Paclitaxel - how long for side effects ?

Hi  

I hope you’re all doing as well as you possibly can be 

I have had 4 EC and 2 weekly Paclitaxel ( I’m due 12)

With EC , the side  effects came on quickly and fell into a pattern so I could roughly predict them 

So far with Paclitaxel, I’ve had some achy joints , irritated throat and sore back on days 4-6 which are managed with paracetamol but otherwise generally ok . Should I expect more side  effects as treatment goes on and if so roughly when did yours kick in , after how many treatments ? 
hugs to all  

2 Likes

Hi loobyloop

I love your matter-of-fact approach to this. I was like an inert zombie for most of the time! As regards side effects, I had a lot but I’ve always said I can walk past a pharmacy and get side effects! Everyone is different but I would say just be aware of the possibilities and be alert to any changes. Peripheral neuropathy is a significant side effect some women get and you need to report it. It may start with tingling in the toes and fingertips and may extend a little further. I also got it in my top lip, oddly. If it’s not monitored, the damage can be permanent (as I learnt to my cost - I kept playing it down) and having numb fingertips can be a bit of a problem!

As far as I remember, days 1-4 were my zombie days and then I began to function. Certainly I’d perked up just in time for the next treatment. Keep an eye on the throat in case it gets ulcerated - can you gargle? Paclitaxel can affect salivation, which may explain your irritated throat. There are saliva-activating sweets like DAp+ (by far the best) but your hospital may prescribe something antiseptic or Gel-clair to lubricate the throat. My throat was fine but my mouth was ulcerated.

Most important, monitor your temperature. If it reaches the magic figure of 38C, even if you feel fine (as I did initially) or think you know the cause, you must ring that emergency number. There are forces at work we don’t understand when it comes to cancer cells and reduced immunity and you really do not want to develop neutropoenia or worse.

Right, now I’ve alarmed you, my apologies. Hopefully you’ll escape these pitfalls. I take my hat off to anyone who can get through four ECs. You’re a tough one!! Best of luck with the rest of your treatment,

Jan x

2 Likes

Hi loobyloop,

Generally I found they didn’t get worse, although I did get hand/foot syndrome after my 10th session. I posted ‘Paclitaxel - luckily mostly mild side effects for me’ in May & another person being treated with also added her experience. I hope they don’t get worse for you.