360454posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone heard of taking turmeric?

39 REPLIES 39
Highlighted

Re: Has anyone heard of taking turmeric?

Turmeric is a famous and powerful Indian spice that comes from the turmeric plant. Curcumin is one of the many curcuminoids, present in turmeric. It is known for its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects.

Pure Turmeric powder in capsules, containing 95% curcuminoid extract, gives you the right dosage in one easy step and nothing stops you from spiced up your meal with turmeric as well.

Highlighted

Whenever I feel a sniffle coming or feel a bit low I bump up the turmeric in my diet! Try Golden Mylk (recipes widely available on internet) - delicious, comforting and good for you. It's healing properties are well documented. It needs to be made accessible by using black pepper and a small amount of appropriate fat with it. 

Highlighted

Hi hatam64

Where did your daughter buy the cancertame? 

Iv tried to look for it, however I can’t find it anywhere. 

Thank you 🙏 

Highlighted

My daughter took an indian medicine named cancertame for her 3rd stage breast cancer and it worked out great for her so I think its worth it. She took it along with chemotherapy to reduce side effects by advice of her doctor

Highlighted

Hi everyone
I have been taking Curcumin powder 3 times a day in hot almond milk, to help my immune system recover from Chemo and Surgery.
My Medical herbalist who had breast cancer prescribed it, Curcumin is safe and effective throughout treatments. My oncologist also recommended I use it.
It’s lovely in latte.
Highlighted

I am on Taxol/Pujerta/Herceptin. I always refer to the link www.foodforbreastcancer for my diet during chemo.

From the link, turmeric appears in both lists (1) foods that enhance the effectiveness of Taxol and (2) Foods that counteract herceptin's toxic side effects. I sometimes add 1 to 2 teaspoons tumeric powder to my food. I don't have radiation and so I did not check corresponding food list. But if in doubt, just don't take it as there are still many other food choices in the food lists during chemo. ??? 

additional information found from the link under 'cancer diet during taxol (paclitaxol) chemotherapy

"Many women undergoing chemotherapy develop abnormally low iron levels, which must be treated. Curcumin (found in tumeric) has been shown to be an iron chelator ( a compound that removes iron from the body) as well as acting as a copper chelator, which could contribute to anemia. However, excess iron is also to be avoided during chemotherapy."

"We cautions against taling curcumin.... in supplement form because of the possibility of unintended consequences. safe and effective dosages for these supplements during chemotherapy have not been established"

Highlighted

Morning! I've had 2 lots of surgery and I start chemo on 14/1 followed by radio. I have been looking on Turmeric User Group about taking golden paste and/or curcumin which was recommended by a friend. I'm a bit confused! Would you advise starting golden paste after chemo and radio? I understand it can affect the effectiveness of radio but I'm not sure about chemo. TIA

Highlighted

Hi Emma, think that’s wise and would be my plan! There is so much research around turmeric and curcumin at the moment and personally think it can only be a good thing to include once you’ve finished chemo. If you haven’t already, take a look at Canceractive, Chris Woollams site, he has some info there on going through chemo which may interest you. All the best and hope your treatment goes well, Kxx

Highlighted

Hi Kate,
Thank you for your information Kate, I am finding everything controversial but just trying to do the right thing and pray that this never returns!! 🤞..from reading various information plus being blessed with a food guru in the family.. I have decided not to take cucumin until my chemo has finished but will retake after..lots of love to all x x
Highlighted

Re: Cucumin C3 Complex with Chemo FEC-T

Hi Emma, I take turmeric but couldn’t answer your question about taking it during Chemo. I’m just on Letrozole and make my own Golden Paste which my Onc doesn’t have any problem with. If you’re on fb there is a group called Turmeric User Group UK they have files about many treatments etc. that may answer your question, and Chris Woollams website Canceractive may have some information, but personally think I would check with your Onc or Chemo unit regarding taking it during your cycles. I posted the GP recipe from the user group for someone on another thread under ‘Treatments and Medical Issues’ just a couple of days ago if you’re interested in making your own in the future. Hope your treatment goes well for you, Kxx

Highlighted

Re: Cucumin C3 Complex with Chemo FEC-T

HI, I am due my second cyle of chemo on Thursday FEC-T, 6 sessions every 3 weeks then due radiotherapy after.  I have been taking cucumin C3 complex since my diagnosis but I have been reading mix reviews about taking cucumin whilst having chemo treatment?  Can anyone help or give me some advise please?

Thank you

Highlighted

Hi Bibi44 thanx for the tip about blackcurrant oil. where can I get this? not having chemo, just radiotherapy but definelty keep forgetting thing so hopefully this would help xx
Highlighted

Hi Bibi44

Can you give me any more info on Co-Q10/Pycnogenol - are they two separate things or are they both the same.  I'm due to start Herceptin and 4th Chemo (which is Taxotere) on 4 January 2017 so wonder if I should start on Co-Q10 before that.

Many thanks.

Skye 

Highlighted

Remember tumeric is a fat soluble so take with a fat - oil etc. Added black pepper also aids absorption.
Highlighted

Turmeric
In my quest to get a bit more healthy i bought some turmeric powder in the supermarket last week and its surprising how easy it is to use it. I have put it in stir frys, gravy on roast dinner and most days I have a cuppa soup and pop some in that too.
Don't know if its going to help but at least I'm trying !!
Highlighted

The end is in sight Sue!! How wonderful for you.  Nothing like the day you get to tootle about at home instead of going for the next chemo. Bet you can't wait 😀🍾😀.  I bucked up pretty fast after my last one & woke up suddenly feeling full of the joys of Spring & wanting to get up & out there into the world again.  My onc said blood counts are usually back to normal fairly fast, 3-4 weeks, but the cells can't mount a proper response to infection for about 6 months, so you need to be a wee bit careful for a big longer. xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Bibby,

Thank you - I am doing fine! Great to hear from you and hoping you are recovering well.

In my good phase at the moment, working - and due to have a PICC fitted on Monday, as my vein is now 'burnt' all the way up my arm. two more to go - last one September 1! Then onto 15 x rads, recovery and replacement of my implant, as it will be damaged due to chemo and rads.  

No, I did not see the program - and thank you for the tip. Will try ans see whether I can get it on i player. I shall also pass it on to my mother, as my stepfather is in the early stages of it. 

Hugs and look after yourself

Sue xxx

Highlighted

Hi Sue

How are you doing? Hope things on the next FEC weren't too bad.  Re chemo brain, did you watch that Angela Rippon programme on Dementia a few weeks back? They recommended blackcurrant oil to prevent/defer dementia, so I thought I'd try it for chemo brain.  Couldn't get the oil, but got powder & after just a couple of weeks my brain's back to pre-chemo capabilities, which is a huge relief.  You would not believe some if the dumb things I did with chemo brain.  It was c.6 months after chemo finished, so could have been my time for brain to improve anyway, but might be worth a go.  I just put 1tsp in a smoothie. Take care of yourself xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Bibby44,

You made me smile, as I am currently taking supplements, too - especially to help with my chemo brain,as I am still working through my good weeks - post FEC chemo 4 now.

Unfortunately I had to stop taking CoQ10, as it interferes with my chemo, but will be back onto it, once it is done. Letrazole will be my drug, moving forward. I had to stop Maca root altogether (shame), because it is phytoestrogenic in small parts.

The others are Acetyl Carnitine 500mg per day and 100% pure Ribose 750g twice a day. 

To test - I stopped them for a week and then took them again - to me - it does make quite a difference.

And I shall be on sage capules soon to start manageing my hot flushes. Mind you, should they get easier, once chemo is done, I might not bother.

Yes, they frowned, but as they are not contraindicative, I take them. Just wish there was a supplement for chemo veins!!! 

Hugs

Sue xxx

Highlighted

I was told by my onc last week that it's ok to cook with fresh or dried turmeric, but you shouldn't take supplements because it interferes with the action of tamoxifen.  I have to say she sneered when I said I had been taking Co-Q10/Pycnogenol to improve my heart function during Herceptin, so she's not exactly an integrative oncologist.  However my heart's ejection fraction was 51 when I started & they cease treatment at 50.  The next test after 3 months it had gone up to 65%.  She was totally bemused & said that never improves, it can only go one way.  Didn't like to say it was the herbals, but I had a little smile to myself.  Co-Q10 & other sups can help stop damage during rads too. xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi LadyG

I so agree - many supplements are contraindicative to chemo treatment.

Hugs Sue

Highlighted

I always worry about people promoting herbal alternative treatments whilst they are on the full chemical route.

Highlighted

Hi Rainbow

Yes apricot kernels are dangerous if you have too many, always read the label and dont have more than stated!! x

Highlighted

Hi, I like to add turmeric to my cooking. ( http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/cancers-in-general/cancer-questions/can-turmeric-preven... ).

I had a look at the article below on apricot kernels but when I was watching Casualty recently someone had cyanide poisoning from eating them! Yes I know Casualty isn't real 😀 but this article seems to back it up..

https://thechronicleflask.wordpress.com/2015/02/06/please-dont-eat-apricot-kernels/

Highlighted

There is a lot of confusion with these supplements if you are taking hormone therapies too. I would also like a definative answer but find little. Some conflict with letrozole and tamoxifen!!

Ali xx
Highlighted

Highlighted

Highlighted

Hi Misa

My friends husband has done lots of research into cancer and complimentary therapies, and you are right, the pharmaceutical companies are behind a lot of complimentary therapies getting discredited. The drugs companies make too much money out of cancer drugs to allow us to go the natural route.

My friends hubby has even heard of doctors who mysteriously disappear in America if they promote alternative therapies.

At one point in America, a long time ago, all apricot trees were cut down because of the known benefits of using apricot kernels as a preventative measure for cancer.

Just look at all of the candidates in American elections and who their sponsors are - major drug companies!!! need we say more.

I am a real believer in alternatives, however as my BC was HER2 I had no option but to go with chemo, rads and Herceptin.

I am 2 years clear now, and I do take turmeric, vitamins c & d, evening primrose oil, calcium. I try where ever possible to use products that are paraben free, drink organic milk, avoid processed foods etc.

It cannot do us any harm, and it must be good not to use chemicals on the skin and in our foods.

Wendy xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Misa, sorry for the slow response - lots happening. As much as I prefer natural approaches, unfortunately I do not have the same choices as you. Did you have an Onco DX or EndoPredict to know your percentages? I finally had the results of my tissue samples after my mastectomy and although my nodes are clear the cancer was nearly 4 x larger than initially thought. By all accounts that is the nature of a lobular invasive. I, like you have to work, I am on my own and have to support myself. Unfortunately they Won't do either of the tests for me, as chemo or not does not appear to be an option. I rather not do the chemo, but if it really has to be - I have to put mind over matter and hope that my healthy cells, which will die - will come back..... To know whether you are post menopausal it would be best to get a blood test done to know for sure. There are indicators in your blood. Whether Tamoxifen or Letrazole is often dependant on that, due to the hormone levels still being produced in your body. Size therefore does not really come into it. Sue
Highlighted

Hi Sue H-S,  Interesting advice there - thank you.  My potted experience is a Stage II Diagnosis in Oct 2015. Lumpectomy in Nov 2015, Axillary Node Clearance in Jan 2016 which found all Nodes were negative.  I refused Chemo as A) I felt it would damage healthy tissue  B) I work full time and am the bread-winner so I didn't want to be with my head down the loo being sick etc C) The surgeon told me that I had a 84% chance of survival in 10 years time if I had no treatment at all after the second operation.  Therefore I couldn't see the benefit of Chemo as it would only add on 4% to the 84%.  It's a lot of upheaval for 4%.

I have not had an easy run of the appointment system with my hospital.  Effectively they forgot about me after the second operation and my Radiotherapy doesn't start until next Monday. I am way outside the NICE timelines as I was forgotten.  I have just been issued a box of Tamoxifen but am in two minds whether or not to take it as I don't like the look of the side-effects.  My blood tests showed I was post-menopusal but because I had a light period in Nov 2015, the doctor thinks I could be peri-menopausal.  I am 53 so would consider myself post-menopusal anyway.  That is why I'm wondering if Tamoxifen is right for me.

However, onto Turmeric.  I read up on natural therapies as much as I could when this dreaded illness found me and it is widely supported.  I use a combination of Turmeric, Apricot Kernels, Lemons soaked in water plus the occasional Asprin.  Whether or not this prevented the cancer cells spreading into my Lymph Nodes I don't know - but 11 x Nodes were removed and all were negative.  I started this 'natural mix' of medication as soon as I was diagnosed in October 2015.  Also - I started Yoga classes too although I'm unsure if that has contributed but I enjoy the social aspect.

Many doctors don't like natural therapies but that is because you cannot patent (make money!) out of natural herbs and fruits/vegetables.  I am convinced the pharmecutical companies are well plumped on money as Oncology is the biggest funded department in hospitals.  It is also the 'one size fits all' design of drugs like Tamoxifen.  I am 5ft 3 ins and weight 9 stone.  A neighbour on Tamoxifen is 5ft 10 ins and weighs much more than me but has the same dosage.  That is what worries me; do they really consider the right dosage for people?

Best Wishes

Misa

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Carolyn glad you brought the thread back to life. I am currently also researching. However, it might be more appropriate to look into Curcumin, as this is the active ingredient in Tumeric, which is so beneficial. Dosage will also be important. I intend to start with it, once I have my complete treatment plan confirmed. I am currently using with Maca Root Extract 2500mg per day, CoQ10 100mg per day in conjunction with slow release vitamin C 500mg per day and multivitamins. I had to stop HRT dead and start on Letrozole. My research showed I need to support my adrenal glands to avoid/reduce side effects which would impede on my very active lifestyle - such as fatigue, thinning skin, etc. So far, so good. I am in the early stages of hormone treatment and have none of the usual side effects yet, apart from hot flushes, but it is early days for me. I hope you find some of my ramblings of help.
Highlighted

Thought I would bring this thread back up as I have been reading Mail online today and it seems it has very good  ingredients for cancer sufferers. 

Any ladies out there found it any good ? Im always nervous with these things and stay safely in my  comfort zone with cod liver oil and vitamin C  daily.

Highlighted

Hi. If you're on facebook there is a 'Turmeric User Group' that you can request to join, there's a wealth of info on there and a recipe for turmeric paste (it is used widely for dogs and horses too so don't be put off!). They do not advocate the long term use of the turmeric tablets as there are potential risks. To be well absorbed by the body, turmeric has to be combined with fat (recommended coconut oil or virgin olive oil) and freshly ground black pepper. Turmeric has many properties and is also well known for reducing inflammation - it is widely used in India for thousands of years.

I am a complete cynic but after reading up and doing lots of research I have decided to start taking turmeric - more for my dodgy hip in the first instance as I want to get back to running, as its keeping me sane following my treatment. And I have to say, after a week it does seem to be easing, whether that is just natural recovery or the turmeric I don't know. However, speaking to my onco this week, he was happy for me to take it and agreed there is research being carried out into its cancer fighting properties. I'm recovering from surgery and didn't have chemo so am lucky, I'm on anastrozole though so if it helps with future aches and pains thats all good.  If you are on chemo tho please seek advice as turmeric in big quantities can interfere with some drugs apparently. 

Highlighted

You should  feel improvement now on. I will be 5 weeks tomorrow and really improving. Still get some horrid pains on and off but the healing takes awhile. Let us know your dates and maybe as Sharon suggested, we can start our rads thread. Be glad to start as you tend to feel out on a limb. Take care and lol xxxxx

Highlighted

Or info I meant to say - obviously must have fluid on the brain too xxx
Highlighted

Hi Pandorra,

Seeing oncologist on Tuesday so should get a date then. I agree al this in of and mutual support is great. Still have a lot of fluid retention which makes sleeping uncomfortable but I am a couple of weeks behind you - 3 and a bit weeks post op - so hoping it will reduce soon! xxxx
Highlighted

Hi Eileen, very interested in the turmeric tablet. I have read how good it is for you and will read up. This is why we are lucky to have all this info from our great friends on this site. Thanks ladies. Eileen, when do you start rads. I  see my onc. On 11th march so should then get my date. How are you. I started driving and seems ok, very strange though. Lol xxxxx

Highlighted

Thanks Gilly - I will investigate xx
Highlighted

No Eileen its not just your friend.  I take PUKKA organicTurmeric.  It is recommended in a number of books particulary 'the anti cancer diet' Dr Shervan Stevens.  also lots of good information on internet re the anti  inflammatory properties of Turmeric.

Take Care   Gilly x

Highlighted

Has anyone heard of taking turmeric?

Friend of a friend says she takes turmeric tablets and feels they are helping keep cancer at bay after her treatment and aiding recovery after chemo. Has anyone else heard of this or is it just her?