Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chemo delayed due to low bloods

9 REPLIES 9
Stayingcalm

Re: Chemo delayed due to low bloods

Hi ladies and thanks for your kind replies 

so today we were hopeful but yet again it’s been cancelled - it’s 2 weeks since she had any chemo now and the 3rd time it’s been cancelled 

ive offered to have the children and do all the chores etc but I work 

i was thinking of maybe getting a sick note myself ( stress) as I only have7 hours of holiday left will see  - I’ve mentioned  the honey and the filgrastim 

We are waiting to here from her consultant but I agree she should stay off work

She is worried about running out of sock

pay but I guess that’s for a different forum 

thanks again x

Stayingcalm

Hi ladies and thanks for your kind replies 

so today we were hopeful but yet again it’s been cancelled - it’s 2 weeks since she had any chemo now and the 3rd time it’s been cancelled 

ive offered to have the children and do all the chores etc but I work 

i was thinking of maybe getting a sick note myself ( stress) as I only have7 hours of holiday left will see  - I’ve mentioned  the honey and the filgrastim 

We are waiting to here from her consultant but I agree she should stay off work

She is worried about running out of sock

pay but I guess that’s for a different forum 

thanks again x

Anniej
Community Champion

Hi Stayingcalm, I’m sorry to hear your daughter is having such bother. She will naturally want to get on with her treatment, but of course she must be safe. I had the same bother during my chemo and so my dose was reduced . I also had filigrasten injections to force the bone marrow into producing infection fighting white blood cells and neutrophils. I’m on Palbociclib now as I have secondaries, and that crashes my neuts too. My Onco says there’s nothing he, or I, can do. Just eat sensibly, be patient and try to get the right dosage to do the job. I have had forced rests from my drugs, but I’m very pleased to tell you my tumours are stable and haven’t grown - even though I’m on the lowest dose possible. It’s very important to stay infection free when vulnerable, so perhaps you could help  by doing child care, or shopping, or cleaning? Anything to keep your daughter germ free. Best wishes to you both. X

Mai7

Hi stayingcalm, sorry to hear your daughter is getting stressed about the delay.  I had several delays whilst on chemo due to low neutrophils and when I did finally get in the chair it was a reduced dose and I’m still here!  I was on filgrastim injections but still suffered.  The only other thing I’ve read in the news is LifeMel honey.  If you google it you’ll find several news articles and interviews on it.  I didn’t find out about it until too late but a friend took it and after having low neutrophils hers normalised.  Here’s my story which you can share with your daughter.  It may give her some comfort and reassurance:  http://lifeafterlola.com/

Cola1

My neutrophils have been low too but i take steroids the day before the dayoff and the day after chemo and when they re check them on the day of chemo the steroids have boosted them.

Dont know if thats an option for you.

blueash

Hello yes it is common, I was supposed to have 6 rounds of chemo but they stopped me after 4. I was also having Herceptin and the oncologist said that it was OK/safe to stop and he brought the radiation forward.

They can stop you as in my case OR leave you a few days longer and hope your counts come up OR weaken the dose. It is dangerous to give you  strong chemo when your blood counts are too low - remember they are trying to make you better after all

They say lots of rest and a good diet but honestly I had both and my blood was still not where it was supposed to be.

kathyx

Assuming that the second lot of chemos is one of the taxanes, many people don't actually complete the treatment. I had 9 weeks of Taxol of which I only finished 8 and I still had a complete response. 

I agree that she may be taking on too much and also increasing her risk of infection by working as well as having young children.

Jay68

Hi StayingCalm

Sorry to hear your daughter is experiencing problems with her neurophils (the things that most people never even know they have - unless you go through chemo then it all changes!) - I had chemo in May 2017 and I was an active member of the May 2017 chemo starter group - there was a lady in our group who had terrible troubles with her neurophils - she's now a Community Champion - Mai7 - I'm in contact with her now on Facebook, so I'll send her a message and see if she's able to come on here and give you some advice...  x

Joemic

Hi Stayingcalm

I can't answer your question maybe post your question in the ask the nurses section, they maybe able to guide you.

I don't know her financial position but wonder if she is getting overtired looking after 3 children and working, would she be able to stop off work for 3 or 4 weeks to see if that has any effect?

Joemic x 

Stayingcalm

Chemo delayed due to low bloods

Hi 

my daughter managed 3 x 3 weekly sessions and was on session 8 of 12 weekly ones when her chemo was stopped due to 

low neurophils 

The week after it was Ok again but this week it’s been stopped again due to the same thing 

Is there anything she can do herself? She has 3 children and still working 

Also will this have a negative effect on the chemo results ? 

She is   worried  sick  the cancer is spreading and that it won’t be as strong Also, is this normal? To keep missing chemos? Any advice please? Xx