Been told my outcome will be greatly reduced because I’m overweight

I’m having chemo. Had my first cycle and not doing too bad all things considering.

i saw my Oncologist last week expecting to talk about the chemo but was told I really needed to loose weight as my outcome following all the chemo and radiotherapy would be greatly reduced. I was shocked. What’s the point of going through all the treatment and it’s not going to do any good. She was also looking to refer me for exercises at the gym. Feeling very fed up.

Anyone else been told this? 

I have only been told that being slim helps my recovery a lot, they say that every time I see someone so it must be important. Also not smoking.

Don’t you think you will loose weight automatically during chemo? I have zero appetite and can only drink sips of water and eat bits of fruit. I love alcohol, for example a nutritious Guinness, but the thought of it makes me puke.

Don’t take it personally Drummerswidow, they are just trying to help.

Hi, weight loss or gain during chemo isn’t a given. Mine didn’t change at all throughout mine. I had no sickness or loss of appetite at all. The steroids can make you put on weight but I got my oncologist to halve mine as they messed up my blood sugars too much so that probably helped.

I’ve lost 3 stone since starting chemo in May and I can’t imagine anybody putting weight on.

Drummerswidow, I don’t think you should equate "greatly reduced " with “not going to do any good” as they’re quite different. Unfortunately, being overweight is one of the major risk categories for developing breast cancer and, if you’re ER+, fat cells are the villains when it comes to producing oestrogen.

I think you have to accept that you have an active role to play in dealing with cancer rather than just being a passive recipient of treatment. I say that as someone who was cancer free for 30 years but now look back and accept that my lifestyle in the intervening years (very overweight, heavy drinker, unhealthy diet) are largely resonsible for my current situation. 

Look at it that changing your lifestyle and diet is about your taking control and being responsible for improving your chances of success rather than just hoping for the best.

Good luck.

I think it was very rude and insensitive of your Oncologist to make such a comment to you. losing weight is the last thing you need to be worrying about right now! 

Although being as healthy as we can will of course have its benefits ive never bought in to the you’ve got cancer due to doing X Y and Z, quite frankly that attitude drives me nuts!

We don’t do this to ourselves, We are all different shapes and sizes, come from different back grounds and follow different diets but we all have breast cancer in common.

I was slim, a non smoker, a couple of glasses of wine a week drinker, ate a healthy diet and walked miles every day with the dog but I still got breast Cancer, now adays I deny myself nothing.

Try not to dwell on it, focus on getting through treatment, that’s what is important right now. Xx Jo 

All your fight is aimed at dealing with a cancer diagnosis and you shouldn’t have to be justifying yourself to anyone. 

Ironically my very lovely Oncologist was a large lady, so that would have been an interesting conversation! 

She asked if I drank, pre diagnosis I said maybe a bottle of wine a week, right now about a bottle a night!

Her reply was totally understandable my dear! Xx 

Hi Drummerswidow,
Sometimes professionals do not communicate as well as they should & of course, there are times when we feel more vulnerable & so it’s difficult when these two things collide. However, that was certainly not helpful.
I remember being told by the onc not to gain weight & everything else in moderation on being discharged.
The most important thing is getting through treatment, there’s plenty of time later to address any issues as you wish to & as you see fit, without any guilt attached!
When it comes down to it, yes there’s risk factors, but as has already been said, anyone can be affected by this anyway.
ann x