EC & Docetaxel

Hello,

Wondering if anyone can help, please? I found out last week that I’d need chemotherapy after my post surgery results showed that what we thought was a 30mm, grade one tumour with no lymph node involvement is actually a 60mm, grade two tumour with micromets in one of my removed lymph nodes.

When I spoke with my oncologist last week via phone appointment, he told me I’d be having 6 cycles, 3 weekly. When I asked him which drugs, he said he’d send me all of the info I needed. 

On Saturday I received two information booklets, one for EC, the other for Docetaxel. However, it thought there’d at least be a covering letter to say how I’d be having them e.g. Do I start on EC and change to Docetaxel after a certain amount of sessions? Do I have them both at each session? I was just hoping for a little more clarity than a couple of information booklets!

I was wondering if anyone has had similar and can give me any information, please? I have my first session on 23rd August and I’m so nervous! I was diagnosed on 1st June and have had a mastectomy already, at no point was chemo ever mentioned so to get that news last week had knocked me for six! My way of feeling like I’m in control is to know exactly which path I’m taking for treatment and at the moment, I don’t feel like I’ve got all of the information I need and it makes me uneasy!!

Any help would be appreciated xx 

Hi Jamie , I think they usually give you 3 sessions of one drug then 3 session of the other with a 3 week gap in between each session but everyone’s plan is individual so there may be some variation . Have you been allocated a breast care nurse , if so you can ring them to discuss this .It may help to join the August chemotherapy starters thread you will get lots of support and tips from others going through chemo at the same time .Best of luck with your chemo .Jill 

forum.breastcancernow.org/t5/Chemotherapy-monthly-threads/August-2022-chemo-starters/td-p/1407016

Hello @Jamie90  

My mastectomy op was last November and I had 2 enlarged lymph nodes, but otherwise a very similar story to you. I can certainly identify with the news just getting worse and worse. 
I had 3 cycles of EC, then 3 cycles of Docitaxel, all 3 weeks apart. My last cycle of EC was delayed by a week because my neutrophils hadn’t recovered sufficiently. It’s quite common for that to happen, so be prepared for your dates to change. The EC drugs are injected slowly by a nurse sitting next to you, so it takes about 3 hours. Take a few snacks and drinks along, so you don’t have an empty stomach or get weak and hungry. I started to feel a bit queasy afterwards, so would recommend you arrange a lift home. The Docitaxel goes in through a drip infusion, and only takes just over an hour. You take high doses of steroid on the days before and after, so you might be feeling a bit wired, and not able to sleep much. 
I found listening to music and podcasts was relaxing and passed the time when I couldn’t sleep. With the EC, I was quite nauseous and couldn’t read or look at my phone or iPad. 
It’s good to keep a daily diary of how you’re feeling, so your anti-nausea medication or steroids can be adjusted for your next cycle if needed. 
Just send me a message if I can help with any more information. Sending best wishes to you on your journey, Jules XX

So sorry, this must feel like a real kick in the teeth. I had my chemo first (Exactly what you are due to have) then a single mastectomy 5 weeks ago. I had my results last Monday and along with radiotherapy, which I knew I would have, I also have to have more chemo and was gutted to say the least, so I feel for you. I cold capped throughout and lucky enough to keep 70% of my hair which I know is very vain, but it was a big thing for me.

Side effects on EC were not too bad. I had no sickness just tired and Docetaxil it was the bone ache that I struggled with but…we are all different and hopefully you’ll sail through it. 

Good luck xx 

Hi Jamie90

I hope you dont mind me jumping onto this thread, but I couldnt not reply when I saw your post.

I’m so sorry you found out about your chemo treatment by phone call (that is shocking), but I totally understand you being knocked sideways by this news and how you are feeling right now, as your experience/treatment/timeline is similar to mine.

I was diagnosed at the end of April, with lumpectomy/lymph node biopsy/partial reconstruction early in June.  I knew I would be having radiotherapy & then tablets for 5 years afterwards, but I was told that I was able to have the Oncotype test which would determine if I needed chemo or not.  I knew it was always a 50/50 chance from the result of this happening, but I thought that this was “played down” at my appointment, so to get a result of 27, which put me in the high risk category of re-occurrence, hit me so hard.

Anyway, I am also having 3 EC followed by 3 Docetaxel, and I started these last Friday.  I did manage the cold cap for the full session (I didnt find it as bad as I thought), so hoping its done some good, as hair loss is the thing I am dreading as well. Luckily, I havent been too bad since the treatment - I have had a few side effects, but I have been able to manage them.  The worst things for me have been the muscle aches off the injections (randomly sorted by an antihistamine) and the hot sweats (which I’ll mention at my next treatment as they are ridiculous). Its now just over a week and I started to feel back to normal on Thursday/Friday.

Unfortunately, I am having to go for the treatment myself, as the hospital still arent letting anyone else onto the unit at the moment.

Wishing you lots of luck with your treatment, if you have any questions, please feel free to send a message - we can do this!!!

xxx

Hi Jamie,

I too have been prescribed EC & Docetaxel , 3 cycles of each, 6 in total, 1 every 3 weeks

I was diagnosed with grade 3, one positive breast lump 14mm which was 22mm upon surgery 27-4-22 and one axial lymph node

It’s very uninformative I agree, a covering letter is definitely required to give a more detailed explanation and instructions

I started my first cycle of EC yesterday Tuesday 16-8-22 

How are you feeling now ?