69.3K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bee Propolis and Royal Jelly are not recommended for ER+/PR+ breast cancer patients

7 REPLIES 7
monicanatura

Re: Bee Propolis and Royal Jelly are not recommended for ER+/PR+ breast cancer patients

Reference PDR 2nd Edition (physician desk reference for Nutritional supplements)
Propolis does not contain any phytoestrogens, propolis is anti microbial, anti inflammatory.
In vitro studies showed propolis to have aptopsis effect on colorectal tumours.
lovemama

Re: Bee Propolis and Royal Jelly are not recommended for ER+/PR+ breast cancer patients

A further update.

Felt sick (shoulder pain, tightness breast, needed deep breath often) when finished almost 3 bottles Brazilian bee propolis in Apr,18. 

Below was the results of variious latest test/scan before 1st cycle chemo on Oct 1st,18.

potassium blood testing 5.8+ (never happened before bee propolis)

CT scan showing 1 leison on sternum, 2 leisons on abdominal lining, neoplastic images on lung and heart (my oncologist told me there is no heart cancer), image in the remaining breast.

subsequent mammogram reflected  image in breast (all clean since 2011 treatments until this year after bee propolis). Following ultrasound showed NOT cancer.

bone biopsy confirmed triple positive BC recurred on sternum. Stage 4 metastatic , non curable.

The CT scan after cycle 4 (just finished the 5th cycle last fri) was showing, cross finger.. all leisons disappeared and my sternum is healing. My Onco said I am in the early stage of stage 4 and responded well to chemo. PS. Forgot to check with her how is the images on heart and lung. Dec 31,18 was her last day in hospital. 

lovemama

An update,

Felt sick (shoulder pain, tighness breast, need to take deep breath frequently) after almost finished 3 bottles bee propolis in Apr 2018. 

Various testing result BEFORE chemo, (1st cycle in Oct)

potassium blood testing 5.8+ (never happened before bee propolis)

CT scan - 1 leison on sternum, 2 leisons on abdominal lining, 1cm neoplastic image on lung, neoplastic image on heart (oncologist told me there is no heart cancer), image on my remaining breast

mammogram- image found in remaining breast. (all clean records after 2011 treatments until this time after bee propolis). Touch wood, the subsequent ultrasound showed NOT cancer.

bone biopsy on sternum confirmed BC recurred

Just finished the 5th cycle last week out of 8 cycles  taxol/Pujerta/Herceptin in every 3 weeks..

The CT scan after cycle 4 showed all leisons disaopeared and sternum is healing. Oncologist said I am in early stage (exactly what was told) of stage 4 and I responded well to the chemo. PS. forgot to check how is images on lung/heart. Dec 31 2018 was her last day in the hospital 8-(  8-(

lovemama

Do NOT take bee propolis if you are ER+/PR+ !!! I am sooo regret I did not check the link www.FoodForBreastCancer.com before I started the recommended dosage of 3 times a day, 40 drops each time for 1 month , to treat my diabetes at beginning of this year.  Maybe, it is a coincident or it is indeed contributed by bee propolis(at least, my oncologist agreed bee propolis could be one of the causes), close to end of the 1 month treatment, started feeling shoulder pain.and tightness in my remaining breast After series of potassium level testing, x-ray, bone scan, CT scan, bone biopsy, I was dx stage 4 breast cancer, cancer  of the same type  ER+/PR+/HER 2+  recurred to the  bone after 8 years cancer free and as well, 8 years on Tamoxifen.

ats

Here are some links from studies that show that propolis is beneficial in preventing the growth of tumors in breast cancer.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0304383511002254

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10637-011-9667-8

https://europepmc.org/abstract/med/11497245

https://europepmc.org/abstract/med/20120113

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/2014/280120/abs/

I also have doubts about using propolis. But most of the content I found on the Internet is indicative of its usefulness.

whitelily

Hi thanks for posting this also royal jelly and bee propolis is  marketed in a lot of moisturisers mainly hand and face creams so that is good to know when making decisions about what to buy so many things to be wary of its a bit of a minefield x

Jill1998
Community Champion

May be worth asking this in the "Ask the nurses section " see what their advice is.Jill.
Gracey

Bee Propolis and Royal Jelly are not recommended for ER+/PR+ breast cancer patients

Whilst reviewing this site for potential complementary alternatives to help my wife overcome her ER+ BC, I came across mention of Bee Propolis for the first time. This looked promising so I decided to research the product a little more and found on the website foodforbreastcancer.com/foods/honey the following article:

Propolis and royal jelly are not recommended

Propolis (also known as bee glue or hive dross) is a waxy resinous substance used by honeybees in hive construction and maintenance. It is made by bees from plant resins, essential oils and pollen. The chemical composition of propolis can vary greatly from region to region. Propolis has been used in traditional medicine to treat a variety of ills and it continues to be used today. Propolis contains several compounds with suspected or demonstrated anti-cancer effects, including chrysin, caffeic acid phenethyl ester, and galangin. Brazilian propolis has been shown to suppress tumor-induced angiogenesis, apparently through action of its component artepillin C (i.e., 3,5-diprenyl-4-hydroxycinnamic acid, typically not found in propolis of European origin).

However, Brazilian propolis has also been found to cause acute kidney failure. Propolis has been shown to produce estrogenic effects in human breast cancer cells through activation of estrogen receptors. One 2016 study reported that Turkish propolis in low doses protected ER+/PR+ breast cancer cells by inhibiting cellular apoptosis (programmed cell death). We do not recommend taking propolis as a dietary supplement.

Royal jelly is a bee secretion that is used to feed the larvae in a honey bee colony. It has traditionally been thought to improve menopausal symptoms. Royal jelly has been found to have estrogenic effects in human breast cancer cells, enhancing their proliferation. It should also be avoided by breast cancer patients, survivors and those at high risk.

In respect of the above I will not be pursuing this as a complementary measure for my wife. has anyone any information contrary to the above? I would be most grateful for any advice in helping wifey get over this.

Many thanks.