Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cold cap

12 REPLIES 12
Susanmanchester

Re: Cold cap

@Guest user wrote:

I'm just about to start chemo & a bit worried about the Cold cap, I've read that they make you cold, did you find this. Why do you need to take painkillers?

The cold cap freezes the hair follicles to avoid hair loss . For the first 10 minutes it numbs the head and can be painful so some women take paracetamol . I find it more uncomfortable than painful but it passes 

Guest user
Not applicable

I'm just about to start chemo & a bit worried about the Cold cap, I've read that they make you cold, did you find this. Why do you need to take painkillers?

Susanmanchester

@blueash wrote:

I did a cut and paste from when someone asked why I got such good results, here it is:

Wash once about a week after chemo with cool water and NOT under a shower.

Pat dry DO NOT RUB.

Give about 4 squirts of a leave in conditioner.

Comb with a wide tooth comb

THEN LEAVE IT ALONE until the next week and repeat.

The more you fiddle with it the more it sheds. Do that routine even after your last chemo and only go "back to normal" as in under a shower, more than one wash, wash out conditioner, hair dryer, straighteners or whatever a good month after your last treatment - but I left it 6 weeks.

Just want you to know following your tips and v helpful - also made sure cap tighter for 2nd FEC and so far so good switching to less toxic chemo after next so fingers crossed 

blueash
Community Champion

I did a cut and paste from when someone asked why I got such good results, here it is:

Wash once about a week after chemo with cool water and NOT under a shower.

Pat dry DO NOT RUB.

Give about 4 squirts of a leave in conditioner.

Comb with a wide tooth comb

THEN LEAVE IT ALONE until the next week and repeat.

The more you fiddle with it the more it sheds. Do that routine even after your last chemo and only go "back to normal" as in under a shower, more than one wash, wash out conditioner, hair dryer, straighteners or whatever a good month after your last treatment - but I left it 6 weeks.

blueash
Community Champion

I used it with great success. Take a painkiller about 20 mins before they put it on.

Susie B

Hi MrsJ13

I've just completed my 3rd round of FEC and used the cold cap. I've got short, thick hair and my hair dresser left the top fairly long when I had my final trim before chemo. I lost quite a lot of hair after my first session, resulting in a couple of fairly large bald patches, but this may have been because the cap wasn't fitted tightly enough or I didn't spend as much time after chemo finished with the cap on. Since then the hair loss has been reduced and is coming out more evenly. I would definitely go for it. Top tip, take a couple of paracetamol an hour before cold capping. It was recommended by my bc nurse and was really effective. Hope this helps. Good luck.😊 

mini mad

Hi,  was told if you suffer from headaches/migraines not a good idea to try the cold cap.

good luck whatever you decide. xx

Daisy2000

Then do it Donna! That’s probably why they’ve suggested it if you have thick hair. It is tough and reduced me to tears at times but!!!!! DO IT. I felt normal and it helped me get over this quicker.

Mummyto7

Hi I had my treatment in 2014, gave up with the cold cap halfway through... my hair is quite fine though, but the cap didn't work for me, I ended up shaving it off.

Worth a try if you can persevere  with the cap, it's not easy.

good luck 

Jo. 

daisydi

Hi I am in the middle of chemo had two FEC so far with another one next Monday followed by 3 x T.  I have cold capped and so far I have lost minimum hair.   I suppose it could all change next week but its definitely worth giving it a go if you dont want to lose your hair because if you dont try it you will definitely lose it.  I also have thick hair and would try anything to keep it.  So far so good.  If you do use it make sure that it fits really tight on the top of your head.  Good luck x

MrsJ13

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. If you could send pics that would be amazing thanks. I have a mid length Bob style hair cut but my hair is really thick so was considering the cold cap 

Thanks

Donna

Daisy2000

Hi J13,

i cold capped during chemo and it was extremely successful. I had pretty thick hair to start with and it allowed me to save my hair. Nobody was even aware I was undergoing treatment! It is tough to do as it’s extremely cold in the head but ask for a sedative and you will be OK. It also saved most of my eyebrows too.

im happy to send you pics of my hair at end of treatment to let you see the impact it had on me!

MrsJ13

Cold cap

Hi, I am due to start chemotherapy next week and the nurses have been suggesting the cold cap.....has anyone used this? Heard mixed reviews about it so just looking for some advice please

Thank you

Donna