Fingers and toenails

Hi                                                        
I’ve just finished having 12 weeks of Paclitaxel a fortnight ago Hooray!! and am still having Herceptin 3 weekly for another 9 months 

Has anyone experienced discolouring and numbness in toes and fingernails and how long did it last

Hi mbelizabeth

I had 12 paclitaxol …ididnt wear any varnish…my finger nails were fine… no different at the end… my toe nails all went a browny yellow colour…they didn’t go back…they just grew out…and I cut off the discoloured parts as they grew…im 12 months post chemo now…they are all back to normal.

I still have peripheral neuropathy in both my fingers and toes…my dose was lowered after number 9 …but the damage was done for me already . My onc said it is very unlikely to improve now but I’ve learned to live with it.

Hopefully yours will improve 

Take good care 

Hi

Like kitkat, lowering the paclitaxel dose was like locking the stable door after the horse has bolted! I had 9 doses and, over two years later, still have the numb fingers and toes and occasional nerve tingling along the foot. For most people it does go away but this is very early days. I’ve heard 6 months as a common experience.

Check to see what pain you experience. Try opening something cardboard like a new cereal packet or an Amazon packet and see whether the pain is distorted. Mine feels like a knife is slicing my finger, rather than cardboard. This is an indicator of neuropathic pain for which there are some good meds if it’s a problem.I’ve read of other who experience discolouration. I kept my nails varnish-free and moisturised them regularly, especially the nail base, so I escaped that. It doesn’t take long for new nails to grow so it’s a small price to pay for solving the bc. Xx