Blood count is just very slightly under normal range

Hi All -

Had some blood tests done last week & my blood count is just very slightly under normal range - GP said to have another blood test in 6 weeks to check this rather than considering it to be abnormal.

I’m now seriously panicking & my head is swirling round & round.

I’m thinking that the blood count is slightly down because the cancer has spread, plus the fact that GP said abormal.

what reasons could be causing this as my blood count has always been ok before.

I’m so anxious in general that every tiny thing affects me like this.

I can hardly breathe & keep re-reading the letter over & over.

Please can any one help.

Hi MoDo

I really feel for you. I have a feeling things like this are going to create similar havoc in my head, though I’m doing ok right now by putting them safely in a box of irrational worries - and it seems to be working.

Presumably your GP is aware of your history of breast cancer. When finding your blood count lower than normal, s/he must have taken that into consideration and would have packed you off for a check immediately. Time is always of the essence. But so many factors affect your blood count, anaemia being the obvious one. I would advise you to get an appointment with your GP, by telephone if necessary, and explain that you were too shocked to ask at the time but are now very concerned that breast cancer may have come back - and you’d like it ruled out for your peace of mind. It’s the last bit that is so important. You can’t wait another 6 weeks.

Hope it works out well for you x

I am coming up for 6 years post diagnosis back last year I had blood tests as doctor put my to rest not that it did haha . Anyway my platelets were low they kept recalling me in to make an appointment I was so scared I didn’t go especially after googling and seeing the worst . Eventually I rang the doctor who said they were bit low so had to have repeats which I did . They increased back to normal range but still have to checked sends your brain into overdrive cancer never stops haunting you . 6th mammogram yesterday ?all is ok as have booked to go to Florida I end of June so excited xxx

Hello there. I’ve have had a low blood count this week to and my GP says it’s the Tamoxifen. I have to leave it off for a week then get more bloods done. I’m so anxious at not taking it as it’s the only thing that I can do to stop BC coming back! But she said I’am more at risk for infection which is my main health worry at the moment! I feel for you. Let us know how you get on