Portacath discomfort

Just wondering how other people have got on with their portacath as I had the procedure done yesterday and my night’s sleep has not been comfortable at all even with paracetamol throughout the night.

The procedure was really painful too. Not too bad at first then the doctor said, this could be uncomfortable and to brace myself. No idea what he did but OMG it hurt so bad I think I screamed and they had to stop and give me more local anaesthetic. I can honestly say it made me cry and everyone says I’m a toughie in general

Has anyone got any advice or tips on sleeping as I found that lying flat was horrible and painful and it felt better being propped up but at the point that it was the most comfortable (nearly upright) I can’t possibly sleep in that position and my husband wasn’t enjoying me shifting about all night too, poor love! And I’m writing this at 6.20am after giving up trying to sleep at 5.30am. 
Hopefully this will get better after a couple of days?

In the long run I’m glad that I had the procedure as it will be easier than a picc line but also I’m hoping this is not the first in quite a few disturbed nights sleep too

Alice x

Hi Alice,

Sorry to hear that. I had a port put in in Dec. I was given enough local anaesthetic to knock out a mammoth and warned that this in itself would make me feel uncomfortable for a while - possibly weeks. It kept me awake for several nights. When it’s healed and the dressings are off, it will be better. 

Fiona

Hi Alice (Leftygurl) - I’m sorry to read that you are in such pain. I had a portacath too when I had chemo. I remember it was painful for maybe up to a week, getting better each day, but it was worth it as it made chemo so much easier. When it came to chemo day I was given some cream (possibly Emla?) to put on the port site about an hour before to numb it - because I’m not brave with needles and pain. 

I really hope your pain goes away quickly but do speak to your team if the pain is unbearable and they will be able to advise on better pain relief. Evie xx