What if chemo doesn’t work?

Hi ladies!

I need some encouragement here. I had my first chemo last week with herceptin and perjeta, and I’m having a panic thinking what if it doesn’t work? I’m getting myself upset thinking what if the tumour doesn’t shrink etc.

I’m yet to have my operation, and then radio afterwards.

Any advice welcome please x

Hi there, I’ve been borderline HER2 and I remember  panicking about having chemo before surgery because it seemed better to me to get it out. My kind and experienced BCN was absolutely clear that chemo would be treating the tumour and would be the best and most effective  course. I  was still relieved to be neg in the end but I do feel for you. Hope you get others to share with coming along. Keep believing! Love Mo  

I was diagnosed with triple negative bc in June 2018 and my treatment was chemo first, then surgery and then radiotherapy. I put all my trust in the professionals and did exactly what they suggested. They told me they knew what it was and how to treat it and you know what, they were right! I had 6 months of chemo and my cancer was completely gone by the time I had my surgery.  I know it’s not always easy but try to be positive you can do this!

Hi HannahLizzy21

I started chemo in May 2017 - firstly EC x3 then Docetaxol x4 with Perjeta and Herceptin.  In Sept 2017 I had a single mastectomy - pathological response was excellent - there was no cancer left in my breast and of all the lymph nodes removed - only one showed that there had been cancer there - but all signs were gone.  I then went on to have radiotherapy on my collar bone - as a precaution and eventually finished all Herceptin treatment in June 2018.  Here I am today - getting back to normal…  it does happen and I’m quite sure it will for you too.  Take care my lovely and be positive (at times that is extremly difficult - but try!). x