Starting chemo in January 2022

Hi all

I’ve been through a mastectomy and reconstruction, (all gone well so far) and I found out today I need six rounds of chemo starting in January. This is the thing I have been scared of the most (more than surgery) and I’m worried about hair loss. My hair is quite long, and I am thinking of getting it cut to shoulder length so any loss is less noticeable. Can anyone advise me on this? Sending love and hugs to all xxx

Hi

I have been cold capping and after 2 rounds still have a full head of hair. the chemo I am on is docetaxol (mine is secondaries). I think it depends what chemo you are on will depend on hair loss.

i haven’t found the cold cap too bad but maybe worth asking at the chemo suite x

@princessleia29  

Hello lovely 

so sorry that you find yourself on the forums but welcome to the space where people totally get it xx 

If you look on chemo monthly threads under going through treatment in the menu there will be a January one starting very soon, but in answer to your question it totally depends on what you feel will be best for you.

the thought of losing your hair at the point where your at is awful. The dread and pure anxiety of it all before it happens is honestly worse than when it’s gone.

I was told that because my hair is /was fine then the probability of it going was very high. So I did what you’re thinking of, but I got my hair cut into a short pixie cut, then it got shorter and shorter until I eventually had a buzz cut, which I loved!!

there is the cold cap option,  I didn’t fancy trying it but lots of people do, and successfully manage to retain most or even all of their hair. 

My hair started  fully shedding after my second chemo.  After a while you just get used to it… I have lots of bobble hats snd bandanas and even a wig which I never thought I’d use but I do… it helps to feel normal xxx 

You can do this … and there are advantages to having no hair … literally I’ve never had smoother legs or arm pits! And yes …  there too! 

Good luck. 

xxx 

Hi,

I start mr chemo in January too. I was diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer in October the day before my birthday, I had a lumpectomy in November, they wouldn’t let me have a mastectomy but now I will be always worried of re occurance.

I don’t know whether to use the cold cap too as I have long hair and I am very scared too.

All the appointments coming up are overwhelming. I’m going to be on infusions once every three weeks and 2 weeks of radiotherapy. Good luck with yours. And I’d you need a chat message me as we would be going through it at the same time. R x