Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Triple negative breast cancer

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted

Re: Triple negative breast cancer

Hi 

I did not have TN breast cancer but did have six per cent  margin on whether to have chemo or not . I just finished after 12 sessions and it has been tiring the canulas are painful but I was never sick once I kept my hair thanks to cold cap and am profoundly grateful I decided to go for the extra six per cent chance . Should point out I had surgery back in January and still got rads to go but will never regret having chemo so do think hard before saying no as am sure you will 

Highlighted

Thanks for that. I still have lots of questions for oncology I’ve got another appointment in two weeks.  Good luck with the rest of your chemotherapy. 

Highlighted

Hi Hotspur,

i am also TN....  i was offered chemo 2 years ago following WLE,  3 sentinel nodes removed ,  all with clear margins, ,  then 15 radiotherapy session.

I decided against chemo....  to many negatives n not enough positives... i was also 6% chance of recurrence.

fast forward to my second mammogram in February this year...2 lumps found in same breast as in 2017.... TN again..... left mastectomy,  axiliary level 1 nodes removed....  all margins clear.

Just had my 7th chemo session of 12 today...Paclitaxel weekly n Carboplatin every 3 weeks.

if i'd had chemo back then in 2017 would i not have had the recurrence ???  Dr said maybe yes, but maybe no.    

Do i regret not having the chemo back then ?..   a big NO....

Think long n hard before you decide.   Good luck.  Mini mad xx 💖💖

Highlighted

I’m in same position as you. Mine is 6% but still doesn’t sound enough to put myself through it again.  I’m battling to get answers from oncology. My breast care nurse is being so supportive. It hard I know my husband wants me to have everything where my friends and my son can see why I don’t want it again. I had it 12 years also for two different primaries in the other breast.  I hope you are able to make what is a very difficult decision. TN is a hard one.  I’m thinking about you and everyone else in our situation. 

Highlighted

I’m new to triple negative and from everything I’ve read it’s a lottery even if you have chemotherapy.  Don’t blame yourself. You may have spared yourself two lots of chemotherapy. I’m in limbo trying to decide whether to have chemotherapy. I have 6 % better chance with chemotherapy but it doesn’t sound enough to me to put myself through it again.  I’m new to this forum so just hope I’m doing all this the right way.  Talk to your breast care nurse I find mine brilliant and don’t beat yourself up. 

Highlighted

I also have TNBC and had a mastectomy 5 weeks ago. No lymph node involvement. 12 years ago I had my first mastectomy for two cancers oestrogen positive and HER2 positive. Had chemotherapy, herceptin and tamoxifen. I’m still in remission from those.  I’ve been told 6% better survival at 5 years if I have chemotherapy. But don’t think it’s worth the effects that I experienced last time.  Is anyone else in this position. I’m finding oncology a nightmare. They just want to push chemotherapy. I’m 62 and married. My husband says he will support my decision.

Highlighted

I am also Triple Negative.

first treated in 2017.  WLE plus 3 sentinel nodes removed.  Clear margins 👍👍

then 15 sessions of Radiotherapy.   They suggested chemo but i decided against.

to many negatives and not enough positives.....

fast forward to Feb 2019..... second year mammogram showed suspicious area...  turned out to be scar tissue..... but.....2 lumps found on examination by the biopsy doctor.

TN again.... reoccurance of previous cancer.

mastectomy and level 1 axilliary nodes removed in April.   Now i am waiting for my chemo date to start treatment....   would this have happened if i'd done the chemo in 2017 ??

nobody can say....  so taking a day at a time... as most of us are on here..good luck ladies and a BIG hug to you all 💖💖

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hello Dam, welcome to the forum .There are lots of ladies on the forum who have had to make similar decisions - it's a very hard choice and a very personal one - if only we had a crystal ball ? Good luck whatever you choose .Im sure other ladies will be along to share their  experiences .

Highlighted

I also have triple negative breast cancer. Now week 5 post op and have to decide if I want to have Chemotherapy prior to Radiotherapy. Have been told by onc that it only saves 3 or 4% so seems a lot to go through for that low %. But then if I don’t have it and get a reoccurrence I’ll blame myself! Decisions decisions...anyone been in the same situation? What did you decide?

Highlighted

I am also triple negative... 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hello Polly ,welcome to the forum .Do you have specific questions about triple negative breast cancer ? There are quite a few ladies on the forum with TN .

Highlighted

Triple negative breast cancer