4 years and coping with instability and reoccurance

recently two of my friends have been re-diagnosed with cancer again. I feel this has caused me great instability and fear for myself. I am tired of people thinking its 4 years now you must be OK,

I don’t feel like that, I feel more afraid this year because of that. Its also my 40 birthday and I feel concerned as to whether I will reach that stage of my life. It’s hard because people just don’t understand that fear and uncertainity and it doesn’t help with insensitve responses like ‘well you could get hit by a car’ which I don’t find very helpful with managing that fear.

Please can anyone else relate to this?

Yes, I can certainly relate to it…especially to ‘buses’ scenario. Bc seems to shatter our confidence in life itself…I’m so sorry you are feeling that way…

why not not pop into the ‘need a hug, or kick up the backside ‘ thread? Lots of lovely ladies feeling pretty much like you,

xxxhugs, Moijanxx

actually you said ‘car’ but I keep being told ‘anyone of us could go under a bus’ which is a similar theme…many people just don’t know what to say, or, when to keep their mouths shut!

I think most of us can relate at sometime or another, I’m pretty ok most of the time but I’m coming up to my 3rd year mammo and am beginning to feel a little fed up with it all now, Its my 50th next month and I’m delighted to be here to celebrate it but could do without waiting on results in the lead up to be honest! 

I also know people having reacurrances and secondaries which doesn’t help but we have to try and appreciate that we are doing ok and there will always be these things happening around us Xx Jo 

I can sympathize with you I am 4 years on diagnosed April 14 age 51 I feel bit cheated as my mammogram call didn’t come through at age 50 I received 2 months after being diagnosed . If I had had mammogram my breast cancer would not have as been invasive as it was . I can’t change that now . My life has been so fulfilled I have met most amazing group of friends who have had breast cancer we have all had our little scares along the way we fundraise we are arranging our second Ball I still do have wobbles but I make sure I make life count embrace it . I am hopefully on last journey of operations I’m having my good boob uplifted and then 3D tattoo on recon boob this I hope helps put in to perspective . Xx

I sympathise - I am mostly ok, but have my 2nd mammogram coming up. I hate it most to smile and say “I am fine”, but I do to avoid any silly remarks that I know I would have if I said I was not - some people might be genuinely worried for you, though and cover it up a bit clumsily.

I totally understand where you are all coming from. I have just posted on Ask the Nurses. I am 9 years down the line and at the moment I feel I am going through a bad time. I can’t get it out of my head is it time now that it will come back. Think I’m going to call the help line and have a chat with the Nurses. I hope I will feel better after having a chat x

Hello

Im eleven years on (almost to day) from my initial diagnosis. I too made friends along the way who had reoccurrence and each time it happens you feel like your just waiting your turn. 

I still get panicky now, this year I’ve had three very big scares and all have turned out to be nothing. It does ease with time, I was extremely paranoid for the first few years but it’s got so much better- but for me at least it’ll never go away and unless someone has had cancer themselves they will never understand -  that’s what I say to people who Like to tell me that I could get hit by a bus tomorrow ?.

Lots of love x