62883members
330663posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cold Cap - did it help keep your hair?

Re: Cold Cap - did it help keep your hair?

Hi, I started THP chemo in may, used the cold cap through all 4 cycles and my hair has only slightly thinned. I've just had my first of 2XEC cycles, used the cold cap again but all I've heard is bad things about EC and FEC making hair fall out!!! Has anybody else had this drug regime and kept their hair after the change of drugs? Thanks, Skye x

Sorry to hear you've lost your hair kbomb. I've managed to keep my so far after two fec. I agree about cap size. I was quite insulted when my chemo nurse said I needed a large cap covered by a medium. I never thought of myself as having a particularly large head. 😀 I'm glad I went with it though as it seems to be working.
I'm sure you'll rock the Hollywood film star look well. 😀
I picked up my real hair wig last week and absolutely love it. I went to the look good feel good session yesterday and even the women there didn't know it was a wig. I've been wearing it even though I've lost no hair it's that gorgeous. I had my hair cut really short before chemo to ensure the best fit for the cap so the wig is giving me back my identity.

Hi KBomb you did the right thing I know I felt better after I shaved I couldn't bear watching my lovely hair just dropping out in front of my eyes so now it's gone its one less thing to worry about x yeah snap about the wig too! I need to get me one of those ASAP Smiley Happy
Melia you lucky thing hang on in there you might be one of the lucky ladies!!!!!
The Fec certainly took my Barnet thats for sure 14 days after first one xx

Well last night after constantly picking lumps of fallen locks off the baby and feeling that I was walking around balancing hair on my head, I said goodbye to it all. I got my hubby to pull out the clippers on it whilst my 5 year old danced around the room laughing at how "funny mummy looked"! After the shave I can see where the cold cap had sat and where it hadn't quite been fitted properly. The bits where I had lost hair and gone bald were around the sides and back of my head. I was resembling something of a monk with a dodgy 90's undercut. I can see where it has thinned out a fair bit on top but reckon that perhaps if the cold cap had been a bit bigger then I may have got away without losing so much. Anyway it gave my 5 year old a good giggle and my hubby says I look like Angelina Jolie now (he really does know the best things to say!) so I'm just gonna go with it. However now I am thinking I perhaps should have waited a few days and got a wig ready beforehand.... Oops! Nevermind! Now where did I put my hats?....Xxx

Vicclo what chemo regime did you have if you don't mind me asking. I'm having just the fec and I know that's supposed to be harsher on the hair... but so far so good! Congrats on keeping your hair xx

Vicclo what chemo regime did you have if you don't mind me asking. I'm having just the fec and I know that's supposed to be harsher on the hair... but so far so good! Congrats on keeping your hair xx

They won't let you cold cap once you shave I had to as mine was so patchy and thin I looked like Golum so I shaved for my sanity the nurse on chemo unit said you can't cold cap of no hair to cover scalp as it will get freezing burns, hope that helps

Good luck to anyone who is still hanging on to their hair!

Does anyone know if I were to shave my head really short, if they would still let me use a cold cap? Or is there a limit to how much hair you can have? Just wondering as it's really starting to fall out and go patchy this end. Wondering if I should just shave it off? Xxx

Just finished chemotherapy treatment for breast cancer ! Managed to keep most of my hair by using the cold cap, noticeably thinner but still look like I've a good head of hair 😊 ! X

Second daughter has the bug now... up half the night cleaning up sick! So glad no chemo today as I couldn't have managed with sickly kids on top. I swear someone is filming my life and watching it like an episode of eastenders.. so unlucky at the minute. Be really careful from day 10 angela when your bloods drop think that's when I picked up my infection. Hope you feel a little better soon mishy xx

Hope you don't catch it, there is nothing worse than a sickness bug especially when having treatment x
Day 4 and feel ugh! Wish this would go away!!! Hate being ill such an inconvenience
😠😣

By the way Kathryn. My adult daughter has a sick bug too. Too late for me to delay as 8 days since last one. 😳
Terrified of catching it. 🤞🤞

Hiya I didn't get the pic but my email address is kamelia3011@yahoo.co.uk that's really quick nice to know! I best get saving just incase. Xx

Mishy, Kathryn if yous do get wigs take a pic of how your hair was before you had it cut and he'll copy it.

Hi Melia yeah I'm getting used to baldy look! Just as well it's not permanent but wig going to be a def for me i think x hope your hair hangs in there for you the dryness is awful isn't it I got that more or less within week of first fec!

Kathryn, I think I've managed to send you pix.

P.s. It took a week from ordering.

Hi Kathryn. PM me your email address and I'll send you a pic. Not sure how to upload one onto here from my iPhone.

Mishy so glad your feeling better about your hair. I bet you look fabulous without... whereas I would resemble a Spanish footballer. Angela could you send me a pic of the wig if you don't mind. Did it take you long to actually get it from ordering? I've not ordered one yet as don't want to tempt fate. Hairs still holding on but starting to get very dry so I'm putting cocunot oil on which then makes it really greasy.. but id rather that than have it snapping! I was due 3rd fec on Thursday but my daughter has a sickness bug now so theyve delayed treatment until next week. I think my body could do with the break after hospital etc but the longer I delay the more I don't want to do anymore xx

Pleased you like your wig x something to give you back some self esteem I know what you mean about not looking like yourself any more x I have asked for a wig voucher to see what is available x but my mam has real hair wigs as she suffers alopecia has done for years so wouldn't be without them x I'm sure my eyebrows are thinning too bloody fec it's ravishing us isn't it!!

Well I took the plunge and collected my wig today. If you see this Kathryn, it's a long real hair one from tribeca. I absolutely love it. I feel like me for the first time since I had all of my hair cut off. I can't believe how realistic it is and it was half the price I thought it would be.
I haven't lost any hair yet, but definitely didn't feel like myself with my extreme short cut.
Hoping I continue to have luck with the cap, then when my hair grows back to chin length I can have extensions next year.

Yeah the kylie look, I saw a girl in the unit and she had her scarf on lovely I want to avoid the I'm on chemo look if I can! So I think I'll be hitting pinterst for some techniques, today I don't feel too bad hope you girls are going to persevere with the cap if it's working I just hope as you have got this far with it won't start to let you down, I know you will probably feel like I did if it does start it took five days from start to finish to lose majority of it so fingers crossed for you all but if it does start don't do what I did and torture yourself for an extra day looking at the very grim reflection in the mirror of it I should have probably done it that evening x but never mind I can say to you all that bald is def not as bad as the glum look I looked like I was dying!!!!
Stay strong hair buddies xx

Hi mishy. I think you're right, glam is the way forward. Some of the turbans are gorgeous.

Maybe if mine goes I'll try to pull off the kylie look (wishful thinking).
Well done getting through round two. Xxx
Community Champion

Aww Mishy so sorry it didn't work for you. I was lucky, I can't say I understand how you feel but I'm trying to. You sound very positive today, I think it just takes a bit of time to come to terms with it. Keep practising different scarf styles - there's lots to play with.

Keep going, slap on the make up and make yourself look glam x

Yeah back from number 2 feeling not to bad nurses said I did right thing shaving it off as probably couldn't have cold cap with that much hair loss she says my first dose was really aggressive so she wasn't too surprised I'm getting used to it now! I have my scarf like a retro turban from 40's/50's looks OK just need to wear make-up!

Sorry you've had to give up on the cap mishy. I've read for a lot of people hair starts to grow again on the T. So hopefully you won't be rocking the shaved look for long. To be honest, I've had mine cut so short in prep for a fall out I barely recognise myself anyway. Even though people say I suit it, every time I look in the mirror I just see a cancer cut.
The pain on the top of my head has stopped, so I'm hoping it was all in my mind.
The things we have to go through. 😳
On my way home from last chemo a lorry drove past and written on the side it said 'if you're going through hell, keep going'
I thought it was very poignant. We will make it through this and our hair will be back better than ever. 😀 X

Hi I had to shave it off last night it was horrendous it looked awful just matted clumps of hair with lots of bald patches it was making me ill looking at it! My head was hurting too so I decided that was it I couldn't disguise it as it was too bad x I hope you all have better luck with it than I have had got my second fec today so I'm hoping this one is better than the last x once mine started that was it so I hope you both have better luck I rang the chemo unit about it and they said as I have shaved it I can't cold cap anymore as it will cause scalp burns but to be honest I think I wouldn't have had enough to use it today anyway and the sight of it was causing me to have crying fits it just looked awful i filled a carrier bag on my last shed without what was hoovered up xx

How are you doing today mishy? Have you lost anymore?
I'm sure I lost more hair than usual when I washed mine this morning and now I've got a mild pain across the top of my head. 😳
Hoping this is not the beginning of a shed for me and it's just my hair paranoia. X

Ive lost probs 80 % of my hair today woke up with enough to make someone a toupee! I had a total melt down over it yesterday but this morning accept he fact that it's almost gone I would have shaved now but want to do one more cap for my follicles if the nurse will let me then when I get to week two it's coming off x

I'm gutted for you mishy. But as you say, the cap may help you in the long run. Hopefully the shed will slow down after this. 🤞🤞🤞

Awww sorry to hear this mishy. Such a shame when we u have went through the time and effort of the cold cap. I don't really have any advice as but thinking of you. This part will never be easy so definitely go out and treat yourself and make yourself feel a bit better xxx

Hi thanks for understanding I think as my next treatment is Mon I might as well do it once more then have it shaved I can't let my hair obsession hold me back in my treatment I need to be stronger than a gibbering hair wreck! So I think I will take your advice and go scarf shopping xxx

Hi again. I remember that stage well and the hair falling out was by far the worse part for me. I decided what was left didn't bare any resemblance to my hair or me.  Once I'd decided to clipper off I found it much easier to get on with treatment and one less thing to worry about. I think FEC is tough on hair. I switched my attention to my diet and eating really well and nourishing my body through all the horrid treatment. That helped me and your hair WILL come back. The thing is to get on with treatment and get better. The hair issue becomes less important. People are kind and will support you through this. Go shopping with a friend and get some nice hats and scarves. I got the wig but hardly wore it. Just wasn't me. Treat yourself to some lovely skin and makeup and hair products. I switched to plant based products and avoided anything with strong chemicals. 

Dig in you will come through this. Best wishes. X

Hair update no 3
Well my hair is abandoning me as a speak bald patches all over there are clumps strands keep failing I'm absolutely devastated tbought the cold cap was going to help me keep it, it's matted and needs a wash but I am literally scared to wash it incase more falls out having next treatment on Monday and don't know whether or not I should go for the cap just once more for my follicles or whether I will have enough left Smiley Sad
I desperately wanted it to work in their eyes they will probably say well but you still have hair but what is the actual point when it looks like this x

I need to get my hair to the back of my mind so I can deal with my next chemo x
Sorry for the whine ladies I hope you do better with it than I have xxx

Cold cap didn't help me at all. Stopped after first fec. However good luck!

Thanks good to know, you know I have said I will persevere once more as you said you believe the cold cap helps with new regrowth which was what bothers me most, but I I will do the shave once bald patches appear as with thick hair it can be more visable at least I know the Fec is working as I will lose everything to prevent a recurring cancer x

Hi Mishy

Just to say I am nearly two years on from Diagnosis now. Stage 3 advanced to nodes. have had a full mastectomy and received high dose FEC and radiation. I used the Paxman system (we live near where the company is based) I managed two cycles of FEC using the cold cap. I found it really tough and after the second cycle my hair came out in huge clumps. as I had masses of hair before it was very noticeable and distressing. At that point I decided to clipper off what was left (with my hairdresser- she was marvellous) and do scarves with funky hats. I was lucky as this was through the winter and I love wearing hats. It was the best thing I did and felt totally liberated. I completed the third cycle of FEC without using the cap.

My hair is now fully grown back. Thick and wavy as it used to be and I have it in a shoulder length bob.

I use an organic wash in hair dye that is very gentle and have the ends regularly trimmed.

It started to grow back straight away so I was never really completely bald. I'm convinced it was the cold capping that helped even though I had a lot of hair loss and only managed two cycles. I'm sure it helped protect the hair folicles and root growth area.

So keep persevering and dont worry if you don't manage all cycles with the cold cap. It will have helped.

Best wishes xx

That's brilliant I hope this one on Monday is fine I'm looking forward to having an easier time! Yeah I nearly gave in yesterday and got it all cut off but decided to hold off and have a bit of faith in my Barnet going to fill the rest of my good week in the garden and having a trip to the coast!
Yeah maybe it's better to avoid public transport if you can you should get someone to take you to maggies for a coffee it's really nice x
Hopefully the weather will fair up so I can do some gardening x

I'm also using the paxmam mishy. I invested in the paxmam shampoo and conditioner as well as apparently it stimulates hair growth. Whatever conditioner you're using they advise you only need a coin size worth combed through your damp hair.
Although, Kathryn has been lathering hers and is having great success. 😀
I really do think it's because your hair is so thick. After everything I've read I'd think the shedding will ease off for you soon. 🤞🤞🤞🤞
If you've got lovely thick hair, hopefully it should hide the loss.
I called sunderland hospital yesterday and they've added me to the look good waiting list. I just thought, if I'm having a dodgy day it's less for me to travel.
However, I almost feel like I'm tempting fate saying it, but this second dose has been even less nasty than the first (so far). I was doing some pretty heavy gardening by yesterday afternoon. Feeling extremely lucky, I really feel for those of us who it isn't being so gentle on. Maybe it'll be the T that knocks me out 😳
Angela x
Community Champion

Keep positive about the cap ladies. I shed what seemed like masses of clumps after first fec and then no more! Combover and loose ponytail worked for me x

*your hair

No no don't shut up about your... we are all hair sisters! Seems that's all I'll talk about to anyone who will listen. Keep the faith mishy sounds like u havw plenty to lose mine is really fine but lots of it so looks thicker than it actually is. All I am doing is keeping permanently positive about keeping mine I try not to let it enter my head that it might go. It's the only thing I can manage to keep positive about. Angela my nurse is lovely was so patient and nice thank God. Maybe it's fate that I was in hospital this week as my usual nurse was on holiday. I really want her Every time as she makes sure it's the correct cap etc maybe another nurse wouldn't have xx

Yeah just to add the nurse tried a couple on me before she turned it on used the pax man, a man came in as I was finished and it was his third round and still had hair so I'm baffled! I'm hoping it's because my hair is really thick that it's normal to shed this much but it hasn't stopped since yesterday, I'm so gutted as I have put so much energy into keeping it! Washing it properly and everything mind they did say that my first fec was an aggressive dose so maybe but anyway I will shut up about my hair for now fingers crossed eh!!!

Hiya my daughter came with me anyone can use the centre if having treatment in north east you just ring them and make an appointment they are on a Monday every four weeks I just called in myself for a cuppa and asked if I could sign up for one, they have lots of different drop in things going on aswell as classes of yoga nd stuff! You and your family or friends can go it's lovely the staff are all lovely try it!
Yep thick hair thankfully cos its shedding like mad every time I move I shed just strands but constant, I hope it worked but I have a terrible feeling it's not going to stop I've been dredding this bit but I will plod on with it in hope it will stop after this one x if I get a bald patch anywhere visible and have to start some horrible comb over I will have to admit defeat and go for the shave......

I've been thinking the same about pulling out for a wig. I think I'll see how this week goes following
Yesterday's chemo. If mine thins at all you'll be able tell especially these days with not being able to use products or a hair dryer. I can't complain though. It seems our chemo nurses are really putting the effort in to get us a good fit with the cap. X

Sounds like were having very similar success im.having my mam wash my hair and she's saying she can see new hair growth! I would think the chemo wasn't working if I hadn't been so I'll! But I would honestly spend a week in hospital than lose my hair. Is it worth buying the wig I really don't think you will need it if you havw kept this much so far even if it thins a bit Now would it not still look ok. Xx

I feel for you Kathryn. We all hope for a smooth ride. Hopefully they can get on top of whatever has caused the problems this time round so next session in kinder to you.
I haven't lost at hair yet. Second session yesterday. In fact I'd say it's even grown. I didn't think I'd lost any from elsewhere either but hubby pointed out that I've definitely lost quite a lot (probably too much info). Really hoping I get through this week without a shed. Nurses said they were surprised I hadn't lost any yet and that this is usually a very good sign, so fingers crossed for us both. I've got another tribeca appointment next Tuesday to pick up my real hair long wig. Bit nervous about how much it's going to set me back but couldn't of coped with the short synthetic. I felt I looked ridiculous. It was an awful feeling. I had to fight back from the bottom lip wobble. Nothing else through this whole episode has made me actually cry.
I feel good today apart from period cramp and a bit of a flushed face, which I think I got last time round off the steriods. Temp is normal.
Hoping they'll have everything under control for you soon so you can get on with the next round. X

I've been meaning to sign up but hospital visits have got in the way of that. Angela my hair is still staying should have been due my second chemo today. Of course I'm delighted about it but completely baffled I haven't even had a shed I'm losing less hair than I usually do. Not complaining though! Maybe determination and stubbornness do pay off after all haha. How is yours doing?

I'm neutropenic... there were treating me for sepsis but can't find a source for infection. I came in feeling unwell and with a temp last Tuesday expecting be sent straight home and im still hereSmiley Sad they sent me home last Thursday but I was back in within 3 hours with same thing. So I think they are being ultra careful with me now and don't want to send me home to soon. Just waiting on bloods coming up so I can hopefully come home! So glad my hair is staying at that would have tipped me over the edge xx

Hi mishy.
My hair is thin anyway. I've moaned about it all of my life, but now it seems it might be helping me with the cap as it's tight to my head.
It would make sense that the thicker your hair is then maybe the cap wouldn't be as tight to your scalp? It should also be a lot less noticeable when you shed. It wouldn't take much shedding for me to be bald. 😳

How did you sign up for the look good session? The chemo nurses keep saying they'll get me the info but so far I haven't had anything.
Did you go alone or take someone with you? Not sure I want to get the metro on my own, but think I would rather go to the maggies centre than to my local one in Sunderland, as I've heard lovely things about the centre but nothing about sunderland's.

Well everyone still shedding I got a bed cap to help no clumps or bald spots thank God or it would be coming off know how you feel about the wig mind I haven't got one yet dredding the thought of one I still have alot bot quite a bit has shed thank God it's thick I will keep you posted on it though I hope it bloody worked!
Feeling alot better ready for another blast on Monday and yeah the look good thing was good you should sign up for it the maggies centre is lovely it's located in the Freeman hospital x