1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone had a choice about chemo?

6 REPLIES 6
Dam12

Re: Has anyone had a choice about chemo?

Thank you. This has really helped. 

Good Luck with your treatment.

Regards

Dam12

mini mad

Hi Dam12

i was in a similar situation as you in Feb 2017. TNBC, WLE and 3 sentinel lymph nodes taken.

i was also Triple Negative and had to decide to go with chemo or not.  I did have 15 radiotherapy sessions which i found  quite easy.  My percentage was on the borderline of whether chemo would be of any benefit to me and i decided to say no.

figured i didnt want 6 months of feeling unwell plus what the chemo was possibly doing to the rest of my healthy body.  I was 67 and had more of my life behind me than i had in front.

now on 2 years and have had TNBC in same breast as 2017....they are calling it a recurrence... was this back again because i didnt have chemo back then ?? They couldnt say....  Same breast but different area..  2 lumps found.. 2cms and 6cms, stage 3.    Had mastectomy and level 1 axilliary nodes removed.

appt. Tomorrow to see Oncologist and find out my treatment plan for chemotherapy...

do i regret my decision to say NO to chemo in 2017..... no i dont....  this could have returned even if i did have the chemo..... nothing is 100% guaranteed with cancer.

so i will be facing chemo over the summer months.  Fingers crossed not too many side effects.

good luck everyone 💖💖💖💖

Mangomum

Hi, 

My oncologist used the 10 year statistics to show the benefits of chemo as the 5 year one was 3 or 4 percent - but it did make quite a difference at the 10 year stage approx 7 %. My surgeon had already gone through chemo with with me due to my age and having a grade 3 cancer so I already had the fear of god in me! It does seem a lot to put ourselves through for quite small margins and even harder that the choice is ultimately ours to make. I had my first round on Monday and I was more scared than facing surgery. It has gone OK and I'm here typing this and feeling much better than I envisaged.

Mangomum 

Dam12

I’m in the same situation now.

I’m  currently week 5 post op and have to decide if I want to have Chemotherapy prior to Radiotherapy. Have been told by onc that it might help save 3 or 4% of people in my situation. so seems a lot to go through for that low %. But as my cancer is triple negative it’s this or just radiotherapy alone. What to do?? How do I decide? I’m 56 and, like you Daffydilly, I have grandchildren I’d like to see grow up. But still finding the decision really hard. I don’t feel as if I know enough about it and was expecting to be told what I need rather than have to make the choice myself!

Carol Lina

Hey, thanks for your reply Daffydilly

I am happy for you to have peace about the choice you have made. I hope I will feel the same way when I tell my nurse the decision I have made 🙂

I am also very happy for you to feel as well as possible after your chemo sessions! 

Wish you the best luck. Have a great week my dear, and thanks again.

Carol

Daffydilly

Hi caro Lina,

Im much older(64j than you so different choice. Was told chemo would give me 6% more chance of being here in 10 years. I have 3 teenage grandchildren and 2 6 month old ones so decided I wanted best chance to see them grow up too and went ahead with it . Just had 4 th session last weeek - not pleasant but not as bad as I expected as so far I’ve been reasonably lucky with side effects. Decided to try, knowing if it was too hard I could call a halt. Didn’t think I could forgive myself if I didn’t and it came back. Glad I’m past that descision as it is so hard to make. 

Wishing youluck whichever way you decide.

Carol Lina

Has anyone had a choice about chemo?

Hi ladies, (this is my second tread about it since this website has deleted my first one. 😡And I was so anxious waiting for a reply because I need to give my answer tomorrow.)

I had my first appointment with my oncologist on Friday and she told me my oncotype test score is borderline, so she gave the choice to have or don't chemotherapy. She told me about all the side effects I can have and I am so concerned. To lose my hair don't bother me at all, but she told me about the possibility to have womb cancer in the future, osteoporosis, early menopause... I'm in my early 30's, I can't imagine to be menopausal so young. I'm almost decided to refuse chemo, but I'm scared of that too.

Did anybody else have to make that decision? Did you regret of that? How did you decide? I'm so confused now.

Thanks ladies and have a nice Sunday.

Carol