Too early to shave head?

Hi all. I have just started chemo treatment a couple of weeks. I will be having weekly treatment for approximately 20weeks. 

My dilemma is : is it silly to think about shaving my hair off now rather than wait for the fallout? My friends think it’s being a bit silly overthinking things. I know it will all fall out eventually so …

Carol xx

Entirely up to you!

Cons might be: cold head and the bald look earlier than you need. Even knowing it would come out, I couldn’t help feel a little paranoid that maybe it wouldn’t and there I was buying little hats and wigs and stuff too early? But it did, and at least I had them!

Pros include: not having to worry about it shedding - it can be traumatic getting handfuls of hair. You can take control and get organised on your own timescales for things like wigs or whatever. As someone with a few mm of regrowth now I can also confirm that it’s quite nice not having to deal with any haircare for a spell! Oh, and if you are going for wig fittings, they’re quite different with a full head of hair, or a short crop or less.

If you’re having doubts you could always go for a short crop as an in-between. I used the longest guard on the shaver and went down to about an inch for the first cut, before shaving it all about a week later.

Also my favourite tip for anyone thinking about wigs: modern ones can look really amazing, so you can match your usual hair if you want. But it’s also such a great time to unleash your inner Cher - purple! Blue! Bright red! No harm in having fun with it, if that appeals :slightly_smiling_face: