cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picc line worries

Highlighted

Picc line worries

Hey lovely people!!

I am currently half way through my FEC -T treatment and about to start the T part. Unfortunately I developed phlebitis in my arm after round 3 . The chemo nurse said they could try to calculate on round 4 but to consider having a picc line fitted instead to save my veins.

I've read the info leaflet and looked it up online but am slightly concerned regarding the fact it goes above your heart as have had heart palpitations and heart burn as the beautiful side effects of FEC and wonder if it would cause any other issues?. 

I'm probably being a banana but you do worry about EVERYTHING dont you!!.

Any info , greatly accepted. You guys are so positive on here. Much love ❤❤❤🌻🌻🌻

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Community Champion

I just wanted to jump in on this thread and reassure anyone thinking of having a port fitted in their chest that my scar is tiny, less than 1cm and is covered by my bra. My surgeon was really thoughtful when he fitted it and we discussed where would be the least obvious place. I’m happy to answer any questions if anyone has any. Evie xx

Highlighted

I did chemo first so there wasn’t time to sort a PICC line before my first treatment. It meant I had to spend the whole treatment with one lower arm out of action because of the drip so it was harder to do anything like read or knit 9which I used to take in with me. I was a bit squeamish about having the PICC fitted but the team were lovely and I just looked the other way while they did It and I did t feel a thing. It will make your life so much easier as you then have no more needles as they take blood through it after too. Definitely recommend doing it and my scar after taking it out looks like a insect bite scar on my inner arm as opposed to a friend who had a port who Has a one inch scar right on her chest. 

Highlighted

Hi

I had a picc line earlier this year, took little while to settle but most of time forgot about it.

I did have a blood clot but that got sorted quickly - just make sure if you are uncertain of anything you mention it.

Went weekly for care and still see my picc line nurses now - they were like family for me through covid.

It was done under local and a friend came with me.

I am not great with needles so a picc line does eliminate alot of that.

Thinking of you xx

Hi Cherryp

I have been told I need a picc line fitting before treatment begins.

I am terrified of needles and I have to say the thought of this being fitted is making me want to throw up and pass out everytime I think of it.

I know it will make the treatment easier to go through, no cannulas and blood tests in arm but OMG how aweful is this x

Highlighted

Hi there,

if you have any questions about surgery/radiotherapy when the time comes just ask 👍

onwards n upwards ...   mini mad xx 💖💖

Highlighted

I was very nervous about getting the PICC but the staff fitting it were so expert and it is so much easier now I have it for everyone. Bloods give. In 5 mins instead of searching for veins and as the EC is now going into my upper arm if I keep looking forward I can almost ignore the fact that it’s happening. It was sore of a couple of days after but now apart from when I am having to cover it up for showering I don’t notice it that much. 

Highlighted

Thanks mini mad,

It's just so worrying when you read leaflets about side effects etc!!.

Onwards and upwards!, 3 rounds to go, then surgery, then radiotherapy!.

Sense of humour and sheer stubborn determination is a must !! 😉 ❤❤❤🌻🌻🌻

Highlighted

Hi Mermaid 1971

i had to have a picc line in as my veins where pretty bad and they could only use one hand.   Everything is so much simpler, no cannulas n no pain and you cant feel anything.

dont worry,  it'll be fine.... ask if you think of anything else.

mini mad xx 💖💖