Starting Chemo end of September

I start chemo at the end of September according to my CN, I see my oncologist on the 17th of September. 

I’m not sure what to expect, although I’m reading up, but would appreciate any help or advise anyone can give please. Origionally I was to be given radiotherapy, but was told the cancer was bigger than they thought, so chemo first, than radiotherapy.

I’ve been told it will be over 18 weeks, but I’m worried about what people are saying about fasting. I have a wrap at the top of my stomach to stop acid reflux and have always been told by my surgeon, never go hungry and eat lots of little meals, which I do. Having read about people fasting is not going to be a possibility.

I’d like to hear about peoples experience and any tips and suggestions would be very welcome.

When the surgeon said it was bigger than they thought, I felt like I’d been hit on the back of the head with a cricket bat, being told it was now chemo first, has rocked me just a bit. I’m holding it together, but feel like I’m losing control of what’s happening and that is not a comfortable feeling for me.

pinklily, so sorry that you’re going through such a tough time at the moment. I’m from the Oct thread and finished chemo in March.

I didn’t fast myself and I was fortunate and didn’t suffer with any sickness throughout my chemo treatment, (I had 3 Fec and 3 T) I just felt a bit nauseous occasionally-you’ll be given sickness tablets after each chemo to help you with this. One thing I did do was wear sea sickness bands during each chemo and for a few days afterwards. I don’t know if it was wearing them which helped or whether it was just psychological, but I wasn’t sick. 

If there’s anything else I can help with, I’m happy for you to pm me x

Hello Pinklily, 

Try and take things one step at a time otherwise it can just become so overwhelming…

1. You may feel like you are losing control, especially when unexpected things happen which are  outwith your control.  Tumour size was not within your control.  I am not sure how your surgeon explained things but I am getting the impression that it was not in a way beneficial to you.  

It is not unusual for tumour size to be different (either larger or smaller) than what it appeared on the mammogram or ultrasound or other.  There also can be quite a difference between what the size may appear on a mammogram to what the size may appear on a ultrasound.   So,  at times,  the true size can only be determined after surgery which appears to be the case for you. 

Size isn’t everything,  but the greater the size (possibly along with other tumour characteristics such as if lymph nodes are affected),  may indicate a greater risk of recurrence or spread. Hence,  a recommendation of chemo. 

By the way,  I actually do not know the true size of my tumour.  Initial mammogram,  ultrasound, examination put it at different sizes.  I had chemo first before surgery and it reduced the tumour to oblivion.  Due to having chemo first,  I will just have to live with the disadvantage of not knowing the true size and the advantage of knowing the efficacy of chemo.  I just try and concentrate on keeping control of the things that I can. 

1. So you can keep control by, for example,  preparing yourself for your chemo consultation in the best way for you.  This could be by preparing a list of questions such as clarifying the specific chemo treatments,  asking how your Wrap issues may be affected and managed if a  chemo treatment  is being used that usually causes nausea etc,  being given clear info on the short and long term side effects of the specific  chemo treatments being used, finding out  if  the cold cap is available to use to protect your hair (if that is important to you.  Primary breast cancer chemo treatments usually lead to hair loss)  etc. 

You may also like to ask the Oncologist to input your information on the Predict website.  This may give you an indication of how beneficial  chemo may be for you,  as well as other available post surgery treatments.  You can use the Predict Website yourself if you wish but it  may be best used with some guidance and explanation. 

1. Fasting is not necessary for Chemotherapy,  hence there is no need to worry about this. What is important  is knowing whether the specific chemotherapy  that you are planning to have  is highly likely to cause nausea etc and the best way of managing this for you.  Depending on treatments,  for example,  if you were getting a treatment like FEC,  anti nausea meds are given before the chemo as well as a “goody” bag after.  However,  these may need to be adjusted etc due to your individual issues. 

Fasting, or introducing a diet that mimics fasting before, during and for a short time after each chemo session has gained popularity in recent times due to the research work by Valter Longo and others.  It is proposed that fasting can increase the effectiveness of chemo and protect healthy cells.  There has not been sufficient reported research on humans.  

By the way,  the anti nausea wrist bands can be purchased, for example,  from Amazon as well as other retailers.  You can also get gum etc.  I used a brand called Sea Band.  I got them given in a pre-chemo “goody” bag provided by a lovely charity who works with the chemo ward at the hospital that I had treatment at.  They did not work for me.  However,  everyone is different.  So remember,  it is good to learn from other people’s experiences but it may not be the same for you. 

Stay positive Pinklily, 

Chick? X

Thank you so much chick1 what you said makes a lot of sense, I must admit, when I read about people fasting, I had a bit of a panick wondering how on earth I was going to do it. My doctor phoned this morning to give me some results and I mentioned it to him, needless to say, he was dead against it in my case.
I’m seeing the bcn on Friday, she wants to look at the wound under my arm, the stitches should not have come through apparently, in my case they have, who ever sewed me up is not as good a seemstress as I am ?
Thanks for your help again, I’ve taken on board and will act on it xx

Hi pinklily

I wouldn’t worry yourself over chemo, for me the thought of it was worse than the actuality. I had 4x EC and have done 5 out of 12 paclitaxol. I can honestly say I’ve not felt sick or nauseous once. As for fasting, are you kidding me? I eat lots even having my pain au raisin during chemo itself. Make sure you take the antisickness meds they give you even of you don’t feel sick because if you don’t and then start to feel sick it may be too late.

Honestly, it probably won’t be as bad as you think it will. It’s been completely fine for me.

Hi I’m the same I start my chemo end of Sept beginning of Oct still waiting to see my oncologist to give me a specific date. I’m so confused and don’t know what will happen. Im 31 got diagnosed 3 weeks ago then two days later I had to have an emergency mastectomy. I’m in total denial, shock, confused. This forum has really helped me. Take one day at time that’s all I’m doing. When I think about it I feel sick too my stomach. I keep telling myself too be positive and ill beat this awful, horrible disease that has tried to invade my body but I’ll know I’ll fight it. Be positive keep talking to people that helps me :heart::heart::heart:

Hi there,

I am in a similar situation to you. I was diagnosed on 3rd August 18 with stage 2 primary ductal cancer. I was sent for an op to remove the tumour and some breast tissue on 16th August. My consultant said that I would need radiotherapy after. However, when I saw him on 5th September he wasn’t happy with the cells in the margin of tissue and wanted to remove more as precaution the next day, send it off the USA for testing to see how aggressive it is. He said that I now may have to have Chemo.
This really panicked me as I had a set path in my mind and now it has changed. I am really afraid of chemo and what worries me the most is my children bringing germs home when I am vulnerable to infection. I have 3 children, one works in a hospital, one is in secondary school and my youngest in primary. I am struggling to cope with the thought of chemo and all its side effects. This diagnosis has hit me hard as all my experiences with other people having breast cancer have been negative. I also suffer from anxiety which really isn’t helping. It would be great to here from others who have been through or are going through chemo and are in a similar situation with family/children like me.
This forum which I found today has helped me so much already, just knowing that I’m not the only one with fears, and that breast cancer is so common. As someone recently said to me, breast cancer is the one that the professionals know about the most and there are so many treatments out there. Although we are scared we are not alone. It is a natural emotion for everyone when faced with a cancer diagnosis .

Chin up to us both, we can rock this ?

Hi All I’m 33 and was diagnosed in July with inflammatory breast cancer, I was breastfeeding my 7month old at the time and I was shocked to say the least as I thought breastfeeding was meant to prevent breast cancer…well how wrong was I!
I started my chemo 6 weeks ago, I am having 12 weekly sessions and then every 2/3 weeks.
Up to now I have not had any side effects only thinning hair on my head and the odd tired spell.
I was so scared of chemo before I started it because it’s the fear of the unknown but it’s really not that bad. My husband and I make a day of it take the iPad, books, snacks I even catch up on sleep.
Any questions that I might be able to help with please don’t hesitate.
I would also highly recommend getting a PICC line if it is offered :slight_smile:
Sending hugs to you all x

Hi Anastasia, lovely to read your message. I have an appt to see my consultant on Friday so will find out then whether I need chemo. I will message you for some tips if it’s my next step forward ?