To chemo or not to chemo

I’ve been told having chemo will add only 2% to my overall chance of survival. I’m stage 1, 2 lymph nodes positive so already have 85% chance. Tamoxifen will add 3% so my chances increase to 90%. My question is would you put yourself through the rigours of chemo for 2%??  
I’m so confused I feel I want to throw everything at the cancer and take no chances. 
Anyone else had the same prognosis.  

My answer would be yes I would grasp at anything that threw me a lifeline however slim I was told it could be.
I fully understand where you are coming from with your question but life is worth fighting for.
My chemo did not do a lot, but I would go down that same path again even knowing what I now know.

I wish you well in your decision and your treatment.

Lots of hugs
Poppy xx

Hi Sue

I’m with Poppy. If you’ve been offered chemo, then it’s for a good reason. Some Stage 1 patients don’t even have it suggested. But it’s the lymph node involvement that indicates chemo could remove a potential risk of further spread. Thank heavens for lymph nodes doing their job and trapping those rogue cells! So 2% sounds negligible (how I envy your scores lol) but could ultimately make a big difference.

It sounds to me like you’ve virtually made your decision. You don’t want to miss the opportunity and later fret over a missed opportunity. Chemo sounds scary but it’s manageable. Some people drive themselves there and (to me) magically swan through it. Others, like me, feel like zombies, though hospitals now do everything they can to mitigate the side effects. But we come out the other side, more confident that we’ve reduced our risk of recurrence.

So, speaking as someone who’s had to move from Stage 2/3 (I was greedy and had two different tumours) on to Stage 4, secondary, triple negative, I know what can happen and if there’s anything that can reduce the likelihood, I would go for it. As you say, throw everything at it, take no chances. 

I wish you all the best. It’s a huge decision, with not much time to consider it.

Jan x

Hi Sue

The thing with stats is they are based on your type of cancer etc…but not on you as an individual ( as that figure can never be truly known) so it could be a higher %…or lower…I had stage 0 DCIS so no nodes…I had a 2% chance of recurrence (.so 98% chance of no recurrence)…I was taking tamoxifen…I have still had a recurrence and then a new primary in other breadt…so BC 3 times now…2012 2018 2020…last time  had 1 node involved…grade 2 …12mm… I  went all out…surgery. chemo. Radiotherapy.  Letrozole…biphosphonates…I want to know i have done everything I can …and then if anything occurs down the line…I will know i gave myself the best chance… good luck with whatever you decide :four_leaf_clover:  

I would ask them what the long-term effects on your quality of life might be so that you’re really making an informed decision. It mightn’t change your mind at all, but it’s good to know.

Positive nodes would always mean chemo recommended. Throw everything at it. I did and chemo wasn’t the horror it’s often portrayed as . Didn’t even lose all my hair thanks to cold cap . No sickness because these days they have v effective meds. You will be tired it is a long haul but worth it for the peace of mind 

I’m in a similar dilema Sue so have been reading your replies with interest. 
I had bilateral lumpectomies and had to go back for lymph nodes to be removed from one side. 
I heard today that around 50% showed cancer present but scans etc have shown it hasn’t spread further. 
I will be having radiotherapy and hormone therapy. It’s been suggested that I am also seen by an Oncologist to discuss whether chemo would be beneficial. This has thrown me a bit as while I see the sense in taking all that’s offered I am really quite concerned about chemo. How can anyone make this decision?