Sending children back to school?

Good morning lovely ladies, I am halfway through my chemo and wanted to ask those of you with younger children whether you will be sending them back to school in September? My youngest son has additional needs and has been off school since March. He desperately needs to go back to the structure of school and to see his friends, but I am worried about the risk, particularly as I will be moving on to Docetaxyl and my oncologist said this will hit my white cell count harder than the EC. He doesn’t really understand about social distancing and hand washing is always a battle! However, having him at home is so challenging, making rest very difficult and stress levels are high.

I have an appointment with my oncologist next week so can discuss it then but would be grateful for your thoughts.
Many thanks, Helen xxx

Hi Helen, 

I’ll be sending mine back, my eldest starts secondary school in September so I think it’s important he goes at the same time as the others. My oncologist hasn’t said anything about them not going back but I did think it was compulsory that they attend school (please don’t quote me on that I think I read it somewhere).

Having said that I am nervous about them going back but as my hubby works in a school also there probably isn’t much point in keeping them off. However everyone has their own opinions and thoughts on the matter and there is no right or wrong xx

Hi Helen,

I have had the same dilemma. I’m also in the middle of chemo Having been diagnosed in June. We had decided to keep our son at nursery up until now, having decided the risk was low and it was more important for all of us that he was at nursery, especially after lockdown. 
I’ve been torn about school since there are a LOT more people involved. Since my son isn’t 5 until January, both nursery and school said that I could keep him at nursery if I chose. My oncologist felt that since case rate is low in my area the benefits of school outweighed the risk. 
I’ve only recently decided that I will send him to school although that’s partly due to pressure from my husband. My fears have been slightly eased due to recent research that suggests young children are less likely to transmit the virus. It’s just going to be a case of washing hands as soon as he’s home and washing uniform everyday. 
Unfortunately I’m also not going to be able to go in with him for his first day which is a “stay and play” which is heartbreaking. 

It’s a really tough decision. I just have to hope for the best. 

Best wishes, Emma