Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Started EC chemotherapy

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted

Re: Started EC chemotherapy

Hi all, 

I’m 12 days first chemo. I’ve been great excerpt for 1 day of vomiting and tiredness and then 1 day of nausea. Feeling good. 

Im having 3 ec and then 3 docetaxel then my mastectomy. 

The needles to take at home are to stimulate white blood cell growth to help with the effects of chemo on your blood cells. 

Hope everyone feels okay. I haven’t had any other side affects and I wore the have cold cap. But not sure going to wear it again as very painful.

lots love 

Highlighted

Hi. I’ve had an appointment booked today for a PICC line being fitted due to my needle phobia. I’m absolutely petrified about this as it’s more the veins that freak me out ☹️

Thank you for responding

i wish you lots of positivity on your journeys 

lots of love xxx

Highlighted

Hi lora

Thank you for responding to my message, if I can answer any of your questions please let me know, I have had my first treatment and am due my 2nd next week, up until now I have been absolutely fine with no side affects, in not counting my chickens just yet but I am thinking positive xx I have drank plenty of water to keep me hydrated and had fresh juices everyday as well as 30 minutes of walking at an incline every day, I believe this has helped my mentally and hoohopefu keeping my immune system as best it can be xx 

I am experiencing the head tingles today and getting more than usual strands of hair coming out, like you I have opted not to do the cold cap xx I have made myself so many headwraps and watched lots of tutorials on how to wrap them so im good to go xx

I wish you every bit of luck a d positivity for your treatment,  xxx

Highlighted

Thank you for your reply lovely xx 

Oh im sorry to hear you have had a few set backs during your treatment, it can't have been a nice experience at all, big hugs xx

I am on day 13 of my first chemotherapy session and have felt great, I am starting to feel the tingles in my head today and am getting loose strands of hair which I haven't before, feeling anxious about it as I know it is upon me, I will be fine once it comes out but it's just the thought of it happening or taking the bulk by the horns and doing it myself... All very scary xx how did you manage this? Any advice xx 

Highlighted

I’ve read this thread with great interest and even greater envy/admiration as I had virtually everything go wrong, apart from nausea and sickness, including 4 days in hospital with neutropoenic fever and sepsis. I started EC Christmas Eve and finished Paclitaxel at the end of April. Good luck to all of you - keep up the essential exercises (especially if you have radiotherapy in your plan) and maintain as normal a life as you can. But never do things because you think you ought. Your body is going through a horrendous onslaught and needs constant tlc.

One piece of advice: the oncologist isn’t exaggerating when s/he tells you about the risk of fever. Do check your thermometer is accurate (I didn’t - I had to buy one so obviously I expected it to be accurate) and do monitor your temperature if you feel the slightest change. All I had was a runny nose. If something is going wrong, it can mean the difference between a quick trip to the hospital and days on a drip, blood transfusions etc which, believe me, is boring and exhausting beyond belief (not scary because no one indicated how serious the condition was - very wise). Again, good luck x

Highlighted

I didn't have any injections, just blood tests the day before infusions to check how my blood was doing. I had 3 X 3 weekly EC followed be 9 X weekly Taxol with Herceptin injections every 3 weeks. I had Emend tablets for sickness which were excellent and Emla patches to use before infusions on my portacath. The worst thing was the diarrhea from the Taxol, along with the bone and joint pain.

Highlighted

Hi, oh this is a great message and sounds very positive, thank you for sharush and I am so pleased that this has gone so well for you, just what I wanted to hear ☺️☺️

Yes if you could let me know how you get on I would resllr appreciate that xx I haven't had any injections to have at home just sickness tablets for 5 days which I only took for 3 days because if the side affects of constipation (😬)  but again I have been great and not had sickness other than the day of actual chemotherapy XXX 

Good luck with your next treatment x

Highlighted

Hi Kirsty

I started EC 2 days ago and it's been ok so far apart from a bit of tiredness and a bit of dry mouth but I suffered from that prior treatment so it's been ok. I had a healthy balanced diet before so I am just booting it up with more protein and veggies. I have been trying to go out for walks or half days out around where I live these couple of days. And yes, I am like you "expecting" in a way for a side effect to kick in, I guess Monday is a good day to check because I finish my steroids and start with the home injections for bone marrow stimulation.

But as you see, many ladies don't get many side effects so as everyone says, listen ton your body, but don't stress too much. I guess the key is to know what can be expected and have something in place, my friend and I researched about foods that help with various side effects and have a bit of a stash at home in case I get hit with anything -she is such a blessing Heart

Highlighted

Hi Lora

It's absolutely normal to worry, it's a very worrying time when you're going into the unknown but it's not as bad as you think it will be.

The injections are to boost your white blood cells which normally fight infections. Chemo destroys some of these cells leaving us open to infection, the injections helps your body replace the cells quicker which in turn helps prevent infections.

The injections (mine are called Zarzio if you want to look them up), have very fine needles so they don't hurt but because you fear needles you may have difficulty giving them yourself (we are generally expected to do that), if you can't face it, have you got a partner/friend who could do it? the most uncomfortable part is pinching your skin. Maybe a district nurse could help, discuss your problem with you chemo team because it is important to have them. I don't want to worry you but you have between 5 and 7 injections each cycle.

I didn't cold cap either and lost my hair about day 16, it's not bad and you get used to it just get your wig, if you want one, hats, scarves etc ready as once it starts to shed it does happen fairly quickly, mine was over 3-4 days but again it's not as bad as you think.

Good luck, if you want to ask anymore please do so, i'll be happy to help as will all the other ladies on here - we're all in it together😊

Joemic x 

Highlighted

Hi I will be starting EC chemo in 3 weeks. Nervous about the cannula and prechemo bloods as I as terrible with needles. I faint a lot of the time. Can I ask what the injections are for you mentioned for home? 

Ive opted not to have the cold cap as I’d rather know that I’m going to lose the hair rather than a maybe, I can prepare myself then. 

Its good that by the sounds of it you’ve not had too much of a bad time which is great, I’m hoping I don’t get too ill with it all as I’m worried about catching infections. I think it’s all just a worry but obviously due to the circumstances I guess it’s just natural 

Lora xx

Highlighted

Hi Kirsty

I'm on 6 x EC as well and am due for my 4th next week. I have been really well so far. I have had some tiredness after my 3rd but it's hard to say whether that is because I had my bisphoshonate as well (I have it every other cycle).

After my 1st I had a bit of indegestion which cleared once I sorted my diet - I had to eat 3 meals a day rather than snacks. That was the only side effect apart from a bit of tiredness.

My 2nd cycle got some vein pain but nothing else, felt really well.

My 3rd as mentioned I have been a bit tired but had bisphosphonate too.

I'll let you know about my 4th after I have had it if you would like me too.

I have kept up with my normal activities and if you feel ok then I would recommend you do too. I think it does help.

My prechemo meds work very well, I have had no sickness and haven't needed any extra meds for any reason relating to chemo.

The injections you have at home for 5 or 7 days after chemo to help prevent infections don't affect me too bad either.

1st lot I had a bit of toothache and backache after my 3rd injection, responded well to paracetamol, only took 1 dose a day for 2 days.

2nd lot, I got toothache after my 5th injection, took a para and no pain after that.

3rd lot, absolutely no side effects at all from them.

Hope this helps you a bit 

Joemic x 

Highlighted

Thank you for taking the time to reply, oh im glad you had as positive experience as possible for the chemotherapy, not sure what taxol is but I am.starting in tamoxifen once the chemotherapy is complete xx I hope you are in the best possible health you can be xx 

Highlighted

Ahh thank you for your reply... What is taxol? I will be taking tamoxifen once I finish the chemotherapy, I am having 6 cycles of the EC... So far I have not experienced any side effects, I am a very active person and so far I have been able to maintain my usual runs, I don't feel tired and surprising a lot more energetic but I do worry slightly that it will catch up with me, or am I doing the best thing by keeping active and physically and mentally well xx just do t know what's best really xx

Did you travel by aeroplane? Have you done anything different diet wise that you think has helped xx

Highlighted

I had EC first and found the side effects difficult the first week after infusion, not too bad the second and back to normal for the third. The second and third treatments the difficult days got shorter and the better periods got longer - I didn't find it cumulative ay all. The following Taxol treatments on the other hand............!

Highlighted

Hi there. I had chemo Sept to Feb - 3 x EC then 12 x Taxol following a mastectomy. I think tiredness and some lethargy was the only thing that eventually hit me and it was probably when I had the 3 weeks of radiation that it caught up most with achy knees being the main thing.  Not debilitating but just not my usual energetic self and my sleep pattern was a bit disrupted.

Having it over winter meant i had to try and avoid the coughs and colds which surprisingly I managed. I got a trip away over Xmas too to Europe and was fine

.Just needed to rest a bit more. I didn't need the domperidone and didn't gain weight either. But I know that everyone experiences it differently.  Are you having Taxol too? and trying the cold cap? It worked for me so is worth trying if you can. 

The other thing to do is to keep up some stretches  and walking as the chemo obviously is swirling round your body and as said can make your ligaments a bit achey. I did get a bit of reflux too and had heightened sense of smell and taste. I went off coffee for a bit too.  But most of those SE passed when I went on to Taxol - I just needed some omoperazole now and then.  I think if you are prone to that sort of thing it can be exacerbated.

Good luck with it all - I think the main advice I would give is don't stress waiting for side effects that don't come and listen to your body. Trying and do normal as best you can but maybe a slightly slower pace. Keep a little diary too of questions for when you see nurses and oncologist as it's easy to forget from week to week. And do treat yourself to nice things here and there if it makes you happy. It can end up ruling your life so it's nice to have some distractions.

All the best and stay positive!

Sam

Highlighted

Started EC chemotherapy

Hi All

I started my first session of chemotherapy just over a week ago, so far so good, I was diagnosed in January and underwent a mastectomy, the whole process has taken so long but I finally have a plan

I am feeling great and haven't suffered (yet) with any side effects, I feel like everyday I am expecting to be hit with something to bring me down though, pure anticipation of what's to come, will I get worse with Every cycle? Xx