as chemo has done it's job I will be thankful.

Riversidedawn, I'm so sorry to hear you are living with secondaries, I hope your present regime continues to keep you well and it's certainly good to hear that your appetite is voracious! But hey, what a mad chemo side effect? Wow, what did your onc make of the chemo reversing your digestive issues? Wonder if that has happened to anyone else with IBS etc? 

Community Champion

Sorry to hear that Holeinone. I had an opposite reaction to chemo both in 2015/6 for primary and now for secondaries. I suffered badly with IBS, bloating, pain, constipation,  food intolerances, but during and after chemo (for a couple of years) this went away. I gradually got the symptoms back again, but since being back on chemo (and having part of my small bowel removed thanks to tumours) I have no abdominal pain and can eat most things!

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Oh dear poor thing,   but more important that you sort your digestive system out.   Hope they find something to help,  hopefully with a bit of time things will settle.

Kip 

Hi Kip

Thank you for your reply, I hope you are getting along OK with the trial. Unfortunately, I have had to withdraw before I've even started as the chemo has damaged my (previously normal functioning) digestive system. I am about 18 weeks post chemo and still have issues, so wasn't willing to take more drugs before my stomach recovered. Had a lot of tummy bloating and pain, which has reduced now but still have reflux, a completely new experience for me, and some bloating and grumbly stomach. I'm annoyed about it, as I wanted to give something back but I'm possibly more annoyed at my own intolerance to the chemo! 

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Holeinone,  I'm on the Add Aspirin trial, have been on it fully for about 2 months now.  I had to take low dose 100mg of aspirin for 8 weeks I think.. To see if I coukd tolerate that and then hot randomised either placebo or aspirin...so not sure what I have.  You get extra monitoring, blood tests regularly etc. So I thought I'd do it

. On panic I have is what if they find out aspirin helps and I've been on placebo. 

Hi Holeinone

I have been asked to take part in this trial. I have a few doubts about it as my father died at 46 with stomach cancer and I have mild reflux. I am going to go ahead though as I find aspirin a good pain klller, I think i will know if I am taking the aspirin  not the placebo, if it gets rid of aches and pains from Anastrozole I am on the real thing! You have the added benefits of  being checked over more often and it may (Just may!) Keep the cancer from returning. Most of all though it will help others in the future, something good has got to come out of what we have gone through 🤨. Totally understand your reservations though after all the drugs you have had in the chemo treatment, I  escaped that. Mastectomy, radiotherapy, hormone therapy and bisphosphonate for me. Hope this helps you to make your decision (don't forget YOU in this!). Good luck in the future  get well and be happy 😁😘

Hi Holeinone

I am sorry that you havent had a response yet.  Maybe you could go back to the nurse who spoke to you about the trial and voice your concerns and questions to her?

Best wishes
Anna
Digital Community Officer

Add Aspirin trial anyone?

Hi ladies

I am coming to the end of my chemo, just had 5 of 6, and while I was having no. 5 I was approached by a nurse asking me if I wanted to join the Add Aspirin trial. 

I understand this trial has been going for a while and wondered if anyone on here was taking part? I can tolerate aspirin, however, with all the drugs I've had in the past few months, and bad chemo se's I'm wondering about it. 

Any further info anyone has would be gratefully received x