367084posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doxetaxol and steroids

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Doxetaxol and steroids

Just a wee update for anyone interested. I attended oncology before doxetaxol and asked onc re dexamethasone. The Doc had forgotten and thanked me for the reminder . I was prescribed 4 x 2mg twice a day on the day before chemo, on chemo day and day after chemo so I’m glad I mentioned it. I had no dexamethasone in my infusion.

As Shi mentioned it’s really important to note that this obviously varies from person to person. In my case I had a previous reaction to my very first infusion in 2012 (lower back pain on administration) and so this may be related to amount of steroids taken and timing. The reason I’m posting is just to give a wee heads up to others that it’s worth noting down questions prior to your chemo to make sure everything is in place. There were other areas of concerns at my onc appointment (breast infection) so that is where the focus had been hence the oversight.

Hopefully this post will help anyone also with questions surrounding steroids etc.

Thanks that’s really helpful. I was just worried I’d turn up at Onc appt. to find out chemo couldn’t happen because I hadn’t taken steroids. I tried lots of different phone numbers today but no one could give me an answer. I’ve had one chemo delayed alReady so am desperate to keep on track and be able to have a glass of fizz on Christmas Day.

xxx

Hi Marie. I had my first Docetaxel after 3 rounds of FEC last week. For the first dose you don’t take the steroids before it, I had to ask the oncologist the same question. So you just turn up as you did when you were on FEC, having taking your odenestrone an hour before treatment. They’ll give you the same amount of steroids you had with FEC to take after your treatment (2 tablets twice a day for 3 days) AND steroids to take before and after your next dose of Docetaxel (Treatment 5). Does that make sense? I don’t know why they don’t change the steroids for the first round of it but they’ll give you the extra steroids to take before your second dose of it.

Good luck with it - I hope treatment goes smoothly xx

Have you tried asking in one of the “monthly” threads on here, or in any Facebook breast cancer support groups? They might be able to answer more quickly. I hope you’re able to find out soon!

Thanks. I think they give you those times in EC so it doesn’t interrupt sleep. With doxetaxol it’s to prevent a reaction so It might be different. But thanks so much for replying.

I have gotten nowhere with my local hospital.

I was told 8am and 1pm when taking dexamethasone on EC. (It starts on the day after for EC, not beforehand like on Docetaxel.) I would assume the time of day would be the same —  it’s just the amount and the actual days that change. 

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I have still not been able to get an answer from any of the people I’ve contacted. I wonder if anyone who is currently on doxetaxol can advise what time of day they are required to take dexamethasone before doxetaxol the following day. There is a protocol but I can find nothing online regarding timing. I am due to see oncologist the day before but at lunchtime and I’m worried this could be too late.

Community Champion
Community Champion

Marie ❤️Ring your team in the morning and ask ❤️ Everything is tailored to you specifically so as you know check with them ❤️😘💕💕Shi xx

Doxetaxol and steroids

Quick question: I had Doxetaxol before and recall taking dexamethasone the day before it was administered. Can anyone advise the timing of this? I am due to receive this on a Thursday but haven’t been given any steroids. I have an appointment with the Onc the day before so I might get them then but I’m worried I’ll have missed a dose. I can phone the ward tomorrow but just looking for a quick memory jog.

Thanks