68527members
360429posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is the highest source of dietary estrogen in a typical diet?

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted

Re: what is the highest source of dietary estrogen in a typical diet?

Hi HwK

You have also equally received complaints about your posts. 
Please leave the forum alone, you have no place here.

Highlighted

Hi Sue,

My posts have received hugs/likes and I have received several private messages from members thanking me for the information.

People who suffer with any condition, including cancer, require a strong support network and that comes in many forms. It is great that forums such as this exist to help provide that support network and long may it continue.

Highlighted

Hello Sue, 

Very eloquently stated.

Best Wishes, 

Chick1 🐥 x

Highlighted
Community Champion

Absolutely no clarification required.

Everyone to their own - as I said, there are two sides to every story and even to the way data is interpreted.

On a side note: There is a difference between a well balanced diet and a diet, which is mainly based on foods with high phytoestrogen content - and this is where the jury is still out...

However, I would ask you kindly to stop giving advice to those, who have been diagnosed, are or have gone through breast cancer treatment. It is not kind nor considerate or helpful, when people are highly vulnerable, to peddle what may, or may not be good for someone with a breast cancer diagnosis.

The Forum is there to share experiences (of which you directly have none) and share tips of what may personally work for us as we go through treatment or recovery and to support each other. 

I cannot see any reason, for you being on this forum. Perhaps you could enlighten me...

Highlighted

Hi Sue,

You said: "Estrogen and and dietary estrogen (phytoestrogen)"

The above wording seems to imply you think dietary estrogen is phytoestrogen only when that is not the case, please see the original references cited.

You said "The jury is still out, whether a diet high in phytoestrogens for those who have been diagnosed with an estrogen positive breast cancer - is bad or ok."

According to BreastCancerNow: https://breastcancernow.org/information-support/facing-breast-cancer/living-beyond-breast-cancer/you...

Quote: "Current evidence suggests that a diet containing naturally occurring phytoestrogens is safe if you’ve had breast cancer and may be beneficial."

Further references:
nutritionfacts.org/video/is-soy-healthy-for-breast-cancer-survivors/
nutritionfacts.org/2014/09/18/can-eating-soy-prevent-breast-cancer/
Summary: youtu.be/bKlFfqqJe8c?t=108

You said "It is worth noting that EU and UK produced meat is likely to contain far less hormones than that of the US..."

It may contain less but in the original references I cited they were based on products in Germany (and Japan), direct link here: sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0308814697001507

You said: "Yes, eggs do contain phytoestrogens"

Eggs contain both phytoestrogens and female sex hormones. See link above and this study:
pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/jf801344x

If you need clarification on anything else, please let me know, thanks.

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi,

I am a little surprised to see your post, as it seems ill informed.

Estrogen and and dietary estrogen (phytoestrogen).

The jury is still out, whether a diet high in phytoestrogens for those who have been diagnosed with an estrogen positive breast cancer - is bad or ok.

All milk (whether from cows, goats, or humans) naturally contains small amounts of various hormones, including estrogen and progesterone. Because hormones like estrogen are fat-soluble, the level of hormones is higher in whole milk than in skimmed milk.

It is worth noting that EU and UK produced meat is likely to contain far less hormones than that of the US, for example. Starting in 1981, the EU adopted restrictions on livestock production limiting the use of natural hormones to therapeutic purposes, banning the use of synthetic hormones, and prohibiting imports of animals and meat from animals that have been administered the hormones.

Yes, eggs do contain phytoestrogens, but please note: Mainly in the yolk (30-40ug) rather than the white (~5ug phytoestrogens /100g). These amounts are small compared to foods with actually significant levels of phytoestrogens, i.e. soy (600x the amount/100g).

May I suggest you keep your dietary advice to yourself, as there are usually two sides to the story.

Should you be advocating a solely plant based diet - this could be equally deemed to be unhealthy.

Highlighted

@HEALwithKas wrote:

Hi Monica,

You said "...you should cite reliable studies, and not your personal opinions."

Can I infer you deem the studies I cited here as unreliable? If so, I'd be interested to know why, please elaborate.

Hi Kas

I find your posts intrusive and aggressive. I said in my last message be mindful of others, if you are trying to find clients on this forum for your business, please don’t. 
The forum is for women and men who are going through treatments, and looking for clear advice. 
I am not sure why you have targeted this forum, however I feel you are being insensitive. 
I am going to report you. 

Highlighted

Hi Monica,

You said "...you should cite reliable studies, and not your personal opinions."

Can I infer you deem the studies I cited here as unreliable? If so, I'd be interested to know why, please elaborate.

Highlighted

Hi Kas 

I am a MSc qualified Nutritional Therapist and have had breast cancer. 
I recommend when you try and give advice on here re dietary recommendations, you should cite reliable studies, and not your personal opinions. 
I understand you are trying to help, however this forum is for women who have had, or going through breast cancer treatment. 
Please be mindful of others. 

Highlighted

I agree that cherry picking / bias is a problem when it comes to information on health but in some cases the evidence can be weighted in favour of one option compared to the others. And quite often a simple and safe dietary modification (e.g. 1 brazil nut daily for selenium) could potentially be very beneficial (see my other thread).

As a side note, if anyone can present evidence contrary to what I've said on this forum feel free to message me and let me know, as I'm always willing to learn 🙂

Highlighted

Hello Kas,

In answer to your specific question, I meant that it can be a controversial subject that people can strongly disagree on and where advice and research to support or deny a claim  can go one way or/and the other, with research sometimes being cherry picked depending upon the perspective of a person.   

Regards,

Chick

Highlighted
Community Champion

Well, Chick hasn’t replied so I think I will. It’s a hot potato in my opinion as it’s very personal. We are all trying to manage this disease as best we can. A disease, I might point out, which you personally do not have any experience of. I suspect some ulterior motive in your post as normally they are requests for help and support, not questions. A question, furthermore, which could be answered reading a medical journal or a good nutrition book. As my Onco points out, research is normally funded, takes years to carry out, and has a result. Reading does not constitute research.

Highlighted

Hi Chick,

I am fortunate not to have cancer, nor had any cancer diagnosis in the past. My aunt and work colleague were diagnosed with breast cancer however which led me to research further on this matter and I was surprised at what I found, hence sharing some info, as it may help others. I am a nutrional therapist so am always interested in the impact of diet/lifestyle on various conditions.

Can you clarify why you said "diet seems such a confusing hot potato, especially for oestrogen receptive cancer."? Thanks.

Highlighted

Hello Kas,

You seem to write a number of posts  citing research or other advice regarding diet and nutrition.  I am interested in hearing your personal journey on such matters.  For example,  the lifestyle and diet changes you have made if any,  and how you feel that this has helped you in terms of cancer and any treatments that you have undertaken.  Of course it is up to you but it may be helpful  when diet seems such a confusing hot potato, especially for oestrogen receptive cancer.  Apologies if you have already posted about your personal journey and I  have carelessly missed it. Perhaps you can supply the link to any post/posts.

Best Wishes to you,

Chick x

Highlighted

what is the highest source of dietary estrogen in a typical diet?

1) dairy (approx 75%)

2) eggs

3) meat/fish

Increased dairy consumption has been associated with increased endometrial cancer risk, however the association between breast cancer is mixed.

Source references:
nutritionfacts.org/video/the-effects-of-hormones-in-dairy-milk-on-cancer/
academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/80/1/5/4690293