TRIPLE NEGATIVE BREAST CANCER(pembrolizumab (keytruda) in combination with ambraxone and carboplatin

Hello ,

My name is Angie and I was diagnosed with TNBC in April 2022. (Had a mastectomy in 2015 and 6 chemotherapy. In 2019, had surgery on the same breast for lymph nodes and 15 radiation therapy). started chemotherapy in June 2022. Pembrolizumab (Keytruda) in combination with ambraxone and carboplatin. ambraxone weekly, pembrolizumab (keytruda) in combination with ambraxone and carboplatin every 3 weeks. My doctor told me that I would have 4 cycles of chemotherapy with immunotherapy and then radiotherapy. immunotherapy will continue for 12 months. Does anyone have experience with the same diagnosis and treatment plan. Only I have a question, why 4 cycles? Shouldn’t  be 6 cycles?

Thanks,

Angie

Hi Angie

I’m another TN although I didn’t know it till recently. I knew I’d had 2 tumours in 2018, one ductal, one lobular, but I didn’t really want to know, I just wanted to get through the treatment. I didn’t read copies of letters sent to my GP and, to be honest, I’m glad I didn’t know as I’d have been alarmed and unable to switch off from breast cancer once I got the all clear. At least I had a couple of years of peace of mind.

You are fortunate to qualify for immunotherapy. I seem to fail every entry requirement for every trial or new treatment! What interests me is why didn’t you ask your oncologist? Each diagnosis is unique so the answer lies there. You should be able to ring your breast care nurse service and ask them, to get peace of mind, but my experience (too much for my liking) is that oncologists do know what they are doing and don’t make risky decisions. Radiotherapy is considered the most effective treatment so maybe you have only 4 cycles to reduce the size of the tumour so you can move on to radiotherapy? That’s only a maybe. 

If you don’t like your local breast care nurse service, I’d say ring the helpline number above. The nurses provide a wonderful service and may be able to answer your question.

Good luck with the immunotherapy. I hope it sorts things out for you x