Top tips and must do’s to be chemo ready!

Good evening everyone,

I’ve just been told that I will see my oncologist on Monday (5 days time) to discuss my chemo plan of action. Then possibly start chemo that same week!!!

I really don’t feel ready for this and feel it’s all happening super fast….which I also know is good but it’s just hard to get my head around life changing stuff about to happen to my body. 

So what I would like to know are your must haves to take to a chemo session, should I be taking a bag of sort with bits and pieces in? Has anyone tired hair and nail supplements? Cold drinks or hot drinks? Can you snooze? 

I’ve just turned 40 this year and what a year it’s turned out to be! 

would love to hear your top tips!! 

Hi bee1234,

Just from my personal experience: a bottle of cold water to sip from, essential to keep you flushed, even though you may be offered a cuppa, which I would take, plus any biscuits offered too. Perhaps a flask of tea, or a hot drink. Maybe a couple of mints, fruit pastilles, or something that tastes nice, to help your mouth feel pleasant. Something to read, or listen to, whilst having the chemo, as it helps take your mind off things a bit. Yes, you can snooze, if able to, but be aware there might well be a lot of bleeping from the different chemo machines, and general low level noise, as the nursing team deal with all the different patients starting and finishing their chemo. And having other things done, related to their chemo, which will be specific to them.

I hope some other people can give you some advice. Wishing you all the best.

Wifi is often patchy so download podcasts, ebooks /audio books or tv before you go in, or if you prefer something physical a magazine might be easier to manage than a book.

And it’s more general but if it’s been a while, go get a dental checkup now as it gets trickier later.

It’s a bit like being on a train or a plane, in an odd way. You’re mostly in your seat, and you might have someone interesting to chat to next to you, and you might even get an NHS sandwich and a cup of tea! No G&Ts from the trolley, sadly.

Hi @bee1234  

I’ve also just turned 40 and have just started chemo. Not exactly what I was expecting 40 to look like! 

I take a tote bag with a blanket (I’m using the cold cap), a big bottle of water, a snack, kindle and my sewing (I’m into embroidery). I’ve also got a spare phone charger in there just in case. 

Some people sleep, some chat and some watch tv on tablets. You tend to see the same people each week so it can get quite sociable. 

Hope it goes well xx

I finished my chemo last Dec.
I did for my first session take a lot of things (most not needed) as it turned out.
Water was provided, as well as a cup of tea or coffee, if you are there over lunch we got a sandwich, crisps and yogurt, I did take a satsuma and some tictacs which helped refresh my mouth. I also took books originally as well as something to write with but it was hard with one arm/hand incapacitated ( a mag would be good) The TV was on, lively music which I enjoyed some people took their mobiles, or tablet and headphones one lovely session the man next to me kept me up to date with the tennis. Some people chat - but I found a lot more did not, you get to see/know those who will and won’t.
I liked to just sit and relax and watch the nurses going about their business - my treatment centre was very bright and jolly, and the nurses were always so pleasant, I actually missed the protection and family feeling of the unit once my chemo was over.

I was surprised and upset how some people could be so rude to the staff it really opened my eyes.
All I can say from my perspective is - that it all went well they answered any questions I had, gave me an extra pack of biscuits when I was feeling a little light-headed I was certainly well looked after.
One session they joked that I was going into the one-bed treatment room (to shut me up) …

The first session is always a concern, but once you have been and seen what goes on you will be fine.
Lots of good luck and wishes.

Poppy xx

PS drink fluid on the day of treatment it helps to keep you hydrated and easier for them to locate your vein (drink plenty of fluid through the whole treatment process) xx