Burnt Tongue

Hi!

Brand new to this forum.  I’m about a week into my third (of 6 total) round of chemo.  I’m very thankful that so far side effects have been pretty minor and minimal. 

However, yesterday I began experiencing something new: the sensation of having burned my tongue.  It’s gotten worse since yesterday to the point that it’s affecting my ability to eat comfortably.  I don’t think it’s a tongue “sore”.  I got a mouth sore and it felt different.  This is the very familiar feeling of having scalded my tongue.  I can’t seem to finish a meal!  And I’m hungry! 

I’ve been Googling to find anything about this weird side-effect, but haven’t found anything. 

Super curious to know if anyone else has experienced this?  And any tips to treat or help with it?? 

Thanks!  :tongue: :fire:

v

Hi Verorox,

Welcome to the forum, I’ve found it an incredible support so I hope you will too :sparkling_heart:

So I am also just had my third round of fec Treatment this week, my tongue issues started in round 1 with sore mouth but worsened in round 2 with what I can only describe as burning, large slits appearing on the surface of my tongue and out of now where a feeling like someone has stabbed a knife through my tongue!! I am like you hungry and could not cope with cornflakes, biscuits or crisps!!

My nurse gave me 30ml Nystan oral suspension which is amazing. 1 drop on your tongue ,hold it, swill round and then swallow. You can repeat this up to 4 times a day. Phone your unit and they should be able to get you some. Don’t suffer there is always a remedy to ease my nurse always tells me :cherry_blossom: :butterfly:

Hope that helps :tongue: :fire:  and amazing news for reaching half way :star:
Take care Chuck :sunflower:

Hi verorox

Congratulations on minimal side effects so far!! Chemo destroys not only breast cancer cells but most other soft tissue that crosses its path so your mouth is extra vulnerable (as are your genitals - watch them shrink!). In addition to what’s already recommended, you might consider changing things like your toothpaste to a flavour-free one like Oranurse Which won’t sting and a child’s soft toothbrush (OK, I ended up with a dinosaur, then a pink baby blush - single tooth but they did help) to protect your gums which may be vulnerable.

As a veteran now, I really would advise you against googling anything relating to cancer for now. The results can’t take your circumstances into consideration and they can cause a lot of unnecessary anxiety. Use your breast care nurse, adjuvant oncology nurse and the forums here and at Macmillan, all trusted and balanced sources, rather than an indiscriminate search engine which is usually invaluable but, in these circumstances, not your friend.

I hope the rest of the chemo goes as well,

Jan x

I find diiflam good for pain in the mouth. It’s a side effect of chemo. 

I must have a sensitive mouth. Hope this helps.