62883members
330663posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cold Cap - did it help keep your hair?

Re: Cold Cap - did it help keep your hair?

Hi JA48.
Hoping today goes well for you. It was a relief to get my first one out of the way early this month. It wasn't bad at all. Just a bit boring. I took plenty of snacks and water. Don't forget a 500 paracetamol about an hour before capping. The icy feeling will wear off after about 15 mins and you'll forget you're wearing a block of ice.

Thank you for all your posts ladies.  First chemo today,  will be using a cold cap,  it's so good to read about your experiences. 

Hi mishy.
When I had my second fec yesterday the nurse told me it was very unusual to have no shedding. She says when she usually applies the conditioner for cold cap there is always some hair on her hand. So hopefully that's all you'll get. Light shedding.
I can imagine how you feel though. I'm so paranoid about losing any.
I went to try on my short synthetic wig yesterday and was shocked at how emotional it made me feel. I just wanted to run away. I hated it. I then tried on a real hair, longer one and felt so so much better.
Looks like hubby will be paying at least 700 instead of 200. 😳And hopefully it will be a very big waste of money as I won't need it.
How are you baring up now?
And Kathryn, how is your hair doing and are you out of hospital yet? I hope it's nothing serious. X

Oh no well hopefully it's just a small shed! I bet that course cheered you up I've seen the good bags you get If your on Facebook you should come join us on there I think I might havw seen u mention it in the chemo starters group xx

Well girls I have started casting hair like a lab Smiley Sad started yesterday not clumps just strands of hair I keep finding hair on my clothes or if I touch it, not enkuyto get out the clippers but enough to make me think oh no here we go is this it! Hopefully it's just a small shed!

Kathryn I feel OK this week first week was horrible SE sent me to hospital for a few days so knocked me of my feet a bit, the Onc has tweeked the red stuff for next one which is Monday so fingers crossed

Went to a look good feel good at Maggies yesterday was really nice met lots of nice ladies and got a lovely goodies bag of make-up and perfume all good stuff to bring home, you should definitely both sign up for one!

Hope you are better soon Melia and both of you keep well x

I haven't heard of shedding after round 2 either I hope I'm not an exception. I'm actually amazed with results so so grateful it's staying as think that would tip me over the edge at the minute. I've brought my hair net and silk pillowcase to hospital with me haha. I don't care how ridiculous i look as long as I keep my hair. My next chemo is delayed due to being in here. I hope they just tell me that I don't need anymore:/ wishful thinking xx

Yeah, five days in hospital doesn't sound good. Hope you're back on track Kathryn. Keeping your hair so far is excellent though. 🤞🤞🤞I've never heard of anyone staring to shed on round three.
Hi mishy. House move is a nightmare. We knew the house was bad when we bought it (worst house on best street we could afford). We're literally stripping it back to brick. I haven't got time to be ill so hoping round two is as kind to me as round one. How are you getting on? X

Well Melia that is great nearly round 3 and still your hair Smiley Happy sorry you have been in hospital I wasting my first week!! But glad we are all OK Kathryn How's the house move and good luck for round 2 x

That's great news, I lost body hair just before second cycle..ive been waiting for a big shed this second time round and still nothing. Im astounded.. I expect to wake up to handfuls on the pillow but the longer it's going on the more confident im feeling about keeping it. Glad yours is doing well too. Hope the move is going well xx

Hi Kathryn. I've been off the forum for a week as just moved into a new house (building site) so not much time on my hands.
Thought I'd check in today to see how you were doing with your hair and noticed your post to me.
I've not lost any (anywhere) yet.
I'm due my second fec tomorrow and have noticed some people don't start to lose any until after the second dose, so who knows what this week might bring.
Great that yours is still in tact. I'm obsessing over mine. It's been pretty hard not washing it daily while our new house is in such a state. Walls being knocked down etc. I'm starting to feel like swampy.
Angela. X

Hey that's great news mishy. I've done 2 cycles now was due my next one on Tuesday... but that's been delayed due to being in hospital for 5 days...but tagta another story :/ my hair is staying firmly stick to my head so im delighted with results so far xx

Hi Melissa it's day 14 for me after first fec I could capped too and so far so good although I hear it's around now u start losing hair so I'm bracing myself! My down below has already Started! Probably too much info but I left it on purpose to see if that fell out too and it's already happening Smiley Happy so every cloud eh!!! I will keep you posted on hair on head situation!

Angela how are you getting on with the cold cap?.x
Community Champion

Hi emilysmom, sorry to hear about your daughter. The hospital should have cold cap for you to use. They seem to keep quiet about it, probably because it takes much longer to give chemo than without it.

There are lots of different makes available. Some you have several caps which you freeeze then keep changing them every 20 mins. Most of us have used the Paxman one which is plugged into a portable freezer throughout chemo. You put the caxp on about half hour before and keep it on for an hour or so after.

My hair thinned all over, no bald patches.

Good luck. Hope it goes well x

My daughter has stomach cancer and will be receiving epirubicin which will cause her to lose her hair.  She is just getting started on the chemo meds this next week.  Where do we obtain the cold caps?  I've not heard anything about them.

Digo that's fantastic.....nice to see a positive outcome from all of this. What treatment did u have? X

I've now completed my 6 chemo sessions and used cold cap throughout, I'm totally astounded with my hair, I actually can't believe how much I have, my hair isn't patchy or particularly thin, it was the Paxman that was used for me, hospital staff were tremendous and reassured me always. Anyone about to embark on their journey must choose for themselves but I'd recommend to give it a go👍🏼

Hi surrey girl. I thought I had to have both. So I've been wearing the horrible sweaty cap and soaking my lovely silk pillow case. I'm going to wash it today for the first time since cold cap on Tuesday. Can't wait. X

Hi, I was recommended to get a silk pillowcase as it helps keep your hair & a side benefit is no face creases in the morning! Worked for me. Never wore a cap in bed x

Oh really hope I've not put too much on so as to stop the freezing happen. I think I actually put more on this time. I guess time will tell :/ xx

Gateshead are just using the paxmam. I took my own paxmam conditioner and they said the paxmam owners daughter had been in and advised that you only need to use a really small amount of conditioner once the water is on. I've got quite thin hair though so doesn't take much to flatten it. And as it's going to well for you, I'd probably keep lathering it on. X

Yeah mine is the same, I haven't had ice on my head after either session I don't know if that's a good think or not bit I do out like nearly a half a tub of conditioner in my hair ha. They said they are using a new machine at my hospital and are having great success with it so filled with lots of hope. I found the second session worse than the first for some reason xx

And still no hair loss woop woop still got hair paranoia... hoping the cap was fitted as well as last time. I couldn't have the strap as tight as last time as it was making me feel sick but still had it fairly tight xx

Everything I read says expect a slump about day four or five? I was really surprised at how easy I found the cap. It was a bit uncomfortable for the first 15 mins, then at some points i actually thought the machine had stopped working. I was amazed to see ice on my head when I was over. I managed to eat through it though ( with difficulty) hoping it was tight enough. I was paranoid that there was a bubble at the back of my head where it wasn't touching. They kept reassuring me it was tight, but I still kept pushing it down. They left it on for 30 mins prior and 90 after. Is yours the same? X

And still no hair loss woop woop still got hair paranoia... hoping the cap was fitted as well as last time. I couldn't have the strap as tight as last time as it was making me feel sick but still had it fairly tight xx

Well we will be feeling pretty much the same I imagine... I was really tired yesterday but feel fine today and tomorrow I expect my steroid buzz haha. Be prepared u may slump physically and emotionally after the steroids stop. I did last time bit only lasted a few days. I am so hungry too, eat while u want too as much as u can as u may not fancy much later on in the week. How did u find the cap ? Xx

Thanks for the tip Kathryn. Unfortunately I'm not on Facebook. I closed it down a couple of years ago. First chemo went well. Felt like I'd been to a rave for a couple of hours this morning, but fine now. Soo hungry though. I'll have to keep an eye on that.
Hope yours went well. Things should be looking good for you if you haven't had any hair loss yet. 🤞🤞🤞

U couldn't wear the night cap as found it too hot also. Try a hair net instead I got mine off Amazon for a couple of pound and fits really well and is still on every morning. Are u on Facebook? Private message me your details and I'll add you to a lovely little group we have goinf for people just starting chemo. Made by a lady on here. How your first chemo went ok I had my second yesterday cx

P.s. Yes, I mentioned to him there was another lady off the forum due in later and that you were desperate to keep your lovely hair. He says he had six wig fittings that day. The man on reception says they're getting so busy with bc women it's almost worrying. 😳

Morning Kathryn.
I've ordered a wig from
Tribeca. He advised, because I've cut my hair so short it wouldn't be worth buying real hair as the synthetic will look just as authentic. So £200 instead of around 500 to 700.
If yours is still long, that's a lot to pull out for something you might not need. Here's hoping you'll keep it all, and if not that you'll keep enough that you won't be able to notice.
I had my first chemo yesterday and wore the bed cap thing last night. I woke up about 3am with it stuck to my head in sweat. 😳 Horrible. X

Angela how did your tribeca visit go, he mentioned he's had a lady in before me who's also cold capping... I said I know haha. My hairs still hanging on at the minute so I'm going to wait to buy one xx

Hi Amanda, I'm so glad you found my experience helpful, it makes it so worthwhile using this forum! If you need any other tips/support do please let me know. Wishing you all the best in your treatment, and let me know how it goes. If you do need chemo remember it's zapping all those nasty cancer cells!!  🙂Take care xxx

Hi Gill... Thank you so much for sharing your experience and tips which has given me hope if I have to have chemo. I am still waiting to hear as I was only diagnosed last Thursday and have been told that I will have a lumpectomy and radiation initially but then dependant on other tests such as my HER2 results they will br able to establish other treatment for me.... dreading chemo as I don't want to lose my long hair (down to my mid back). I hope yours continues to work and that you make a full recovery Gill, take great care of yourself- Amanda xxxx

Haha. I feel like bleeping all of the time
Kathryn. Obviously im having fec-me instead of fec-t. 😳
Hoping tribeca does wonders for us without clearing out the bank balance. 🤞🤞

Forgot you can't swear on here.... shame haha. The word bleeped out Is sh*t

I'm also there on Monday but at 11.30 has to change it from 10.30 as have pre chemo or I would have probably seen you! Seems it varies with different hospitals with how helpful and how much you get! Trust us to get the **bleep** stick being in the north east! I had my recon done at the qe and I'm really pleased with the way my boob looks though the scars seem a lot redder now im on the chemo xx

Hi mishy, yes I'm at the QE. I've had the rest of my treatment there so thought I might as well have it all under one roof. Although apparantly the radiotherapy is only carried out at the Freeman so I'll be there for that, and I would like my reconstruction carried out there as well as I've heard really good things about the plastic surgery.

I had my pre assesment (bloods etc) nearly three weeks ago, it's taken this long to get my ward visit monday 3rd and then straight in for chemo the next afternoon.

I'm cold capping so maybe I wouldn't of been entitled to a voucher anyway. Like you, I'm worried about the gollum look. I not overly keen on wearing a wig either, but I really wouldnt be comfortable wearing head scarfs. I couldn't stand people looking at me thinking 'she's got cancer'. I'm just not brave enough for that.

Carole, your hospital sound generous and on the ball when it comes to making sure you have the things you need. I cant tell you the hours I spent trawling the internet looking for advice. I didnt even know what  a softie was until I came home with one boob and wondered how I was going to wear a bra. x

I've found my hospitals pretty generous with things.  They referred me to a wig service despite saying I was going to cold cap, which meant I got £120 off price of a wig.  Therefore I only paid £40. It is synthetic but the guy recommended this as it is so much easier to look after, stays in style and doesn't need any styling.  I'm quite happy with it. 

My BCN gave me half a dozen softies after surgery.  Yesterday I had a PICC fitted and they've given me a prescription for the waterproof Limbo cover for showering. That saves me £18 buying one. 

So I've no complaints on this side of things. 

Feal the fear are you having your treatment at QE? I'm starting mine at Freeman on 10th having my assessment and ward thing on Monday I couldn't have a voucher either I'm trying cold cap but well aware I could end up looking like gollum so would still shave it off if I end up with baldy patches all over! Not allowed a voucher when cold capping!

Hi Kathryn.
Yea, nightmare getting anything. I came away from mastectomy without even a softie. Had to ask what I needed on here and buy everything online. I didn't have a clue.
Apparently I can't have a voucher towards a real hair wig. Only the hospital recommended fake ones. And yes, I've got an appointment at tribeca 9am Monday before my chemo ward visit. 😳
I've heard he's really good too. I know a couple of people who have had his wigs and say they're fantastic. X

Can anyone remind me what the cold cap times are for fec, I know it's half an hour before. Im.jjst sitting here thinking and sure mine was only kept on an hour after the drugs, is this right or should it be an hour and a half ? And is this just to 'defrost' the cap wasn't stuck or anything and slid of easily after the cap x

I didn't know that about the dry shampoo, I used Batista. I don't know of a chemical free one. Why won't they give u a voucher for that surely it's up to you what you buy! It's a total nightmare trying to get anything from them isn't it. Where are you going for it In going to a place called tribeca in Boldon, supposed to be really good xx

Hi Ladies,

My chemo nurses advised me not to use a dry shampoo between washes as they contain lots of chemicals. I found I could manage anyway with twice weekly hair washing. x

Thanks for the encouragement slowski.
Melia, I'm relieved you're not finding the chemo too bad. Well done for managing only two washes in 26 days. 😳 If I go two days I look like I've been caught in the rain. I'm going to buy some dry shampoo but I'm worried about the chemicals. Really struggling to find any info on what brand I should buy.
I want a real hair wig and apparently Gateshead won't give me a voucher towards that. I have an appointment Monday morning at a salon that does them. Have a feeling it's going to be pricey. Kind of pleased my hair is short now as it might not cost as much. Cancer is expensive. X

Hi angela, still not been offered a voucher from my chemo nurses and reluctant to ask again. I've got an appointment at a wig shop on Monday so I'll get a fair idea of prices etc though im hoping I won't need one at all. I go from feeling totally positive and that I'm not going to lose a single hair to I'm going to look like friar tuck! As most say that's where they lose it. I've not started shedding yet but dreading it I'll freak out if it falls out in handfuls. I've only washed my hair twice 16 days since chemo With the help of my mam, I haven't used the shower but used a jug like when I was a kid! I did put dey shampoo on last week as the grease was horrific and I had to go to a party I just sprayed it and left it overnight as didn't want to rub it.. and combed out Next morning. My hair better bloody survive as it's getting treat really well haha. Also the chemo has been fine apart from really tired for a couple of days. It was the low moods I struggled with more, this doesn't seem to be listed as a side effect but everyone I've spoken too said they suffer this... so just to prepare you. I think it's the steroid come down. Good luck for starting let me know how u get on with the cap. Kathryn x

I just wanted to encourage you cold-cappers; I shed quite a bit of hair two and a half weeks into my first FEC but that was really the bulk of the hair loss throughout 3 FEC and 3 Docetaxal. I kept about 40% of my hair and now, 8 weeks after final chemo am wearing headbands just to keep it and the new hair in order as its quite fluffly and unruly. I did find it very uncomfortable, although as others have said its the first 10-15 minutes in particular, and I always dosed up with paracetamol beforehand. By chemo 6 I was unsure I could face it again but I did, and with hindsight I'm so glad I did. So don't be discouraged by early hair loss ladies !

Hi Melia
I hope you're coping okay with the chemo. Mine starts next Tuesday at Gateshead. I'm also trying the cold cap. My bc nurse says to expect to start losing it around week 4 to 6. She also said most of the ladies she knows who cap lose around 40%. That doesn't actually sound too bad. 🤔
Did you get a back up wig? I remember how determined you've been from the beginning to keep your hair.
Are you using a dry shampoo between washes?
Angela. X

*shed not she's

Hi I'm day 15 of my first fec, lost no hair as of yet. When should I expect my first big she's? I've got total hair anxiety waiting and wondering :/ x