74.3K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Herceptin, paclitaxel and perjeta side effects.

9 REPLIES 9
LunaMuna

Re: Herceptin, paclitaxel and perjeta side effects.

Hi Jay68

Thanks for your well wishes 😁 I'm glad to hear that you have lots of love and support around you. I too am lucky, to have a wonderful husband and my lovely children. Who are somehow keeping me sane at the moment!

I'm so glad to hear that you are out the other side and although the worry is still there, you did it!! I can't wait for this treatment to end and gain some normality back. 

I am exactly the same as you were, in the fact that I have a large area of dcis that is high grade (just my luck!) So a full mastectomy is what is on offer for me. Although I am meeting with a brilliant oncoplastic surgeon to discuss the possibility of a diep flap. And like you say, I want to do as much as I can to get rid of it completely.

My surgery will be sometime in July, I think. I have an appt on Thursday to discuss a sentinal node biopsy. I dislike the appointments with consultant as she can be a little cold and not at all reassuring, and that's what I need right now!

I'll let you know what she says, and I'll probably have a tonne of questions for you!

Thanks again for being such a help, the kindness of strangers makes my heart grow.

Xx

Jay68

Having children is one of the biggest therapies when going through this treatment.  I had my Son and three gorgeous nieces who gave me support unknowingly.  My Husband too was a pillar of strength throughout and indeed since - I really do feel so lucky.

Do you know how much I'd like to say that time takes away the worry?  Unfortunately, though it hasn't yet for me - maybe as the years go by it will - who knows.  I never was someone who suffered with anxiety - I was always "the happy go lucky" one in my circle of friends - unfortunately this whole experience has changed me - perhaps not on the outside but I definately feel it on the inside.  Saying that, I'm happy, no, delighted to be here - enjoying my life - watching my son grow into a fine young man and just getting on with living...

Yes by all means keep in touch - I think there's still a way of personal messaging - and I'm happy for you to contact me that way.  I did have lymph node involvement - they took them all away (I think it was 17 in total) there were 3 dodgy looking ones and one which definitely showed cancer had been there but was now gone!  My surgeon said "the chemo/targetted therapies had done their job and the cancer had "melted" away...."  I had a right mastectomy - although the lump had decreased in size considerably (as cancer had gone), I had a large area of high risk DCIS - and for that reason they took the whole breast away - on reflection, I'm glad they did that - I think (me personally) I'd always be worrying it would come back.  

Do you know when your operation is yet?

Well I'm pleased to have popped on here - and I'm delighted I've managed to ease some of your fears and cheer you up - it helps me to help others going through what I've already experienced.

I wish you lots of good wishes and remember you're too young and wonderful to be suffering from this terrible disease - so keep strong and keep fighting - you know you can do it!  I'm the proof!!

xx

LunaMuna

Sorry I posted before I'd finished!

Like you, my children keep me smiling! And I have to be brave for them too. 

I am glad I reached out on this forum yesterday, I find your replies very encouraging and positive.

I'm glad that what im feeling is normal, although anxiety does get the better of me some days and I feel like hiding away from it all! I've had a heart scan and that was normal, I must be due another soon as that was about 9 weeks ago but I will mention it to my oncologist in the meantime. 

Does time take away the worry? Do you worry less now? How I feel at the moment, I hope will gradually start to lessen the further away out from this I become. 

I will try the peppermint tea tonight, I've been chewing gaviscon tablets and they make my mouth feel awful! 😲🤢 

I'd like to keep in touch with you, if I may? I've not met someone who has had the same treatment. Did you have any lymph node involvement? I had at least one but at my last ultrasound, that and my tumor had completely responded to the EC chemotherapy. I have to have a full mastectomy though as my skin reacted to the cancer underneath, no cancer cells were found in the skin, but they want to remove everything to be on the safe side 

Big hugs for cheering me up!

Xxx

LunaMuna

Dear Jay68

What a lovely message to read this morning. 

Jay68

Hi LunaMuna - I'm pleased I managed to cheer you up!  It's amazing how someone else's experiences help you to realise everything is "normal" and someone somewhere has or is going through exactly the same as you are.  I don't think I would have coped as well as I did throughout my treatment had I not come across this amazing forum.

I'm sorry but what you say about being anxious of every ache and pain doesn't go away - I'm still like that on a regular basis and from what I've discovered through this forum its very common to feel like that.  I'm sorry to hear you have young children - I have just one son who was just 13 when I was diagnosed and that was hard enough.  Although at times, it was having my son around that helped me to stop over-thinking and staying brave and smiley when, to be perfectly honest, was the hardest thing to do some days.

You will have had an echo-scan of your heart (I hope) before herceptin and perjeta began - and you will have these fairly regularly - it's to ensure your heart isn't being affected by the treatment.  Mine did dip when I went over to the injections of herceptin - I was put onto blood pressure pills and thankfully the damage was reversed, however, I do still take the blood pressure pills as my blood pressure, since treatment, tends to be on the high side.   It might be a good idea to mention to the oncologist when you next see them - but also, it could be anxiety causing the discomfort and chest pain - anxiety is a really horrid condition - I've had a few anxiety attacks since diagnosed and can symphasize completely.

A good drink to also settle the stomach is mint tea - made weak.   It's not pleasant but I used to suffer from severe flactulence on herceptin and again the mint tea helps with that embarrasing problem too!

Keep going though lovely - you're stronger than you possibly know... xx

LunaMuna

Hello

That's interesting about being lactose intollerent. In fact come to think of it,it always seems bad after my usual cups of tea! 

Xxx

kathyx

I had terrible diarrhea on Taxol and found that it had made me lactose intolerant, which is quite common. Although I had to skip the last treatment, once I changed my diet I found that the diarrhea stopped, so worth a try.

LunaMuna

Hi Jay68

Thank you for your very kind and thoughtful message. It's definitely cheered me up 😀. I am grateful for the targeted treatments, like you say things would've been a lot worse of it wasn't for them! I've got so much going through my mind at the moment. Every ache and pain I feel like it's the cancer spreading. I'm such an anxious person and Im struggling to balance my treatment and looking after my young children. 

Do you remember having any chest pains or shortness of breath? 

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement, it really means a lot to me.

Xxxxx 

Ps thanks for the tips on food too 😊

Jay68

Hi LunaMuna

Firstly, big hug - and sorry you find yourself here!

I was in the same place as you 2 years ago.  And that sentence almost says it all - those days were hard - dark days of horridness.   I'm really sorry but there is no easy solution - it's just a case of getting through - you will get good days - make the most of them - you get a lot of bad days.  

All I can say is stay positive - smile whenever you can.  

I too suffered with acid indegestion (I got some great pills from the oncologist which I used to take for the first few days of each cycle and then stopped) - I'm sure the steriods caused this particular problem for me.  Diarahea was also a great problem - I did again have some great tablets but I tried not to rely on them.  What I found helped was to cut out all fruit and veg (really difficult) and I ate stodgy almost unhealthy food - white bread, rice, mash potato, custard, noodles and ice lollies to help my mouth and tongue problems.

Today I find it hard to remember how awful it was.  

I guess what I mean is although for you at the moment it's all awful (and I really do know it is) - there is light at the end of the tunnel - you're very nearly there - keep going.....  the targetted therapies are amazing - they actually do work.  The percentages of ladies with HER2+ cancers survival rates are excellent - whereas only a few years ago, it was one of the worse breast cancers to suffer from).

I still get aches and pains from all the treatment but I get a lot of really good days now for which I'm truly thankful and this will be you in only a few months time.... xx

LunaMuna

Herceptin, paclitaxel and perjeta side effects.

Hi all

I am currently receiving weekly paclitaxel and every 3 weeks perjeta and herceptin for early stage breast cancer. This is for 12 weeks and I only have 4 to go! I've already endured EC chemotherapy.

At first I was finding the weekly treatments a lots easier, as I really suffered during EC. However, the last couple of weeks I feel like I've aged 100 years. I ache all over, and have lots of niggling pain in my back and chest. I have terrible acid indigestion and diarrhoea all the time. 

Is anyone else suffering like this? Is there anything you can suggest that has helped you?

Many thanks,

Xxx