69184members
363213posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mushrooms and breast cancer (estrogen receptor positive)

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted

Re: mushrooms and breast cancer (estrogen receptor positive)

Found an interesting article here, has some useful info on the topic

Highlighted

Hi Monica,

Thank you so much for your input, I have took the recommended Mycotherapy and so far so good.

I do experience fatigue sometimes but I truly believe it is not as bad as it could be and helps to contribute to a better quality of life , physical, mental and emotional. 

Take care.

Sab

Highlighted

Hi 

I recently wrote an article re medicinal mushrooms and how they help the immune system. I hope it helps.

Monica McSherry MSc Nutritional therapy 

Medicinal Mushrooms
Medicinal mushrooms have a very long history of use in Asia, Europe and Russia.
The definition of mushroom is “a macrofungus with a distinctive fruiting body, which can be either hypogeous, below ground or epigeous (above ground), large enough to be seen with the naked eye and to be picked by hand.
There are several constituents in medicinal mushrooms, with 400 substances isolated from Ganoderma (reishi). The most studied constituents are polysaccharides, triterpenoids, nucleosides, ergosterols, fatty acids, protein/peptides and trace elements.
Polysaccharides in particular Beta-D- glucans, have immunomodulating effects on the body. The Beta-glucans have been termed “biological response modifiers,” due to the large array of functions attributed to them. Beta–glucans have the ability to stimulate macrophages, natural killer cells, T cells and the production of immune system cytokines.
Many of the medicinal mushrooms contain antioxidants such as ascorbic acid, carotenoids, ergothioneine, phenolic compound, tocopherols and superoxide dismutase.
Medicinal mushrooms show great promise for their anti-viral activity, the immunologic activity of the polysaccharides and other compounds shows the anti-viral activity against HIV and Influenza A and B.
Reishi
Reishi has a wide range of uses, research has shown it can be used therapeutically for cancer, immune system issues, cardiovascular and respiratory problems, as well urinary tract infections. Reishi is anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, protects the liver and inhibits blood platelet aggregation.
Cordyceps
Cordyceps is a parasitic fungus that grows out of insects. Cordyceps is specific for the respiratory tract, working as a bronchial dilator. Cordyceps aids oxygen into the cell and increasing endurance. Cordyceps is used for bronchial inflammation and as an expectorant.
Coriolus versicolor
Coriolus is one of the most studied mushrooms, in particular the glucan-protein complex which is used in cancer therapy, to counteract the immune depressing action of chemotherapy. In large studies Coriolus was shown to be useful for stomach cancer, colorectal cancer, small cell carcinoma and small cell lung carcinoma. The glucan-protein complex was shown to enhance the activity of the chemotherapy drugs.
Chaga mushroom
Chaga is well known for its anti-cancer properties and immunomodulating activity. Chaga grows mostly on birch trees, contains betulin and inotodiol, which shows promise in leukemia.
Shiitake
Shiitake has shown to have anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties, shiitake has also shown to reduce platelet aggregation.
Lion’s Mane
Lion’s Mane works mainly on the nervous system, it has been used to combat dementia and to stimulate nerve cellular growth, whist stimulating myelination, and improving cognitive ability

Highlighted

Hi,

A friend recommended the micotherapy and to be more specific Mico mama, have you heard or even tried it?

thanks. 🙂

Highlighted

You are welcome. I will try and post articles relating to diet and Nutrition, once a week. 

I’m back to work now, and getting on with my new normal life. 

Take care 

Highlighted

I agree! Food is medicine!

Highlighted

That's interesting!

I've been craving mushrooms lately. Perhaps it's my body's way of fighting back! I've also wanted lots of smoothies with raw fruit and veg. I feel sure diet has an effect. 

Thanks for posting.

Highlighted

Hi Jaybro

There are many different types of medicinal mushrooms, I have been taking a mushroom blend of Chaga, Lions mane, **bleep**ake, Maitake and Reishi. 

One of the most researched mushroom is turkey tail, I have been recommending mushrooms to my clients, undergoing cancer treatments. 

I can post some links from pub med re mushrooms and immunity. 

Im a Registered Nutritional Therapist, I did a degree and post graduate MSc in Nutritional Therapy. It’s great to see posts  regarding diet and Nutrition.

Food is Medicine. 😁

Highlighted

Hi,

please see the first referenced link, it compares mushrooms.

The common white button mushroom works.

Highlighted

Sounds great, I can add more of some of those to my diet since I’m oestrogen positive. But there are mushrooms, then there are mushrooms. Any indication of a certain type? And quantity? I had a mushroom stir fry today but can’t imagine that would have the slightest effect.

Highlighted

mushrooms and breast cancer (estrogen receptor positive)

Some interesting (albeit in vitro) studies showing anti-estrogen effect of mushrooms. Quotes:

"Bell peppers, broccoli, carrots, celery, green onions, and spinach dropped aromatase activity by about 20%, but mushrooms forced down the estrogen-producing enzyme more than 60%."

References:

nutritionfacts.org/video/breast-cancer-prevention-which-mushroom-is-best/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11739882ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17178902
sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/06/110606092736.htm

Mushrooms also have immune boosting beta glucans so seems like a healthy thing to add to one's diet.

Hope this info helps.