Breast swollen and inflamed after chemo

I’m having neoadjuvant chemotherapy for a 4.2cm IDC - I have had 3x EC and 3 x Docetaxel. I just had the last on Tuesday (hooray!). My tumour didn’t seem to shrink much with the EC, but it responded really well to the first two Docetaxel - the breast softened and the tumour seemed to shrink to about 1cm (and was very soft and squidgy at that).

Since my last Docetaxel on Tuesday, my breast has become inflamed, swollen, and it’s like there’s a six cm lump in there again! It’s also painful and quite tender to touch. I went to the hospital yesterday, and they agreed I have swelling and inflammation at the tumour site, and they also did blood tests and found that my CRP was raised (an inflammation marker). The doctor said that this can be because of infection, although it can also be a sign of any other causes of inflammation. They’ve have given me a course of antibiotics in case it’s an abscess or other infection that has formed.

Has anyone had an experience like this, i.e. an abscess forming at the tumour site during neoadjuvant chemo and/or an inflammatory reaction to it? Did anyone else get swelling and tenderness in the breast after Docetaxel? The doctor in the cancer triage unit yesterday told me he couldn’t guarantee it wasn’t cancer related activity (ie the cancer coming back!) but he doubted it and thought some kind of reaction or infection more likely. But I’m worried as it seems an unusual reaction and I haven’t read about it happening to others.

I’m so disheartened as I was very positive after feeling it shrinking down so much, and now my breast is swollen and hard again. I’m telling myself it is possibly my breast reacting to cell death or tumour necrosis (honestly I think the infection route unlikely, as I don’t see how I would have gotten an abscess in there, but I guess they have to dose me up with antibiotics just in case). But of course I fear something more sinister. Any insight/experiences much appreciated

This might be relevant. ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5503457/