Hello all you strong ladies,
Having had a mastectomy 8 years ago, was diagnosed cancer in other breast in June. After lumpectomy now waiting to see oncologis. Team say there is a case for weekly Taxol, Herceptin, aroma tase inhibitors & radiotherapy. Tumour was small and clear lymph node but I had Er+ & HER2+ Cancer, hence the proposed treatment. My question is what can I do ahead of treatment to help with possible side effects? Your collective help would be so appreciated & hugs and positive thoughts go out to you all. X

Hi Cookie63
Personally I found fasting before chemo to be a great help, although I have no way of knowing how I would have coped if I hadn’t fasted! There’s a thread on this forum you might like to read and lots of info on google. I’m due to have four more rounds of chemo soon so will be starting my fasting regime again.
All best wishes
Jacq x

Hello Cookie63!

Like you, had a mastectomy in February 2012 for widespread DCIS with DIEP reconstruction at age 41 (no treatment needed) and thought that was that.  Oh no, in May I was diagnosed with lobular invasive cancer in the other breast!  Couldn’t believe it. Mine was ER-Positive Stage 2b Grade 3. Had lumpectomy and six lymph nodes taken out on August 15th. Results showed stray cells in first node only.  Treatment plan is 6 FEC-T cycles of chemo and 3 weeks of radiotherapy afterwards.

Had my first chemo session yesterday.  First round of 3 FEC doses and 3 T doses.  

I decided to give the Paxman cold cap a go.  Had to wear it for half an hour before my chemo then during treatment which was around an hour and then finally for another hour and a half afterwards.  You also have to give it 15 minutes to defrost as well after they turn it off!  I won’t lie the first 15 minutes were awful.  I just wanted to rip it off and give up.  However, I was told after that your body aclimatizes to the cold and they were right.  I managed it.  Feel really proud of myself.  Not everybody gets on with it though, it’s a personal choice.  I’m giving it another go.  Was told to use Simple shampoo to wash my hair.  I was told to eat something before my treatment so I arrived early to my appointment and bought a sandwich in the cafe.  Needn’t have bothered as a lovely lady came round with a trolley of sandwiches and cups of tea.  Very welcome.  I thought it best to line my stomach as I was going to be receiving some extremely strong drugs!

Glad I did.  Haven’t felt that nauseous or sick as they gave me plenty of drugs to counteract this problem. 

I might take some paracetamol before using the cold cap next time as I was feeling slightly headachy afterwards and will have to bring a warm hat to wear home as my hair was quite wet afterwards.

All in all, on day 2 not feeling too rough.  Didn’t sleep all that well but think it was from all the nervous energy that had been pumping around my body yesterday.  Had an hours rest around 2 o’clock this afternoon which helped.  I managed to get showered, wash my hair, put on my makeup and face the day as best as I could.  Even managed a 20 minute walk out this morning as well which helped.

Who knows what day 3 will bring side effect wise?  Have to now have a five day course of injections to boost my white cells.  Luckily, a neighbour is doing it for me as she is a pharmacist! Don’t like needles! Good Luck!

I have had 7 rounds of chemo (of 8) and have not been sick at all - great medication - but what I would highly recommend is exercise - that is what my Oncologist recommended.  We have a rebounder and I do that every morning before work - outside - it’s great for energy levels, both mentally and physically, and will make you feel so much calmer and ready to face anything… I also go to the gym - but I can’t recommend the rebounder enough.  Good luck with treatment.

Hi Cookie,

I’m just coming to the end of 16 weeks of chemo including 12 weeks of taxol. I’ve pretty much been side effect free for it. Had a little bone pain here and there but nothing a cocodamol doesn’t sort out. I’ve cold capped all the way through and have kept the majority of my hair, eyebrows are gone and eyelashes are sparse though. I’ve not fasted (being diabetic I couldn’t if I wanted to, which I dont) I eat as normal, no special concessions for chemo and it’s worked for me. I’ve had a bit of fatigue especially back when the weather was really hot but nothing too bad. Apart from chemo days I still commute into London for work every day albeit on different hours to avoid rush hour.oh and all the list of stuff you shouldn’t do apparently, like washing up without gloves on and stuff , we’ll I do it. I’ve never worn a pair of rubber gloves in my life and I’m not about to start now.